JonathanRP
Topic Author

LHR-CPT best options?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Hey A.netters!

I want to fly to Cape Town (from LHR) in November and wanted to hear your recommendations for airlines, aircraft type and perhaps even preferred stop overs (if any).

Ideally I'd like to fly Star Alliance (as I've started collecting points since flying with SQ to SYD and back), I believe Ethiopian (not sure of the 2-letter code) fly to CPT via ADD - I've seen Ethiopian A350s at LHR and I'd LOVE to fly an A350, but when trying to do dummy bookings, I'm only presented with 787s and 777s, any help regarding that, would be awesome!

Note: I don't really want to be spending anymore than £600 either.

Bostrom

Re: LHR-CPT best options?

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:32 am

As more A350s are delivered, the chance of flying the A350 increases. Maybe the booking system just hasn't been updated yet?

For Star Alliance there is also Lufthansa via Frankfurt or Munich, gives you an opportunity to fly the A340 before it disappears.

b777a340fan

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:26 am

The only direct flight LHR-CPT seems to be BA, which is very pleasant.

You can also connect in IST with TK, in DXB with EK, in DOH with QR, in JNB with SA.

I have flown with SA and have been very happy with their service.

PatrickZ80

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 am

If you want to go dirt cheap there's also the possibility of EuroWings with a transfer in Cologne-Bonn. As EuroWings is part of Lufthansa technically they're still a Star Alliance member, but I don't know if they participate in any frequent flyer program or anything.

As for aircraft, EuroWings has pretty default ones. A320 from London to Cologne-Bonn and A330 from Cologne-Bonn to Cape Town.

Andypp

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 am

The BA flight to Cape Town is on a 747-400. My experience of BA 747s is pretty poor, particularly in economy.

The cheapest way to get to Cape Town with an international connection is generally ET, EK or QR and on the right dates these can be found for under £500. I personally would avoid ET unless you want a real African experience. ADD is a hellish airport and ET as an airline is very poor.

If you wanted to stick with Star Alliance, I suggest SAA via JNB. Flights to JNB are generally cheaper than flights to CPT due to competition of routes (6x daily LHR-JNB flights + KL, ET, QR, EK, TK, AF, LH and LX all offering cheap connections) and can be found for £400 indirect and £580 direct). Internal flights in SA are incredibly cheap and you can get a Mango ticket on the same booking usually for £50-£100 rtn. Mango is SAA's budget airline. November may be more expensive as it's hitting peak holiday season in SA.
I am on Flight Diary: http://flightdiary.net/AndyPen/

BartSimpson

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi there,

I'm flying twice a year from the continent to Cape Town and have tried a lot of different routes. The worst one was with Virgin via LHR, just recently I had a very good experience with Lufthansa FRA-CPT nonstop. The A340 was a refurbished one with very good seats and IFE (in Y). My return leg is on Swiss via ZRH but since this will be my first trip on Swiss I can't tell you anything yet about it. If I get back to S-A later this year I will try Eurowings.

In addition, I have used AF (not really to be recommended), Afriqiyah (very adventurous and no option any more, anyway), BA (several times, quite good), KLM (average), Ethiopean (my first B787 flight, also worth a look), Etihad (very good - I got a free upgrade to Business once!), South African (also to be recommended), Turkish (quite ok but I avoid them nowadays).

One last thing: If you connect through JNB to CPT use rather Kulula than Mango. They are much more preferable.

masgniw

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 pm

If your primary goal is to earn Star Alliance miles, I think TK or SA is the best bet.

I'd guess TK is probably the cheaper of the two, but I've really had great service on SA. Another pro of going with SA is that the JNB-CPT route, which you'll need for connecting, is one of the most heavily serviced routes in world. Lots of options to accommodate you and any delays you might encounter.

JonathanRP
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses.

With regards to BA, I've heard many mixed reviews about their product and on top of that, they're not Star Alliance, so I'm a little apprehensive - also, either direct, or with a stopover, total return flights cost about £1000, I appreciate the suggestion though, especially as they offer direct flights which, though I'm not bothered about, was nice to know!

QR was about £650. As far as Star Alliance goes; SA was tempting but return flights are coming up at about £700 and LH was £800. Only TK and ET are sub-£500, so now I guess it's a question of which is the preferable airline, and stop over in your opinions?

From looking at ET again, apparently I'll get to fly both the A350 and 787 (I haven't flown either yet), and that sounds very enticing, however is ADD airport really bad?

ACDC8

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 pm

JonathanRP wrote:
however is ADD airport really bad?

Who cares? Think of it as an adventure ;)
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

theobcman

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:18 pm

My friend just returned from ADD (To LHR) and said the airport is ok. You wouldn't be there for long anyway as a transit pax. Plus ET onboard service is good. If you're Star A loyal, get to fly A350, B788 and transit thru ADD what's not to like ?!? If I couldn't afford BA then ET for me !

debonair

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
As EuroWings is part of Lufthansa technically they're still a Star Alliance member, but I don't know if they participate in any frequent flyer program or anything.

Eurowings has nothing to do with *A - but it is true, you can collect "Miles&More" , as well as few others like UA, NH etc.!

longhauler

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Last year I flew YYZ-ADD-JNB-ADD-YYZ on ET as the connection timing was the best I could find. I would imagine LHR-ADD-CPT-ADD-LHR would be similar.

I didn't find them to be all that bad, and while ADD was an adventure, it was certainly workable. I didn't have to clear customs/immigration during either stop (it was about 2 1/2 hours) and a passport check was only done one way. You remained in a secure area and in bond during the connection.

On board service was as good as any with really friendly staff.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

BartSimpson

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:45 am

I concur with the Longhauler. ADD is certainly not T5 in Heathrow (which I always enjoy when I go through) but it is not as bad as you might imagine. They are in the process of renovatiing the place but I don't know how far they have advanced. It's almost exactly one year ago since I was there.

BTW, my return leg was a day flight CPT - GBE (Gabarone) - ADD on a B737. Where do you get that if not with ET?

JonathanRP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 am

You guys are amazing!

ET via ADD sounds more acceptable now, I guess my last question is whether a 50 minute layover is enough time transit through ADD? Seems a little tight, even at a good airport like Changi!

Andypp

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 am

JonathanRP wrote:
You guys are amazing!

ET via ADD sounds more acceptable now, I guess my last question is whether a 50 minute layover is enough time transit through ADD? Seems a little tight, even at a good airport like Changi!

You should be fine. I transitted MAD-ADD-JNB last year. The inbound flight was delayed, leaving 15mins to connect. I was met off the plane and bypassed security. I was however only travelling with hand-luggage. But what's the worst that can happen? Your bags get delayed 24hrs, and you get them couriered to you next day. Or you miss your connection and get a night in Addis... which will be a real adventure.

To add to answers to your previous question, ADD is not a "terrible" airport, it is just very African: Ramshackle, chaotic and confusing (albeit in a nice, modern structure). It will be an adventure, but will require patience. Besides... most of their passengers are transit passengers.

Good luck and enjoy. Check out a great live music and craft beer bar in Cape Town called House of the Machines, as well as a brilliant cocktail bar called Orphanage. The latter is on Bree Street, the former just off it.
I am on Flight Diary: http://flightdiary.net/AndyPen/

grjplanes

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Make sure if taking ET to CPT, that you choose the nonstop ADD-CPT flights...which is 6 weekly (in peak season) with 788, while there is also another 3 weekly flights with 737-800 routing ADD-JNB-CPT.

Another cheap adventurous option from Europe is TAAG via Luanda (from LIS or OPO)...get a cheapie to Portugal (or TAP for *A) and then do TAAG

JonathanRP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Andypp wrote:
JonathanRP wrote:
You guys are amazing!

You should be fine. I transitted MAD-ADD-JNB last year. The inbound flight was delayed, leaving 15mins to connect. I was met off the plane and bypassed security. I was however only travelling with hand-luggage. But what's the worst that can happen? Your bags get delayed 24hrs, and you get them couriered to you next day. Or you miss your connection and get a night in Addis... which will be a real adventure.

To add to answers to your previous question, ADD is not a "terrible" airport, it is just very African: Ramshackle, chaotic and confusing (albeit in a nice, modern structure). It will be an adventure, but will require patience. Besides... most of their passengers are transit passengers.

Good luck and enjoy. Check out a great live music and craft beer bar in Cape Town called House of the Machines, as well as a brilliant cocktail bar called Orphanage. The latter is on Bree Street, the former just off it.

Thank you so much Andypp, I really appreciate the heads up. I think I'll go for ET via ADD, sounds like a fun adventure regardless if it goes smoothly or not haha!

I'll take heed of your recommendations when I get to Cape Town for sure :)

JonathanRP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

grjplanes wrote:
Make sure if taking ET to CPT, that you choose the nonstop ADD-CPT flights...which is 6 weekly (in peak season) with 788, while there is also another 3 weekly flights with 737-800 routing ADD-JNB-CPT.

Another cheap adventurous option from Europe is TAAG via Luanda (from LIS or OPO)...get a cheapie to Portugal (or TAP for *A) and then do TAAG

I was planning to take the non-stop ADD-CPT flights anyway, because now it looks like it's definitely A350 then 787 from LHR, which sounds like a dream!

maisydaisy

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 pm

If you want to choose the cheapest variant, I think it will be LHR-DXB (Dubai)- CPT. Emirates offer really cheap flights for that direction, considering their high service and professionalism. As for me, I consider the Emirates to be one of the best airlines ever. Yes, you'll have 1 stop, but you will receive excellent service plus save some money (compared to direct flights). You can also go to Istanbul and then have Turkish Airlines to CPT, but price is pretty the same. As for direct, you can take British Airways with their Boeing 747, but you will pay twice more. I checked 9-23 of November at https://lowcost.club , and the prices are pretty the same for the whole month. Mid-end of the month is still the cheapest, however. Good luck :)

sw733

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 pm

To be honest, Addis Ababa is a nice city in a nice country, and a stopover there (for a day or two) would be quite enjoyable in my opinion.

JonathanRP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm

maisydaisy wrote:
If you want to choose the cheapest variant, I think it will be LHR-DXB (Dubai)- CPT. Emirates offer really cheap flights for that direction, considering their high service and professionalism. As for me, I consider the Emirates to be one of the best airlines ever. Yes, you'll have 1 stop, but you will receive excellent service plus save some money (compared to direct flights). You can also go to Istanbul and then have Turkish Airlines to CPT, but price is pretty the same. As for direct, you can take British Airways with their Boeing 747, but you will pay twice more. I checked 9-23 of November at https://lowcost.club , and the prices are pretty the same for the whole month. Mid-end of the month is still the cheapest, however. Good luck :)

Thanks a lot, much appreciated! I hadn't considered Emirates beforehand, as they weren't Star Alliance, but at the same time, having flown Singapore Airlines for some very long flights and being blown away with their service, it would have been quite the bitter pill if I had to fly an airline considerably worse. I may well go for Emirates as I'd get to fly the A380 again, which I fell in love with Singapore Airlines - and I get their 'World's best airline' reputation for my flights. The only downside being I wouldn't gain any Star Alliance points - which is increasingly looking like a pointless exercise for someone who travels as infrequently as I!