Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T54A
Topic Author

Fancy a 27hr, one stop flight? SAA partners with Hawaiian Airlines

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 am

I cant imagine there are too many destinations that are further apart than Johannesburg and Honolulu

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Flig ... s-20170425

DexSwart

Re: Fancy a 27hr, one stop flight? SAA partners with Hawaiian Airlines

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 am

I've met quite a few South African tourists on the West Coast, and I'd imagine there may be a *tiny* percentage of connecting passengers.

I just don't see the appeal when South Africa is two hours from Zanzibar and Madagascar, four hours from Mauritius and Reunion, just under six from the Seychelles, and a one stop from The Gambia, and the Maldives.

I mean, good luck to them anyway, but that's one trip I wouldn't want to do in economy.

T54A
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Yip, I think this market is small, but I suppose it does add to the feed for SAA through JFK

redzeppelin

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 pm

I was a little surprised to learn that JFK is the only airport served by both carriers. GC route JNB-HNL passes almost directly over SYD, and is about 1000 miles shorter. I was wondering why they didn't include connections via the Asia/Pacific route, but SAA only serves PER and HKG in the region, and those are not served by HA.

rbavfan

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

DexSwart wrote:
I've met quite a few South African tourists on the West Coast, and I'd imagine there may be a *tiny* percentage of connecting passengers.

I just don't see the appeal when South Africa is two hours from Zanzibar and Madagascar, four hours from Mauritius and Reunion, just under six from the Seychelles, and a one stop from The Gambia, and the Maldives.

I mean, good luck to them anyway, but that's one trip I wouldn't want to do in economy.

Hawaii does not have deadly animals that several of those locations do have.

debonair

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I think the title is misleading, it's not only a "stop" - it is actually connecting to another carrier...

I did the BA LHR-SYD service which is 22+ on one and the same aircraft, just with a fuel stop in SIN. And it was doable...

azjubilee

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 pm

debonair wrote:
I think the title is misleading, it's not only a "stop" - it is actually connecting to another carrier...

I did the BA LHR-SYD service which is 22+ on one and the same aircraft, just with a fuel stop in SIN. And it was doable...

Indeed it misleading and much ado about nothing, really. All this announcement really is, is a new e-ticket interline agreement between the two carriers. This one joins the many others Hawaiian has that may not seem so obvious or logical to the myopic viewer. :roll:

T54A
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 am

No intention to mislead. Merely meant to be a lighthearted posts as to how far one can fly with one stop.

77H

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

azjubilee wrote:
debonair wrote:

Indeed it misleading and much ado about nothing, really. All this announcement really is, is a new e-ticket interline agreement between the two carriers. This one joins the many others Hawaiian has that may not seem so obvious or logical to the myopic viewer. :roll:

DBED and HTA are hard pressed to further visitor growth and spending. One might argue even more so after a few allegations of misuse of funds by its top execs recently came to light. There was a story about this locally within the last few months.

The recent SAA/HA link up was also covered in PBN and it sounds like HTA is trying to play up the surfing connection between the two locales. For SA surfers used to getting in the water with Great Whites I'd imagine they'd find the occasional Tiger Shark we have here to be a lesser threat. That and being able to surf without a wet suit would certainly have its appeal.

77H

77H

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am

DexSwart wrote:

One could make the same argument for Australians traveling to Hawaii. Bali, Fiji, New Caledonia, Rarotonga, Tahiti and a host more tropical island destinations are all closer to Australia than Hawaii. Not to mention that Australia has plenty of warm/tropical beach destinations of their own.

This doesn't stop hundreds of Australians from coming to Hawaii daily. HA, JQ and QF all serve HNL-SYD. HA and JQ also serve BNE and MEL respectively.

77H

BNAOWB

Mon May 01, 2017 2:27 am

T54A wrote:
No intention to mislead. Merely meant to be a lighthearted posts as to how far one can fly with one stop.

As a small example of this, I think that the busiest airports in the continental U.S. that are not reachable in one connection (including seasonal flights and DIY connections) from JNB are ONT and GEG.

DexSwart

Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

77H wrote:
One could make the same argument for Australians traveling to Hawaii. Bali, Fiji, New Caledonia, Rarotonga, Tahiti and a host more tropical island destinations are all closer to Australia than Hawaii. Not to mention that Australia has plenty of warm/tropical beach destinations of their own.

This doesn't stop hundreds of Australians from coming to Hawaii daily. HA, JQ and QF all serve HNL-SYD. HA and JQ also serve BNE and MEL respectively.

77H

Oh, that is very true, but from where I live in Melbourne it's only a 10-11 hour flight, max. Non stop.

I think a more apt description would be the amount of Australian tourists to Iceland or Greenland.

I don't doubt people would do it just a interesting way to do it IMO.

Coal

Mon May 01, 2017 1:10 pm

T54A wrote:
I cant imagine there are too many destinations that are further apart than Johannesburg and Honolulu

I fly at least once a year between SIN and MIA (used to two twice a year, some times up to four times) and it's usually a 26 to 35 hour journey with two stops.

Coal

Mon May 01, 2017 1:17 pm

77H wrote:
DexSwart wrote:

77H

And people said the same things re: SIN with Bali, Phuket, and a lot of other places a 2 hour flight away, and yet FJ started NAN and MK MRU.

dfwjim1

Sun May 07, 2017 3:34 am

DexSwart wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

I wonder how many Australians fly from Sydney to HNL to ANC especially in the Northern Hempshire's summer?

Oh, that is very true, but from where I live in Melbourne it's only a 10-11 hour flight, max. Non stop.

I think a more apt description would be the amount of Australian tourists to Iceland or Greenland.

I don't doubt people would do it just a interesting way to do it IMO.