precure787
Topic Author

2017: Worst year for UA? What happens next?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:39 am

I've seen backlashes against United Airlines recently in the news on this year, whether it's the leggings incident or the doctor forcibly dragged from an overbooked flight. Likewise, back in 2014, two Malaysia Airlines 777 jets have crashed (Flight 370 disappearance on March 8, Flight 17 shootdown on July 17), causing decrease in bookings with MH and retirements of 777 fleet. TransAsia Airways was shut down following the crashes of flights 222 and 235 (both ATRs). What will happen to United next, given these dire consequences?
Edward Zen/Precure 787

dfwjim1

Re: 2017: Worst year for UA? What happens next?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 pm

A little off topic...I have flown a lot over the years (as a passenger) and I have never seen or heard of an airline randomly choosing passengers already on an aircraft and forcing them to leave that aircraft to make room for crew members and/or passengers. I haven't flown on United in years so not sure if this is a common practice of theirs.

CrimsonNL

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Are you for real? You are comparing 2 hull losses causing the deaths of hundreds to two incidents where pax were denied boarding? The leggings incident was within UA company regulations and it's not even clear yet what exactly happened with the whole doctor debacle. Do you seriously think this has the same amount of impact to an airline as two hull losses? Unbelievable..

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Blimpie

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Ok, aside from the fact that I like your Rin icon there, What does UA's RP headaches have to do with Malaysia Airline's two hull losses? I seem to be missing the connection there?

Disregarding the the hull losses that are non-UA related.... The only thing worse for UA aside from a hull loss them-self would be, failure to IDB a horde of deadheading zombies (the undead kind, not the stoner kind) resulting in the cannibalization of everyone on-board!

I honestly have no idea what else UA can do to shoot themselves in the foot, but hey, we're only quarter of the way in to the year, and there's plenty enough pax out there who can just as easily have gripes on AA and DL.
Real men fly without wings!

SXDFC

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:31 am

Blimpie wrote:
I honestly have no idea what else UA can do to shoot themselves in the foot

They introduce a new livery, and it gets dumped on by this website.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

precure787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
Are you for real? You are comparing 2 hull losses causing the deaths of hundreds to two incidents where pax were denied boarding? The leggings incident was within UA company regulations and it's not even clear yet what exactly happened with the whole doctor debacle. Do you seriously think this has the same amount of impact to an airline as two hull losses? Unbelievable..

Martijn

That has more to do with airline image.
Edward Zen/Precure 787

precure787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Ok, aside from the fact that I like your Rin icon there, What does UA's RP headaches have to do with Malaysia Airline's two hull losses? I seem to be missing the connection there?

Disregarding the the hull losses that are non-UA related.... The only thing worse for UA aside from a hull loss them-self would be, failure to IDB a horde of deadheading zombies (the undead kind, not the stoner kind) resulting in the cannibalization of everyone on-board!

I honestly have no idea what else UA can do to shoot themselves in the foot, but hey, we're only quarter of the way in to the year, and there's plenty enough pax out there who can just as easily have gripes on AA and DL.

Whenever a crash or unprofessionalism towards customers occurs, the image of a company goes down.
Edward Zen/Precure 787

Blimpie

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:03 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Blimpie wrote:
I honestly have no idea what else UA can do to shoot themselves in the foot

They introduce a new livery, and it gets dumped on by this website.

I stand corrected. Today, UA announces Zodiac Concierge Service where you're very own personal scorpion gently provides you with a loving prick on the head. Stored conveniently in your overhead bin, the new Zodiac Concierge Service is there when you need it.
Real men fly without wings!

AirAfreak

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 am

I think UA lied about those girls wearing leggings by saying they were pass-travelers. What airline employee in their right mind would even extend that benefit to more than one STANDBY passenger traveling on the same PNR? It's hard enough to find open seats these days, no? Someone offered me a companion pass for a 2-for-1 standby promotion to Asia and as soon as I asked whether it was standby or confirmed, I declined when I heard standby. No thanks!
Premium Economy. It's like the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks.

BobPatterson

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:09 am

precure787 wrote:
I've seen backlashes against United Airlines recently in the news on this year, whether it's the leggings incident or the doctor forcibly dragged from an overbooked flight. Likewise, back in 2014, two Malaysia Airlines 777 jets have crashed (Flight 370 disappearance on March 8, Flight 17 shootdown on July 17), causing decrease in bookings with MH and retirements of 777 fleet. TransAsia Airways was shut down following the crashes of flights 222 and 235 (both ATRs). What will happen to United next, given these dire consequences?

Disregarding the fact that you are co-mingling UA-related and UA-unrelated items, what good does/will it do to compile a list of hypothetical guesses about future events?

If Maryland Senator Van Hollen is good to his word and introduces legislation regarding overbooking and involuntary bumping of passengers, there will be hearings and United Airlines will be front and center at them.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth by representatives of airlines and many interest groups.

It should be fun to watch.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

dc10lover

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 am

UA will be fine. The other airlines can't absorb United's traffic. They are too big and will fly on.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

precure787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 am

dc10lover wrote:
UA will be fine. The other airlines can't absorb United's traffic. They are too big and will fly on.

Thank you. The Department of Justice would prevent further mergers from happening. We'd still want airline traffic to continue to grow, not shrink.
Edward Zen/Precure 787