Gasman
Topic Author

Cabin Baggage is the Airline's Problem

Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I was flying internationally on a 738 last week, in Y. I was in the A seat and my neighbour in the B seat boarded fairly late. By the time he did so, there was no room in any of the overhead bins nearby for his one bag.

His solution was to simply leave his bag in the aisle and get into into his seat. Eventually when a FA commented, his response (without using the explicit words) was that it's the airline's problem. Somewhat taken aback, the FA ventured off down the aircraft with the bag but for some reason (probably to make a point more than anything else) asked him to get out of his seat and "assist", which he did.

I applaud this guys actions. For far too long the attitude of airlines towards cabin baggage (and baggage in general it could be argued) has been one of thinly veiled contempt - in that if PAX wish to impose on themselves and the airlines the inconvenience of actually travelling with personal effects, they should suffer whatever consequences may happen to befall them.

If airlines have a cabin baggage policy, they are then contractually obliged to make that policy work and enforce it. For too long they have followed the path of least resistance and not bothered to enforce limits on cabin baggage, permitting a situation where a greedy few are allowed to inconvenience many. It should not become the problem of the "law abiding" passenger.

CriticalPoint

Re: Cabin Baggage is the Airline's Problem

Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Sounds like he didn't want to pony up 25 bucks to check his bag. He gambled and lost. GROW UP and take care of your own bag. The airline will carry it without a complaint FOR FREE since its a gate check, so the guy actually SAVED $25. So for it to be the airlines problem is wrong. Its the problem of the person who didn't want to pay for the bag that doesn't fit under their seat.

Maybe people should stop being so cheap?

CriticalPoint

Tue May 09, 2017 9:53 pm

I never said it was over limits.

The overhead bins were never meant to carry everyones suitcase, that is what the BAGGAGE HOLD was built for. The overhead was meant for purses, laptops briefcases, jackets, hats etc.......

People need to check their suitcases not blame the airline for not having room for them in the cabin, there is plenty of room in the baggage hold.

Theseus

Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:

The overhead bins were never meant to carry everyones suitcase, that is what the BAGGAGE HOLD was built for. The overhead was meant for purses, laptops briefcases, jackets, hats etc.......

People need to check their suitcases not blame the airline for not having room for them in the cabin, there is plenty of room in the baggage hold.

True, but it could also be that he was travelling with a modestly sized bag, came late due to a connection and found the overhead bins full with everybody else's suitcase. Happened to me many times on US domestic flights (though my carry on bag fits under the seat in front of me so I essentially gave up on using the overhead bins ---even when they are not full, I do not bother using them).

CriticalPoint

Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Theseus wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

True, but it could also be that he was travelling with a modestly sized bag, came late due to a connection and found the overhead bins full with everybody else's suitcase. Happened to me many times on US domestic flights (though my carry on bag fits under the seat in front of me so I essentially gave up on using the overhead bins ---even when they are not full, I do not bother using them).

I agree with this. I have a problem with how the man handled the situation with such disrespect for the Flight Attendant, It is not his or her job to deal with your bag.

However my comments on baggage are sweeping. The same under the seat in front of you was meant for your feet......NOT a bag. The bag purse or laptop belongs in the overhead not a suitcase, that belongs in the cargo hold.

Gasman
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:

Rubbish. Maybe in the 1960's that's what the overhead "racks" were for; but they have long since been designed for the purpose of carrying what are actually small suitcases; and these are the size limits the airlines stipulate. I myself never check in a bag for trips less than about 5 days; why have the hassle of checking a bag, potentially allowing the airline to lose it then waiting for it at the other end when you could easily throw a few personal items in a carry-on and avoid the hassle?

Sure - many people are bringing ridiculous amounts of baggage onto an aircraft. But the thing is - human beings are selfish, dumb, whatever. Airlines are inconveniencing the bulk of pax by not enforcing their own policies. You could even make an argument for *returning* to the days of yore and allowing pax to bring on small personal items only. It would certainly speed boarding. But whatever policy is there should be adhered to and enforced.

bennett123

Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 pm

No reason to take it out on the FA. It is not his/her fault.

IMO, the carry on policy should be enforced at the gate.

scotron11

Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 pm

It is quite ridiculous some of the so called "cabin" baggage that the airlines let on board! Personally, I prefer to check my bag....don't want the hassle. Im perfectly ok to wait for my bag on arrival. But that's just me.

Gasman
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm

bennett123 wrote:
No reason to take it out on the FA. It is not his/her fault.

Agree, but how was this "taken out" on the FA?

CriticalPoint

Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Gasman wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Rubbish. Maybe in the 1960's that's what the overhead "racks" were for; but they have long since been designed for the purpose of carrying what are actually small suitcases; and these are the size limits the airlines stipulate. I myself never check in a bag for trips less than about 5 days; why have the hassle of checking a bag, potentially allowing the airline to lose it then waiting for it at the other end when you could easily throw a few personal items in a carry-on and avoid the hassle?

