lollyj
Topic Author

LHR Terminal 5 to 4 Connection info/advice

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I've booked some flights with BA and MH to see my family in Penang in August. I'm flying with BA from EDI-LHR and then MH from LHR-KUL-PEN. I'm on BA 1435 arriving into LHR at 08:35 to catch the connecting MH 003 flight at 10:25 from Terminal 4. I technically have a 1 hr 50 min connection in LHR. This is all booked on one ticket.

Basically I have a few queries as I've never connected to a non-BA airline at Heathrow before:

1. Is there an airside connection between terminal 5 and 4? All the info online seems to suggest I need to get a bus between the two and it sounds like I need to leave the terminal and then travel between them and go back through security in terminal 4 so I just want to confirm this.

2. If I do need to leave the secure area and do a landside connection, is 1 hour 50 minutes sufficient time to do this?

3. Has anyone done a connection like this and what did it involve?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

bombayduck

Re: LHR Terminal 5 to 4 Connection info/advice

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Far as I know there is no airside connection. There are two busses that stop at T5 and T4. They are the 482 and the 490, journey time is around ten to fifteen minutes To check the bus rotes and timetables go to http://www.londonbusroutes.net from their home page click on bus routes, then move to 401 and click on that number. Then just scroll down until you find the two mentioned above, there you will find the complete timetable.

Steve

fbgdavidson

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 pm

bombayduck wrote:
Far as I know there is no airside connection.

This is incorrect. When you land at T5 follow the purple signs for Flight Connections. You will need to clear security again but there's no reason to mess with the public bus system here. Just make sure when you check-in with BA that your bag is through checked to KUL and PEN.

Heathrow's website even has a helpful guide for changing aircraft:
http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connecti ... -2017/4/6A
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Fiend

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 pm

I'll be doing something similar in June... but we are arriving from DOH and connecting to MAN, but we've got 3 hours to make the connection from T4 to T5. and the flight connections plan says the time taken to transfer across will be 105 minutes which I assume includes passport control and security.
BAC 1-11, A310, A320, A321, A330, A340, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

aeromoe

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 am

I did a T3 to T4 connection last month and while it wasn't T5 to T4 the airside bus ride was pretty cool. And if you've got any interest in watching airliners in action and have the time, check out the "View Heathrow" indoor observation deck (no seats) at the north end of T4, upstairs. There is a lift and stairs to access this area and it is well worth a visit. Costs nothing but your effort and time. I posted a Trip Report yesterday about flying Tarom from LHR to Bucharest and the report has a few photos I took while at View Heathrow.
You can see it here: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1357981

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

B747forever

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 am

As already mentioned there is an airside bus connection, but you will have to clear security again at T4. Anyway, as you are on one ticket you will be rebooked as needed to PEN if your flight into LHR is delayed and you dont make the connection.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LTU932

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 am

AFAIK you always reclear security when connecting at LHR, even when you arrive at T5 with e.g. IB from MAD and connect on BA from T5 to LAX (and I'm not talking about the docs check for flights to the US). You just don't go through the UK border unless you have to pick up your bags when coming from abroad to re-check them for another flight on a separate ticket with no interlining.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208