VC10er
Topic Author

UA POLARIS, 77W EWR/SFO?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm

I am strongly considering visiting my friend in SF, but only so I can fly the new United 77W in Polaris. It ain't cheap, in dollars or miles, that's for sure...but I do not see me going to Asia any time soon, so I want to try it while it's still making domestic runs. Has anyone here flown her yet upfront and if so; what was it like and do you have pics?

Thanks so much!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

LAXdude1023

Re: UA POLARIS, 77W EWR/SFO?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I flew the inaugural and I have tons of pics. Not quite sure how to upload them, but if you know how. Ill do a TR.
It is what it is...

theobcman

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm also struggling to load photos for trip reports - any help anyone to load/create a trip report ???

KLMatSJC

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I have heard that the food and service is similar to any other SFO-EWR flight. The only thing different would be the physical seat.
A318/19/20/21 A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip.

atcsundevil
Crew

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:34 am

This topic belongs in Travel, so it has been moved.

✈️ atcsundevil
Forum Moderator

VC10er
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:38 am

Congratulations, and so nice that you have pictures! If you can't find a way to upload them, then I am just curious HOW WAS THE SEAT and THE CABIN? Was the entry way branding, service hallway, bulkhead design, carpets etc? Does it look like the video fly through UA has on their Polaris site? How did E+ and E look?

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much better is the Polaris seat and aircraft than a current BF 772? It would be 100,000 miles round trip, but I am willing to spend it. The price was astronomical - I wonder if they hiked the price for the 777-300, or, it is just so full only the most expensive seats are available?

THANKS ALL, warmest, VC10er

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 am

VC10er wrote:
Congratulations, and so nice that you have pictures! If you can't find a way to upload them, then I am just curious HOW WAS THE SEAT and THE CABIN? Was the entry way branding, service hallway, bulkhead design, carpets etc? Does it look like the video fly through UA has on their Polaris site? How did E+ and E look?

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much better is the Polaris seat and aircraft than a current BF 772? It would be 100,000 miles round trip, but I am willing to spend it. The price was astronomical - I wonder if they hiked the price for the 777-300, or, it is just so full only the most expensive seats are available?

THANKS ALL, warmest, VC10er

I actually flew in economy on the inaugural, however I spent a out 15 minutes in the Polaris seat exploring it before I got off the plane to see if it lived up to expectation. As such I can only comment on the hard product not the soft product.

My honest opinion on the seat is that there were two improvements:

1) Im almost 6 feet 7 inches tall and I weigh 220 pounds. Im built like a stick. For me, this seat was an improvement over the 777 seat because I can actually lay fully flat in it. However, it did definitely seem more narrow than the 777 seat. If you big around the waist, I could see it being a tighter fit. That said, this only applies to lying down. Sitting up, all should be fine.

2) There were a lot more bells and whistles (especially in the seat controls and seat back TV) on this one compared to the 777 seat.

3) As to point 1 and along the same lines, I wear a size 13.5 shoe. My feet actually fit when the seat is fully flat. In the 777, this isnt the case. The area with the TV comes down too low and my feet are scrunched.

4) The seat does appear to offer more privacy.

5) I was hoping the wifi might be better but in some strange way, it was by far the slowest wifi Ive ever had on UA's fleet. I dont know if thats the planes fault, just an observation.

6) I did really enjoy the mood lighting. That was a nice touch.

7) I was hoping UA would have some sort of inaugural festivities and there were none. Huge disappointment there.

As to whether this seat is an improvement, in my opinion, yes. However, I would hardly call it a huge leap forward or even something groundbreaking. I think AA's 777-300 seat felt more comfortable IMO, but thats just preference.

In short, its the best business class seat UA has ever had, but definitely not the best in the industry. I wouldn't spend 100k miles on it. I would wait until they offer it for less and check it out then. It will be on EWR-SFO for a while I believe.

Also, a note for economy, 3-4-3 SUCKS!!! Im not very big around and I thought that it was a tight fit. Honestly, unless Im going business, I plan to avoid the plane.
It is what it is...

VC10er
Topic Author

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for all that!

I am keeping my expectations in check. I am expecting a nice improvement, especially the all aisle access and sitting alone by a window. I don't need to have a Singapore experience to be happy, so I am simply hoping I like it enough and that I will like the "look" and industrial design. I am 6ft and admittedly 20lbs overweight and mostly around the middle. I am just shy of 3 million miles on UA which will get me to 1k for life, so I expect to be in that seat for a long time- no matter the twin aisle, so I just want an improvement in the seat and environment.

You didn't mention the bulkheads etc, do they look nice? I think when done well (like Lufthansa) it does show a sense of pride in the brand, vs the current generic plain blue on every 2 class refit so far.

masgniw

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 pm

VC10er wrote:
I am strongly considering visiting my friend in SF, but only so I can fly the new United 77W in Polaris.

Some friend you are...

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 am

Otherwise I visit him 4x a year anyway