Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StlHsvSfoSan
Topic Author

Metal Implants Through Security (PreCheck)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 am

About 6 months ago I signed up for TSA PreCheck. I remember one of the questions was whether I had any metal implants. At that time the answer was no metal implants.

Since then (in March) I had foot surgery, which put a titanium piece in my foot. I will be traveling internationally in May. From what I have read in other places, the titanium plate probably won't set off the metal detectors. But in case it does, do I need any special documentation (letter from my doctor, etc), or does it just come down to going through a secondary screening ?

I will be flying through FRA, MUC, AMS, and ZRH with connections at EWR (outbound) and ORD (inbound) with origin at STL.

(I looked for a thread on this topic, but didn't see any. Please redirect me if there is one.)

qf789

Re: Metal Implants Through Security (PreCheck)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:36 am

I have titanium screws in both my legs just below the knee of which I have had there for over 20 years. Ive always travelled with a letter from my doctor just in case however I have never had an issue. I would probably advise you to get a letter from your doctor, its there if you need to refer to it though you shouldn't have any problems.

mmo

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 am

I have artificial hips and they set off the detector every time and all it requires is secondary screening. I don't have a Doctor's note but I would be very glad to show the security folks the scars I have on both hips. I keep volunteering to do that but have had no takers!!!

DaveFly

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 pm

I have an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. It will always set off the alarm, but more importantly, it can trigger my ICD. So I always request a manual search, but the new scattershot machines are ok. I carry an official card (same size as credit card) to show TSA. And I also carry a letter from my cardiologist as a backup. The security agents have always been very respectful.