Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BoeingBeast787
Topic Author

Best flight Newark to Phoenix

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to attend college next year in the Phoenix area. I'm from the New York area (Newark is the only airport I will be flying out of, LGA and JFK cost me nearly $35 in tolls and often take over 2hrs to get to, Newark takes me 30mins). Trying to decide which airline I want to stick with throughout my college years. I'm currently a United flyer and always have been, not sure how great they are for nonstop flights to Phoenix though. My #1 requirement is low price. I would almost always buy the cheapest seat available, including basic economy as I will only really have a backpack. My #2 requirement is odd, but I want an airline that often overbooks. Unless I have an emergency back home, I would have no problem giving up my seat in exchange for a couple hundred to go towards future flights (and a possible first class upgrade on a later flight).

Also, since I'm going to be flying often, what are some recommendations in terms of comfort and ease? I already have TSA Precheck and got a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones. What else do I need?

PatrickZ80

Re: Best flight Newark to Phoenix

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 pm

The only three airlines that fly directly from Newark to Phoenix are American, United and Southwest. Given the fact that you'd like a low price I'd check out Southwest first. I don't know if they overbook, but the chance of too many show-ups is so little that it hardly ever happens.

IPFreely

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 pm

BoeingBeast787 wrote:
I'm from the New York area (Newark is the only airport I will be flying out of, LGA and JFK cost me nearly $35 in tolls and often take over 2hrs to get to, Newark takes me 30mins).

Oh boy. Guess I'll grab some popcorn, sit back, and watch the "Which airport is the New York Airport" debate again.

BoeingBeast787 wrote:
My #1 requirement is low price. I would almost always buy the cheapest seat available, including basic economy as I will only really have a backpack.

Which ticket is the cheapest will not always be the same airline. It will vary based on time of year, day, demand, route, etc. It wouldn't be unusual to find odd or long connections cheaper than direct flights. And that brings lots of airlines, not just UA, AA, and WN, into the mix.

KLMatSJC

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 am

BoeingBeast787 wrote:
I want an airline that often overbooks.

Oh boy, here we go.

aeromoe

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 am

My response is simply based on the OP's subject line: The one that departs closest to ontime and arrives closest to ontime. That's the best flight anywhere in my opinion.