Sure - many people are bringing ridiculous amounts of baggage onto an aircraft. But the thing is - human beings are selfish, dumb, whatever. Airlines are inconveniencing the bulk of pax by not enforcing their own policies. You could even make an argument for *returning* to the days of yore and allowing pax to bring on small personal items only. It would certainly speed boarding. But whatever policy is there should be adhered to and enforced.

Well I can assure you here in the USA we enforce the baggage policies and that leads to our awesome customer service! :bomb: Damned it you do damned if you don't. So whats the answer? The only "fair" answer, because the world has to be fair and all......is put the baggage in the baggage hold, put the carry ons in the overhead and put your feet under the seat in front of you.

Gasman
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Gasman wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Well I can assure you here in the USA we enforce the baggage policies and that leads to our awesome customer service! :bomb: Damned it you do damned if you don't. So whats the answer? The only "fair" answer, because the world has to be fair and all......is put the baggage in the baggage hold, put the carry ons in the overhead and put your feet under the seat in front of you.

Well, in my world what you've described would be exactly my solution, but I suspect 80% of the travelling public would disagree. So in the meantime, if we're persisting with the status quo and allowing small suitcases into the cabin, please can we enforce the limits that actually *do* exist?

frmrCapCadet

Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm

A passenger on most airlines are entitled to a carryon and another small bag. If you get on board and there is no place for the carryon it is the flight crews' responsibility to find a place. The passenger has no resources at that point to solve the problem.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

antoniemey

Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm

The limits that currently exist are usually enforced. Even then, however, overhead bins that can accommodate one carryon for every passenger aboard have only recently come into use and most aircraft don't have them yet... and they only work if passengers pay attention to the instructions of how to load their bags into said bins.

And many people are afraid to check their bags because they're deathly afraid of being one of the miniscule fraction of people whose bags will be delayed... and then when people are one of that miniscule fraction, they're even more deathly afraid of being one of the even more miniscule fraction whose bags actually go missing.

I cannot count how many people I've dealt with who were freaked out about their bag being delayed even after I explained to them that it was on the very next flight and would be delivered to them that same day.

But none of this is an excuse to give the flight attendant grief.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

scbriml

Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
However my comments on baggage are sweeping. The same under the seat in front of you was meant for your feet......NOT a bag. The bag purse or laptop belongs in the overhead not a suitcase, that belongs in the cargo hold.

Sweeping and, in the opinion of the apparent majority, wrong.

Most frequently heard cabin announcement - "If you're travelling with two pieces of carry-on, place the larger one in the overhead bin and the smaller one under the seat in front of you."

I fly with my camera bag and laptop bag (neither are getting checked). The camera bag goes in the overhead bin, the laptop bag under the seat in front (unless there's enough space left in the bin).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Tue May 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Gasman

That is how I read para 2 of the OP.

Just not the explicit words used.

My camera bag goes under the seat rather than being crunched by cases in the overhead or be smashed in the hold.

CRJ900

Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 pm

One big problem where I work is the huge amount of duty free and paper bags with food/beverages that pax bring on board. The "one carry-on and one personal item" is described in the operations manual and that's fine - but no-one will touch the dilemma that duty free, food and beverage sales are very important to airports' bottom line, but there is no room in the aircraft for all that extra baggage. Many passengers bring on board 3-4 stuffed duty free bags and 1-2 stuffed paper bags with sushi, pizza, six bottles of water etc and they get pissed off when we say that they have to put all this underneath the seat in front of them, at least until all carry-on bags are stowed in the overhead bins - if there is extra room they can put duty free bags in the overhead bins too. Mgmt is unwilling to address this problem, so every day we have to go through this and it is very annoying for everyone...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

hoo8myryce

Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Does any US carriers impose a weight limit on pax carry on bag? I know foreign carrier limit one's carry on to no more than 7-8kgs. How many travelers on this forum actually has a small suitcase that is no more than 7-8kgs. I understand most flyers want to save $25 bucks and stuff everything in their carry on. Probably best solution is to have first check bag is free then charge for any non personal size item at the gate.

IPFreely

Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Enforced how? It sounds like this bag was well under the carry-on size limits. The last few people to board often end up gate-checking their carry-on's, but there's not much way for the passenger or gate agent to know the exact time when other passengers have filled the overhead bins to 100% of capacity with all the crap they drug on board.

Superunkown

Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 am

On my last flight I only had a carry on bag, so did an online check in to avoid the hassle of the counter line and having to weight my bag. It was a couple of kg (9kg) above the baggage allowance (7kg) but I was able to put it in an overhead bin with no problem. Only thing is, I was appalled because many pax were putting their coats in the overhead bins, so it ended up a couple of rows ahead. But then, late boarding pax were complaining because there was little storage available. Some people are just rude...

