CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Electronics ban - traveling with DSLR cameras and lenses

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Hey all!

Well, a topic that's not talked about very much, but it definitely is having an impact.

I will be flying with Etihad this summer, my route being New York JFK - Abu Dhabi - Mumbai - Abu Dhabi - Washington DC.

Being an amateur photographer myself, I do have a DSLR camera and a (kit) lens. So that obviously means it will have to be packed in to in the checked baggage.

However, Etihad does give the option to repack them before the USA pre-clearance facility.
From their website:
We encourage all guests to do this at the start of any US-bound journey. However, guests wishing to carry their larger electronic devices to Abu Dhabi Airport will be guided to a re-packing point before screening at the airport’s US Immigration facility. You will be asked to pack these items into specially provided secure cases, which will be stored in the aircraft’s cargo hold, for your collection on arrival in the US. All checked-in baggage must be within the weight allowance limits for the cabin in which you are travelling.

So, has anyone had the opportunity to go through the middle eastern airports (AUH in particular) with a DSLR camera and lenses? How did the packing procedure for it go? I tried finding stuff online, but with no success.

Thanks in advance!

CollegeAviator

Blimpie

Re: Electronics ban - traveling with DSLR cameras and lenses

Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am

Just becuase the service is offfered, it doesn't mean the same opportunity for theft is not present. This just may reduce the risk of damage within the baggage handling automation, but the human theft risk still remains.
Real men fly without wings!

ACDC8

Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

Since when does this ban pertain to cameras? A DSLR is hardly a large electronic device.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

dc9northwest

Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Since the USA implemented it.

ACDC8

Tue May 16, 2017 9:11 pm

dc9northwest wrote:

So the US implemented a ban on DSLR cameras? First I heard of that.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

dc9northwest

Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am

"large electronic devices"... people were freaking out about cameras... i think they're considered "electronic devices", aren't they? even DSLRs?

TK787

Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm

dc9northwest wrote:

Yep :)
Since March, TK is dealing with it also. Similar service with packing everything with bubblewrap and putting them inside hard-cases at the gate. And delivering at destination next to the baggage carousel. Recently, on one flight to JFK 122 laptops were checked in this way.
I travel with my DSLR's and bunch of lenses most of the time. I haven't used this service but seems like you have no other choice.
Buy production insurance and you should be fine. Even renters insurance should cover, you might want to check first.
Also, how to do you think your DSLR got to the store before you purchased it and think about all film professionals that have to check dozens of cases with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear when shooting overseas.
Here is a great link with pictures how TK handles it:
http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/ ... -airlines/