danvs
Topic Author
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 am

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to see the northern lights next October, in Whitehorse, Yukon (YXY).

If I fly Air North Yukon, it will be a classic 737-200.
If I fly Air Canada, it will be a CRJ-700 and I'll have to pay CAD 30 more each leg.

So, which one would you choose?
Fly a classic model on which it probably will be my last time, since there are very few 732s still flying, or...
Fly the CRJ, which I've never flown and which is arguably more comfortable with a 2-2 seating configuration.

I'm considering flying each leg with a company, but I'd like your inputs. I've heard wonderful reviews of Air Yukon. I've already flown a handful of legs with AC.
 
ryan78
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 11, 2017 5:34 am

Unfortunately Air North does not use the 737-200 on the YVR route, at least not regularly, it is usually a mix of 737-400/500. I would choose Air North hands down, I have not flown them before but the chance to log a new/cool airline and a price savings of $60 has my vote. Even if the price was the same, I still wouldn't go Air Canada simply because it is Air Canada and I'm not a fan of the CRJ700... I've been trying to get out to Whitehorse for the last 2 summers but it has never worked out, hopefully this year I can make it up there. Also don't forget Westjet flies YVR-YXY too.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 11, 2017 6:04 am

The CRJ is pretty cramped. It's not spacious like an E-Jet. If you sit anywhere near the back, it's pretty loud too.

I second ryan78's recommendation. Air North is a good company. Plus, if you do get on the 732, it's not just any 732. It's a combi with the gravel kit!

Or, what about booking two one way trips? Take 4N on the way up and AC on the way back, or vice versa.
 
danvs
Topic Author
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 pm

ryan78 wrote:
Unfortunately Air North does not use the 737-200 on the YVR route, at least not regularly, it is usually a mix of 737-400/500

The seat map shown when I tried to book the flight was that of a 732 (20 rows), that's how I figured out it was this model of airplane.

ryan78 wrote:
Also don't forget Westjet flies YVR-YXY too.

Thank you for the info, but it's a seasonal service and it will end the week before my flight.


aerolimani wrote:
The CRJ is pretty cramped. It's not spacious like an E-Jet.

I've heard that too, but you know, I'd like to experience it so I can say it myself :)

aerolimani wrote:
Plus, if you do get on the 732, it's not just any 732. It's a combi with the gravel kit!

Yes, too bad it's not a gravel runway in YXY... hahaha

aerolimani wrote:
Or, what about booking two one way trips? Take 4N on the way up and AC on the way back, or vice versa.

That's what I'm considering doing.
 
dc9northwest
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 pm

danvs wrote:
ryan78 wrote:
Unfortunately Air North does not use the 737-200 on the YVR route, at least not regularly, it is usually a mix of 737-400/500

The seat map shown when I tried to book the flight was that of a 732 (20 rows), that's how I figured out it was this model of airplane.

aerolimani wrote:
The CRJ is pretty cramped. It's not spacious like an E-Jet.

I've heard that too, but you know, I'd like to experience it so I can say it myself :)



Their 732 and 735 configurations are identical (on the seat map shown, anyway -- haven't flown on both). So I think you figured out it's a 735.

But they do operate a 732 sometimes. However, most often if it's in YVR it's for charter work.
 
danvs
Topic Author
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 am

dc9northwest wrote:
Their 732 and 735 configurations are identical (on the seat map shown, anyway -- haven't flown on both). So I think you figured out it's a 735.

Well, the seat map for the 735 on their website shows 21 rows (with only 2 seats on row 21).
The seat map I got for my flight showed only 20 rows, which is the one for the 732.
 
dc9northwest
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Fri May 12, 2017 7:40 am

Well, I got the same seat map... And guess what! It was a 735.

I'm just telling you what to expect to avoid being disappointed at the gate when the 732 (most likely) doesn't show up...
 
Iluvtofly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 am

Hi There, I work for Air North ...... it is very very rare for it to be a B7372 on this route usually a B7375 and often the B7374. The past 4 days have been the 400 series. All depends on loads. Free meals/snacks and drinks .... 100 lbs free bag allowance ( 2 bags but one of the two cannot exceed 70 lbs ) makes it pretty much the only North American carrier to offer the *Golden Age of travel* experience happen in 2017. Our 7374 is operated with only 156 seats vs 180 on many carriers. Excellent legroom and fresh baked cooked cookies served before landing. Yes I'm an employee and proud ....... but I am not exaggerating ..... its a throwback to travel 20 years ago ! I have worked for many carriers and Air North is an awesome experience.
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7552
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 am

As posted above, there is a 99.99% chance you won't be on a -200. I've been on Air North quite frequently, and while their staff is fantastic - the seats are cramped on the -500s.

