jfklganyc
Topic Author

EWR easier to Manhattan fact or tale?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

After a raging debate for years on a.net, on this Monday afternoon at 220pm I find myself waiting for the next NJ Transit train to Manhattan from EWR. Expected arrival is 247pm...almost 30 minutes between trains.

How could anyone on in this forum ever claim this is faster, better, cheaper or more frequent than the train from JFK?

It's not even a close contest.

keitherson

Re: EWR easier to Manhattan fact or tale?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

It's not. And the Airtrain at EWR breaks down very often: it's really pathetic.

And from JFK, you also have multiple public transportation options, whereas EWR, you basically only have one if you want to get to Manhattan.

BuildingMyBento

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I've done public bus from EWR to Newark Penn, the PATH (switching at Journal Square). The bus is easy; PATH's a bit more of a nuisance.

Still, the train's not the only public option.

usflyer msp

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm

depends on where. Lower Manhattan - debatable to yes. Washington heights - absolutely not.

nadavatar64

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

By taxi its about the same time, depends on traffic. But if you are talking about public transportation, JFK is more comfortable by far.

ty97

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 pm

This is one of those questions that will never have universal agreement (and that's fine!) due to personal opinion, where one is traveling to/from in Manhattan, how one is traveling to/from Manhattan, etc.

I personally fall into the OP's bucket. I live in Hell's Kitchen and use mass transit for the airports. I heavily avoid EWR. If you time it right, it's probably no longer to take transit to EWR than it is to LGA, but it requires three trains (I'm not close to Penn so have to take the subway) and the timings of the NJ transit trains, as OP notes, leave a large gap. There's something like 4 trainsfrom NY Penn to Newark Airtrain station within around a 30 minute period and nothing in the other 30 minutes, and I always just miss the last train before the gap :) Plus the Newark AirTrain is slow and undependable.

So for those reasons I don't prefer to go to EWR. But others will have different experiences/opinions.

dmstorm22

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm

By train, I agree EWR is quite cumbersome. Of course, depending on where in Manhattan it still may be quicker than taking the Airtrain to Subway at JFK.

By car, it completely depends on where in Manhattan you are.

BlatantEcho

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I tried it last month (Alaska started pdx-ewr, so gave it a go).....

It was he worst airport to city experience I've had in North America.

Never ever using EWR for any reason to manhattan.
Dreadful as everyone else clearly understands.
They're not handing trophies out today

33lspotter

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

This is very much a question of opinion, and is largely dependent on where you're heading in Manhattan.

Haven't been to LGA in 10+ years, but I have flown into both JFK and EWR multiple times in the last two years, going to Lower Manhattan and taking the train to Penn each time. While JFK has many more public transit options, I still prefer the train from EWR than the one from JFK. IIRC EWR doesn't charge for the trip to the train station unlike JFK, and it's about the same amount of time from the NJT station to Penn as it is from Jamaica to Penn (25 mins).

Edits: Part of my preference is probably due to the fact that I prefer EWR to JFK – of the two terminals I usually fly into, I prefer Newark's Terminal B to JFK's T4, which is way too big for my tastes – although not by much.
Last edited by 33lspotter on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.speedbirdspotter.com

brooklynchris13

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm

I think it is even more complex than those have already mentioned. It really depends on:
1) What Borough or neighborhood you are in
2) What is the time of day
3) what is your method of transportation to/from the airport.
4) how much do you want to $$$

Case in point: Staten Island or BayRide to EWR can be incredibly easy, but expensive. Especially with the bridge tolls. Upper Bronx to JFK will always be faster unless there is some craziness on the bridges. New York City's transportation system is just way too complex to be able to have any stark rules about anything. You have to adapt to the situation at hand and get things done. Those that try to find one simple rule (or try to tell others there is one) are doomed to a spiraling helix of frustration. (Sort of like telling people that the 757 line is not being reopened or that no AA MD80s will be painted into the new livery). That need to be aware and adapt was my favorite thing about living in NYC and probably NYCs greatest lesson to anyone who lives or visits there.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

ty97

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm

33lspotter wrote:
IIRC EWR doesn't charge for the trip to the train station unlike JFK

They do, it's just bundled into your NJ Transit ticket as opposed to being a separate fee. $5.50 fee.
https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-cost-tickets.html

airzim

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
I tried it last month (Alaska started pdx-ewr, so gave it a go).....

