Jfkspotting
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 part 2

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:47 am

Let's name some rare aircraft bookable in 2017: MUST BE IN SCHEDULED OR FREQUENT AIRLINE SERVICE, NO LEISURE FLIGHTS!


Please reply with the following:

Aircraft:
Airline(s):
Destnation(s):
Possible retirement date:
Notes

Here's some examples:

A300
A310
A318
A340-200
A340-300

An-2
An-24
An-26
An-28
An-32
An-38

ATR-72-200
ATR-42-200

Avro RJ (all series)

bae146 (all series)

B732
B733
B734
B735
B736

Dash7
Dash8-100
Dash8-200
Dash8-300

DC9 (all series)

do328
do328 Jet
do228 (all series)

embraer 110
embraer 120

fokker28
fokker 50
fokker70
fokker100

Jetstream 31
Jetstream 32
Jetstream 41

Md81/82/83
Md87

Saab340
Saab2000

Shorts 330
Shorts 360

Tu134
Tu154
Tu204
Tu214

Yak42
Yak40
Instagram: @jfkspotting
 
User avatar
Andypp
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

Airlink (part of SAA) run a twice daily Avro RJ85 between PRY and CPT.

Decent flight with great crew and always on time.
I am on Flight Diary: http://flightdiary.net/AndyPen/
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1295
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:48 pm

In Australia (RPT only)

Qantaslink

Fokker 100 - Big operation in PER

Dash 8-Q200 - LDH runs guaranteed (not cheap), otherwise sometimes NSW runs MRZ is your best bet.

Dash 8-Q300 - ADL-PLO/WYA guaranteed. Also common in NSW/QLD.

Virgin Australia

Fokker 70/100 - Big F100 operation in PER, Subcontracted (Alliance) F70/100 operation in BNE try EMD for the F70.

Regional Express

Saab 340 - Huge fleet (sole type) bases in all major cities.

Alliance

Fokker 50 - As far as I know still do ADL-OLP RPT runs.

Skytrans

Dash 8-100 - CNS to Cape York communities.

Air North

Embraer 120 - DRW to Arnhem Land communities.

Flypelican

BAe J31 - A few RPT runs out of SYD

Skippers

Operate Dash 8-100/300, Embraer 120, Metroliners not sure if they all do RPT.

Sharp

Metroliner operation out of MEB
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
Birdwatching
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:48 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I was wondering where / if you can still fly on a 146-100 or RJ70, any of those still in scheduled service?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 pm

For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheap
 
User avatar
albertocsc
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:57 am

A318/B733
TAROM
Many destinations around Europe.
No retirement date yet, as far as I know.
I also have flown on their A310s, but they are retired now.

A310
Mahan Air
Around Iran and beyond

B733/B734/B735
Blue Air, mainly out of Romania

I also would love to try CN212 and CN235, to see how my "local" product is, but I think that all civil variants of these aircraft are out of scheduled service now. The CN295 just doesn't have a civil variant.
 
Jfkspotting
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 am

albertocsc wrote:
A318/B733
TAROM
Many destinations around Europe.
No retirement date yet, as far as I know.
I also have flown on their A310s, but they are retired now.

A310
Mahan Air
Around Iran and beyond

B733/B734/B735
Blue Air, mainly out of Romania

I also would love to try CN212 and CN235, to see how my "local" product is, but I think that all civil variants of these aircraft are out of scheduled service now. The CN295 just doesn't have a civil variant.



TAROM only has 2 a318: how could they fly to "many destinations around EU"?

Is blue air reliable, safe, and sans-delay?
Instagram: @jfkspotting
 
blandy62
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:03 am

opticalilyushin wrote:
For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheap


but they also have a 200 in the fleet so might be hard to know what will be used for you flight. Gave it a try recently and "bad luck" the 200 was operating that day. Well was still happy to fly on a 146

Fokker70: Transnua in indoensia generally have a daily return HLP-DUM-HLM

SAAB 2000: Ethiad regional in Switzerland is an easy one

A318: Air France is an easy one. CDG-CKA, CDG-ZHR are very often serve by A318, some german routes too...

