k1tn0
Topic Author

How does HahnAir work?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 am

I know that Hahn Air airlines works as a consolidator for many airlines who do not own an IATA number. Which basically means that airlines who do not have an IATA can issue their tickets on Hahn Air's stock, but, how can you be an airline and now own an IATA number?

debonair

Re: How does HahnAir work?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am

Sorry, I don't understand your question...

Hahn Air is not only a consolidator, but also an airline with a scheduled services - you can find a TR here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1357791

...and their timetable here:

https://www.hahnair.com/en/hahn-air-lin ... ed-flights

k1tn0
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

Ok, so each country/market has its BSP. But depending the market, a travel agent cannot issue tickets for all airlines. For example, a country like Greece cannot issue a ticket in the greek BSP for an airline like China Easter airlines, and needs HahnAir to intervene and allow to issue under its stock. Why is that? What does HahnAir do that's so special? And what does China Eastern airlines need to do for it to be able to issue tickets in the Greek market? And why doesn't it do it? Hope I'm more clear now, cause I'm really curious.

rubiohiguey

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 pm

k1tn0
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you for the link! I would like to understand how the aviation industry works (having an IATA number, BSP, interline agreements, etc), so do you know any links I could find such material?

NichCage

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm

The demand between Dusseldorf and Luxembourg must be pretty small then, because not even Luxair is on the route.

Pe@rson

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:00 am

NichCage wrote:
The demand between Dusseldorf and Luxembourg must be pretty small then, because not even Luxair is on the route.

It would be, but Luxair also codeshares on the route.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MHG

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Don´t forget that the DUS-LUX route does not have to make money ...
It´s sole purpose is for Hahn Air to have a scheduled route so they do not loose their status as an airline.
Their business model is focused solely on providing its consolidating ability to airlines without that ability.
So, any revenue generated on the DUS-LUX-DUS flights just reduces the expenses they´ll have to shoulder anyway.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

SCQ83

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 pm

MHG wrote:
It´s sole purpose is for Hahn Air to have a scheduled route so they do not loose their status as an airline.
Their business model is focused solely on providing its consolidating ability to airlines without that ability.
So, any revenue generated on the DUS-LUX-DUS flights just reduces the expenses they´ll have to shoulder anyway.

My understading is that this flight also makes connections to the ME3 and the likes.

MHG

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:05 am

SCQ83 wrote:
MHG wrote:

My understading is that this flight also makes connections to the ME3 and the likes.

This may be the case but overall passenger numbers will certainly not go over the top because of such an offering.
As I said every single fare paying passenger on that route just reduces the losses incurred by Hahn Air´s business model requiring to actually operate as an airline.

If the route serves as a "feeder" (what an exaggeration in that context) the ME3 would certainly offer this to premium fare paying passengers only.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

WPvsMW

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 pm

k1tn0 wrote:
.. how can you be an airline and now own an IATA number?

Easy... you obtain an AOC and your ICAO code, and be an airline. IATA is (essentially) a lobbying organization that began life after the Chicago Convention as a fare-setting association. If you plan to sell tickets through travel agents, then IATA facilitates BSPs. Many small airlines are not IATA members.
http://www.iata.org/services/finance/bs ... works.aspx