RoySFlying

Wed May 10, 2017 1:50 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
The same under the seat in front of you was meant for your feet......NOT a bag.

Strange. On many flights that I have taken, the safety briefing includes words along the lines of, "your bags must be safely stowed in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of you."

I often travel with just a camera bag and that I will not place in the overhead locker as I don't want it to be damaged by others trying to stow their kitchen sinks. It goes under the seat in front of me, where I can reach it for use in flight.

But I do agree, carry-on should be more closely monitored to ensure people are not carrying excessive number of bags or overweight items to the detriment of other passengers. Due to things like on-line, mobile and self check-in kiosks, that needs to happen at the gate so that cabin crew are not diverted from other duties.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

ILUVDC10S

Wed May 10, 2017 4:20 am

And If airlines would bring back the rectangle box type bins things would be a whole heck of a lot better and you can get all of the carry ons you want in those overhead bins ALSO as stated in another thread the under seat could be cleared out of the electronics those can be place under the belly and that would free alot of space for bags simple fixes really .

Sydscott

Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 am

Gasman wrote:
His solution was to simply leave his bag in the aisle and get into into his seat. Eventually when a FA commented, his response (without using the explicit words) was that it's the airline's problem. Somewhat taken aback, the FA ventured off down the aircraft with the bag but for some reason (probably to make a point more than anything else) asked him to get out of his seat and "assist", which he did. .

If I was the FA I would have taken his bag to the front and checked it in thus placing it in the underbelly hold or just tossed it off the aircraft. If someone is stupid enough to try and make a point then the airline can easily make a point as well. Sounds to me like the person should grow up.

PW100

Wed May 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Sydscott wrote:
If I was the FA I would have taken his bag to the front and checked it in thus placing it in the underbelly hold or just tossed it off the aircraft. If someone is stupid enough to try and make a point then the airline can easily make a point as well. Sounds to me like the person should grow up.

And that's how airlines get a bad name.

Do you happen to work for United?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

dc9northwest

Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 pm

It's ok, all electronics will have to go in the cargo hold sooner or later, at least in the USA.

DocLightning

Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Sounds like he didn't want to pony up 25 bucks to check his bag.

Or perhaps he doesn't want to wait 45 minutes after arrival to retrieve his bag? When I've just had a long flight and I'm tired and cranky from the cattle call and just want to get to my destination, standing around a luggage carousel for the better part of an hour is my favorite activity.

At least AS guarantees (or your luggage fee back) that your bags will be on the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival at the gate.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PanzerPowner

Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Sounds like he didn't want to pony up 25 bucks to check his bag.

Or perhaps he doesn't want to wait 45 minutes after arrival to retrieve his bag? When I've just had a long flight and I'm tired and cranky from the cattle call and just want to get to my destination, standing around a luggage carousel for the better part of an hour is my favorite activity.

At least AS guarantees (or your luggage fee back) that your bags will be on the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival at the gate.

Sounds like you get unlucky, usually i wait maybe 20-30 minutes for international bags. I mean then again connecting from a LAX-MNL-DVO flight with a 4-5 hour layover only to find out customs are looking at your duty free item which is a 100 dollar perfume. But then again that can't be stopped. With all the fun of the Philippines.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

DocLightning

Wed May 10, 2017 6:20 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
Sounds like you get unlucky, usually i wait maybe 20-30 minutes for international bags. I mean then again connecting from a LAX-MNL-DVO flight with a 4-5 hour layover only to find out customs are looking at your duty free item which is a 100 dollar perfume. But then again that can't be stopped. With all the fun of the Philippines.

Maybe, but last time I flew in F on UA, my bags were last off the 763. Complete with "Priority" tags.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Sydscott

Thu May 11, 2017 5:19 am

PW100 wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

And that's how airlines get a bad name.

Do you happen to work for United?

No I'm just a frequent flyer who constantly sees idiots thinking they have an absolute right to locker space when the reality is it's first in, best dressed. If you're late, and there isn't space and it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you then it's getting checked and next time get in line earlier.

aerolimani

Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 am

Superunkown wrote:
On my last flight I only had a carry on bag, so did an online check in to avoid the hassle of the counter line and having to weight my bag. It was a couple of kg (9kg) above the baggage allowance (7kg) but I was able to put it in an overhead bin with no problem. Only thing is, I was appalled because many pax were putting their coats in the overhead bins, so it ended up a couple of rows ahead. But then, late boarding pax were complaining because there was little storage available. Some people are just rude...

If you fly in Canada in the winter, you'll hear announcements asking people not to put their coats in the overhead. I've heard it on both WS and AC.