736: SAS for sure but kinda difficult to figure out the route/date combination

A310: not sure if it is still the case, but you can check PEK-NRT-PEK on PK
 
alexrg
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:30 am

My couple of contributions, with example routes:
--Best I can tell, Air France operates the A318 on AF1766 Paris-Florence through the end of the schedule.
--Iran Air operates the A300 between Tehran and LHR.
--A340-300 can be found with Air Tahiti Nui (though these will be gone in just a couple of years when the 787's are delivered), with Lufthansa (based out of MUC I think), with Swiss (an example route being ZRH-PVG)
--737-300's are readily available here in the US with Southwest (apparently they'll be retired on September 30 of this year though)
--737-600's can be found in the fleet of Westjet in Canada. I've seen them at MCO and I've heard they also operate to LAX sometimes.
--Q200's can be found in the fleet of United Express. United has them operating many of the flights between EWR and IAD.
--A single DC-9 (of the -30 series) is still in the fleet of PAWA Dominicana, and should be gone by this summer. Seeing as there's only one, flying it is kind of hit-or-miss. DC-9-10's can be found in the fleet of FlySAX of Kenya, though these are difficult to get as well.
--Great Lakes Airlines still operates a fleet of EMB-120's here in the US (sample route: LAX-Prescott, AZ)
--Fokker F28: Can be found with the aforementioned FlySAX. Routes hard to determine.
--Fokker F100: Perhaps the largest carrier to operate the F100 is Austrian (not sure of the routes)
--Fokker F70: Austrian as well
--Avro RJ: CityJet operates them from LCY
--Saab 340: Can be found here in the US flying for Silver Airways in Florida and the Carribean
Hope I helped!
Seize the memes of production
P.S. Check out my blog at ihaveaplanetocatch.com. Trip reports, travel, and general AvGeek-ness nonstop since 2015!
 
Bostrom
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:51 am

A few observations from a northern european point of view:

A318
British Airways LCY-JFK. Probably the A318 route with the lowest risk of the aircraft being replaced by something else.

A340-300
Scandinavian Airlines
Mostly long haul out of Copenhagen. CPH-SFO, CPH-PEK, CPH-NRT, CPH-PVG and CPH-ORD are usually operated by the A340 I believe. At the moment, it seems like SAS have no plans to get rid of them. Although they have as far as I know not announced what their plans are when the A350s arrive.

Avro RJ (all series)

Brussels Airlines.
BRU-BMA is the safest bet I'd say, until the SSJ takes over.

BRA
Busier Swedish domestic, like BMA-GOT or BMA-UME. Will be replaced by Cseries at an unknown date.

Swiss. Not sure where.

BAe ATP

Added this one to the list as I believe it might be considered a rare aircraft. Nextjet still has four of them flying in their network in Sweden and Finland.

B736

Scandinavian Airlines. Used all over the network, but a few routes where the 737-600 seem to be common are ARN-BRU, ARN-BGO, BGO-SVG, LLA-GOT and ARN-KRN. As well as other Swedish and Norwegian domestic routes. Although there is always a risk of a sudden change in aircraft to a -700, -800 or an Airbus. The plan is to retire the last -600 in 2019.

Dash8-100
Dash8-200
Dash8-300


Widerøe, all over their network. At the moment, their entire network is Dash8 (-100, -200, -300 and -400). Norwegian domestic routes and a few flights to Sweden and Scotland.

Jetstream 32

Direktflyg and AIS Airlines, on minor Swedish domestic routes. OSD-UME, ARN-EVG, ARN-HFS-TYF, BLE-GOT, BLE-ORB-MMX.

Saab340

Nextjet. Swedish domestic routes as well as routes to Finland. Too many to list.

Saab2000

BRA still has a few used on routes to and from BMA, but they are being replaced by ATRs.
 
User avatar
albertocsc
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

Jfkspotting wrote:
TAROM only has 2 a318: how could they fly to "many destinations around EU"?


I have flown them (always from their Bucharest hub) to Ámsterdam, Valencia, Istanbul, and Amman (this one is not in Europe, though). They also fly to Hamburg, Alicante,... So I said "many destinations around Europe" because you can fly them to many of the Tarom destinations in Europe and Middle East. Anyways, there are 4 A318.

Jfkspotting wrote:
Is blue air reliable, safe, and sans-delay?


