Skisandy
Topic Author

Printed boarding pass vs. smartphone

Sun May 14, 2017 3:43 pm

A small pet peeve of mine:

What is so great about having your boarding pass on your cell phone instead of using a printed one?

Try 10 times in front of the TSA until the reader finally recognizes you? Holding up the line of us old
folks with a printed boarding pass which takes 0.2 seconds to hand to the officer?

Fumbling at the gate to find the boarding pass, among all the Facebook and WhatsApp baloney?
And again a major struggle to make the reader understand your info, airline personnel struggling to
desperately wave that cell phone in front of the reader... like in a supermarket checkout 30 years ago....?

Why the obsession that each and every new technology and/or gadget is better?

When it actually sucks!

Adipasquale

Re: Printed boarding pass vs. smartphone

Sun May 14, 2017 3:55 pm

I almost always use a mobile boarding pass, and have never had a problem scanning it. As to why people would use a mobile boarding pass, I can't speak for everyone, but here's my reason: I like to check into my flights as soon as possible (usually 24 hours before departure) as it gives me peace of mind and saves time. I have the FlyDelta app on my phone, and check in through that. If I'm flying international this saves time because I can enter all my passport info and just show up and drop off my bag. If I'm flying domestic, many times I won't have a bag to check and I can skip the check in and baggage drop line altogether and head straight to TSA. So while it may take a few more seconds for some people to scan their phone, it saves a lot more time.
Could I print out a paper boarding pass at home? Yes, but its another thing to carry besides my phone, and by not printing it, I'm saving a little paper. Also, I will almost always have the FlyDelta app open to stay updated on gate info, as well as boarding and departure times, so its not a big deal to flip quickly to my mobile boarding pass.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

StTim

Sun May 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Always use the mobile app. Not had an issue with it being read. Saves paper. Keeps a track of my flights.

VTORD

Sun May 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Adipasquale wrote:
So while it may take a few more seconds for some people to scan their phone, it saves a lot more time.
Could I print out a paper boarding pass at home? Yes, but its another thing to carry besides my phone, and by not printing it, I'm saving a little paper...... its not a big deal to flip quickly to my mobile boarding pass.

+1
Haven't really had an issue with the scanning except once when I dropped my phone & cracked the screen at DFW. But hardly the scanner's fault. I was able to go back and get a paper boarding pass and they even let me keep my number in the line!

Both Android (widgets) and iOS (scroll left on main screen) will let you flip to the app pretty quickly. Hardly a hassle.
Twitter: @spottingfoodie

DL747400

Sun May 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Another feature of the FlyDelta all that I really like is receiving a notification on my phone when my checked bag has been scanned into the baggage system and another notification when the bag is loaded onboard the aircraft. One less thing to worry about when traveling brings peace of mind.

I personally don't add my mobile boarding passes to the Apple Wallet very often (having access to the boarding pass available within the app is fine for me) but I do save my Sky Club membership card in the Apple Wallet.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Bricktop

Sun May 14, 2017 4:07 pm

I've never had a problem scanning. When I am on the road, it's not always convenient to print out boarding passes, especially abroad. It probably took longer to type that post than you've spent waiting.

masgniw

Sun May 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I don't know what phone you're using, but iPhone couldn't be easier. Your boarding pass pops up automatically on your lock screen before your flight. One swipe and your boarding pass shows up, screen brightness on high, ready to scan.

Jo8338

Sun May 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Skisandy wrote:

What is so great about having your boarding pass on your cell phone instead of using a printed one?

Try 10 times in front of the TSA until the reader finally recognizes you? Holding up the line of us old
folks with a printed boarding pass which takes 0.2 seconds to hand to the officer?

Fumbling at the gate to find the boarding pass, among all the Facebook and WhatsApp baloney?
And again a major struggle to make the reader understand your info, airline personnel struggling to
desperately wave that cell phone in front of the reader... like in a supermarket checkout 30 years ago....?

When it actually sucks!

We are trying to save paper and help the environment.