Also, at the gate, usually around 45 minutes before departure, both AC and WS will often ask for volunteers to gate-check their carry-on bags for free. They will do this if the gate agents see that the flight is very full. They always seem to get volunteers, and it definitely helps the situation.

antoniemey

Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Maybe, but last time I flew in F on UA, my bags were last off the 763. Complete with "Priority" tags.

I suggest when that happens politely asking a Baggage Service agent for contact information for the ramp manager. If it's reported quickly and with precise information they can determine who is not following policy with regard to priority bags and if there's a pattern of the same agent being a problem it can be dealt with.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

flipdewaf

Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 am

Maybe something along the lines of the F/A showing people how to correctly place their bag in the overhead locker i.e standing on its side and the long side of the bag going across the width of the locker, I have seen frustrated F/As realigning bags many times after ignorant pax (and I don't mean ignorant in a derogatory way, sometimes people just don't know).

Maybe a locker space can be allocated in the same way a seat is i.e. seat 7B gets a certain space within the locker and denoted by a small ridge on the bottom to help a bag stay within this. Maybe not rigidly enforced but seat 7b has this space to use if they don't use it then seat 9 d can but doesn't have first dibs.

I smell MOL doing this and charging.

Fred

strfyr51

Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
A passenger on most airlines are entitled to a carryon and another small bag. If you get on board and there is no place for the carryon it is the flight crews' responsibility to find a place. The passenger has no resources at that point to solve the problem.

It is NOT the cabin crew's responsibility to find or stow your bag. if there's no place for your bag in the overhead?? It's THEIR responsibility to tell you to gate check your bag and pick it up on your way OUT!!

frmrCapCadet

Thu May 18, 2017 4:54 pm

When you are on the plane, the gate has been closed? You gotta be kidding.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

debonair

Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm

easyjet in Europe started a new way of handling hand-luggage.

You can check-in your hand-luggage for as little as 5EUR, giving you priority boarding and priority baggage handling. U2 hopes so to reduce the amount of handluggage taken on board.

aerolimani

Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm

debonair wrote:
easyjet in Europe started a new way of handling hand-luggage.

You can check-in your hand-luggage for as little as 5EUR, giving you priority boarding and priority baggage handling. U2 hopes so to reduce the amount of handluggage taken on board.

Woah! That's a really good deal.

KentB27

Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm

The biggest problem is that I have yet to see an airline that actually enforces their carry on bag rules. Charging passengers for checked bags only perpetuates the problem even further. The oversized crap I see people try to shove in overhead bins is absurd.

On the other hand the guy didn't need to be rude about it but I understand his point.

thewizbizman

Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:

Correct! However with the release of "Check-able Suitcases" as they are marketed passengers use the size limits to check suitcases.
Suitcases go in the BAGGAGE HOLD
Carry ons (Purses, Jackets, Briefcases) go in the OVERHEAD BINS

That is how it should work, thus giving everyone an opportunity to put there small carry ons in the overhead bins, thus not having to give incentives and delay flights to get passengers to check there bags, thus making happier and more timely flights, thus making the airline more money.

Aptivaboy

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm

The biggest problem is that I have yet to see an airline that actually enforces their carry on bag rules.

Absolutely agree! I've seen passengers try to force full sized suitcases up there (how they got those past the gate is beyond me), child seats, massive duffel bags like mountain climbers carry, and so on. If the airlines properly and consistently enforced the rules, we'd have fewer situations like this.

Having said that, the passenger was acting like a jerk and quite frankly, treating the FA like garbage. He has no cause to be proud of himself.

spacecadet

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:52 am

CriticalPoint wrote:

You've been beaten up over this a little bit already so not to belatedly belabor the point, but I do think this is something everybody should be clear on not just for this discussion, but others like this. The entire reason we have "bins" is so that you *can* store a bag up there. Early on we had open racks, which originally were intended for hats and coats (they were actually called "coat racks"). But over time, people started putting heavier items up there on their own, and of course in accidents these objects would go flying around the cabin injuring people. So the racks were given latched covers, which was an initial tacit acceptance that people were going to put heavy objects up there. The alternative would have been for the FAA and airlines to enforce regulations requiring only small, light items in the racks; they chose to accept heavier items and just covered and latched the racks instead.

Over time, the bins then got larger as people began putting larger items in the bins. And more bins were added - widebodies used to only have bins near the windows; now they have them in the middle too. All of this was to accommodate more and larger bags, with enough room for every passenger to store at least one reasonably sized bag.

Anyway, the point being the existence of the bins at all is so you can store bags in them. We wouldn't have them otherwise; we'd have open racks. Bins are for bags. There's even something of a standard suitcase size made to fit in an overhead bin - about 20-22": https://www.ebags.com/category/luggage/f/carry-on

These days, most airlines even want you to store your coat or hat under the seat in front of you, so there's more room for bags in the overhead bins. You are really supposed to only have one large bag up there, so everyone has room.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!