bhxdtw
Topic Author

Best European Airline Long Haul Business Class

Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 am

I'm thinking of taking my wife home to the UK next year, I'd like to travel with a European Airline from ORD and stop off someplace before heading to England.
Who would you say now has the more superior hard and soft products in J class, preferably on acft types currently operating from ORD?
If I had to guess I'd think LX from what I've heard from others.

Any advice appreciated!
Thx

J

TK787

Re: Best European Airline Long Haul Business Class

Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 am

Have you considered TK?
They have a great J product on their ORD-IST-LHR flights.
You could fly all segments with lie-flat A333 or B777s and if you plan ahead this might come with a very long layover in Istanbul, where you can even get a free tour of the city, complimentary of TK. TK also offers hotel rooms at IST for long layovers or you can just rest in one of the best lounges in the world at TK's IST lounge between flights.
TK flies daily ORD-IST on 777s and you can connect to more than 7 dailies from IST to London with varying equipment.
And I bet the J fare is going to be very reasonable.
I just did a research and for travel in May-June; JFK-IST-LHR-IST-JFK in Y is less than$900. There are also some restricted J IST-LHR-IST fares for around $400.
Bon Voyage :)

LupineChemist

Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 am

KL's product doesn't look like much and the lounge in ORD T5 leaves a lot to be desired, but that seat is probably the most comfortable J seat I've flown on. Actually ORD-AMS is one of the few times in my life I was desiring for there to be more of a flight because I was so well rested and wanted more time to wake up and enjoy breakfast slowly.

Also, being able to walk out at AMS directly into the departures area without reclearing security is nice. Going to the UK, you won't even have to go through passport control, just walk off the plane and head to the lounge.

debonair

Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 am

bhxdtw wrote:

True, did the flight myself and LX is offering a very solid and consistent product - ZRH is easy to navigate. Next, without a doubt, is OS. The B767-300ER is cosy and the DO&CO catering outstanding.

TK is also a fantastic airline, but my own experience on the last flights were, sadly, a shocking drop in quality and service. Also, often a/c-changes and sub-leased a/c (e.g. ex KQ B777) leaving to different standards and products.

trijetsonly

Tue May 16, 2017 11:40 am

By choosing Lufthansa you will get the 747-8! There can't be a better choice than a 747.
Happy Landings

readytotaxi

Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 am

How about Air Berlin, their J product is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1f3XLZdJTg
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Bostrom

Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

I'd say that the best hard J class product on European airlines can be found on Swiss, SAS or Austrian. Maybe KLM's new seats as well.

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks guys,
Really appreciate your answers. Its been years since I flew Club World (757 Long haul exBHX era)
However I heard its not as well received as other airlines product.

Also, how do airlines handle infants in business class? Are they frowned upon?

conaly

Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 am

TK787 wrote:
Have you considered TK?

I can only advise not to fly with them. Their business-product isn't ANY better than for example Lufthansa on long range routes. I was really disappointment with them. Seats are fine but not better than competitor's. But the food in business was nowhere on a level I expected in business. In fact it looked (and tasted) more like the typical eco-food with some additional side dishes. The next thing is the transfer in IST. The airport is a nightmare. Overcrowded as hell. You can't walk five meters in a straight line because you always need to evade some people walking, standing or sitting in your way (yes, sitting, because in some areas there are not enough seats available). And also you will have to add quite a lot flight time. Two hours more on your first flight than i.e. to ZRH or MUC and another four hours on a narrow-body from IST back to LHR. I absolutely can not understand how TK won the Skytrax award for best airline in Europe a few times in a row. They are nowhere near the top 5 imho. The only plus points are the cheap prices...

LH has a good product and you could fly on a 747-8 to FRA. LX I've never experienced in business but their eco-service was very nice and ZRH is one of the best airports to transfer in Europe. SAS via CPH could also be a good possibility, but I can't speak from experience here, just what I heard from colleagues.

LupineChemist

Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Thanks guys,
Really appreciate your answers. Its been years since I flew Club World (757 Long haul exBHX era)

Club World was completely transformative when it came out and then it's stayed pretty stagnant. It's not a bad product, but it's definitely on the older side of the market now.

