Jshank83
Topic Author

Flight advice

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 am

I am flying from STL-ALB for a wedding on a Saturday morning in September. I want to leave as late as possible for sleep reasons. I have a wedding I am going to the night before also (what are the chances 2 weddings in one weekend?). Anyways, I usually fly WN but their connection times are awful so I would need to fly out at 8 am just to make it by 3:30 pm. A 3 hour layover isn't high on my list. I haven't flown AA in forever and fly UA a couple times a year.

My options are

AA through ORD or PHL both leave St. Louis and arrive at ALB at pretty much the same time 9:30-2:45. The price is the same. Both are 50 minute layovers
UA through ORD leaves 11:30 arrives 4:40. 66 minute connection (terminal change) also $20 cheaper than AA flights
DL has no options that work for me.

The wedding is at 6 so I don't really know if I want to risk the UA flight running late but the 11:30 takeoff time would be nice to get some sleep after the previous wedding.

I have not connected through ORD or PHL before so I just wanted peoples opinions on which is easier and probably is more likely to be on time. I figure it being on a Saturday means traffic will be lighter so that might help. Do you think taking the later UA flight is too risky seeing I will probably only have about 45 minutes of delay to play with?

The AA through PHL is Air Wisconsin RJ200 and then a Peidmont ERJ145
AA - ORD MD 80 to ORD then Envoy air ERJ145
UA is 737 to ORD then Express Jet ERJ145

I have to at least ride a crappy ERJ145 either way for part of it but I wanted to put out as much info as possible if any of the RJ airlines have bad track record for time. If by chance you think all these are a bad idea then I might just deal with the early start time and long layover on WN.

Thank you all in advance. Any questions are welcome.

IPFreely

Re: Flight advice

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:23 am

In your case I highly recommend Delta Connection flights connecting in DTW or ATL.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:27 am

IPFreely wrote:
In your case I highly recommend Delta Connection flights connecting in DTW or ATL.

They don't have any that connect through DTW that Saturday and the one flight that Delta has that would make it in time is expensive and a few hours earlier in the morning. If they had an option through DTW, I would gladly take it. I think it being a Saturday that options are limited.

KFLLCFII

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:04 am

The last time I had a trip booked on AA (a few years ago), they changed the origin & connecting flight times in my itinerary on 3 separate occasions without even so much as an automated email notifying me of any changes.

Had I not checked up with the reservation online in the months leading up to the trip (which was originally booked 6 months in advance), I would have never known they changed anything until actually checking in for the flight. After that happened two more times before the trip without any notification whatsoever from AA, it really left a bad taste that this is how they operate...And I've never had that happen before or since with any other airline.

If it were me, I'd tread very cautiously about committing with AA for a trip so far in advance...It's one thing for an airline to make schedule changes (it happens), but it's entirely different when they don't notify ticketed passengers upon schedule modification(s) to allow them to be able to adjust plans accordingly.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
The last time I had a trip booked on AA (a few years ago), they changed the origin & connecting flight times in my itinerary on 3 separate occasions without even so much as an automated email notifying me of any changes.

Had I not checked up with the reservation online in the months leading up to the trip (which was originally booked 6 months in advance), I would have never known they changed anything until actually checking in for the flight. After that happened two more times before the trip without any notification whatsoever from AA, it really left a bad taste that this is how they operate...And I've never had that happen before or since with any other airline.

If it were me, I'd tread very cautiously about committing with AA for a trip so far in advance...It's one thing for an airline to make schedule changes (it happens), but it's entirely different when they don't notify ticketed passengers upon schedule modification(s) to allow them to be able to adjust plans accordingly.

Thanks for the info. I normally wouldn't fly AA because I try not to spread myself over all the main 4 airlines and AA is the easiest one for me to not fly based on where I fly. That said they have by far the best times for this trip so I might end up using them.

I think I am just going to book the WN flight for now. I can do it with points. I will sit on it and when the time gets closer I will re-evaluate my options since I can always cancel the WN flight later. If I end up having to sit in BWI for 3 hours, I can manage. I haven't been to that airport either. Luckily, STL has nonstops to most places on WN so I haven't had to deal with layovers in awhile.

Back to my other connection options. I have heard ORD is a nightmare, so that makes me nervous about it. PHL, I don't know anything about.