wildpig1234
Topic Author

JFK-JAX ticket spike for April 8-9 weekend

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

For some reasons, this weekend price is 2x the others. I check the seat maps for 3 and there are still several seats left for the 3-5pm depart time I want. but each tix is like 350+. I got a few hours to cancel within 24 hours. Should I go ahead and cancel and wait out some more? I mean this is ridiculous that they are doing this... what is the chance that the price will go down?

masgniw

Re: JFK-JAX ticket spike for April 8-9 weekend

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 pm

It's spring break season and your travel date is getting close to that 21 day price spike cutoff. In my non-professional opinion, that fare isn't coming down.

wildpig1234
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 pm

yeah I figure. it just sucks that they still have a bunch of seats left open on the seat map but is refusing to go down on the price. lets see how many of those will eventually get filled.

RushmoreAir

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 pm

wildpig1234 wrote:
lets see how many of those will eventually get filled.

Fortunately/unfortunately for us consumers, the revenue-optimal solution is almost never load-maximizing. Any airline with a basic revenue management system purposefully keeps seats empty until the last minute, hoping that last-minute business travelers come along that are desperate enough to pay a pretty penny for the last remaining seats.

If you're curious how it works, the process described in the lecture below is quite similar to JetBlue's revenue management system today - Delta uses a more sophisticated system, but it works using the same general principles.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics ... lect18.pdf

Practically, you could play the 24 hr book & cancel game to see if fares come down, but I'm with masgniw - it's not likely to get cheaper.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ HU U2 SK AF

PanzerPowner

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Oh thank god, my Spring break is April 20 something
Says he likes Boeing and dispises Airbus but freaks out when he sees an A350, Aircraft Foaming at it's finest. :arrow: :!: