Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Healthiness in Airline Food in the USA

Sat May 06, 2017 9:35 pm

As some who is keen to watch his waistline, I was interested to come across an article from an American nutritionist about the healthiness of some of the airline food and looking and some of them it is quite worrying. In his eyes, VX and DL were the best and F9 and NK was the worst.

http://www.dietdetective.com/dietdetect ... s-2016-17/

Overall, I am surprised at the lack of any interest in nutrition when you are 2000 ft in the air..

dc9northwest

Re: Healthiness in Airline Food in the USA

Sun May 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Healthiness for onboard food... hah!

FriscoHeavy

Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 pm

A meal or two on a flight isn't going to change your waste line. Enjoy the unhealthy food once in a while.

11725Flyer

Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm

If I want healthy food, I'll bring something that I can find at the airport or bring a few granola bars.

Ziyulu

Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Of course it's healthy. You fly from DFW to HNL and AA will only give you a bag of pretzels. A great way to lose weight!

aklrno

Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 am

I'm diabetic and I watch my diet pretty carefully, but I do have two exceptions:

Banquet rule: When I have no choice, I eat what I am offered. This also applies when I am a guest and don't want to offend. I still won't overdo it, but will have a taste of everything.
30,000 foot rule: Nothing eaten over 30,000 feet counts. If you get tasty food on an airplane it is worth a celebration.
Airplane food can pass both tests.

bgm

Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
A meal or two on a flight isn't going to change your waste line. Enjoy the unhealthy food once in a while.

It's amazing how poor spelling can change the meaning of a sentence. But enough about your bowel movements.. :duck:

jeffh747

Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am

I know that my beloved Virgin America proudly touts themselves as having the healthiest food in the sky. From personal experience, they had probably the best airline food I've ever had. I haven't had the pleasure to try out DL's food options but I hope I can soon.

AirAfreak

Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 pm

DL served a green tea risotto last May MSP-LAX. DL also served warm Chardonnay. My PTV didn't work on that brand new plane as well. Indeed, it was a very healthy meal service as I consumed fewer calories than normal.

DL Interport/Japan services is an absolute calorie-fest! DL does awesome Japanese and Thai dishes!

FriscoHeavy

Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 pm

bgm wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

It's amazing how poor spelling can change the meaning of a sentence. But enough about your bowel movements.. :duck:

Haha - omg. Stupid autocorrect.

dfwjim1

Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Of course it's healthy. You fly from DFW to HNL and AA will only give you a bag of pretzels. A great way to lose weight!

A few years ago I flew from HNL to DFW nonstop and I was surprised that a meal was not included as this flight is longer than many AA international flights. I fly on AA quite often and I have developed the habit of bringing my own food with me as it seems like on every flight that I am on they run out of food.

dfwjim1

Sun May 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

A few years ago I flew from HNL to DFW nonstop and I was surprised that a meal was not included as this flight is longer than many AA international flights. I fly on AA quite often and I have developed the habit of bringing my own food with me as it seems like on every flight that I am on they run out of food.

DesertAir

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Last summer when I flew F on AA I asked for the salad on one of the flights. They served the chicken breast on a separate plate. This gave an veggie option. I try to avoid complicated sauces and stick to simple foods when offered. Airline portions are usually not big as compared to restaurant portions.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm

None of the flights I've flown the last 5 years offered any food....but I do give a big thumbs up to the burger place in BWI. Healthy....probably not, but quite tasty.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Tea risotto??? Chardonnay????

I'm flying the wrong airlines.