NickLAX

Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm

This week; IND Airport: no ability to print before I got to the airport, kiosk line was 20 people deep, went and use the mobile app. No issues at TSA as they use a proper image scanner that scans from the bottom. The gate on departure though used a purpose built portable barcode scanner that scans from the top - fails half the time on my phone, the scanners you place your phone down on on are imaging and are really good at scanning paper, smartphones, etc, etc. Went to the gate before boarding and asked for a paper one, low and behold person before me spent 10 seconds trying to get their phone to scan. So bottom line, if PROPER scanners are used (e.g. imaging vs traditional barcode legacy scanners) then it's NEVER an issue.

UA and AA on new gate hardware use proper imaging, e.g. ALL of DFW for AA is imaging - hint; if you place phone face/barcode down it will work QUICKLY, if it's phone display, barcode is up while it scans then its legacy and all bets are off for a quick scan.

Image Explain on the same: Image

jeffh747

Sun May 14, 2017 5:07 pm

I almost always use a paper boarding pass, but I can see the convenience of using a mobile boarding pass. One less paper to worry about in your bag, one less stop to make at the airport. Despite me almost always using a paper boarding pass (to keep for my collection), a mobile boarding pass actually saved my ass one time. I was running late for a flight because I was planespotting and when I realized what time it was, it was already 15 minutes until boarding! Parked the car, ran through security while pulling it up on my phone, and boom, barely made it.
A318 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B737 B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8 E145 E190 MD82 MD83

NWAROOSTER

Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 pm

The amount of paper being saved is negligible by using a smart phone. Your smart phone could take a dump. I was in electronics for 40 years. Carry a paper boarding pass in case your smartphone takes a holiday and you won't have worry about you not taking your holiday or business trip. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

JoeCanuck

Sun May 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
Skisandy wrote:

When it actually sucks!

The toxins it took to make your smart phone and the environmental carnage created by recycling it when you discard it for the next shiny, new thing, outweighs by orders of magnitude any negative environmental impact of creating a paper boarding pass....out of renewable, natural wood.
What the...?

Cubsrule

Sun May 14, 2017 5:49 pm

JoeCanuck wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:
Skisandy wrote:

When it actually sucks!

The toxins it took to make your smart phone and the environmental carnage created by recycling it when you discard it for the next shiny, new thing, outweighs by orders of magnitude any negative environmental impact of creating a paper boarding pass....out of renewable, natural wood.

The smartphone is a sunk cost, though. It is as bad for the environment without the boarding pass as with it.

For me it's a question of convenience. If I'm staying in the Westin at DTW and have direct terminal access nowhere near a ticket counter, I use mobile. If I walk past the ticket counter or a kiosk anyway, I usually print.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Yflyer

Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm

VTORD wrote:
+1
Haven't really had an issue with the scanning except once when I dropped my phone & cracked the screen at DFW. But hardly the scanner's fault. I was able to go back and get a paper boarding pass and they even let me keep my number in the line!

Both Android (widgets) and iOS (scroll left on main screen) will let you flip to the app pretty quickly. Hardly a hassle.

Me too. I've probably had more issues trying to scan boarding passes I printed at home on my cheap inkjet printer than with mobile boarding passes on my phone.

JoeCanuck wrote:

Except it's not like the people using paper boarding passes are choosing to not purchase a smartphone and just using paper instead. So the person using the mobile boarding pass and saving a little paper is causing a little bit less damage to the environment that the person who who still has a smartphone and also uses paper in addition to it.

And if you're going to count the environmental damage from manufacturing smartphones, then you might as well also count the environmental damage from manufacturing the printer you used to print you boarding pass... and the self-checkin kiosks at the airport, etc.

mjoelnir

Sun May 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I always print out the paper version, if I get near a printer between checking and flying, a paper does not shut down on you when the battery is empty. I also have it in my phone, a backup is always good.
The problem with people trying to find the right boarding pass and scanning it, seems to be with people not used to flying, but there are enough of them to hold up the lines. There are also people that do not realise that constant use of the phone leads to the phone shutting down in inappropriate moments, like boarding.

Kickert

Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 pm

When traveling -- especially internationally -- it isn't always easy to print your boarding pass. I personally prefer to check in early and then use a kiosk to print my boarding pass when I get to the airport, but I can completely understand situations where having a printed boarding pass isn't always easy.

poerschkenator

Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 pm

A further benefit is that during IROPS, the boarding pass dynamically updates as alternate flights are booked, without needing to wait in line at a kiosk or customer service counter for a new boarding pass. On multiple occasions I've had a flight delayed or canceled, called the customer service hotline to sort out alternate flights, and then been able to walk directly to the new gate and board the new flight. This is particularly helpful in cases where there are major issues (e.g. winter storm at ORD), customer service lines are long, and I may end up bounced between several sets of flights as delays evolve.

LTU932

Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Kickert wrote:
When traveling -- especially internationally -- it isn't always easy to print your boarding pass. I personally prefer to check in early and then use a kiosk to print my boarding pass when I get to the airport, but I can completely understand situations where having a printed boarding pass isn't always easy.
It is not always possible to get a boarding pass online. Restrictions apply. Last time I flew UA out of HAM, I couldn't print the boarding card at all, much less check in. I wasn't able to check in until I went through the security interview/docs check. And even though the UA app can scan your passport, I still had to check in at the airport. At SJO, I don't think UA offers OLCI anyway, so I didn't even bother trying to check in online. With AA when flying via LHR and DFW, I was able to check in online (though I still had to do the security interview/docs check), but they had to reissue my boarding passes during boarding in LHR for LHR-DFW and DFW-SJO.

On the other hand, when I flew KL in December, I checked in online, but I still had to go to a counter to get a boarding pass for PTY-SJO. I checked in online and still opted to get a paper boarding pass from the kiosk (for my collection). Curiously, one boarding pass was for HAM-AMS and AMS-PTY, while the second boarding pass was for PTY-SJO. Interesting enough, even though I was officially required to get my BP for PTY-SJO at the counter and despite general concerns, that second boarding pass was accepted in PTY, despite not having the boarding order information that others had on their boarding passes. So in the end, I ended up going to the counter just for a short passport check and to check in my bags.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Mortyman

Sun May 14, 2017 7:57 pm

In Norway we use the phone as buss ticket ... and yes usually People don't have their phone loaded and ready for scan and it would be quicker to buy a regulare ticket or clip a regulare ticket. Electronic tickets / boarding pass on the phone has it's benefits ... provided that the passengers have the phone ready and boardingpass ready for swipe

dc9northwest

Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm

I ain't got a smartphone... :D

Tried to use my tablet once, because the damn check-in kiosk wouldn't spit out the boarding pass and there was no way in hell I was gonna join the a 300-person queue... that went well as hell!

Didn't work at security in the normal channel before the queue minder person helped.

Then at the gate I think it pissed off the gate agents more than anything else and they entered some commands on the computer rather than scan the beastly thing :)

Paper BPs all the way as far as I'm concerned!

LTU932

Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Mortyman wrote:
In Norway we use the phone as buss ticket ... and yes usually People don't have their phone loaded and ready for scan and it would be quicker to buy a regulare ticket or clip a regulare ticket. Electronic tickets / boarding pass on the phone has it's benefits ... provided that the passengers have the phone ready and boardingpass ready for swipe
Deutsche Bahn wants to get rid of paper tickets as well, but I sincerely doubt they will achieve that goal because of people who don't have the means, either because they don't have a smartphone, or by choice. Electronic tickets in aviation have at least the possibility that you can even check in with just your passport and without the need for a voucher code, plus you can see your itinerary online and even print it if you want. But there will always be reasons why going fully electronic with certain documents ain't gonna happen in the short term.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AirKevin

Sun May 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Skisandy wrote:

On December 14th, 2015 I was due to fly home after helping my parents move to their new house. At the time that this took place, they did not have Wi-Fi at their house, and we were at Sea World the day before, so I certainly wasn't going to be able to have one printed out before I got to the airport. As soon as I was able to check in for the flight, I checked in with my phone and had the boarding pass in my hand. As I did not have any bags to check, this saved me the time of having to print one at the airport, as I went straight to security once I got to the airport.
Captain Kevin