I have only flown with them once, but it seemed like a good airline to fly with. Especially as I took my return leg in Wizz, so the comparison was much better for Blue Air. About their safety, I only know they had a runway overrun in Cluj like last year, but that's all.
Their main base is in Bucharest, but they are opening bases in many other Romanian cities, Larnaca, Liverpool and Turin.
 
Jfkspotting
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 am

blandy62 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheap


but they also have a 200 in the fleet so might be hard to know what will be used for you flight. Gave it a try recently and "bad luck" the 200 was operating that day. Well was still happy to fly on a 146

Fokker70: Transnua in indoensia generally have a daily return HLP-DUM-HLM

SAAB 2000: Ethiad regional in Switzerland is an easy one

A318: Air France is an easy one. CDG-CKA, CDG-ZHR are very often serve by A318, some german routes too...

736: SAS for sure but kinda difficult to figure out the route/date combination

A310: not sure if it is still the case, but you can check PEK-NRT-PEK on PK


Isn't Air Transat and SATA the only 310's left?
Instagram: @jfkspotting
 
trijetsonly
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Jfkspotting wrote:
Isn't Air Transat and SATA the only 310's left?


I also see Iran Air A310 flying over my house in Hamburg from time to time, even in 2017.
Happy Landings
 
PanzerPowner
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:38 pm

A340-300

Philippine Airlines
CEB-LAX Roundtrip
LAX-MNL Roundtrip (Possible 77W)
Says he likes Boeing and dispises Airbus but freaks out when he sees an A350, Aircraft Foaming at it's finest. :arrow: :!:
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:19 am

blandy62 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheap


but they also have a 200 in the fleet so might be hard to know what will be used for you flight. Gave it a try recently and "bad luck" the 200 was operating that day. Well was still happy to fly on a 146


Bad luck there, I flew with them in October and got the 100 from Caticlan.

Jfkspotting wrote:
Isn't Air Transat and SATA the only 310's left?


Also Iran Air, Mahan and Taban Air. Iran is well worth a visit! :)

alexrg wrote:
--A single DC-9 (of the -30 series) is still in the fleet of PAWA Dominicana, and should be gone by this summer. Seeing as there's only one, flying it is kind of hit-or-miss. DC-9-10's can be found in the fleet of FlySAX of Kenya, though these are difficult to get as well

Fokker F28: Can be found with the aforementioned FlySAX. Routes hard to determine.


I tried and failed on the PAWA DC-9 last year. As an airline they are still nice to fly on, they use a mix of MD82, 83 and 87s.

The Fokker 28 is parked up in NBO, the airline has no crew to fly it anymore

The DC-9-10 and 30s in Kenya are very much active. I flew them last month to Wajir and Somalia. Booking tickets is not easy, but the airlines were very helpful and understanding..we even got to go onto the ramp to take pics in Mogadishu.
 
Jfkspotting
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:09 am

blandy62 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheap


but they also have a 200 in the fleet so might be hard to know what will be used for you flight. Gave it a try recently and "bad luck" the 200 was operating that day. Well was still happy to fly on a 146

Fokker70: Transnua in indoensia generally have a daily return HLP-DUM-HLM

SAAB 2000: Ethiad regional in Switzerland is an easy one

A318: Air France is an easy one. CDG-CKA, CDG-ZHR are very often serve by A318, some german routes too...

736: SAS for sure but kinda difficult to figure out the route/date combination

A310: not sure if it is still the case, but you can check PEK-NRT-PEK on PK


ANYONE fly dash7 in Indonesia?
Instagram: @jfkspotting
 
blandy62
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:06 am

opticalilyushin wrote:
blandy62 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
For the 146-100 try Skyjet in the Philippines. Their fares are cheapBad luck there, I flew with them in October and got the 100 from Caticlan.

.


that sort of thiings happened when you are chasing a particular plane... the -200 joined the fleet in december if I recal well
 
blandy62
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 am

Jfkspotting wrote:
blandy62 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

ANYONE fly dash7 in Indonesia?


