Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aerolimani
Topic Author

Is the return leg of an inaugural flight also considered inaugural?

Sat May 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Is the return leg of an inaugural flight also considered inaugural? Do airlines typically do anything special for the return journey? Just curious. Thanks!

TWA772LR

Re: Is the return leg of an inaugural flight also considered inaugural?

Sat May 06, 2017 6:06 pm

I guess technically it would be. An airline launches ABC-XYZ which has never been served before, so XYZ-ABC has also never been served.

I have a similar question, how does the crew for the same day (if the flight is a longhaul) serve the return? Are they deadheaded in advance on another airline?

dc9northwest

Sat May 06, 2017 6:10 pm

IME, yes. But I've only been on 1.

Regarding the crew, they get fed tranquilizers on the way in... so they can sleep enough to serve the return.

If they are on an American airline, they often drag out the First/Business Class pax for the crew to rest.

jetmatt777

Sat May 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I was on the inauguaral SEA-OKC and OKC-SEA flight on AS (OO). Being a 4 hour flight, it was the same crew each way. There was also an inaugural celebration at the gate in Seattle as well as at the gate in Oklahoma City. In Seattle, they had representatives of Alaska Airlines and the Port of Seattle to speak a few words, in OKC they had a representative of Alaska Airlines and the OKC Airport Director to speak.

If the airline already serves the airport (but not the new route), they will likely deadhead a crew in the night before on their own metal. If they need to, they can deadhead on a another airline the night before.

n729pa

Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 pm

I would say yes too. Such as the QF nonstop flights to the UK. The promotion also reads first nonstop from the UK to australia.

As for the crew for long haul I'm sure they'd have to have them in place beforehand.

aerolimani
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks for the answers!

Hopefully, there will be something special. It the first time to this airport for this airline. I'll be sure to post lots of photos in a trip report. It's also my first time on an inaugural flight. :)

OlafW

Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am

On one flight I took, the return was also celebrated as an inaugural. Even found a trip report I did back then: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=971425

RL777

Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 am

I was on the inaugural (not really a big deal, just new type/frequency) CX855 YVR-HKG A350 service which was the return leg and there was a ceremony with ribbon cutting and speeches at the gate prior to boarding. It was a bit surprising given that CX traditionally don't make fanfare of any special occasions, I remember back when they got their first 77W there was no ceremony for its inaugural service.

RRTrent

Mon May 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm booked on EI's inaugural flight to MIA in Sept. I was supposed to go the day before with a different airline, but I decided that I'll delay the start of my vacation so I could catch the inaugural instead. Hopefully there is a bit of "razmatazz" at the gate prior to boarding, and of course a water cannon salute once in MIA.