It was he worst airport to city experience I've had in North America.

Never ever using EWR for any reason to manhattan.
Dreadful as everyone else clearly understands.

I shouldn't even bother but,

As someone who lives in Manhattan I would strenuously disagree. I live in Lower Manhattan and I can be at EWR in 20 minutes in the morning, and 25 min in the evening. This is via cab/Uber. LGA is generally 20 minutes, but with the construction on the BQE Bridge and the disaster with the road approaches at LGA, it is really variable. I've literally sat Grand Central Parkway at 6am in dead stop traffic not moving for 20 minutes. Leaving LGA is even worse given the disastrous taxi situation and the inability for Uber's to idle anywhere close.

JFK is close to 35/40 minutes with no traffic. However, the afternoon/morning traffic to JFK is terrible with no great alternatives the entire way to JFK. Way over an hour.

I generally find the train/AirTrain situation at both JFK and EWR to be equally miserable. JFK is better, but traversing the NY Subway system with luggage isn't really ideal. Plus once you get to Manhattan, you either have to connect to the subway from the LIRR or go local on a subway. Messy for both choice.

An alternative from EWR to lower Manhattan is to take a train to the Newark Penn and connect to the PATH. Or you can take a cab from the Airport to Newark Penn (which is pretty cheap) if the train isn't running and connect to trains into Penn or PATH.

33lspotter

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

ty97 wrote:
33lspotter wrote:

They do, it's just bundled into your NJ Transit ticket as opposed to being a separate fee. $5.50 fee.

Ah. Even so, from a convenience perspective, I would prefer to buy one ticket as you can in Newark as opposed to buying two separate tickets.
www.speedbirdspotter.com

ty97

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

33lspotter wrote:
ty97 wrote:
33lspotter wrote:

Ah. Even so, from a convenience perspective, I would prefer to buy one ticket as you can in Newark as opposed to buying two separate tickets.

That makes sense. I have a Metrocard that auto-refills so I don't have to buy anything to swipe in/out at JFK Airtrain and if I take the subway rather than LIRR (usually an on-the-spot decision) I don't need to buy anything. But I can see how NJ Transit's single ticket is simpler for those that do need to.

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 pm

I took it just the other day both ways and was very pleased with the speed and service. Little pricey but it was fine.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

keitherson

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm

No one in the thread has even taken into account the state of EWR's airport facilities, either, which is disastrous! Why on Earth should I fly from EWR, when I can fly from JFK with access to the flagship Delta Sky Club, the AA Flagship Lounge, or a host of other international carriers and their lounges as a frequent flyer elite?

There is a reason why airlines are not in line to move to EWR and that JFK airport slots are the most coveted. There is a reason why all premium transcontinental service with AA, DL, and B6 is from JFK and not EWR, outside of UA's own hub. Even CX flies JFK-YVR.

dmstorm22

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

keitherson wrote:
No one in the thread has even taken into account the state of EWR's airport facilities, either, which is disastrous! Why on Earth should I fly from EWR, when I can fly from JFK with access to the flagship Delta Sky Club, the AA Flagship Lounge, or a host of other international carriers and their lounges as a frequent flyer elite?

There is a reason why airlines are not in line to move to EWR and that JFK airport slots are the most coveted. There is a reason why all premium transcontinental service with AA, DL, and B6 is from JFK and not EWR, outside of UA's own hub. Even CX flies JFK-YVR.

... because that has no impact on which one is easier to reach from Manhattan?

irelayer

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Not a universal experience by far, but I've **never** had trouble getting to Midtown from EWR and have actually found it to be a rather smooth experience ignoring the crumbling infrastructure. Perhaps I've been lucky but 1) AirTrain has never broken down 2) Manhattan bound NJT trains have always been on time and 3) I've never had anywhere specific to be other than Midtown. From Midtown I can get (either walk, subway, or taxi) to about 90% of the places I'd want to go in Manhattan in about 15 minutes.

I did this about 5 times (in different seasons, different times of day, etc) last year and never had a problem.

I'm sure others have different experiences, but for me it's about 35-40 minutes from Penn to security at EWR, reliably.

From JFK, I've only ever taken the Subway from Howard Beach and this takes about an hour, and is rather more uncomfortable than the NJT trains with potentially multiple transfers.

