flyzapper
Topic Author

Favorite US economy plus/premium economy product?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Everyone,
I'll be traveling somewhat frequently for business this summer, and my company will pay for economy seats, including economy plus. What are your favorite brands for value and services received in economy plus?

FBWFTW

Re: Favorite US economy plus/premium economy product?

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am

Wow no replies? Strange. Anyhow, my FAVORITE "premium" economy product was the Delta standard economy product of the 1990's lol. 34" pitch, free snacks and food etc. Ahhh the good old days!

For more current PY/Y+ I generally will fly B6 even more space cause the legroom is awesome, plus the priority security and early boarding comes thru big time in BOS on busy days.
I've also experienced VX Main cabin select. Great product but a bit on the pricy side for my liking (I upgraded Day of cause there was availablity)
By far my favorite Y+ (and I hope they put in true premium economy) is HA's Extra Comfort. For just under/about $1K RT I've flown JFK-HNL RT twice in Extra Comfort. HA provides snacks, mostly free IFE and two meals on the ~11 hour flight (blocked @ 12hrs) The forward Y+ cabin was only 3 rows when I flew, very quiet and a private feel. The best Y+ seats (Row 11 AB/HJ and 11C/G imo) on HA are now disappearing due to the installation of the new lie flat cabin. 11AB/HJ are likely still the best legroom wise but there's a bulkhead now. I'll post up some pics for you. Sorry I don't have any left of VX cause it was some time ago.

HA Extra Comfort Y+ pics from Jan 2015
A330-243's N395HA, N390HA and N379HA (which was 31 days "old" when I flew her)
Legroom!

JetBlue Even More Space Y+
A320-232's
BOS-LAS-BOS/BOS-PBI-BOS 2016/17
Can't recall the reg's but one was Blues Brothers
Here's some pics of those flights:

Hope this helps you out. I believe DL gives free food and drinks in their Y+ section but I've not flown them in some time (since 1998 to be precise) My order of preference for airlines would go B6, pmVX (these are PRICEY SEATS) then HA (if Hawaii is involved lol) followed by DL and WN (as a last resort) if the routes made sense for me.

I'm a Y+/premium economy kind of guy-I want to get thru security, get on the plane early, have comfortable legroom and then get off the plane fairly quickly and since Y+ in the US consists of those benefits plus or minus I usually will grab Y+ tix or upgrade to Y+ (unless I find a ridiculously cheap price on F/J) I also figure that the more people talk about Y+ and TRUE premium economy, perhaps more airlines will roll it out (even for Domestic transcons)
Cheers and happy flying!
Airbus lover and unashamed avgeek
Flown on 721/2, 732/5, 741, 752, 762/3ER, L1011, DC8, DC9/10, MD88, E75/90, A320/21, A332/3
Fav Plane(s): A330-243/L1011
Fav Airlines: B6/HA/VX
Favorite engine(s): RR/PW
http://flightdiary.net/FBWFTW/flights/date/asc

spacecadet

Re: Favorite US economy plus/premium economy product?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:08 am

I've only flown Delta and JetBlue's Y+, but between them I'd vote for JetBlue. I'm 6'4" and Delta's Economy Comfort+ is about the *minimum* amount of legroom I can feel comfortable with. Even with what they offer, during a long flight as I relax and maybe slide down in the seat a bit, I end up with my knees still pressed against the seat in front, especially if the person ahead of me reclines. (I'm not complaining if they do; they have that right.) And it's difficult to use a laptop.

JetBlue gives a lot more space in their Even More Space seats. I believe it's 34-35" of pitch for Delta vs. 38" with JetBlue if you're on an A320 or 321. The E190's have a little less. JetBlue also puts their exit rows in the Even More Space section so you could get a *lot* more legroom. On the Delta flights where I've used EC+, they have bulkheads but not exit rows in that cabin, and the bulkheads don't really offer more legroom than the other seats. I dislike bulkheads in that situation because, while you do have the advantage of a totally vertical, flat wall in front of you rather than an angled seat that may also recline, you end up with less room for your feet. I find that more annoying.

Delta does give you free alcohol with an EC+ seat, but they don't actively encourage it so it's kind of uncomfortable to ask for it IMO. It's not like business or first class where they'll come up and ask if you want a drink, and then when you're done, ask if you want more. In EC+, you have to press the call button and ask for it, and then do it again if you want another. Of course you can get a free drink with the regular drink service, but I think they count on that being all most people will ask for. I never see anyone else ordering extra alcohol when I fly in EC+ so I feel a little self conscious about doing it myself; it doesn't feel like it's really meant to be an open bar as it does when you fly one of the higher classes. But I guess they would keep giving it to you if you just kept calling for more.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!