Superunkown

Sun May 14, 2017 9:42 pm

So basically, what you guys are saying is that both systems should live together for the time being. Get the digital BP, but in case you run out of battery, have a cracked screen, the reader doesn't work, or even don't own a smartphone, you can always rely on paper BPs.

jnev3289

Sun May 14, 2017 11:10 pm

I always thought if the airline really wanted to encourage mobile BPs they should offer priority boarding for people with them. Of course this could gum up boarding, but it is a start

LTU932

Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 am

Superunkown wrote:
So basically, what you guys are saying is that both systems should live together for the time being. Get the digital BP, but in case you run out of battery, have a cracked screen, the reader doesn't work, or even don't own a smartphone, you can always rely on paper BPs.
And let's not forget what I mentioned, when security checks during check-in impede that you can get a digital boarding pass (e.g. for flights to the US or when the airline is required to physically check for a valid visa). People in this thread are forgetting that even if you want to check-in online, there are reasons beyond your control that prevents you from doing OLCI and as long as these reasons exist, boarding passes will not go fully digital like airline tickets have in the 2000s.

flyingcat

Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 am

Darn you young people and your technology. I prefer wooden props on my aircraft and want air crews to use a sextant. Now thats the proper way to cross the Pacific in less than a week. :old:

RoySFlying

Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 am

Fortunately, here in Australia we don't have to worry about presenting a boarding pass at security. With domestic travel even people who are not travelling can go through to departures as they pass through the same security as the passenger. International is different as you need to go through border protection and there we have e-Gates at which all you need to is enter the flight number and scan your passport. The only place a boarding pass will be checked is at the gate and at the door of the aircraft.

I like to have a printed pass for the reasons stated: flat battery, etc. But I still like the mobile pass, particularly if travelling overseas without access to a printer. While some passengers might cause hold ups with not having their phones ready, this even happens with printed passes. They get put in a pocket or a book and then the passengers can't remember what they did with it. Unfortunately, it is difficult to change human behaviour. Even where passes are not checked at security, passengers can see that the person in front of them had to remove things from their pocket, remove belts and/or shoes. Yet do they prepare themselves to do the same?

As to the environmental impact of one versus the other, paper might come from a renewable resource like tree but all sorts of chemicals are used to bleach the pulp to produce that nice what paper or card. Also, wood production can result in the removal of mixed forests with monoculture which may be more susceptible to disease and leads to a reduction in natural habitat for a number of species. Whichever way you go, there is an environmental impact.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

aerolimani

Mon May 15, 2017 1:29 am

Yflyer wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:

Except it's not like the people using paper boarding passes are choosing to not purchase a smartphone and just using paper instead. So the person using the mobile boarding pass and saving a little paper is causing a little bit less damage to the environment that the person who who still has a smartphone and also uses paper in addition to it.

And if you're going to count the environmental damage from manufacturing smartphones, then you might as well also count the environmental damage from manufacturing the printer you used to print you boarding pass... and the self-checkin kiosks at the airport, etc.

Not to mention, my current smartphone has already been used for nearly 100 boarding passes. Over time, over all the customers not printing passes, that's going to add up to a lot of paper.

My only complaint is when I have my mobile boarding pass(es), but when I hand over my checked baggage, sometimes the agent prints boarding passes anyhow. And yet, my mobile pass(es) remains valid. I've tested and confirmed that.

VapourTrails

Mon May 15, 2017 1:44 am

Skisandy wrote:

I use the phone boarding pass with QF all the time now because I like to think I am progressive when using new and technological ways of doing things.

I also use it because it is efficient and I can save time at the airport by not checking in once I am there.

Once I got used to it and was shown how to use Apple Wallet to save my boarding passes I've never looked back.

I like Apple Wallet because it means you don't need to be connected to WiFi to access the pass. After my flight I usually take a screenshot of it to keep, and then delete it.

You need a reliable phone with a reliable battery. Yes, I have briefly held up lines at boarding gates because the scanner occasionally has trouble reading them, or they need to be positioned just right under the scanner to work. Staff and more pax are getting more used to doing this now though. I do fairly often need assistance at the Bag Drop because I don't place the phone on the right angle for the scanner to read it, never an issue with the paper boarding passes.