-IR

LINYUSA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 pm

From Midtown, go to Penn Station, take any train to Jamaica, go to end of the platform, and go upstairs to the Air Train. If you time it right, maybe 35 -40 minutes. Or from Grand Central, take the 7 line to Woodside, then hop on any train to Jamaica, and proceed as above.

Curiousflyer

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Both suck. Public transportation or private drive. If you are lucky it will be somewhat smooth but usually it will not be great and it would take billions and a lot of NIMBY fights to implement direct train lines.

Better places: Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Hong Kong. And of course Singapore if one drives.

jfkgig

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 pm

There is no single correct answer, and it depends upon precisely where you are in Manhattan, the time of day, and any construction going on (i.e., went to JFK from Manhattan on Sunday, when there should have been no traffic, but was badly stymied by the fact that the Manhattan-Midtown Tunnel has only one tube open, and a single lane in either direction). For any trip, anywhere from Manhattan, the cross-town portion can easily be the worst part of it, and the same is always true to get to the airport. If you are on the West Side, particularly below 42nd Street, EWR can certainly be an easier trip than to JFK. If you are on the East Side, JFK is almost certainly a quicker trip, especially if you are above 14th Street.

It is a sad fact though, that New York is probably the largest and wealthiest city in the world, without a proper link to any airport. Not a single route, by any means of conveyance, is up to world standards. Whether you fly from JFK or EWR, you can almost always count on an unpleasant experience which takes much longer than it should. This should be a source of shame, but the New York and New York City governments have never cared too much about that fact, and most of the plans to change this are designed to benefit political cronies much more than passengers (i.e., Andrew Cuomo's plans for a rail link to LGA . . . via Flushing!).

tphuang

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 am

Of course it depends on which part of manhattan you live in.

First for but car or cab: During time when there are no traffic, it's probably 30 minutes from mid to lower manhattan to both JFK and EWR. For when there is traffic in middle of the day to evening.
It's about an hour or under from anywhere on East side to JFK even during rush hours as long as you have a good cab driver. Trying to get to EWR is a nightmare. I've had many experiences stuck for 30 minutes to an hour outside of holland tunnel trying to get over to new jersey. And that doesn't even factor in the traffic before you get to the tunnel. JFK wins most of the time.

For public transportation, JFK wins during all off peak hours. If you get in from west coast at close to midnight, just wait and see how often the nj transit comes. The air train is definitely still running. Yes, if you are close to penn station during work hours, getting to EWR might be a little faster. But that's debatable since you can take LIRR to jamaica station pretty quickly. Even getting to penn station is a chore for many people. To get to jfk, you just need to get on a E train. There are far more stops for that.

And as for air train advices, don't take it from howard beach unless you are in brooklyn or not close to a E train. If you are in the midtown, take E train. If you are close to penn station, take LIRR.

Socrates17

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Outdated infrastructure is a huge problem for EWR. NJ Transit shares a whopping 2 tunnels under the Hudson with Amtrak. I think the signals are probably pre-Revolutionary war, given how frequently they break down. I live in northern NJ and watch NJ12 traffic and weather daily. With the traffic they also report on NJ Transit and the PATH trains. One or both tunnels' signaling breaks down all the damn time, A third tunnel is desperately needed but nobody wants to pay for one. This shuts down most of NJ Transit except for the trains that go to Hoboken (ex-Erie-Lackawanna, aka the "Weary Erie"). Even getting to Hoboken to connect to PATH is a problem because you have to connect in Newark or Secaucus and the train from EWR to your connecting point may well not be running because it can't get into Manhattan.

I drive to the airports fairly frequently to pick up family members and I dread driving to JFK. The Van Wyck is a parking lot basically 24/7. Driving even from Manhattan to EWR should be better except at the evening rush hour because of the backup at both Holland and Lincoln Tunnels. At other times of the day, I've found no problems getting into the tunnels, especially since I know the entrances that are least likely to be backed up.
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

BuildingMyBento

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 am

Curiousflyer wrote:
Both suck. Public transportation or private drive. If you are lucky it will be somewhat smooth but usually it will not be great and it would take billions and a lot of NIMBY fights to implement direct train lines.

Better places: Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Hong Kong. And of course Singapore if one drives.

SIN's public transport is kinda rubbish, if only because there are NO 24-hour options. (As an aside, I never had issues with unscrupulous taxi drivers.)