As far as infants, not a problem, you'll just get a bassinet seat where you can place the baby. Of course in a premium cabin there may be a few more unwritten rules regarding decorum. So if the little one starts to cry, you can take them to the galley area if they just need coddled for a bit (assuming it's feasible at that moment). That said for as much as people like to complain about babies, I've found plenty of bad behavior by adults who should know better and lots of kids that have been absolute joys to be around. So...just do what makes sense.

TYCOON

Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I've flown on almost all the European airlines' long-haul business classes, and hands down best is Air France with the new business class seat. But not sure whether they fly there own metal these days to ORD or code-share with DL.
Drawback with LH and TK is no direct aisle access on any aircraft from the window seats.

Bostrom

Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 pm

conaly wrote:
LH has a good product and you could fly on a 747-8 to FRA. LX I've never experienced in business but their eco-service was very nice and ZRH is one of the best airports to transfer in Europe. SAS via CPH could also be a good possibility, but I can't speak from experience here, just what I heard from colleagues.

I've never transfered in Zürich so I can't compare them, but CPH is a great airport for transfer. On all my visits there, the experience have been great. A rather small airport very smooth and simple transfer. And if you're transfering non-schengen to non-schengen your arrival and departure gates will at the most be 2-300 metres from each other.

jetwet1

Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
I'm thinking of taking my wife home to the UK next year, I'd like to travel with a European Airline from ORD and stop off someplace before heading to England.
Who would you say now has the more superior hard and soft products in J class, preferably on acft types currently operating from ORD?

Any advice appreciated!
Thx

J

I flew trans Atlantic 12 times (6 round trips) last year on LX, the seat is okay, the crews are good, the food, well that goes from average to horrible, but food is subjective at best.

debonair wrote:
True, did the flight myself and LX is offering a very solid and consistent product - ZRH is easy to navigate. Next, without a doubt, is OS. The B767-300ER is cosy and the DO&CO catering outstanding.

However, yes ZRH is a great airport, transfers are so easy, really, I wish every airport could be like ZRH,

I was giving OS some serious thought for this years round of EU flights, from everything I have read, they are a better bet than LX.

bhxdtw wrote:
Thanks guys,

Club was good when it came out, but now, it just needs a major update, upper deck on a 747 is hard to beat, but other than that, BA is never in my plans.

Babies, tricky subject, I have been lucky on long haul, no screaming kids (a few screaming adults) but yes, just be considerate of others as I am sure you are.

TYCOON wrote:
I've flown on almost all the European airlines' long-haul business classes, and hands down best is Air France with the new business class seat. But not sure whether they fly there own metal these days to ORD or code-share with DL.

I've only read trip reports about it, but yes, the new J on AF seems to be pretty good.

I have to ask, why the stop in Europe before heading to the UK ?

Is VS still serving ORD ? Honestly, if you catch them on a good day, they are hard to beat, if it's not a good day, then they are above average and as you are flying in J, you get to use the LHR Clubhouse on the way back.

PatrickZ80

Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 pm

bhxdtw wrote:

As long as they behave it's no problem.

Another airline not mentioned yet and worth investigating is LOT Polish Airlines. Quite a nice airline lately.

dc9northwest

Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I've only read trip reports about it, but yes, the new J on AF seems to be pretty good.

If you care about the hard product, AF J is good.

If you care about service, it's not.

jetwet1

Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Paris is next year, I was thinking about AF as the hard product does look very.good, AF was going to be my choice.....

TYCOON

Sun May 21, 2017 7:20 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
dc9northwest wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Paris is next year, I was thinking about AF as the hard product does look very.good, AF was going to be my choice.....

Believe me, both AF's hard and soft business product is the best across the Atlantic in my view... and I have flown most of them (IB, LH, LX, KL, AZ, BA, SK, SN, AC, DL, VS, UA and AA). There is just something about AF flight attendants that I find so professional and they don't invade your space. With some airlines (namely US and UK carriers) I find them too chatty. And on others, namely LH, I find them too cold and robotic lacking any elegance. Just my two cents.