Some airports don't have the scanners, they issue you with a paper boarding pass at the counter, where you usually need to check in again anyway (with a staff member).

You do get that annoying piece of paper that is required when you get to the aircraft, where the electronic boarding pass is no longer acceptable, which seemed a bit illogical to me, but that's the rules and security.

Once I had a senior moment, can't blame jet lag as an excuse, and I checked in again at the airport, and got a paper pass, the system still worked though.

ASQ400

Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 am

I've used the phone pass with UA at EWR, SFO, ATL, and IAD. It worked every time.
Going to try using the smartwatch boarding pass at SFO and DCA this summer
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

ACDC8

Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 am

It took me a while to warm up to using a smartphone boarding pass but now I cringe having to print one out. Its simply more convenient checking in, managing and keeping my boarding pass on my phone - also makes it easier when I have to submit mileage point requests when the airline doesn't deposit them into my account. Also, I keep my phone in a wallet and my drivers licence is there in plain view, so I just have to flip it open in one quick move and everything is there for them to see.

As for scanning, the only problem I ever have is the entering the security line at YLW - their scanner never seems to pick up the smartphone passes - but they just look at it and all is good.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Coal

Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 am

Skisandy wrote:

When it actually sucks!

I think you're focusing on the wrong things. Having a mobile boarding pass allows the user to check in in advance on their phone, including when they're on the taxi / bus / train to the airport. This also usually allows skipping the check in desk or self-check in kiosk, which means being able to get to the airport much later. An example: For recent international flights, I got to the airport about 20 mins before scheduled departure, and thanks to mobile check in and a mobile boarding pass (as well as biometric gates and an APEC card), I made it onto the flight with a few minutes to spare. A (probably) minor additional benefit is that you're probably less likely to lose your mobile phone (with the boarding pass) than you are to lose a paper stock boarding pass.
Nxt Flts: 3K SIN-HKT-SIN | CA SIN-CTU-SIN | SQ SIN-FRA | LH FRA-TXL-FRA | SQ FRA-SIN | SQ SIN-PVG-SIN

flipdewaf

Mon May 15, 2017 11:40 am

I always use my phone for the boarding pass if available. I do it because its:
1. I don't then have to go through the check-in process at the airport and I very rarely have a bag in the hold.
2. I don't have to print an E-ticket because that would require me to find a printer.
3. I can reduce the amount of things I have to carry around in my pockets.
4. Phone fits in my pocket without having to fold it in half
5. Boarding passes are a size that marries up with nothing else in the entire world

I have never had trouble having my phone scanned, I have had trouble with a printed boarding card not working because of a fold on the bar code. I have had trouble with people holding up the queue fumbling around with 12 bits of paper working out which is the E-ticket.

My only issue with using the phone instead of a boarding card is that the phone does a much worse job of keeping passport open at the correct page.

Fred

PITingres

Mon May 15, 2017 4:12 pm

I use paper whenever I can. I have very little love for my iphone and it usually sits in my carryon. For me, trying to squint at a tiny screen while bouncing around in an airport van is a surefire way to get motion sick, and the ride options available to me don't generally lend themselves to checking in in transit anyway. I just check in ahead of time and print it out. If there's no printer and I'm not checking luggage I'll use the mobile pass. That's relatively rare for me since most of my trips are several days and I loathe the overhead roulette with a burning flame.

It used to be that you could pretty much count on someone with a mobile pass taking at least 10 seconds to get it scanned, but that seems to be getting better as the old scanners go away or get realigned.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Yflyer

Mon May 15, 2017 4:41 pm

aerolimani wrote:
My only complaint is when I have my mobile boarding pass(es), but when I hand over my checked baggage, sometimes the agent prints boarding passes anyhow. And yet, my mobile pass(es) remains valid. I've tested and confirmed that.

