Ziyulu
Topic Author

Asking for Full Can of Soda

Wed May 03, 2017 1:22 pm

When I last flew with United, the flight attendant would not give me a full can of soda even when I requested one. Then later, I went to the galley to ask a different flight attendant for another drink and was refused. The flight attendant said that she had put everything up. We were still an hour before landing. Are airlines so stingy that they cannot afford to offer a full can of soda? No wonder our airlines are in trouble.

MesaFlyGuy

Re: Asking for Full Can of Soda

Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 pm

I've honestly never been denied the full when I've asked, but I've also never asked on United. Delta and American, however, have usually never given me a problem.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Yflyer

Wed May 03, 2017 5:12 pm

United used to just give everyone the whole can without needing to ask for it, back before the merger.

Airstud

Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
When I last flew with United

There's your answer.
Pancakes are delicious.

IPFreely

Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 pm

I've never heard of such a thing....it sounds like, shall we say, nonsense?

On my last UA flight they poured a glass and handed me the whole can of soda. For the most part that seems to be the norm and I never ask for the whole can. I didn't actually want it all and ended up pitching probably 1/3rd of the can. Next time, if you're on a UA flight with me, you can have my leftover soda.

Yflyer

Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 pm

IPFreely wrote:
I didn't actually want it all and ended up pitching probably 1/3rd of the can.

Good call. I mean with a name like IPFreely you probably shouldn't be drinking too much soda. :lol:

fbgdavidson

Thu May 04, 2017 2:29 am

Ziyulu wrote:
No wonder our airlines are in trouble.

They are? Considering how cheap flying is it's a wonder half of them are in operation. You can thank price sensitive passengers for driving the inflight product offered downwards.

Can't say I've ever not had a full can on any airline flying domestically. More often than not I'm offered doubles.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

UALFAson

Thu May 04, 2017 2:48 am

IPFreely wrote:
I've never heard of such a thing....it sounds like, shall we say, nonsense?

That was my first thought exactly upon initially reading this post. Just another let's-bash-UA thread.

Many flight attendants will just offer a cup full on flights where one set of catering has to last several segments or on short flights where no one needs to chug a full can of beverage anyway, but I have never heard of 2 F/As refusing a customer a full can of soda upon request without an explanation.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

RoySFlying

Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 am

fbgdavidson wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
No wonder our airlines are in trouble.

You can thank price sensitive passengers for driving the inflight product offered downwards.

It seems to be almost written on tablets of stone that passengers are to blame for everything. Of course passengers want to pay as little as possible but that by itself does not lead to lowering of standards, let alone fares. Competition between airlines also drives prices and product/services. Just ask anyone who lives in an area where there is no competition. Prices will tend to be higher while the product will not automatically be better.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

vhtje

Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 am

fbgdavidson wrote:
Can't say I've ever not had a full can on any airline flying domestically. More often than not I'm offered doubles.

+1

Perhaps the response one gets from the FA is up to how politely or otherwise one asks for the drink and treats the FA?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

n729pa

Fri May 05, 2017 5:51 pm

If youre an optimist you get a full can. If youre a pessimist your can is half full.

Actually some airlines will pour from large bottles rather than have cans anyway.

PI4EVER

Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 pm

As someone pointed out, a bit of kindness goes a long way.
I go and purchase an inexpensive bag of candy or special cookies (like Key Lime from FL), individually wrapped, and as I board hand it over to a F/A with a smile and a "Be my guest when you can take a break."
It is astounding the attention and recognition you receive from these people. I've received first choice on meals, complimentary booze and a bunch of sincere Thank You's for the recognition. It takes so little to extend or repay a kindness or a gesture of goodwill. A $3 bag of chocolates I purchased at CVS reaps rewards and makes a mundane, ho hum, run-of-the-mill flight a great experience.
Just good Karma. Try it. You'll be amazed at the response.
watch what you want. you may get it.

dc9northwest

Sat May 06, 2017 5:03 pm

It's never a problem asking.

Sometimes, receiving.

zrs70

Sun May 07, 2017 5:22 am

In the early days of this formum, getting a full can was a major thing to report on in the trip reports. I never quite understood it. The full can is jsut too much most of the time.

Perhaps the FA's don't want people using the bathroom so often.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2017

spacecadet

Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 am

zrs70 wrote:
Perhaps the FA's don't want people using the bathroom so often.

Frankly, that's not really their business. And I mean that both literally and figuratively.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

levg79

Tue May 09, 2017 4:32 pm

I've solved this problem by asking for a "coke without the ice". If the 80% of your cup is not filled with ice, they have to pour a full can of soda so that it looks like they've given you a drink
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

ACDC8

Sat May 13, 2017 9:42 am

A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Airstud

Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

n729pa wrote:
If youre an optimist you get a full can. If youre a pessimist your can is half full.

Actually some airlines will pour from large bottles rather than have cans anyway.

The Democrat looks at the half a glass of water and says, "The glass is half empty."

The Republican looks at the half a glass of water and says, "Who the hell drank half of my water???"

:duck:
Pancakes are delicious.

dc9northwest

Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

levg79 wrote:
I've solved this problem by asking for a "coke without the ice". If the 80% of your cup is not filled with ice, they have to pour a full can of soda so that it looks like they've given you a drink

Ah yes, the good ol' American "would you like a bit of liquid with your ice?"

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am

I've never been given a can of soda...because the airline I flew on serves the soda from a bottle
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA

fallap

Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 am

To be honest, I tried remembering the last time I was offered an entire can of soda during a flight. I can't pinpoint the exact date, but I think it was quite a few years ago, actually. I remember they would always give you those small cute 25 cl. cans, which is pretty much the same amount a regular plastic glass of soda served from a bottle is worth.
Grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M

dc9northwest

Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm

AF gives you the whole can every time on short-haul

Of course they have those 15cl cans :p

neutrino

Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 pm

How about beer? At times when I was given only a cup of it, I'll ask for a full can and I was hardly ever refused.

Yflyer wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
I didn't actually want it all and ended up pitching probably 1/3rd of the can.

Good call. I mean with a name like IPFreely you probably shouldn't be drinking too much soda. :lol:

Luckily, when I read this I was not holding onto or drinking any soda so my keyboard and screen did not suffer any. :mrgreen:

n729pa wrote:

If you're a realist, you will you get both full and half cans, at different times of course.

PI4EVER wrote:
As someone pointed out, a bit of kindness goes a long way.
I go and purchase an inexpensive bag of candy or special cookies (like Key Lime from FL), individually wrapped, and as I board hand it over to a F/A with a smile and a "Be my guest when you can take a break."
It is astounding the attention and recognition you receive from these people. I've received first choice on meals, complimentary booze and a bunch of sincere Thank You's for the recognition. It takes so little to extend or repay a kindness or a gesture of goodwill. A $3 bag of chocolates I purchased at CVS reaps rewards and makes a mundane, ho hum, run-of-the-mill flight a great experience.
Just good Karma. Try it. You'll be amazed at the response.

Question: are FAs allowed to help themselves to inflight snacks? Yeah, for sure they'll have their inflight meals on long flights but can they raid the candies & cookies store on any flight?
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis