Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Buying Two Separate Tickets on the Same Airline

Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 pm

I'd like to get tickets from ATL-CDG for end of May, but they're really expensive ($1400 RT). I however can fly from JFK-CDG RT and buy ATL-JFK RT tickets on DL for about $1000. My question is: Will I be able to check-in my luggage from ATL all the way to CDG or will DL make me check in luggage twice? Also, will they waive the luggage fee since I am technically going to CDG, which allows me a free luggage? What happens if one of the planes is late and I miss my connection? Will they rebook me for free or consider me a no show? Same airline all the way, just different reservations. Thank you.

Ziyulu

Re: Buying Two Separate Tickets on the Same Airline

Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 pm

From my experience, if you miss your connection, the airline is not responsible.

Polot

Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 pm

As they are two separate reservations I don't believe that they will check your luggage all the way through to CDG, that they have any obligation to you if you missed your connection, nor do I think they will waive your baggage fee on the domestic flight.

FriscoHeavy

Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Yes, they will check your luggage all the way to CDG. However, as previously noted, if you miss the connection, you are S*** out of Luck unless they feel like being generous that day.

PatrickZ80

Thu May 04, 2017 9:26 pm

No, they won't check your luggage through. You'll have to collect it and check it back in. If you miss your connection that's your own problem, not theirs. There's a reason connected flights are more expensive than seperate flights, you can call it a service fee and an insurance. Service fee because checking your service through is a service and insurance because if you miss your connection they're responsible. Of course you can take the risk and make a self-transfer, but at your own responsibility.

sadiqutp

Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 am

From my experience, I have checked luggage for 2 different reservations in 2 different airlines. However, in your case, if you are not allowed a checked-in luggage on the first leg, I highly doubt that they would allow it .. If you miss the connection, you are on your own

THY748i

Fri May 05, 2017 11:50 am

Done that, and missed the connection. Better to pay a bit more than possibly having to purchase a new ticket and sleep on the airport floor. But it's up to you of course.

Superunkown

Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Everything can be done, but the airline doesn't have the obligation. If it were up to me, I'd honor both the missed connections and the luggage to destination, but I wouldn't waive any luggage fees.

OlafW

Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 am

I'd say, it all depends I once had a flight OGG-LAX-ORD where the first segment was part of a booking OGG-LAX-PDX and the LAX-ORD belonged to a large booking with 13 flights on one ticket. To add to the confusion, the first flight was on United and the second on US Airways (well, it was some years ago...). It did take some time, but it all worked out. In fact, to have the baggage checked through was quicker than to get my own boarding passes. So I would suggest to arrive at the airport in time and try to work it out with a check-in agent.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't count on anything in case you miss the connection, that's the one risk you'd have to take.

AirAfreak

Sun May 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Politely ask the agent at check-in to "combine" your bookings. It can be done on separate itineraries - example: when two people flying together purchase their tickets at different periods, at this point your tickets can be "joined."

This cannot be done when let's say you've completed your journey where there isn't another attached flight segment to be connecting.

Example: you purchase a one-way LAXCDG. You arrive at CDG and you go to the AF Sales Desk and purchase your return flight CDGLAX. There isn't a way to "join" as you've completed your travel.

Once the agent "joins" your itineraries, the baggage agreements apply to the final destination, in your case CDG, with the usual 23kg/pieces, etc. Your old PNR will still be stored into your file so the agent can still collect the outbound baggage fees at his/her discretion.

Enjoy your visit to France!

levg79

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm

One time I was flying OGG-HNL with HA and HNL-MSP-JFK with NW the same day but on a completely separate reservation. Both tickets were purchased individually with their respective airlines. I was planning on picking up the checked baggage at HNL prior to checking in for the NW flight. The HA check-in agents at OGG offered to and were able to check my luggage all the way to JFK. Upon arrival at HNL I stayed airside the whole time. I checked in for the NW flight by walking over to the departure gate and showing them my ID along with the baggage claim check from HA.

MAH4546

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Depends on the airline. American will connect your bags and will protect your "connection" if you have two separate tickets, and will even do it if that separate ticket is any OW member.

lesfalls

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 pm

levg79 wrote:
One time I was flying OGG-HNL with HA and HNL-MSP-JFK with NW the same day but on a completely separate reservation. Both tickets were purchased individually with their respective airlines. I was planning on picking up the checked baggage at HNL prior to checking in for the NW flight. The HA check-in agents at OGG offered to and were able to check my luggage all the way to JFK. Upon arrival at HNL I stayed airside the whole time. I checked in for the NW flight by walking over to the departure gate and showing them my ID along with the baggage claim check from HA.

Isn't there always the chance that they lose your luggage that way? I tried doing it with SAS and they said that theres quite a god chance that you'll lose your luggage if they did it for me.

levg79

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm

lesfalls wrote:
levg79 wrote:

Isn't there always the chance that they lose your luggage that way? I tried doing it with SAS and they said that theres quite a god chance that you'll lose your luggage if they did it for me.

My bags were not lost that time but I've had lost luggage on other connecting flights done on a single reservation. So go figure...

lesfalls

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:00 pm

levg79 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
levg79 wrote:

My bags were not lost that time but I've had lost luggage on other connecting flights done on a single reservation. So go figure...

Ah I see. So is the chance then more probable that they will lose it or that it will connect?