Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

What I thought of Polaris, if you care!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 pm

I flew United Polaris RT from EWR to SFO. I was in 1L and 3L and I thought the seat was amazing in many ways and the cabin was beautiful. I spent a lot of time exploring, studying and grading the details.

It is a mini version of the United Global First seat. Not as much room or storage but actually even more private. Just like the seat in Global First, the forward facing seat has 3 windows (one with a mini shelf, something I have never ever seen before below a window). I thought the details were very well thought through. There was plenty of storage: the small cabinet with the mirror inside, the space below the TV screen, under the footrest and a small cubby hole for your glasses or iPhone and naturally the 777 overhead bin. The counter-top in faux marble and sconce light were nice touches and the industrial design (like it or not) was distinctive (it felt unique to United and NOT an off the shelf solution).

Mr Munoz said numerous times that their research showed that "sleep" was the single most important thing to passengers and they did deliver on that in spades. It was the "flattest" of any bed seat I have ever been in, no lumps or bumps, no slight angle, and long (I am 6 feet exactly and there was plenty of room both above my head and below my feet. The new eyeshades totally rock! The brushed metal handle bar above the TV was great to help you lift yourself out of your seat. Also the linens from Saks Fifth Avenue were really soft and elegant for fire retardant material!

The lavatory was also beautiful (mostly because it was a brand new plane) but also for the 4 "COWSHED" items on a nice shelves and custom wall paper that matched the seat and cabin.

The bulkhead sculpted relief and "POLARIS" sign were really nice, but the entry-way wall signs that are back-lit that truly stand out as exceptional. It might be the first time I have seen the CO globe and liked it. (execution is everything!) So, yes, I was very impressed, Polaris is a huge leap forward from the current flat bed. And the crew was great.

In the end, I'd give it an A-, it may not be the most luxurious seat in the sky, but anyone who would really "complain" about having to sit in a Polaris seat would be (IMHO) a snob. It's plenty good enough!

Your thoughts?

IPFreely

Re: What I thought of Polaris, if you care!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Well, reading your review it sounded like an A+, not an A-. Regardless, it sounds like a home run from UA. Thanks for the post and review.

VC10er
Topic Author

Re: What I thought of Polaris, if you care!

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:08 am

IPFreely wrote:
Well, reading your review it sounded like an A+, not an A-. Regardless, it sounds like a home run from UA. Thanks for the post and review.

Thanks for the reply. I graded it as A- because I have been in better seats on LUXURY airlines such as Singapore. But if I was to judge it only among large mainstream airlines, I would have gone for A or A+.

I didn't mention here that the 77W had "From the Flight Deck" (or Channel 9 as we used to call it) which was fantastic. Channel 9, being able to listen to the pilot and tower speak, was something that ONLY United had and it was a great differentiated feature for us aviation enthusiasts. I tuned in from taxi to take off and it reminded me of the old days and better than a movie. I give that one feature an A++

Cheers, R