Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffh747
Topic Author

Tips for an avgeek during an ATL layover

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Howdy,
I just booked a nice itinerary on Delta, going FLL-ATL-PHL, with a 2hr 53mn layover in ATL next month. I found this thread viewtopic.phpf=4&t=703205&p=10380349&hilit=atl+layover#p10380349 which was rather interesting. My buddy who is on the same itinerary, and I were thinking about either doing the SkyClub with the outdoor deck, or going to the museum which is right by there. We're not sure which is better to get the best bang for our buck during this average-timed layover. We're in ATL from 5:55 until about 8:35 or so.
Any tips as to which is a better deal, or is there something else of interest to a pair of avgeeks who have no idea how to kill three hours in the world's busiest airport?

And would I be correct in assuming that the day pass for the SkyClub is not like the Gogo Wifi day pass in that I can use it across multiple Delta flights? As in, I would have to buy a separate day pass if I used the lounge in FLL, and another one in ATL right?

Cheers,
Jeff

PI4EVER

Re: Tips for an avgeek during an ATL layover

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I have flown through ATL for years (even in rain) without issues so let's not assume you're traveling on another "meltdown" day with adverse weather of monumental intensity. Weather Channel Drama 101 there....LOL.
In fairness, I flown four times in the last year to/from FLL and experienced delays on 3 flights due to weather, including a diversion to TPA. You-know-what happens at every airport and airline at some point. Relax and enjoy your trip!
The SkyClub pass is $59 and is noted as a "single" visit. In the past it would permit visits to any DL club city you flew through on the same day, but that may have changed due to overcrowding. You can purchase a day pass only at a Club desk so worth to check it in FLL, but frankly I'd save my $ and simply visit several concourses using the tram. E in the late afternoon is wide-body heaven. Plenty of food and beverage choices in every concourse. The PHL Club is small, no windows or views and not worth the visit.
The DL Museum is open daily 10AM-4PM.
Do not exit security because evening can be a busy period for clearing security and you'll notice quickly the concourses are crowded and very busy. It is what makes ATL the dynamic airport it is so just take it all in & enjoy the whole travel experience.
Unless you have arrangements for pick up with friends or family, there is rail service between PHL Airport and Center City Philly.
Look at "www.septa.org" for schedules to the city and suburban locations. Public transit in Philly includes, buses, trolley's, subways and the Regional Rail network noted that serves the airport. Easy to get around and inexpensive.
If sightseeing a great Hop On Hop Off double decker bus tour is available near Independence Mall for a comprehensive 90 minute or so tour of Philly. Well worth the price to get a close view of this historic city. The new American Revolution Museum opens this week.
Have a fun and safe trip.
Thomas
P.S. A must. A Philly Cheesesteak during your visit. If possible, hit Geno's as the iconic landmark Cheesesteak place.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
I have flown through ATL for years (even in rain) without issues so let's not assume you're traveling on another "meltdown" day with adverse weather of monumental intensity. Weather Channel Drama 101 there....LOL.
In fairness, I flown four times in the last year to/from FLL and experienced delays on 3 flights due to weather, including a diversion to TPA. You-know-what happens at every airport and airline at some point. Relax and enjoy your trip!
The SkyClub pass is $59 and is noted as a "single" visit. In the past it would permit visits to any DL club city you flew through on the same day, but that may have changed due to overcrowding. You can purchase a day pass only at a Club desk so worth to check it in FLL, but frankly I'd save my $ and simply visit several concourses using the tram. E in the late afternoon is wide-body heaven. Plenty of food and beverage choices in every concourse. The PHL Club is small, no windows or views and not worth the visit.
The DL Museum is open daily 10AM-4PM.
Do not exit security because evening can be a busy period for clearing security and you'll notice quickly the concourses are crowded and very busy. It is what makes ATL the dynamic airport it is so just take it all in & enjoy the whole travel experience.
Unless you have arrangements for pick up with friends or family, there is rail service between PHL Airport and Center City Philly.
Look at "www.septa.org" for schedules to the city and suburban locations. Public transit in Philly includes, buses, trolley's, subways and the Regional Rail network noted that serves the airport. Easy to get around and inexpensive.
If sightseeing a great Hop On Hop Off double decker bus tour is available near Independence Mall for a comprehensive 90 minute or so tour of Philly. Well worth the price to get a close view of this historic city. The new American Revolution Museum opens this week.
Have a fun and safe trip.
Thomas
P.S. A must. A Philly Cheesesteak during your visit. If possible, hit Geno's as the iconic landmark Cheesesteak place.

Howdy PI4EVER,
Thanks for your response! I'm returning home so I will have arrangements in Philly, and I agree with everything you said regarding transport connections there. It's all super convenient, especially since the SEPTA runs right through the airport.

That's a shame that the museum closes rather early and is automatically eliminated. I do appreciate the recommendation of exploring the terminals, specifically about E being widebody heaven. That should make for an awesome, and rather inexpensive time.

Thanks for the tips!
Jeff

PI4EVER

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 pm

And in case you did not see it, there was a post previous to mine about the recent DL weather situation in ATL and why you didn't fly nonstop etc, etc which the moderators have apparently removed for the snarky remarks.
My first sentence reference was "tongue in cheek" to that posting to help you understand why I made reference to rain, delays etc.
I feel this site is intended to offer helpful, informative, knowledgeable information and assistance, in a friendly manner. Good to see it is policed.
To just clear any confusion for you.I hope you have a great trip.
P.S. Terminal E also has great food options including Pei Wei & my favorite BLT at Arby's! Have a great trip home.

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
P.S. Terminal E also has great food options including Pei Wei & my favorite BLT at Arby's! Have a great trip home.

Eating in ATL is a little tricky for enthusiasts. Many of the good restaurants have little or no view; One Flew South, which IMO is the best restaurant in the airport time and budget permitting, has no view.

In contrast, most of the food courts and chain restaurants in the middle of the domestic concourses have great ramp views. I had dinner at the TGI Friday's on B last night and got my fill of Douglas aircraft for the next 6 months at least.

wv399

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Enjoy your layover! Everyone gave you some excellent advice. The Sky Club day pass will allow you to access multiple clubs. If you like you can visit the FLL location before you leave and then multiple locations in ATL. There's a new consolidated location on Concourse B. The PHL location closes at 7, so you wouldn't be able to use it there. You also might consider walking through the Plane Train tunnel to view the art and history exhibits. Varasano's has REALLY good Neapolitan-style pizza on Concourse A, and great views of the ramp.

Here's a link to airport maps

http://www.atl.com/maps/

jb1087xna

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 am

Cubsrule wrote:
In contrast, most of the food courts and chain restaurants in the middle of the domestic concourses have great ramp views. I had dinner at the TGI Friday's on B last night and got my fill of Douglas aircraft for the next 6 months at least.

Very true. I frequent the PF Changs that's in A on the second floor, not at all because of the food, because of their window facing bar seats. Loads of 757s and you may even catch one of the few remaining 763 domestics.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:42 am

Great to hear I can use the day pass through multiple locations!

On a somewhat related note, I have an upgrade offer from Delta. $43 gets me Comfort+ on both my flights. I don't mind paying the money, but is it really worth it? I read their description of the product on their website, but how is it in reality?

Cubsrule

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:55 pm

jeffh747 wrote:

On a somewhat related note, I have an upgrade offer from Delta. $43 gets me Comfort+ on both my flights. I don't mind paying the money, but is it really worth it? I read their description of the product on their website, but how is it in reality?

What aircraft are you on and what seats?

jeffh747
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

I probably should've mentioned that lol

FLL-ATL: A321
ATL-PHL: MD-90

Cubsrule

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

I probably should've mentioned that lol

FLL-ATL: A321
ATL-PHL: MD-90

Check the seat maps. Comfort+ may only have middles left, in which case it's not much of a deal. The M90 is not too bad in back; much better than the M88 or 717. I have not ridden a DL 321 yet.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Slight update;
Thank you to everyone for the tips! I decided to not opt for the Comfort+ upgrade, I figured it'd be nice to sit by the engines on the MD-90.
I will be purchasing a day pass at FLL, since you guys said I can use the same pass to access not only the FLL lounge but also the ATL lounges.

Cheers,
Jeff

ALTF4

Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
Slight update;
Thank you to everyone for the tips! I decided to not opt for the Comfort+ upgrade, I figured it'd be nice to sit by the engines on the MD-90.
I will be purchasing a day pass at FLL, since you guys said I can use the same pass to access not only the FLL lounge but also the ATL lounges.

Cheers,
Jeff

Careful - ask first in FLL before you buy it, if you can also use it in ATL. I don't think that's the case, despite what another poster said. Just ask.

Also, F is fun to visit as well; E has a lot of wide bodies, but F has some interesting ones around that time as well, maybe a KE A380 if you get there soon enough, Qatar 777, and some usual DL widebodies.

thewizbizman

Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Delta Museum.
Delta Museum.
Delta Museum.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 pm

ALTF4 wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:
Slight update;

Cheers,
Jeff

Careful - ask first in FLL before you buy it, if you can also use it in ATL. I don't think that's the case, despite what another poster said. Just ask.

Also, F is fun to visit as well; E has a lot of wide bodies, but F has some interesting ones around that time as well, maybe a KE A380 if you get there soon enough, Qatar 777, and some usual DL widebodies.

Hey!
It was NOT the case as you suggested, but I still bought a pass for FLL since I got there really early, and my friends split to pay my pass for ATL after accommodating them at my place this week. Sitting in the Concourse F lounge now as I type this! Excellent use of money!

Jeff