I had that happen once when flying on one of Delta's basic economy fares when I didn't get a seat assignment until I was at the gate. When he gave me my seat assignment the agent printed out a new boarding pass for me even though I already had a mobile boarding pass, which automatically updated with the seat assignment.

mjoelnir wrote:
a paper does not shut down on you when the battery is empty.

Regarding this, yes, there is a slight possibility that your phone battery will die or the phone will otherwise get damaged. There's also a slight possibility that someone will spill coffee on your paper boarding pass rendering it unusable. Nothing is 100% invulnerable from damage. Worst case scenario in the event of a dead battery, damaged phone, or damaged paper boarding pass I'm sure the gate agent can print a new one for you.

The former scenario can be avoided by charging one's phone before leaving for the airport, not to mention is mitigated by the preponderance of charging stations in airports nowadays. I also carry a power bank with me when I travel as a backup.

spacecadet

Tue May 16, 2017 3:20 am

Never had a problem having my boarding pass read from my phone. *Have* had problems with paper boarding passes being read.

The biggest annoyance with paper boarding passes is that, well, they're paper. I've had them rip on me, I've lost them on the way to the gate, I've gotten them crumpled up, and even in the best case scenario I end up fumbling around in my bag frantically when it comes time to actually board. A phone boarding pass just has none of those problems.

Now, some airline apps are pretty annoying in that they will do things like revert to the homepage if your phone screen turns off. That is ridiculous and every airline should fix that. But that's not technology's fault, that's the airline's fault.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ACDC8

Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 am

Skisandy wrote:

The same idiots who fumble at the gate to find their boarding pass amongst all the FB and WA "baloney" are the same people who fumble around at the last minute trying to find their paper boarding pass, rummaging through their purse, bags or pockets. Its not a technology problem - its a people problem

SomebodyInTLS

Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 am

I always print a copy and keep a PDF copy on the phone (and laptop if I'm bringing one) just in case I lose the paper. However, I do agree that getting a print for the return when you're on a long, long-distance vacation is a PITA. (On EasyJet or whatever you can usually check-in both outbound and return legs these days.)

But then the two times that this caused an issue (both times because the online check-in system screwed up) the agent just handed us old-fashioned boarding passes at bag-drop anyway (without even being asked). The last time we had gone through more than an hour of wrestling with the website and then given up and installed the airline's app, so it was actually a let-down that we went to all that trouble and didn't even get to use the mobile version! :)
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

Fiend

Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 am

I'll stick to queuing up in a line waiting to check-in and collect a proper boarding pass... All part of the flying experience....
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

11725Flyer

Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm a curmudgeon. I need a boarding pass.

kimimm19

Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Although the purist in me says boarding pass, many of them are bland and paper rather than proper tickets. So a mobile one saves time, printing, and trees.

Whywhyjay

Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm

On my last trip a few months ago I tried an electronic boarding pass for the first time, one quick tip which I don't think anyone has mentioned is to take a screen shot of your boarding pass, then you have a copy in your photo's and don't need to rely on your data or wifi at the airport. However, I think I will go back to a paper pass for my next trip, here are a couple of my reasons. I need reading glasses and it's difficult navigating around the phone without them, I can however pull a piece of paper out of my pocket, and I can read most of whats on the boarding pass without them. Secondly, I was transiting through the US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance facility at YVR, when you get up to the Customs Officer he needs to scan your boarding pass. So in this case you are handing your phone to the agent, so if you are like me and don't believe Customs Officers should have the right to go through your phone why would you just want to hand it to them without them even asking for it. I do realise that they do indeed have the right to go through your phone at the border, but I'd much rather make them ask for it and explain why.

Whywhyjay?
Whywhyjay?
Vickers Viscount. DHC-3, 6, 7, 8, Q-400 CRJ. 720-B, 727, 732, 738, 739, 742, 744, 762, 773, 788. DC-3, 9,10, MD-81.
A-310, 319, 320, 333. E-190. L-1011. BAE-ATP.

aerolimani

Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 pm

So… I'm curious. On an iPhone, the boarding pass can be loaded into the Apple Wallet app. From about 6 hours ahead of departure time, the pass info appears on the lock screen. You don't even need to unlock your phone. Just a quick swipe and the pass comes up, brightness on full. The CTSB employees know this, and if you tell them your pass is on your phone, they will retrieve your phone from the tray, bring up the boarding pass, and scan it, without you needing to help them. Neither data nor wifi is required for the pass to function, at least on a basic level, going through baggage check-in and security. Does Android not function the same way?

TWA772LR

Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 am

I use the mobile boarding pass when I go somewhere I've been to a lot. I use a paper boarding pass when I go someplace new to keep a memory of where I have been or if I fly on a new Airline.

But I do love the CBP passport app!
Eat 'em up Kats!

ACDC8

Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 am

Whywhyjay wrote:
On my last trip a few months ago I tried an electronic boarding pass for the first time, one quick tip which I don't think anyone has mentioned is to take a screen shot of your boarding pass, then you have a copy in your photo's and don't need to rely on your data or wifi at the airport. However, I think I will go back to a paper pass for my next trip, here are a couple of my reasons. I need reading glasses and it's difficult navigating around the phone without them, I can however pull a piece of paper out of my pocket, and I can read most of whats on the boarding pass without them. Secondly, I was transiting through the US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance facility at YVR, when you get up to the Customs Officer he needs to scan your boarding pass. So in this case you are handing your phone to the agent, so if you are like me and don't believe Customs Officers should have the right to go through your phone why would you just want to hand it to them without them even asking for it. I do realise that they do indeed have the right to go through your phone at the border, but I'd much rather make them ask for it and explain why.

Whywhyjay?

On an iPhone, you don't need any data, wifi or cellular to use a boarding pass. Its on your lock screen, no one can access any of your data with out your passcode or touchID. As far as YVR customs goes, don't know what you experienced but I go through customs there on a regular basis and they always scan my passcode with my iPhone in my hand. Same with any security or gate agents, most don't want to touch your phone.

VapourTrails

Wed May 17, 2017 4:33 am

aerolimani wrote:
On an iPhone, the boarding pass can be loaded into the Apple Wallet app. From about 6 hours ahead of departure time, the pass info appears on the lock screen. You don't even need to unlock your phone.

Mine never appears on the lock screen. Is this function available only on a particular model for example, a recent one? I have an iPhone 5S.

ACDC8

Wed May 17, 2017 4:52 am

VapourTrails wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
On an iPhone, the boarding pass can be loaded into the Apple Wallet app. From about 6 hours ahead of departure time, the pass info appears on the lock screen. You don't even need to unlock your phone.

Mine never appears on the lock screen. Is this function available only on a particular model for example, a recent one? I have an iPhone 5S.

Nope, I had mine on my 5S as well as my current 7. Do you have the Wallet App installed?

When you check in for your flight through the airlines App, it should ask you if you want to add the boarding pass to the Wallet App - click "add pass" and then your pass should appear on the lock screen a couple of hours before your boarding or departure time.

VapourTrails

Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Nope, I had mine on my 5S as well as my current 7. Do you have the Wallet App installed?

When you check in for your flight through the airlines App, it should ask you if you want to add the boarding pass to the Wallet App - click "add pass" and then your pass should appear on the lock screen a couple of hours before your boarding or departure time.

OK - thanks. Yes, I have the app installed. I don't recall it asking me whether I want to add it to the app, I've only added it myself.

Next time I fly I will pay more attention to the steps and watch for the prompt.

ACDC8

Wed May 17, 2017 5:05 am

VapourTrails wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

OK - thanks. Yes, I have the app installed. I don't recall it asking me whether I want to add it to the app, I've only added it myself.

Next time I fly I will pay more attention to the steps and watch for the prompt.

As long as you have the boarding pass in your Wallet App it should work. I just cleaned my wallet today, but now that I recall, there may be a tab you may have to click on on the boarding pass (after you click on the little circle with the "i" in it) and it'll ask you if you want to have the boarding pass on your lock screen.

aerolimani

Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 am

VapourTrails wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

If you haven't done it already, I believe you need to go into Settings:Notifications:Wallet and turn on "Show on Lock Screen."

Ultimately, you should see something like this: