MainRunway
Topic Author

Any ROA folks??

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 am

Is there a hotel near the airport where some rooms view the runway?

Thanks

gdg9

Re: Any ROA folks??

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 am

You'd be waiting a fair bit of time between RJs and maybe one DL A319 (if they still run mainline?) at ROA...
@dfwtower

RWA380

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:39 am

This has just become our back-up inlaws airport, with LYH being first. I've not flown into ROA yet, but LYH seems like AA only with a mix of Dash-8's & CR2, CR7 from CLT. How does that differ from ROA? And is it worth flying to ROA when your family is near LYH?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

jman40

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 pm

I can't speak to the hotel question, but not a lot of traffic at ROA for spotting..

ROA is a solid little airport. Quick to get in and out of, with decent amenities. AA (Eagle) has lots of dailies to CLT on Dash 8s and CRJs. Also a couple to LGA on ERJs and a couple to PHL, too. DL has a bunch of RJs to ATL, with a couple daily 717s. Not sure where else DL goes. UA has a couple dailies to IAD, a few to EWR, and I believe to ORD, too. Not sure the types on UA.

Solid little regional airport.

JM

ODwyerPW

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I used to fly into ROA from UpstateNY years ago to visit family in SWVA in the years following the new terminal installation at ROA. I remember decent food available and stayed in a nearby hotel on a missed flight once, but don't recall runway views (I just don't remember). I don't think they have a Gate #1 any longer.. I think TSA inhabits that area. So it's Gates 2-6, with a 5A stuck in there. I found the gate numbering funny the last time I was there...

Now coming from Sonora Mex / Arizona USA, I prefer to fly into TRI (Tri-Cities Bristol VA/TN , JohnsonCity TN, Kingsport TN) to visit family. Has to be the most hassle free Car Rental and Return I've every experienced. Beautiful to land there in the Fall.

Oddly enough, flights to TRI are significantly cheaper than flights into ROA.

Don't know what your final destination is in SouthWest VA, but I thought I'd mention an airport alternative.
learning never stops.

UALFAson

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 pm

You might be able to see the runways from an upper-floor room on the backside of one of the hotels at Valley View Mall, particularly the Mainstay Suites Airport or Comfort Inn Airport.

As others have mentioned, there won't be a lot of commercial aircraft movement during the day. The mainline DL 717 usually lands later in the evening and takes off early in the morning.

To RWA380's question (I HATE the quote function on here), the main benefit to flying in/out of ROA is much more airline selection and more of a variety of connecting hubs, which, in theory, means more competition, lower fares, and better flight connection options versus LYH. Whether that's worth the extra hour of driving is a personal decision and depends partly on where exactly in SWVA you're going (e.g., my extended family lives 10 mins from ROA, so I would be willing to pay more to fly into there on the convenience factor).
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

aeromoe

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 am

"This has just become our back-up inlaws airport"

Sorry - I can't resist. Backup inlaws? In case the original inlaws go tech and cancel?

All in good fun.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K