jumpjets
Topic Author

London to Mexico options

Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I am checking out options for a trip to Mexico routing LON-MEX-CUN-LON travelling Y. Travelling time is not overly important but prefer not to make more than one connection in each direction if at all possible. I don't mind paying for my drinks/food if the flight is comfortable.

I have narrowed it down to the following airline combos:
BA/AA with a connection in MIA on the way home
IB/AA connecting through MAD outbound and MIA on the way back
VS/DL connecting through ATL both ways and
AM connecting through MEX on the way home.
Also wondering about Thomson Airlines LGW-CUN with a return CUN-MEX with AM

Not keen on BA as they are running the old 744s to MEX and had a bad experience on one of those flying home from SAN last summer
Not keen on AA as it involves connecting through MIA which was my worst connection experience a few years ago - also the transatlantic leg would be on a 10 across 77W
Never been on AM but online reviews are not great

At the moment therefore I am most tempted with DL/VS or giving Thomson a go for the first time.

Does anyone have views on which option would be best, or suggest anything 'better' - also like to hear views from anyone who has flown longhaul on a Thomson 787.

Thanks

dc9northwest

Re: London to Mexico options

Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Avoid connecting in the US if you're taking laptops, cameras and tablets.

masgniw

Thu May 11, 2017 6:31 pm

If you want to stick with DL/VS, you could consider also connecting in LAX or SFO. They both have a lot of frequencies to MEX (and CUN) plus you probably could snag the VS 787-9. It certainly adds flight time instead of connecting further east (like ATL).

MaxTrimm

Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 pm

VS/DL by a longshot. A much smoother experience overall.

B747forever

Fri May 12, 2017 1:17 am

Either AM or the combo of Thomson/AM. Why go through all the hassle of clearing US CBP when your final destination isnt the US? Furthermore, with all the uncertainty of the laptop ban, I would avoid connecting at a US point for now.
Work Hard, Fly Right

longhauler

Fri May 12, 2017 2:40 am

Consider AC for LHR-YYZ-MEX-YYZ-LHR ... it's about UKP 700. (Or CUN-YYZ-LHR for the return and fly on a SSJ-100 from MEX-CUN.)

You can try Premium Economy for about UKP 1400 r/t. Premium Economy and Premium Rouge allows you access to the Maple Leaf Lounge (AC's Business Class lounge) during the transfer. When you purchase Premium Economy, you are seated in Business Class on Rouge between YYZ and MEX/CUN.

Transfer through YYZ is a breeze, no customs at all, (just a passport check) and the whole transfer is done within the secure area.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

jumpjets
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for the input so far guys. As some of you rightly point out the combination of US transfer hassle and the rules on electronics make avoiding the US as a transfer point a very good idea.

Hadn't thought of using AC - I guess in the whole scheme of things it doesn't add too much journey time. Plus an opportunity to fly an SSJ100 doesn't come along too often. So that is appealing.

aerolimani

Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Further to longhauler's suggestion (which I think is excellent!), assuming you are a UK citizen, you will need to apply for an eTA in advance to transit through Canada. It is, however, very cheap (CDN$7) and simple, and you'll get an answer typically within minutes. YYZ is a very efficient and pleasant airport, IMHO, and longhauler is correct that you will not have to deal with Customs.

Another benefit to this plan is that Customs & Immigration is generally more efficient at MEX. Since you can, I would avoid an international flight in or out of CUN. It's true that MEX is too small for the amount of traffic, but CUN is worse, in my experience.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 pm

I'd second Longhauler's suggestion of using AC through YYZ. Much easier to do int'l to int'l connections in Canada than it is in the US. If that option is not available, you might also be able to combine the outbound IB route through MAD with a return on UX from CUN to MAD and either BA or IB back to London. UX isn't luxury, but it's really not that bad and the service was good when I flew them last, although it has been about 5 years now.

KLDC10

Tue May 16, 2017 8:28 pm

I would usually recommend Delta and Virgin, but transferring from and between international flights in the United States can be a nightmare at the best of times. In fact sometimes it is easier to make two separate bookings, spend the night at an airport hotel and continue your onward journey the next day. Trying to make a connection can be a fraught affair. Don't let that put you off domestic flying in the US though! That's a breeze.

So Longhauler's suggestion seems by far the best one - especially with the chance to fly on an SSJ-100.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

jumpjets
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think if the schedules work out I am going to take the AC option and avoid changing in the US - although having said that I had to make a connection [international to domestic] in ORD last year and it was very easy and painless.

LupineChemist

Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I'd second Longhauler's suggestion of using AC through YYZ. Much easier to do int'l to int'l connections in Canada than it is in the US. If that option is not available, you might also be able to combine the outbound IB route through MAD with a return on UX from CUN to MAD and either BA or IB back to London. UX isn't luxury, but it's really not that bad and the service was good when I flew them last, although it has been about 5 years now.

You can take UX the whole way if flying from LGW is an option (OP just said LON)