Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Am I the only one who HATES slanted J-class seats?

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I flew AC's J-class and really hated the slanted configuration. The forward motion while seating sideways is really uncomfortable. I then flew VS's upper class and it was worse because the slanted seats actually face the corridor (compared to AC's which face toward the windows) and leaves you with less privacy. I understand that the slanted configuration allows airlines to fit in more space, but I now refuse to fly an airline with a slanted J-class. Give me layovers, longer route, and what not, but I absolutely hate the feeling of going forward while on my side, not to mention you feel squeezed in like in a coffin. I know, I know, #FirstWorldProblems, but I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way. Btw, I also hate the 1-2-1 configuration, if you're traveling with a significant other, you basically have no choice but to sit in the middle which sucks b/c I like to sit next to a window while flying. I really commend LX for at least offering some double seats next to the window (to appease couples) and some single seats next to the window (to appease single travelers).

aklrno

Re: Am I the only one who HATES slanted J-class seats?

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:50 pm

How do you manage to feel forward motion when you and the seat are moving at the same speed? The rest of us just feel the change in speed at takeoff and landing. In mid flight the speed changes are so gradual I can't feel them at all.

I often fly long haul business class alone. I value the privacy of the angled seats. I am at an age when I use the lav more often than a younger person. Aisle access is critical, and I don't like climbing over strangers or having them climb over me.

As for being squeezed in, I suppose if you are big enough that can be a problem, but is it a problem while sitting up or just when laying down? When I'm laying down I'm asleep, no problem. Sitting up its not much smaller than a normal business class seat assuming you are not encroaching on your neighbor.

The strongest argument against angled seats is the difficulty talking to your companion. Even then I prefer to be separated for the few minutes out of my life when I am alone since except for meal time I want to be asleep.

aeromoe

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 am

aklrno wrote:
The rest of us

Just a nit here but you've actually polled EVERYBODY ELSE in the world who has ever flown in a slanted J-class seat and they've confirmed your assertion that they don't feel this sensation?

glbltrvlr

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:11 am

I have to agree that slanted seats are nicer than recliners, but only just. I also find myself sliding down in them over time which makes sleeping hard as every hour or so I end up pushing myself back up. Probably why slant seats have been replaced by 180s.

coolian2

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:48 am

aeromoe wrote:
aklrno wrote:
The rest of us

Just a nit here but you've actually polled EVERYBODY ELSE in the world who has ever flown in a slanted J-class seat and they've confirmed your assertion that they don't feel this sensation?

I hate it when I get up to go to the bathroom in flight and find myself plastered to the rear bulkhead because somehow I'm moving independently of the plane I'm in.

aeromoe

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:20 am

glbltrvlr wrote:
I have to agree that slanted seats are nicer than recliners, but only just. I also find myself sliding down in them over time which makes sleeping hard as every hour or so I end up pushing myself back up. Probably why slant seats have been replaced by 180s.

Just a question here: Is it possible the Original Poster is defining "slant" as the Herringbone configuration where seats are angled inwards or outwards relative to the aircraft wall versus straight ahead? Slant in the context you're referring to might be synonymous with recline? Not sure here.

hoons90

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 am

I've used those 'slanted' reverse herringbone on CX multiple times and never had the sensation that you describe. The seat isnt't the most comfortable due to the creases in bed mode, but I still love those seats because of the direct aisle access and privacy. I'm flying on CX J again in several weeks and really look forward to it.

glbltrvlr

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 am

aeromoe wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:
Just a question here: Is it possible the Original Poster is defining "slant" as the Herringbone configuration where seats are angled inwards or outwards relative to the aircraft wall versus straight ahead? Slant in the context you're referring to might be synonymous with recline? Not sure here.

Good point - herringbone is not a problem for me at all. I just have an issue with lay flat seating that isn't 180 to the floor. Unless you are trying to look out a window, it's hard to see what the OPs issue is - especially if it's about direct aisle access.

aklrno

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:55 am

aeromoe wrote:
aklrno wrote:
The rest of us

Is this alternative physics? Once you, the aircraft, and the air in it have ceased accelerating or decelerating there are no forces left. F=MA. When A is zero, F is zero. Gravity is a force that does not go to zero, but that tends to be straight down, assuming the pilot is making coordinated turns. Are there still any planes left that cruise with the floor at an incline? That used to be true on some airliners, but is it any more? Turbulence is a different issue, since there are random forces acting on the aircraft that you can most definitely feel, but that has nothing to do with the direction in which your seat is pointing. I've never thought much about the force vectors of turbulence but maybe they would feel different while seated in different directions, but since they tend to be kind of random it probably does't make much difference.

The person who mentioned that they feel they are pressed against the rear bulkhead when in the lav, try to stay seated during takeoff and landing. Or cut back on the cocktails.

Just for fun, hold a pen or similar small object in the air over the aisle while in cruise. Let go of it. Let me know if it flies toward the back of the plane. Or contemplate your drink on a level tray. Does it tend to spill over one side of the cup?

aeromoe

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:58 pm

aklrno wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
aklrno wrote:
The rest of us

Are there still any planes left that cruise with the floor at an incline? That used to be true on some airliners, but is it any more?

Seems to me the A330/340 series I've flown on in the past few months fly in a slight pitch up attitude. I like to sit in the rear of the plane with the sloped floor e.g. last twelve windows or so. That rear portion of the jet is seemingly level while everything forward of that is in the slight pitch up.

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 am

aeromoe wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:

Yes, correct, I mean herringbone configuration. I do not mean non-fully reclining.

Max Q

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 am

Never flown as passenger in that slanted configuration but I know that would bother me a lot too.

I want to be aligned with the direction of travel, facing forward or aft is okay, but not 'crossways' !

RL777

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

hoons90 wrote:
I've used those 'slanted' reverse herringbone on CX multiple times and never had the sensation that you describe. The seat isnt't the most comfortable due to the creases in bed mode, but I still love those seats because of the direct aisle access and privacy. I'm flying on CX J again in several weeks and really look forward to it.

Thankfully those reverse herringbone seats were just a quick "bump in the road", the cirrus product is one if not the best J seat around these days. I don't believe there are any reverse herringbone seats left in the fleet now that the last A343 has been withdrawn from service.

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I've never traveled with another adult and felt the need to be near them. J cabins are small enough these days where there won't be a massive space from where you are sitting. I'd rather sit in private and be in my own world.

spacecadet

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 am

b777a340fan wrote:
Btw, I also hate the 1-2-1 configuration, if you're traveling with a significant other, you basically have no choice but to sit in the middle which sucks b/c I like to sit next to a window while flying. I really commend LX for at least offering some double seats next to the window (to appease couples) and some single seats next to the window (to appease single travelers).

I generally don't mind 1-2-1 but I do agree about this. My wife and I had to take the middle when flying together on ANA business class, and even then it was difficult to carry on any kind of a conversation because the partition came too far forward.

I haven't seen LX's layout but I would think there has to be a way to have an alternating 1-2-1, 2-1-1 and 1-1-2 configuration or something like that.

zrs70

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 pm

My problem with herringbone is that it feels tight (even if it isn't). From appearance, it looks like everything is "slotted" into its spot.

jetwet1

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 pm

aklrno wrote:
The person who mentioned that they feel they are pressed against the rear bulkhead when in the lav, try to stay seated during takeoff and landing. Or cut back on the cocktails.

He is actually making the same point you are, just in a far more sarcastic, less scientific way.

spacecadet wrote:

I haven't seen LX's layout but I would think there has to be a way to have an alternating 1-2-1, 2-1-1 and 1-1-2 configuration or something like that.

You would lose to many seats, the 2-2-1 1-2-2 works for most people, the bigger issues with the Swiss J seat is the lack of foot room if you are tall shoulder space with the seat in bed mode.

To the OP.

I sort of understand where you are coming from, at least on take off, the mind doesn't like suddenly traveling at 45 degrees, but honestly, after a couple of times it's something you can get used to.

longhauler

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:10 am

b777a340fan wrote:
The forward motion while seating sideways is really uncomfortable.

The only time one would actually feel the motion is during acceleration or deceleration. So ... 60 seconds during take-off and 30 seconds during landing. Other than that, with one's eyes closed, your body can't feel the angle at which it is travelling.

I am glad though that AC changed the orientation of the J seats to face the window. As you note with VS, when the seats face the aisle, privacy was an issue, notwithstanding a sore neck from trying to look out the window behind you.

It may be a "first world problem" but as J is a substantial revenue earner for airlines, it is something that is seriously considered. Every configuration has its merits. The LX configuration you mention was similar to what was on some AC Triples, and there were complaints. The most common one was that aisle access without disturbing someone else was a problem with the pair of seats beside the window. Apparently, this was a big issue, especially if you did not know the person beside you.

Privacy was another issue, and why the new configuration is angled away from the aisle ... and was another complaint with the LX version J seats on the Triple.

As one can imagine, you can't please everyone and I see no problem with picking an airline with the J seat configuration as one of your parameters. Myself ... I found BA's J cabin and seats to be very very claustrophobic. Lots of people don't. I found SQ's J cabin with its "cubicles and benches" to be as enchanting as an office full of cubicles ... and about the same colour!

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:51 am

I don't get the argument that being sat together for adults is important. I don't talk to anyone except crew inflight whether I am sat next to family /friends or a stranger unless I need a piss and have to excuse myself. I am away with my friend now and we always deselect being sat together so we both get windows.

I always feel more exposed in non herringbone because I have flown more often in herringbone than not. I do prefer the reverse herringbone like CX though.