Not as i am aware of
 
Arion640
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Dash 8 300 - Jetstar New Zealand operating from Auckland to places such as Napier and Palmerston North. Leased from
EAA so no retirement date.
319 320 321 346 388 733 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 E195 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75
 
Birdwatching
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:48 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 pm

What's the current situation with rare planes in Iran? As far as I'm aware, more and more newer generation Airbuses are being added to fleets. Has anybody been there recently?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Birdwatching wrote:
What's the current situation with rare planes in Iran? As far as I'm aware, more and more newer generation Airbuses are being added to fleets. Has anybody been there recently?

I don't know if this will help but the only airline with firm new planes arriving soon Iran Air which they have 1 A321&2 A332 with 4 ATR72s and 1 B77W on the way.Iran Asemen has sign agreements for 30+30 B737 MAX and 7 A320 NEOs. If you want to look up pictures or go to google maps and go on Tehran Merabad airport (if that's how it's spelled) there is a lot of aircraft you can look and see that are out of service because there isn't the parts.
I believe mahan Air still has sanctions.I think mahan air should add the spare Virgin A346s as they have 7 already in the fleet.
 
Jfkspotting
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:00 am

alexrg wrote:
My couple of contributions, with example routes:
--Best I can tell, Air France operates the A318 on AF1766 Paris-Florence through the end of the schedule.
--Iran Air operates the A300 between Tehran and LHR.
--A340-300 can be found with Air Tahiti Nui (though these will be gone in just a couple of years when the 787's are delivered), with Lufthansa (based out of MUC I think), with Swiss (an example route being ZRH-PVG)
--737-300's are readily available here in the US with Southwest (apparently they'll be retired on September 30 of this year though)
--737-600's can be found in the fleet of Westjet in Canada. I've seen them at MCO and I've heard they also operate to LAX sometimes.
--Q200's can be found in the fleet of United Express. United has them operating many of the flights between EWR and IAD.
--A single DC-9 (of the -30 series) is still in the fleet of PAWA Dominicana, and should be gone by this summer. Seeing as there's only one, flying it is kind of hit-or-miss. DC-9-10's can be found in the fleet of FlySAX of Kenya, though these are difficult to get as well.
--Great Lakes Airlines still operates a fleet of EMB-120's here in the US (sample route: LAX-Prescott, AZ)
--Fokker F28: Can be found with the aforementioned FlySAX. Routes hard to determine.
--Fokker F100: Perhaps the largest carrier to operate the F100 is Austrian (not sure of the routes)
--Fokker F70: Austrian as well
--Avro RJ: CityJet operates them from LCY
--Saab 340: Can be found here in the US flying for Silver Airways in Florida and the Carribean


Hope I helped!



WHen will the DC9 be retired? its replacement, the md87 isn't even ready yet
Instagram: @jfkspotting
 
Avionic7779x
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:54 pm

I know Dynamic Airways still has 2 767-200s and 1 767-200ER I think they are the only commercial 767-200s in operation.
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Also UTAir with the 762s
 
OlafW
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Birdwatching wrote:
What's the current situation with rare planes in Iran? ... Has anybody been there recently?

If last year October counts as recently, then yes.
Almost all airlines are adding some newer planes to their fleets. The MD80s of all kinds are slowly on their way out, being replaced by older 320 family planes and 737 classics. The number of 727s at Aseman is also gradually reduced. No idea how long Mahan's sole 743 will stay active. The best source these days seems to be http://fleet.myaviation.ir/ where all airlines (except for Pouya Air) are listed with recent updates.
When in Iran, you can always ask for the type of plane during booking, but it's not always certain to get what you expect. For example I missed a MD-83, getting an ex-MH 734 in hybrid livery instead.
 
User avatar
Adipasquale
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Here are a few I can recall off the top of my head, apologies for any repeats
A310
-TS has 9 that they operate to the Caribbean, Europe, and on domestic routes here and there
A318
-AF on many routes, they have the largest fleet at 18
-Avianca Colombia and Avianca Brasil operate 10 and 7 318s, respectively. Some of which have the ultra-rare PW6000
-BA on their LCY-JFK service
-TAROM has 2, as others mentioned
A321-100
-AF has five, although the 321 itself isn't rare, I'd say the -100 is
733
-WN still has 77 right now, so they're not all that hard to get here in the US until later this year
736
-WS has 13 that they operate throughout their network, though most reliably on YYZ-LGA
-SK with their 20
-TU has 7 that they operate many flights to France with
F100
-Qantaslink in Western Australia, mainly from Perth to smaller destinations
Saab 340
-Silver Airways mainly in southern US
-Regional Express in Australia SYD and MEL to many small destinations
DH8A
-AA Eagle mainly from PHL to small destinations
DH8B
-UA Express out of IAD and EWR to many small-mid size destinations
-Qantaslink SYD-LDH RTs usually run over $1000, I wish I had been able to fly this, LDH looks amazing
DH8C
- AA Eagle again
-UA Express ahain
-Qantaslink again, but to more destinations
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W
 
AirMitko
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:03 pm

An absolute beauty and rarity Airbus 340-500
This days is active A6-EHD between AUH and CAS/RBA/CAI.
*************************************
Aircraft: An 24 and An 140
Airline: Motor Sich
Destnations: OZH, IEV, LWO, ODS
Possible retirement date:.....
Notes: extremely low fares. Somtimes on this flights are operating Yak 40 and An 74
*************************************
Another operator of SAAB 2000 in Southern Europe is TUS Airways
Aircraft: Saab 2000
Airline: TUS Airways
Destnations: Between Cyprus, Israel and Greece
*************************************
Aircraft: Jetstream 41
Airline: Sky Express
Destnations: Greek islands, not operating from/to ATH
*************************************
Two more interesting operators in Greece:
Ellinair with ARJ85
Astra Airlines with BAe146-300
*************************************
Does Olympic Air still operate Dash8-100?
AB6/313/318/319/320/32N/321/332/333/343/346/388/717/733/734/735/736/73G/738/739/744/752/753/763/772/773/788/AN4/AT4/AT7/AR1/AR8/141/142/143/CR9/CRK/DHT/DH4/D38/ER3/ER4/E75/E90/E95/F50/F70/100/IL8/IL9/J32/J41/L4T/M82/M83/TU3/TU5/SF3/S20/SU9/NDE/TRN/
 
blandy62
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:35 am

Yeti airlines have 7 Jetstream 41 in operating if you happen to go to Nepal
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 7868
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Star Peru is good for 146-100/-200/-300s. LIM-CUZ 141, KUM-PEM 142, LIM-IQT 143
I am flying Air chathams in a few days one way CV580 one way Metro III AKL-WAG. The 580 is due maintenance on th Saab 340 usually on
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
MHG
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:33 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 am

AirMitko wrote:
Aircraft: An 24 and An 140
Airline: Motor Sich
Destnations: OZH, IEV, LWO, ODS
Possible retirement date:.....
Notes: extremely low fares. Somtimes on this flights are operating Yak 40 and An 74

At least the AN-74 is extremely rare - albeit it happens occasionally (presumably when AN-74 crew need recurrent training ...)
All other types are somewhat switched between routes often at short notice.

The great advantage of Motor Sich is no matter which flight you book you are guaranteed to sit in a Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet made airliner as the airline does not operate western equipment.
And from my own experience (3 flights so far) they keep their aircraft in good condition and crews are quite friendly and not alien to enthusiasts.
Also booking flights is easy as there´s an English version of the website / booking engine and fares may be even displayed in € or US$ for reference.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 am

MHG wrote:
AirMitko wrote:
Aircraft: An 24 and An 140
Airline: Motor Sich
Destnations: OZH, IEV, LWO, ODS
Possible retirement date:.....
Notes: extremely low fares. Somtimes on this flights are operating Yak 40 and An 74

At least the AN-74 is extremely rare - albeit it happens occasionally (presumably when AN-74 crew need recurrent training ...)
All other types are somewhat switched between routes often at short notice.

The great advantage of Motor Sich is no matter which flight you book you are guaranteed to sit in a Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet made airliner as the airline does not operate western equipment.
And from my own experience (3 flights so far) they keep their aircraft in good condition and crews are quite friendly and not alien to enthusiasts.
Also booking flights is easy as there´s an English version of the website / booking engine and fares may be even displayed in € or US$ for reference.


Since I've heard about Motor Sich and their awesome fleet I'm super excited to go to Ukraine and enjoy their ancient An 24. Currently it looks like the An24 is only operating on the route OZH-IEV. All other routes are shown as An 140. Has anyone been to Zaporozhye? The late arrival from IEV and the lack of a return flight to IEV on the same day makes it necessary to spend at least one night there. The departure to IEV is in the early morning, so it's not super convenient. Except for the fun of experiencing an ancient An24, OZH wouldn't exactly be my first choice.

By the way, Iran Air also still sends the A310 to CGN at the moment
A306 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 B733 B737 B738 B739 B743 B744 B748 B752 B753 B763 B764 B772 B77W B788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA, AB, AC, AF, AK, AZ, BA, DE, DL, EW, FR, HF, HG, IB, IR, MF, LH, LT, LX, TG, TK, TP, UA, VN, WN, W6, YP, YW
 
User avatar
LinaRibo
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 am

An-24: daily flights in Russia.
 
nicode
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

AirMitko wrote:
An absolute beauty and rarity Airbus 340-500
This days is active A6-EHD between AUH and CAS/RBA/CAI.
Also add Azerbaijan Airlines with DXB-GYD and MOW-GYD (don't know which Moscow airport), from time to time.
 
dc9northwest
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sat May 06, 2017 4:50 pm

LH748 wrote:
MHG wrote:
AirMitko wrote:
Aircraft: An 24 and An 140
Airline: Motor Sich
Destnations: OZH, IEV, LWO, ODS
Possible retirement date:.....
Notes: extremely low fares. Somtimes on this flights are operating Yak 40 and An 74

At least the AN-74 is extremely rare - albeit it happens occasionally (presumably when AN-74 crew need recurrent training ...)
All other types are somewhat switched between routes often at short notice.

The great advantage of Motor Sich is no matter which flight you book you are guaranteed to sit in a Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet made airliner as the airline does not operate western equipment.
And from my own experience (3 flights so far) they keep their aircraft in good condition and crews are quite friendly and not alien to enthusiasts.
Also booking flights is easy as there´s an English version of the website / booking engine and fares may be even displayed in € or US$ for reference.


Since I've heard about Motor Sich and their awesome fleet I'm super excited to go to Ukraine and enjoy their ancient An 24. Currently it looks like the An24 is only operating on the route OZH-IEV. All other routes are shown as An 140. Has anyone been to Zaporozhye? The late arrival from IEV and the lack of a return flight to IEV on the same day makes it necessary to spend at least one night there. The departure to IEV is in the early morning, so it's not super convenient. Except for the fun of experiencing an ancient An24, OZH wouldn't exactly be my first choice.

By the way, Iran Air also still sends the A310 to CGN at the moment


An-140 often on OZH-MSQ with often an-24 for all the rest of the flights. But can change daily.
 
MHG
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:33 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm

LinaRibo wrote:
An-24: daily flights in Russia.

I know ...

I recomended Motor Sich flights because most western citizens don´t need visa for Ukraine now.
For russia most western citizens must obtain a visa beforehand - not even visa on arrival is possible. That´s a lot of hassle.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys
 
User avatar
TOGA10
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:49 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon May 08, 2017 11:37 am

Jetstream 41: Eastern Airways in the UK. 17 operating as of March '17, mostly domestic/regional routes from British airports, also serving a few French, 1 Italian and 1 Norwegian city. Not sure which aircraft operates which routes, although booking to and from NCL is pretty much guaranteed either the Jetstream or the Saab2000.
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato
 
danvs
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Thu May 11, 2017 3:29 am

B732: Air North Yukon.
 
dc9northwest
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Can you find any proof it flies regularly? According to flightradar24, it hasn't been spotted in a while. But that doesn't mean it's not flying up in the frozen North... If your proof is just the seat map, it's a case of mistaken identity.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10050
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed May 24, 2017 3:05 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
Jetstream 41: Eastern Airways in the UK. 17 operating as of March '17, mostly domestic/regional routes from British airports, also serving a few French, 1 Italian and 1 Norwegian city. Not sure which aircraft operates which routes, although booking to and from NCL is pretty much guaranteed either the Jetstream or the Saab2000.


NCL-IOM-BHD is a safe bet and good value at under £60 one way. They also have taken over the Welsh airlink from CWL-HLY, which has cheaper fares but is more out of the way.


Dan
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
AirMitko
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 am

nicode wrote:
AirMitko wrote:
An absolute beauty and rarity Airbus 340-500
This days is active A6-EHD between AUH and CAS/RBA/CAI.
Also add Azerbaijan Airlines with DXB-GYD and MOW-GYD (don't know which Moscow airport), from time to time.


Azeri's Airbus A340-500 is operating flights J2 8852/51 Baku- Moscow/Domodedovo- Baku... but on very short notice is getting substituted by 767-300 or Dreamliner.
From end of this week same A340-500 will be active again on Baku-Dubai-Baku route J2 011/012.
You can follow this model deployment on FR24 with aircraft regs 4K-AZ85, 4K-AZ86 (this particular aircraft is not active since a while).
AB6/313/318/319/320/32N/321/332/333/343/346/388/717/733/734/735/736/73G/738/739/744/752/753/763/772/773/788/AN4/AT4/AT7/AR1/AR8/141/142/143/CR9/CRK/DHT/DH4/D38/ER3/ER4/E75/E90/E95/F50/F70/100/IL8/IL9/J32/J41/L4T/M82/M83/TU3/TU5/SF3/S20/SU9/NDE/TRN/
 
AirMitko
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 am

And what about this crazy model- Ilyushin IL-114 ...
Uzbekistan Airways has six of them! Beside two more in Russia with Vyborg Airlines... as rare as it can be!
So the uzbeks are operating this gem regularly on domestic routes and you can try IL-114 on almost 1,5-2h sectors for 70-80$ per direction.
https://www.uzairways.com/sites/default/files/summ_rs.pdf
Check Tashkent- Bukhara with several flights daily and also you can get two segments on price for one Tashkent- Karshi- Termez. :spin:
AB6/313/318/319/320/32N/321/332/333/343/346/388/717/733/734/735/736/73G/738/739/744/752/753/763/772/773/788/AN4/AT4/AT7/AR1/AR8/141/142/143/CR9/CRK/DHT/DH4/D38/ER3/ER4/E75/E90/E95/F50/F70/100/IL8/IL9/J32/J41/L4T/M82/M83/TU3/TU5/SF3/S20/SU9/NDE/TRN/
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am

The Mahan 747-300 is flying again. It re-entered service last week, and I had a great domestic flight on it at the weekend.
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am

opticalilyushin wrote:
The Mahan 747-300 is flying again. It re-entered service last week, and I had a great domestic flight on it at the weekend.



Surely the last pax classic that you can book in the world, right....?
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:51 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
The Mahan 747-300 is flying again. It re-entered service last week, and I had a great domestic flight on it at the weekend.



Surely the last pax classic that you can book in the world, right....?


I think so, the sistership was stored up with all the other long term retirees at Mehrabad
 
YVRLTN
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:49 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 am

danvs wrote:
B732: Air North Yukon.
Only one left and it is only used on charters or subs. However, as the -400 & -500 are getting rarer, they operate both to YVR (currently AM & PM flights respectively).

The HS748 days are also numbered, two have been retired and 2x ATR's are in the fleet now.

Canadian North also have a 4 732's left, I cant confirm all are still current. The -300's are now operating many of the scheduled flights.

Summit Air operate the Avro RJ85 between YZF & YEG for First Air (they no longer have any 732's BTW).

If the Saab 340 is rare, then Pacific Coastal operate both the A & B models ex YVR. They also have several Beech 1900C's (though if you want to book one be careful as they now have several D models too). Their seaplane division has now been split off and is called Wilderness Air, and they continue to operate the Grumman Goose from their Port Hardy base (along with the Beaver).

There is still one Beech 18 on floats in operation with Pacific Seaplanes, but is used for charters only. Harbour Air continue to operate a pair of the ex West Coast Air Twin Otter 200's on floats mainly between downtown Vancouver downtown CXH and Victoria Harbour.

There are of course many Beavers & Otters at YVR and downtown, Harbour Air have taken over Whistler Air & Saltspring Air and operate them in a new family livery. Seair is the other main Beaver operator along with a couple of Turbo's as well, plus Caravan's and a Skywagon. Other scheduled Beaver operators are Gulf Island Seaplanes and Sunshine Coast Air.

