ACDC8

Re: Printed boarding pass vs. smartphone

Wed May 17, 2017 5:22 am

aerolimani wrote:
If you haven't done it already, I believe you need to go into Settings:Notifications:Wallet and turn on "Show on Lock Screen."

Thats where it is - I knew it was somewhere LOL ...

This is what it looks like under settings ...

A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

VapourTrails

Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 am

aerolimani wrote:
If you haven't done it already, I believe you need to go into Settings:Notifications: Wallet and turn on "Show on Lock Screen."

I checked that, it is already on! I will just have a closer look when I am checked in and about to board next. Thanks for your assistance here. I am sure it is (my) user error. :fluffy:
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden

aklrno

Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 am

I use mobile boarding passes all the time. Never had a problem with TSA reader or airline reader. Sometimes I use the phone at the gate, sometimes my apple watch if it doesn't require strange arm twisting. That way I don't have a hand tied up with the paper pass or the phone, less chance of losing something.

Two airlines have slightly annoying systems. On NZ, they will print a version of the boarding pass off the machine that reads the mobile pass so that you will have something to show the FA as you board. They seem incapable of handling a passenger without a piece of paper at the door of the plane. International and domestic.

WN can't handle the Apple Watch even though their down facing readers are ideal for it. Their gate computer can recognize that you have a ticket, but doesn't display your boarding number which they need to see. So on WN I just use the phone which shows the boarding number. The watch has it too but it is a pain to show it to the agent.

jetblueguy22

Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
If you haven't done it already, I believe you need to go into Settings:Notifications: Wallet and turn on "Show on Lock Screen."

I checked that, it is already on! I will just have a closer look when I am checked in and about to board next. Thanks for your assistance here. I am sure it is (my) user error. :fluffy:

It may also be app specific. I know it works with DL, WN, and UA. But it may not be available for all.

I absolutely love the mobile boarding pass, especially when flying airlines I don't have status on. Just check in at home and go. It's also great for cancellations. I've had a flight cancelled and selected my next flights before we even got back to the gate. I've never had an issue with the scanners or TSA. I'm always nervous about losing boarding passes, but I always know my phone is on me.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Adipasquale

Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 pm

aklrno wrote:
On NZ, they will print a version of the boarding pass off the machine that reads the mobile pass so that you will have something to show the FA as you board. They seem incapable of handling a passenger without a piece of paper at the door of the plane. International and domestic.

I noticed this when I flew domestic on JQ as well. I had my mobile boarding pass, and when they scanned it at the gate they gave me a piece of paper with my seat assignment to show the FAs, It kind of puzzled me because I never experienced this in the US, and I can't understand why the FAs couldn't just as easily looked at my phone. Flying international out of Canada I experienced something similar, they told everyone their passport needed to be checked prior to boarding and printed everyone new boarding passes indicating their passports had been checked. Seemed a bit redundant and took awhile considering it was a full 777, and it seems they could have just checked everyone's passport as they boarded and turned anyone without one around. But I'm not paid to figure such things out...
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

rta

Thu May 18, 2017 5:44 am

I think it mainly boils down to preference.. Sometimes I like to use paper but if I'm on a long haul flight with a connection, the mobile boarding pass is nice because I always know where my phone is. The mobile boarding pass also updates if there's a delay or something.

No strong feelings either way, but I like the option.

dc9northwest

Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am

Soooo what happens when the US completely bans smartphones on board? :D

aerolimani

Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
Soooo what happens when the US completely bans smartphones on board? :D

Just don't go there! It's pretty easy, as long as you're not American. :duck:

wpnstroop

Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Paper. ALWAYS. BECAUSE IT WORKS....ALWAYS. None of this settings>app>app>settings>wallet>app>app>double click>swipe>swipe NONSENSE.

LH748

Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 pm

I very much prefer paper as an aviation enthusiast who likes to keep his boarding passes as a souvenir. The self-printed boarding passes however are rather ugly so I'm somewhat inclined to say that electronic ones are nicer compared to those.
So far, I only used the electronic ones for Ryanair and it worked well and is the future. But as long as I can get a nice old-school paper boarding pass I will not stopp getting one :D
A306 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 B733 B737 B738 B739 B743 B744 B748 B752 B753 B763 B764 B772 B77W B788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA, AB, AC, AF, AK, AZ, BA, DE, DL, EW, FR, HF, HG, IB, IR, MF, LH, LT, LX, TG, TK, TP, UA, VN, WN, W6, YP, YW

VapourTrails

Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 am

LH748 wrote:
I very much prefer paper as an aviation enthusiast who likes to keep his boarding passes as a souvenir.

I souvenir mine as a photograph, by taking a screenshot of the electronic boarding pass. If I get a paper one occasionally, for whatever reason, I take a photograph of it, with a background on or of the aircraft or at the airport, then discarded the paper pass after I get home.
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden