Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Autobrakes3
Topic Author

Why are you an Airbus or Boeing fan ?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 am

When i go through various topics there is often an amount of people who prefer one manufacturer over the other ( I just ask about Airbus versus Boeing aircraft ). How comes ? What makes you a fan of one of these ? Is it the design/looking of the aircraft ? Is it the design of the cabin ? Is it the region where it is build ? Is it that you had special moments on board of one of these ? Is it something else ? I am interested to know .

scotron11

Re: Why are you an Airbus or Boeing fan ?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 am

Not a preference per se, I just like trying different aircraft. One trip to Asia flew on 747SP.....747....A300...L1011....Cannot do that anymore....Now its .A or B....I still love the 747..took the tour up at Everett..even the 777....then again I love also the DC10/MD11...at one point my favorite aircraft. And the L1011....Sadly no more.

Autobrakes3
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 am

So many emotional posts where users are saying they are a A or B fan ( thinking of the numerous 757/380/787/767/330/340 posts for example ) . Why do you prefer one aircraft over another ?

Lofty

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:56 am

To be honest for me I think Boeing has always had a high and mighty attitude, I will get shot down for this but the USA tends to project that image in all they do. Along came Airbus in its understated attitude and is giving Boeing a run for its money.

For me personally and I think if people were honest with themselves national pride comes into the equation.

conaly

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm an aviation fan, from this point of view I love most aircraft manufacturers.

From passenger point of view it depends, sometimes I prefer Airbus, sometimes Boeing, sometimes ATR, Bombardier or Embraer...

jeffh747

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:17 pm

This one always comes up once in a while, but nonetheless, welcome to the forums!
I used to be heavily Boeing because I like how sleek their planes look. The 787 is a work of art. But Airbus has grown on me somewhat because their fly-by-wire systems bring another dimension when it comes to commercial aviation. I read that during the miracle on the Hudson, Sully was pitching back a little too hard on the stick, and the airplane corrected him by lowering the nose ever so slightly to help create that softer landing. I like the sleekness of Boeing aircraft, but love the intelligence of the A320 and other Airbus planes. Plus the A340 is sleek, and has never suffered a fatality with it's impeccable safety record.

For regionals, I like Embraer far more than Bombardier. They're so much roomier and comfortable compared to Bombardier's CRJ series, especially the E145 with the 1-2 seating.

seahawk

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I am a Lockheed fan first, because most childhood memories are connected to TriStars. Then I am a Douglas fan because other memories of my childhood mostly belong to DC-10s/MD-11s or MD-8Xs. Some belong to Boeing planes, but none to Airbuses, as of pure chance we never flew on one. And even the first holiday with my (then future) wife we flew on MD-8X. Airbuses became more frequent and more regular when the fun of flying started to sink. When the meals went away, the seats became smaller and finally when even the drinks went away on short haul, all those flights were Airbus. The worst longhaul flight was on an Airbus. So I prefer Boeing due to more positive memories connected to flying with a Boeing, although honestly it was more a problem of different airlines than different planes.

Osiris

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Personally I like and dislike aircraft from both manufacturers.

My most liked Boeing is the 777-300ER and my most liked Airbus is the A340-600. I'm not overly fond of the 767 range or the A380... not really sure why. Probably purely down to aesthetic reasons.

Unfortunately, most preferences like these are caught up in idiotic nationalistic reasons, which is a shame.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Airbus fan here, because they are generally more progressive. Boeing is way too conservative for my liking.

When it comes to particular aircraft, my preferences as a pilot and passenger vary depending on the type. I prefer the A320 over the 737 for being more modern (*more modern features), but the 787 over the A330 for the same reason. Not really a fan of the grandfathering method of upgrading aircraft, since it typically leaves out a lot of more modern functions in the name of a cheaper certification.

AirbusA343

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:43 pm

I prefer Airbus because in my opinion their aircraft look better and I'm quite fed up of being bombarded by 737s everywhere I go.

Lemieux

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Airbus all the way, grew up with my dad working at US at PIT, and I've never looked back. The 330 is still by far my favorite aircraft to date.

KentB27

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 am

I like things about both Airbus and Boeing but overall I'm more of a Boeing fan. I disagree with Airbus's cockpit philosophy and that's the biggest reason why I prefer Boeing.

If I'm being entirely honest though I like Embraer better than both Airbus or Boeing. The E jet is in my opinion the best commercial aircraft to fly as a passenger on.

For a lot of people it has to do with national pride. People like to support products that are made in their own country.

VapourTrails

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 am

conaly wrote:
I'm an aviation fan, from this point of view I love most aircraft manufacturers.

From passenger point of view it depends, sometimes I prefer Airbus, sometimes Boeing, sometimes ATR, Bombardier or Embraer...

I prefer the Boeing philosophy but I like the innovation and the design of the Airbus. The A330 looks like a graceful swan. :airplane:

Other than these types: when I flew on the Embraer the cabin was awesome. I think in part it was there was no expectation there.

No national pride (to be) taken into account in my case. :silly:

benbeny

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't like AB, because of their control laws (not that I'm saying they're less safe, just different). Besides, I like 707-727-737 nose section.

Fiend

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Airbus.... because they are innovators

First twin engine wide body... fly by wire on a commercial aircraft.... etc

VSMUT

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 pm

KentB27 wrote:
If I'm being entirely honest though I like Embraer better than both Airbus or Boeing. The E jet is in my opinion the best commercial aircraft to fly as a passenger on.

I know almost nothing about the plane and it's systems, but as a passenger I absolutely agree! Especially the E170, that's an awesome little jet to fly on! The only negative point I have regarding E-jets is that they typically park at the remote stands, making short connections a bit interesting...

E170, little taildragger :smile:

aerorobnz

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 pm

I don't have a preference for business. I visually like individual types over others but there is no favouritism for looks there except 9ucglas/MDD. I want more manfacturers again so I support Embraer/Canadair/Sukhoi.

ER757

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm just a fan of flying machines, period. The bigger the better for my tastes. But I must say the flight I took recently on an E-175 made me an instant fan of that type.
For those that are fanboys (or girls) of one OEM, a lot of it is national or regional pride or just plain identity with where the manufacturer is from.
In my case, living in the Seattle area, I know a number of people who work at Boeing so if I was forced to declare allegiance to one company over the other I'd go with B just because I get to see their assembly plants and new planes so often and I know my friends can afford to buy me a beer as long as they have a job there :lol: