climbing230
Topic Author

Cheap fares for my tentative trip

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Hello all from HYD

I am planning for my first international trip ever (to Canada - Winnipeg) this july to visit my relative and I need some assistance/insight.

Following are my queries :

1. Airline that offers cheap or moderate fares , for that matter I looked up Cathay Pacific [CX] from HYD-HKG-YVR and then take up [AC].Fares are super high.
2. Avoid transiting (United states) or a city/country that does not require a transit visa (Would not prefer AUH,DOH,DXB that much - still my last option) for Indians
3.Any other travel related info that might be helpful.

-- Regards
Pramod
Wings take you higher

PatrickZ80

Re: Cheap fares for my tentative trip

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Best option is perhaps Air Asia + Westjet. On Air Asia you fly Hyderabad - Kuala Lumpur - Osaka - Honolulu. In Honolulu you can stay in the international zone and board your Westjet flight Honolulu - Vancouver - Winnipeg. Quite a number of transfers, but still the cheapest I think.

climbing230
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Best option is perhaps Air Asia + Westjet. On Air Asia you fly Hyderabad - Kuala Lumpur - Osaka - Honolulu. In Honolulu you can stay in the international zone and board your Westjet flight Honolulu - Vancouver - Winnipeg. Quite a number of transfers, but still the cheapest I think.

Hello Patrick , nice to hear that :smile: is not HNL a U.S territory ? so would I still require a transit visa via HNL?
Meanwhile I will check out the prices you suggested.
--Thank you again :D
Wings take you higher

PatrickZ80

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

It seems I spoke too early, Air Asia flights to Honolulu don't start until july 1st. Hyderabad to Honolulu is not so much a problem and also reasonably affordable, but Westjet doesn't connect very well to that. The plane to Vancouver just left when the plane from Osaka lands, so you'd have to spend a full day in Honolulu. Then in Vancouver the same problem again with the flight to Winnipeg.

I don't know if you need a transit visa in Honolulu if you stay in the international zone, but remember it's a long sit there.

MHG

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 pm

As a general rule I´d suggest you skip routings that include transfers between airlines from different alliances.
Next to that it helps a lot if you tell us what you consider a reasonable or "super high" fare ...
Plus how long do you want to stay or how flexible are you regarding travel weekdays.
I found round-trip fares around Rs.80.000 - 85.000 which I would consider as "reasonable".
Going via U.S.A. is likely a no-go because of the visa requirement - even in transit.
The reasonable offers I saw were (e.g.) from BOM on TK via IST and YUL and finally with AC to YWG.
Through fares from HYD are more expensive (due to less competition) and it may be cheaper to buy a separate domestic ticket HYD-BOM.
It all depends on your priorities (checking baggage through or being covered in case of delays/missed connections has its price ...)
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

PatrickZ80

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm afraid that's about the cheapest you can get it. I've searched all over for cheaper fares but couldn't find any. Different airline combinations, different routings, different dates, it all turned out to nothing.

I can say that july is perhaps the wrong month to travel as fares tend to be lower during the winter. Then there are holiday flights available between Goa and London gatwick on Thomson and Thomas Cook Airlines which are usually quite affordable. Plenty of flights between Hyderabad and Goa and getting from Gatwick to Winnipeg isn't too difficult either.

climbing230
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 pm

MHG wrote:
As a general rule I´d suggest you skip routings that include transfers between airlines from different alliances.
Next to that it helps a lot if you tell us what you consider a reasonable or "super high" fare ...
Plus how long do you want to stay or how flexible are you regarding travel weekdays.
I found round-trip fares around Rs.80.000 - 85.000 which I would consider as "reasonable".
Going via U.S.A. is likely a no-go because of the visa requirement - even in transit.
The reasonable offers I saw were (e.g.) from BOM on TK via IST and YUL and finally with AC to YWG.
Through fares from HYD are more expensive (due to less competition) and it may be cheaper to buy a separate domestic ticket HYD-BOM.
It all depends on your priorities (checking baggage through or being covered in case of delays/missed connections has its price ...)

MHG appreciate for acknowledging to my query.I shall take them into consideration.
-Regards
Pramod
Wings take you higher

maisydaisy

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Pramod!
I guess a good variant can be HYD-DEL (New Delhi)- TPE (Taiwan) and then Vancouver. You will skip the United States so you don't need a visa or permit. It will cost approximately 1000-1100$ that is even less than you reasonable budget. Yes, you'll have some extra stops but it will save you money.
You can even find something cheaper if the dates are not of the high matter to you. Personally I'd prefer to have 2 stops and wait a little but save money. The prices can vary though. If choose to travel via China airline, you'll end at 900-1100$ whilst Jet+Canadian will cost you 1300-1500$. The question is what do you choose comfort or money :)

MHG

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:22 am

maisydaisy wrote:
Hi Pramod!
I guess a good variant can be HYD-DEL (New Delhi)- TPE (Taiwan) and then Vancouver. You will skip the United States so you don't need a visa or permit. It will cost approximately 1000-1100$ that is even less than you reasonable budget. Yes, you'll have some extra stops but it will save you money.
You can even find something cheaper if the dates are not of the high matter to you. Personally I'd prefer to have 2 stops and wait a little but save money. The prices can vary though. If choose to travel via China airline, you'll end at 900-1100$ whilst Jet+Canadian will cost you 1300-1500$. The question is what do you choose comfort or money :)

Going the Eva Air route sounds like a good idea.
I would definitely prefer BR over cheaper offers by mainland China carriers (usually just a bit cheaper) as the routing would be reasonably straight and transfer at TPE is smooth.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys