TK787
Topic Author

Strange Pilot Announcement on recent UA2014

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't want another UA bashing thread, but this sounded pretty strange to me.
Moderators, move/delete if it gets off topic.

I was on UA2014 DEN-LGA ( lands at LGA around 11:30pm) recently and before take-off our male pilot gave the usual speech about the flight details. Everything pretty usual, except this part:
"....First Officer Laura will be flying tonight. She says she can find New York City... even though it will be dark....."
At first it seems pretty harmless, right ? He must be joking.
But, why would he say that? Would he make the same remarks if it was Flight Officer Larry sitting next to him, or...
If Laura was the pilot; would she make similar remarks about her FO, Larry ??

Why is this still OK?

BG777300ER

Re: Strange Pilot Announcement on recent UA2014

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm

You're making something out of nothing.

jwvw89

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Agreed, you are making something out of nothing.

I have heard many captains joke about their male FO's like this. I see this as equality. Male pilots joke with each other about stuff like this and he is including the female pilot in a common joke in the profession.

Tourist

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

jwvw89 wrote:
Agreed, you are making something out of nothing.

I have heard many captains joke about their male FO's like this. I see this as equality. Male pilots joke with each other about stuff like this and he is including the female pilot in a common joke in the profession.

You shut the door a bit hard there on him. But I could not agree more :bigthumbsup:

32andBelow

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Jeez OP, just no.

Tugger

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:06 pm

TK787 wrote:
"....First Officer Laura will be flying tonight. She says she can find New York City... even though it will be dark....."
But, why would he say that? Would he make the same remarks if it was Flight Officer Larry sitting next to him, or...

Why is this still OK?

It is fine. It really is more FO and Captain humor than anything else.

I am honestly positive the Captain would also do it with "Larry" sitting there next to him. I mean you are telling the passengers the "other guy" (or gal, or gal!. I know, don't want to be sexist....), the trainee, the second rate person in the front will be flying the plane, and not the leader, the boss, the numero uno, not the one with the with skills and time to actually be Captain. :D

Is it possible there is something else? Sure it is always possible but there are steps the FO could take if she needed too. And crew are honestly fully able to report these types of things and get them taken care of nowadays without repercussion.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MileHFL400

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh come on it's funny! That's pretty classic! Love his humor.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

sw733

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this. Asked my wife and she agreed. I'm sure he would make the same joke with a male at the helm.

jumbojet

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:50 pm

I am top of the list when it comes to the anti UA list but I am sure the two of them were just joking around up front when the announcement was made. You can always write to Oscar and maybe get some miles or some air time on CNN,

sevenair

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

TK787 wrote:
I don't want another UA bashing thread, but this sounded pretty strange to me.
Moderators, move/delete if it gets off topic.

I was on UA2014 DEN-LGA ( lands at LGA around 11:30pm) recently and before take-off our male pilot gave the usual speech about the flight details. Everything pretty usual, except this part:

Why is this still OK?

Oh dear lord. You know not everything is oppression or discrimination. The Feminists & the professionally offended have infiltrated everything it would seem. I recently had a captain mention I'll be flying and passengers can look forward to one of my 'famous' landings. Did I go all offended and claim he was saying that gays can't land? No. Absolutely not.

What a world!

sgbroimp

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:24 pm

And sometimes it goes the other way. Many years ago on a JFK-LHR BA 744, we caught a downdraft a few feet above touchdown and hit so hard (with absolutely no bounce) that a number of ceiling panels (but no masks) came flying down. A few minutes after the aircraft stopped, the captain came on and said: "Ladies and gentleman I should like to state that my first officer made that landing......but that would be a lie as it was in fact I who did so. We caught a downdraft just off the end of the runway, but nevertheless I apologize ....etc." My neck was actually sore, but the humor helped to defuse the negative.

KentB27

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 am

I'm a male and I was on a conference call with my boss one time talking to a client. My boss cracked a joke about how they finally got me to quit hanging out in front of the women's bathroom and get me to actually do my job. It was embarrassing but we all had a good laugh and it was harmless. This was supposed to be a lighthearted joke by the captain. I miss the days where excessive political correctness wasn't such a huge issue. As other people have said, you're making something out of nothing.

IPFreely

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 pm

TK787 wrote:
Why is this still OK?

Definitely not okay. You and your fellow passengers should get full refunds and a public apology immediately. And with a little persuasion you should get significant vouchers or perhaps free lifetime upgrades. The flight crew needs to be reprimanded and suspended without pay for at least six months. And they need to be warned that if they ever attempt to tell a joke again they will be terminated and possibly fined and/or jailed. I am truly sorry that you had to endure such a horrific event.

BobPatterson

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 pm

TK787 wrote:

This reminds me of my first flight on Southwest many years ago. Right after we touched down we heard from the flight deck:

"Whoa, Betsy, whoa girl!!!"

Funny the first few time I heard that, or something very similar.

But Betsy? Girl?

Why not Trigger and Boy?

Color me not PC.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.