Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mcg
Topic Author

Connection at TXL

Tue May 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Next month I'll connecting at TXL. Arriving on UA from EWR and connecting to LX. It looks like UA uses gate A1 and LX uses the A gates as well. A couple questions; first, am I correct that there is no need to claim checked luggage at TXL?; and second, where is the customs and immigration facility, is convenient to the A gates? The map on the airport website doesn't seem to show the immigration facility.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cush

Re: Connection at TXL

Tue May 09, 2017 6:09 pm

From my experience connecting in TXL, you don't need to claim your luggage, but maybe someone else can confirm. I flew through there in January of this year from Helsinki on Finnair to my AirBerlin flight to JFK and didn't have to reclaim my bag. However, TXL airport sucks in my opinion. I hated it and i will never fly through there again.... The signage is terrible and there is nothing to do once you pass security (2 small stands with food). It's an awful and miserable airport.

LTU932

Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm

AFAIK if all flights are on the same ticket, you don't pick up your bags and only go through customs at the final destination. You do go through passport control, as TXL is the first Schengen port of entry.

LGAviation

Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 am

Connecting from outside Schengen to intra Schengen you will have to clear immigration at the first port of entry, customs is handled at the last and they will be able to identify you as your luggage tag won't be green edged which indicates intra EU. Anyways, you can't compare customs in Europe to elsewhere since most of the times you won't even see anyone.

LTU932

Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 am

LGAviation wrote:
Connecting from outside Schengen to intra Schengen you will have to clear immigration at the first port of entry, customs is handled at the last and they will be able to identify you as your luggage tag won't be green edged which indicates intra EU. Anyways, you can't compare customs in Europe to elsewhere since most of the times you won't even see anyone.
:checkmark: :checkmark:

You got two lanes: green lane and red lane. Green lane means nothing to declare, red lane means you have something to declare. In the UK IIRC, there's even a blue lane for passengers arriving from the EU mainland. Remember that the EU has no customs or immigration forms (except the UK, which currently has landing cards for non-EU citizens, all subject to change with the Brexit). They can select people for random checks though, even if you went through the green lane.

mcg
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info everybody. My question is given arrival at gate A1, where is passport control and is it a reasonably efficient experience? Thanks again!

gabrielchew

Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm

TXL is NOT your standard airport. It dates back to a simpler time, where there was no security, and planes were small and local. On the plus side that means distances are generally short, and if you're off the plane quickly, you can be out of the airport in minutes. On the negative side, it means you nearly always need to clear security, and there is very little to do near the gates. Shops AND lounges are mostly landside.

In the A area, every few gates shares immigration/check in etc, it's not centralised. So when you land, you will go through immigration pretty much at the end of the air bridge (and often that means the queue will stop people from actually getting off the plane!). You will then walk past the baggage belt (double check your bag isn't there), and a few meters later you'll be land side. Then walk around the terminal to look for the LX desks, they won't be far. You can then check in, get your boarding pass, and go through security, and your gate will be *just there*, a few meters away. Be warned, there is VERY LITTLE to do once you have gone through security into the gate area. Like 1 small shop, cafe, toilets.

If you have time, two good options are to go and have a currywurst from the Ess-Bhan "train" parked right outside the terminal. Tasty! Right next to that is the entrance to the viewing deck, which costs around EUR 3. You can then walk all the way around the top of the terminal "doughnut". Check it out on Google Maps.

mcg
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks for you detailed information. One last question, is there any reason I shouldn't get my LX boarding pass online before I leave the United States? I worry that somehow the procedure is to only get transfer boarding passes from the desk.

Thanks again.

gabrielchew

Sat May 13, 2017 12:21 pm

mcg wrote:
Thanks for you detailed information. One last question, is there any reason I shouldn't get my LX boarding pass online before I leave the United States? I worry that somehow the procedure is to only get transfer boarding passes from the desk.

Thanks again.

If you're on one ticket, you should get the LX bp when you first check in (either electronically or at the desk). Otherwise download the LX app and get it. Or OLCI on swiss.com separately and print it. Either way, the LX desk is *just there*. You'll walk right past it getting to the gate/security.

mcg
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks everybody for all of the good information!