Personally, I'd go for the CRJ - more legroom and I prefer the 2-2 vs the 3-3 - but thats just me.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 am

danvs wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to see the northern lights next October, in Whitehorse, Yukon (YXY).

If I fly Air North Yukon, it will be a classic 737-200.
If I fly Air Canada, it will be a CRJ-700 and I'll have to pay CAD 30 more each leg.

So, which one would you choose?
Fly a classic model on which it probably will be my last time, since there are very few 732s still flying, or...
Fly the CRJ, which I've never flown and which is arguably more comfortable with a 2-2 seating configuration.

I'm considering flying each leg with a company, but I'd like your inputs. I've heard wonderful reviews of Air Yukon. I've already flown a handful of legs with AC.


AC is not a 700, it's a 705 which is a 900 with 75 seats. The 705s are very comfortable with lots of legroom.
 
danvs
Topic Author
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Sun May 14, 2017 11:43 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
Well, I got the same seat map... And guess what! It was a 735.

Thank you for the clarification. It seems Air North's seat map (shown during booking) doesn't reflect the actual plane we fly.

Iluvtofly wrote:
Hi There, I work for Air North ...... it is very very rare for it to be a B7372 on this route usually a B7375 and often the B7374. The past 4 days have been the 400 series. All depends on loads. Free meals/snacks and drinks .... 100 lbs free bag allowance ( 2 bags but one of the two cannot exceed 70 lbs ) makes it pretty much the only North American carrier to offer the *Golden Age of travel* experience happen in 2017. Our 7374 is operated with only 156 seats vs 180 on many carriers. Excellent legroom and fresh baked cooked cookies served before landing. Yes I'm an employee and proud ....... but I am not exaggerating ..... its a throwback to travel 20 years ago ! I have worked for many carriers and Air North is an awesome experience.

I've read lots of positive feedback from customers on the internet. :thumbsup:

ACDC8 wrote:
As posted above, there is a 99.99% chance you won't be on a -200. I've been on Air North quite frequently, and while their staff is fantastic - the seats are cramped on the -500s.
Personally, I'd go for the CRJ - more legroom and I prefer the 2-2 vs the 3-3 - but thats just me.

I also prefer the 2-2 seating config. Legroom is not a big issue (I'm 5'8 - 1,72 m).
The worst of AC is having to pay for even the 1st luggage.

Whiteguy wrote:
AC is not a 700, it's a 705 which is a 900 with 75 seats. The 705s are very comfortable with lots of legroom.

Thank you, I didn't know that.
 
trijetsonly
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 am

I would avoid the CRJ by any means. It's so cramped in cabin, I can't stand upright in the aisle, my shoulder is in permanent contact with the wall and my seat mate and my head tends to touch the wall/window.
One day you certainly will fly a CRJ and regret it afterwards ;-)

The price and service level of Air North seems to be superior, besides the fact that you will fly a 737 classic!
Happy Landings
 
PanzerPowner
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 pm

You can always fly a CRJ with this market, but a 735, or 734? That's a nice change.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2235
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Mon May 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
AC is not a 700, it's a 705 which is a 900 with 75 seats. The 705s are very comfortable with lots of legroom.


34" seat pitch in coach-- roomy.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.
 
danvs
Topic Author
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 am

Thank you all for your inputs!
I decided to try Air North and I booked both legs with them.
Not only I'll experience an airline I've never flown, but also I'll have the chance to fly a classic 737 (most probably a 735)! :)
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: YVR-YXY: 732 or CR7?

Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 am

danvs wrote:
Thank you all for your inputs!
I decided to try Air North and I booked both legs with them.
Not only I'll experience an airline I've never flown, but also I'll have the chance to fly a classic 737 (most probably a 735)! :)

That's great! Bon voyage!

Don't worry. There will be plenty of CRJ's around for awhile, and Air Canada isn't going away either, most likely. ;)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos