Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Matty8844
Topic Author

London City Airport

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

What are your thoughts of London City Airport?
Do you like the airport?
How was your experience flying from LCY?
How often do you Fly?

I personally like the ease and convenience, and the friendliness of the staff

PatrickZ80

Re: London City Airport

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 am

I've never flown to/from there, personally I think it's too expensive. No doubt very convenient for business passengers, but leisure passengers like me are often more price-sensitive. So far, every time I've been to London I've used Stansted. Maybe not the most convenient airport and quite far away from the city, but can't be beaten for it's low cost.

TheGeordielad

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:48 am

I think they should just close it.

opticalilyushin

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

I've used it many times, and it's my favourite airport experience in London. I don't fly it as much as I'd like because it does tend to be a little more expensive than the alternatives, but it's nice to land on a domestic flight, like Belfast or Glasgow and be able to disembark and be outside the front door in under a minute. My one small gripe is getting through security at peak times, it tends to be slower than some airports (Gatwick I can get through very quickly)

jumpjets

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:06 am

I used to love LCY but now the facilities there are inadequate for the volume of passengers who use it - plus it seems to get more than its fair share of weather delays [especially fog] which can result in the departure lounge being horribly crowded.

However arrivals are still great as you can be on the DLR platform quite easily within 15 minutes of the wheels touching the runway [if no hold baggage that is[.

As to pricing unlike earlier posts I have found that the BA off peak leisure fares compare quite favourably with the LHR/LGW fares - plus you get to fly on the E190 which is in my view way more comfortable than the BA A320 series.

CrimsonNL

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

It's still my favorite London airport but it's not as good as it has been. I remember flying out of there on a Tuesday afternoon in 2009 where I was with two friends, and the three of us were the only ones in the terminal not wearing a suit. Also back then they already had free wifi and power ports everywhere which was definitely way ahead of its time. Super convenient and comfortable.

Though now it has become very busy and the last time I was there it was crowded with entire school classes and families. So it has become a lot less premium over the years. But the location to downtown London is still unbeatable so I can imagine it will remain very popular.

Martijn

deltaguy767

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Only used LCY once on a last minute trip from MAD to London. Out of all the options BA to LCY was actually significantly cheaper versus other itineraries. Cannot beat the time from the plane to the DLR being <10 minutes and the location especially if one is headed to Canary Wharf or other downtown areas.

Do agree that the facilities are quite congested, and this was in 2011 so I can imagine they are even worse now. Not sure how best you'd remedy that considering the development in the area. Perhaps airlines could encourage passengers to arrive closer to departure time, but that carries its own risks.

sw733

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm

I still use it a decent amount because I tend to do some work near Rotterdam and then spend a day or two in London before coming back to the US. So, basically I use it about 4-5 times a year. Sure, it's not amazing, but it sure is convenient. I much prefer to fly IN to LCY than fly OUT of LCY because spending more than an hour or so at LCY is horrifically boring...but you rarely need to spend much more time than that.