Orca Air also sporadically operate their Beech 99 on the YVR - Tofino run, though most flights are operated by Navajo Chieftain. KD Air operate the Navajo 310 & 350 Chieftain, they even run extra flights with a PA32 Cherokee SIX or C172 on scheduled flights now and again!

CMA operate the Do328TP to Prince George and have taken over the Hawkair Dash 8-100's and use them on that route too.

Jazz are retiring the Dash 8-100, none at YVR anymore, retiring breed. Their unique CRJ-705's will also be all upgraded to standard -900's in due course, so catch them while you can too, all the new deliveries are straight 900's.

Helijet fly scheduled flights ex YVR & downtown with the Sikorsky S76.

That's it from Western Canada I think...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 pm

When visiting Milan Linate last week I noticed a Meridiana MD-80 flying to and from Olbia, Sardinia. Does anyone know how many MD-80's Meridiana still have and on what routes they are deployed?
 
AirMitko
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Flew this Thursday three rare models in one day:
NCL- IOM- BHD- IOM- GLA Eastern Airways Jetstream 41
GLA- MAN Logan Air/FlyBe SAAB 2000
MAN- NWI Logan Air/FlyBe Dornier 328
Very nice and friendly crews- happy to show and share.
That was FUN, FUN, FUN!!!
AB6/313/318/319/320/32N/321/332/333/343/346/388/717/733/734/735/736/73G/738/739/744/752/753/763/772/773/788/AN4/AT4/AT7/AR1/AR8/141/142/143/CR9/CRK/DHT/DH4/D38/ER3/ER4/E75/E90/E95/F50/F70/100/IL8/IL9/J32/J41/L4T/M82/M83/TU3/TU5/SF3/S20/SU9/NDE/TRN/
 
AirMitko
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
When visiting Milan Linate last week I noticed a Meridiana MD-80 flying to and from Olbia, Sardinia. Does anyone know how many MD-80's Meridiana still have and on what routes they are deployed?

Check the activity of following registrations in FR24:
I-SMEN
I-SMER
I-SMES
I-SMET
you will get good idea about routings and schedules.
AB6/313/318/319/320/32N/321/332/333/343/346/388/717/733/734/735/736/73G/738/739/744/752/753/763/772/773/788/AN4/AT4/AT7/AR1/AR8/141/142/143/CR9/CRK/DHT/DH4/D38/ER3/ER4/E75/E90/E95/F50/F70/100/IL8/IL9/J32/J41/L4T/M82/M83/TU3/TU5/SF3/S20/SU9/NDE/TRN/
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

AirMitko wrote:
Flew this Thursday three rare models in one day:
NCL- IOM- BHD- IOM- GLA Eastern Airways Jetstream 41
GLA- MAN Logan Air/FlyBe SAAB 2000
MAN- NWI Logan Air/FlyBe Dornier 328
Very nice and friendly crews- happy to show and share.
That was FUN, FUN, FUN!!!



Did the Eastern J41 trip 2 weeks ago
NCL-IOM-BHD... can also be had at a reasonable price , £59.

Have got EDI-NWI-MAN-GLA booked on Loganair next week.... 1st two legs on the 328, and the last leg on the SAAB.
Cheap as well..13500 miles
 
whiskeyhotel
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:46 am

Re: Rare Aircraft You can fly, 2017 *FORUM #2*

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Recently returned from a trip to Colombia. Medellin's Olaya Herrera domestic airport (EOH) is like rare turboprop paradise. Flew on a Satena Harbin Y-12 EOH-NQU-EOH, and an EasyFly J41 EOH-MTR-CTG. ADA Colombia also operates J32 and Do328-100s. Don't recall the name of the charter operator that was selling the flights, but there was a Let-410 in Pacifica de Aviacion livery flying scheduled charters up and down the Colombian Pacific coast from Nuqui (NQU).

Anyone know if Transporte Aereo Militar (TAM) Bolivia is still operating their Fokker F27? They used to run it from La Paz to Uyuni, and I've seen 2016 YouTube videos of it operating, but I don't even see that route advertised on their website anymore. Looks like Amaszonas Metroliners can be had between UYU-VVI.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: masgniw and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos