Noise
Topic Author

Does window seat passenger have full control of window shade use?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed the practice of keeping the window shades down during the entirety of the flight, from takeoff to landing, becoming more and more common. On my my recent flight, I was sitting in an aisle seat and both window shades in my row were down. The passengers sitting at the window seats in my row didn't lift the shades once. Now, I like the aisle seat because it gives me the opportunity to get up and stretch without annoying anyone, but I also like to stare out the window every once in a while too. My question is, as a passenger sitting in the aisle seat, do I have the right to raise/lower the window shades or is that the sole and exclusive responsibility of the passenger sitting in the window seat? Are there any "unwritten rules" when it comes to this?

Thank you

32andBelow

Re: Does window seat passenger have full control of window shade use?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes window pax gets full control of window. Aisle pax gets to pee whenever he wants.

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

You could ask nicely, but I tend to sleep on planes especially if I'm in the window seat, so I'll close it. Just like the middle seat gets both armrests the window guy gets to control the window.

dmstorm22

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes.

I guess you can try to play the majority rules angle if you get the middle seat person on your side in a 3-3, 3-3-3, 3-4-3 config, but let's be real, window seat gets full use of the window.

They also get to look out the window and have their head block 80% of it from the view of anyone else as well (I may or may not have done this all the time when I was kid and the window seat was more valuable than the ability to get up anytime I wanted).

You probably have a better case to get the window seat to lower the shade then getting them to open it.

masgniw

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Noise wrote:
Hi everyone,
Now, I like the aisle seat because it gives me the opportunity to get up and stretch without annoying anyone, but I also like to stare out the window every once in a while too.

Translation: I like both have my cake and eat it too.

You simply can't get it both ways unless you have a single seat (ie empty row, first/biz class, or a smaller RJ). But, you're always welcome to respectfully ask your aisle-mate to open the window for you, much as they might ask you to get out for a bathroom break.

IPFreely

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Aisle pax gets to pee whenever he wants.

Some pax can pee whenever they want regardless of their seat location.

airzim

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:53 pm

I have always thought it was a safety issue to have the shades closed during take off and landing. Drives me nuts not to know where we are when landing or taking off. And in case of an incident, to be able to see your surroundings. However during flight, I could care less but think common courtesy should prevail.

SQ001

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 pm

If you ask politely and nicely, the window seat passenger usually would lift the shades for you if you want to take a look at outside, unless the sun is too bright outside...
Although most window seats passengers I know were only asked to pull the shades down for their fellow passengers...

DfwRevolution

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Yes window pax gets full control of window. Aisle pax gets to pee whenever he wants.

Have you ever asked anyone in an aisle seat to let you out and they said no?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

airliner371

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Do you really not understand what he was getting at or are you just trying to be smart? The aisle seat gets the added convenience factor.
Take a little time and enjoy the view.

32andBelow

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Have you ever taken a red eye or have you ever had to go multiple times and feel like a dick?

NameOmitted

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Noise wrote:
My question is, as a passenger sitting in the aisle seat, do I have the right to raise/lower the window shades or is that the sole and exclusive responsibility of the passenger sitting in the window seat? Are there any "unwritten rules" when it comes to this?

Thank you

Sorry, personal pet peeve here but...

No. You don't have the right to control the shades. The person at the windows do not have the right to control the shades. Generally, the it is a privilege of the window-seat to control the shade, but when the flight attendant comes by and tells that person to raise the shades for landing, that shade goes up.

We throw around the word right way too freely.

/rant.

bennett123

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I tend to get a window seat.

I will keep the shades open, would would likely close it if asked.

If you tell me, that is a different matter.

As for toilets, I rarely use the ones on the plane.

downdata

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
You could ask nicely, but I tend to sleep on planes especially if I'm in the window seat, so I'll close it. Just like the middle seat gets both armrests the window guy gets to control the window.

Eh no the latter never ever happens.

Noise
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Noise wrote:
My question is, as a passenger sitting in the aisle seat, do I have the right to raise/lower the window shades or is that the sole and exclusive responsibility of the passenger sitting in the window seat? Are there any "unwritten rules" when it comes to this?

Thank you

No. You don't have the right to control the shades. The person at the windows do not have the right to control the shades. Generally, the it is a privilege of the window-seat to control the shade, but when the flight attendant comes by and tells that person to raise the shades for landing, that shade goes up.

/rant.

Funny thing was that the FA never asked them to raise the window shade, even for landing. I thought it was mandatory to have the window shade up for landing but I guess not.

Noise
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

masgniw wrote:
Noise wrote:
Hi everyone,
Now, I like the aisle seat because it gives me the opportunity to get up and stretch without annoying anyone, but I also like to stare out the window every once in a while too.

Translation: I like both have my cake and eat it too.

Hey if/when I can, I might as well try.

910A

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Fly on a 787 and the window shade issue is moot.

Aptivaboy

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly, this may have been true on my last flight!

skipness1E

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm

I hate the override on the 787. Boarded in broad daylight to a darkened and airconned cabin, taxied out with windows fully dimmed. I had to ask for them to lighten them as the crew took their
seats for departure. Very claustrophobic.

khaba

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 am

IPFreely wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Aisle pax gets to pee whenever he wants.

post/username

DaveFly

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 am

Ok, gross-alert warning.

I love the window seat. I can watch the world go by, look at the wings/engines/flaps, and most important -- lean my head for some good sleep.

I am also nearly a senior citizen, and I have to pee a lot.

You're right, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Solution: I wear Depends on most flights. If there is turbulence, I won't panic at the thought that I can't reach the lav in time. And if it's a long distance or night flight, I won't disturb my neighbor if he's sleeping.

I don't recall actually peeing in the Depends, but it gives me a lot of peace of mind.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

EGTESkyGod

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 am

Airplane Etiquette. Window gets a window and an armrest. Middle gets 2 armrests. Aisle gets an armrest and a bit of extra legroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFx1Cpxpx1E

DISCLAIMER: Do not watch if you are easily offended. Or can't tolerate bad language.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait

JFK31R

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 am

I always sit at the window; I tend lower it almost all the way as the altitude gets higher since there's usually not much to see.
I think keeping down at least partially is the courteous thing to do especially if there's in-seat IFE. I figure it's easier if I want to raise it a bit on occasion for a peek for and less of a disturbance that way too.

If you don't keep it all the down on a red-eye though :roll: , that's just rude.

PDX88

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 am

I'm a window seat guy 100%, but I don't feel like I have the ultimate authority on the window. I think about it like having the bed closest to the light switch in a hostel doesn't mean I control when the lights are on or off. If someone in my row is trying to sleep and it's bright, I'll be courteous and close the shade. Whenever I fly I try to ask the row during taxi "You care if this is open or closed?" Almost every time they say they don't care and I do my own thing, but I think the whole row gets a say.

PDX88

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:54 am

airliner371 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Do you really not understand what he was getting at or are you just trying to be smart? The aisle seat gets the added convenience factor.

I see the aisle as the most inconvenient seat. I hate having to pause my movie, remove my headphones, pick up my stuff, raise my tray table, and get in the aisle to let someone out, then sit there holding my stuff for 2-5 minutes waiting for them to come back, and then reorganize my things. Or worse than all that, wake me when I'm sound asleep. Give me the window please, I can make it most flights without a bathroom break.

MIAspotter

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 am

I always get a window seat, and keep the shade up, if I have a seat neighbour, and during the flight she/he is asleep I will lower it halfway or a bit more, and when she/he wakes up, I will then put it up again.

I like to look out of the window even if it´s just cloud and nothing more, I put on some music and relax.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

conaly

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 am

As I take the window-seat as often as possible, I keep the shade open in most cases. I only close it on long range flights, either when it's required by the FAs or if the sun is shining directly onto the IFE-screen making it hard to watch. I've never been asked by any passenger to either open or close the shade. I wouldn't ask for it either, unless I'm really bothered by direct sunlight.
Regards, Dimitri

LTU932

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I've only been asked once to close the shades by a passenger and since he asked nicely, I complied. I did however on occasion raise the shades to look outside during my treks over the Atlantic. Only on the LHR-DFW and DFW-LHR segments almost 3 years ago was I asked by the F/As to close the shades, even though others didn't really comply.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

TransGlobalGold

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
Noise wrote:

Thank you

/rant.

I think it is generally agreed that shades have to be open during take-off and landing. Otherwise, the window seat gets the option. I prefer aisle, and would never ask someone two seats away to open for my convenience.

32andBelow

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm

TransGlobalGold wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
Noise wrote:

Thank you

/rant.

I think it is generally agreed that shades have to be open during take-off and landing. Otherwise, the window seat gets the option. I prefer aisle, and would never ask someone two seats away to open for my convenience.

You absolutely do not need shades open during take off and landing in the USA

TransGlobalGold

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 pm

32andBelow wrote:
TransGlobalGold wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

/rant.

You absolutely do not need shades open during take off and landing in the USA

I've heard both, not an issue to me.

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 pm

On all of my Delta or Sun Country flights, I have never been asked or told to lower a window shade by a flight attendant. I prefer the window seat and enjoy looking out during my flight. I will close it if I'm going to use any type of IFE system or if the sun is shining directly in. I don't even recall any other passengers, in either the middle or aisle seat asking me to close the shade. If so asked, I would comply, but I would have no problem also stating that if we were passing over some geographic land feature, such as the Grand Canyon or Rocky Mountains or a large city like Chicago, that I would be raising my shade to look out and enjoy the sight. I've only noticed shades ever being down during the time of boarding a flight when I'm in Las Vegas or Phoenix, which makes sense to me because of the potential for warming up the cabin while the plane is on the ground being serviced, loaded up and boarded.

aeromoe

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 am

I live in the USA and have travelled extensively this past year for various reasons. Several international trips as well. For the most part, FAs asked for shades up during takeoff/landing for safety reasons...namely in case of fire outside in case of a crash event.

I can't imagine the rational for having shades down on a redeye as JFK31 states: "If you don't keep it all the down on a red-eye though :roll: , that's just rude." It's fricking dark outside during a redeye. Why do the shades need to be down...and why is it rude if they're up?? Please...

Flying is one of those times when we get to see the world from a completely unique perspective. Many of us A-netters fly for the FUN and ADVENTURE of it and that includes looking out of the window. People who choose to sit be the window typically like to look out the window and being denied that is akin to being denied the right to exercise curiosity about your surroundings. Put some eye shades on if you want "total" darkness...or sleep while you're on the ground. That being said, like many other responses, there are times when shades down is mandated by the crew and I comply. If someone were to ask I would compromise.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

MartijnNL

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:41 pm

skipness1E wrote:
I hate the override on the 787. Boarded in broad daylight to a darkened and airconned cabin, taxied out with windows fully dimmed. I had to ask for them to lighten them as the crew took their seats for departure. Very claustrophobic.

I am in no hurry to try the 787. This sounds terrible to me.

MartijnNL

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 pm

JFK31R wrote:
If you don't keep it all the down on a red-eye though :roll: , that's just rude.

Why? When I flew from SFO to IAD overnight in 4,5 hours it was dark all the way. I kept the window shade open, as I always do, and disturbed no one.

bgm

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Why is it in the US, they have such lax rules regarding window shades? The reasons for keeping them open during takeoff & landing is:

1) allows easy identification of any fire or engine/mech failure.
2) acclimatizes the passengers' eyes to light in the event of an emergency evacuation. Stumbling out of a dark plane into broad daylight adds another layer of problems/delays during an evacuation.

I'll add this to the list of 'WTF?', along with allowing pax to stuff their bags in the emergency exits...
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

JFK31R

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

If it's dark all the way, that's a different situation and naturally nobody would be disturbed. I was referring to red eye flights where the sun comes up a few hours prior to arrival.

csavel

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:07 pm

bennett123 wrote:
I tend to get a window seat.

I will keep the shades open, would would likely close it if asked.

If you tell me, that is a different matter.

As for toilets, I rarely use the ones on the plane.

I always get the window - looking out the window is the best entertainment system on a plane. No matter how many times I fly it is still amazing. Mind-boggling to me how many people at window seats keep shades closed.

That being said, I don't want to be a jerk. On days, esp sunny days I keep it 2/3 - 3/4 down down, enough to allow others to sleep but enough so I can peek out if I want to - and if sun is at angle to be going directly into the eyes of a seatmate trying to sleep, I keep it down for until sun and our plane has moved. Never had an issue, never had someone complain.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

kimimm19

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Yes, that person should typically have control over the window. Having said that, there should be a level of politeness of that person. That means the window shades stays up during takeoff and landing. I know that Swiss and I believe Lufthansa has this policy anyway, but in America it is a problem during morning and evening flights in particular. I guess that's the good thing about electronic window shades like on the 787 which can be controlled by the flight attendants.

Mimark06

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 pm

A lot of people here claim they 'always get the window seat', but in my experience I usually have to pay for it. It maybe $40-$50 each way to pick my seat. I pick my seat next to the window with the express purpose of being able to look out that window the entire damn flight! No one is telling me to close the shade.

Georgetown

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 pm

aeromoe wrote:
It's fricking dark outside during a redeye. Why do the shades need to be down...and why is it rude if they're up?? Please...

Really? You can't have taken many redeyes. On a lot of them the sun comes up well before you land, and as it's rising can hit the windows at such an angle that it's like a laser beam in the eyes of some passengers depending on where they are seated. This becomes a problem when someone falls asleep with the shade open and some guy four rows back across the aisle gets the angle of the sun really bright right in the face, so the other guy has to be woken up by the FA to close the window. This happens all the time and is one of the major reasons FA's ask for shades to be down.
Let's go Hoyas!

aeromoe

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Georgetown wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
It's fricking dark outside during a redeye. Why do the shades need to be down...and why is it rude if they're up?? Please...

Really? You can't have taken many redeyes. On a lot of them the sun comes up well before you land, and as it's rising can hit the windows at such an angle that it's like a laser beam in the eyes of some passengers depending on where they are seated. This becomes a problem when someone falls asleep with the shade open and some guy four rows back across the aisle gets the angle of the sun really bright right in the face, so the other guy has to be woken up by the FA to close the window. This happens all the time and is one of the major reasons FA's ask for shades to be down.

Oh, I completely understand the concept and I'm not insensitive to the needs of others. I was just stirring the pot as they say. I am an aviation enthusiast, not a business traveller, I fly because I want to, not because I need/have to. And when I do fly I try to enjoy the experience...because I'm paying for it, not some corporation paying for it. I certainly comply with the rules and respect the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few...sorry had to toss that in there. But if my window shade is up at night it's because I'm looking out the window...not because I've fallen asleep and left it up. Regards....
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Mimark06 wrote:
A lot of people here claim they 'always get the window seat', but in my experience I usually have to pay for it. It maybe $40-$50 each way to pick my seat. I pick my seat next to the window with the express purpose of being able to look out that window the entire damn flight! No one is telling me to close the shade.

Exactly! Bravo!!

JonathanRP

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm

I chose a window seat for every leg of LHR-SIN-SYD and back again, I find myself having a constant internal battle with myself as I feel bad if it's sunny and someone is trying to sleep but at the same time, I feel like I should be allowed to look out of the window if I wish, otherwise, why have windows on a plane in the first place?

In the end, I'd see if someone was making passive gestures at me to imply that the light from my window was a little uncomfortable then I'd close it about 2/3rds of the way which would prevent most of my row from the sunlight apart from me, I found this only to be an issue when the sun was directly overhead and therefore sunlight was reflecting off the wings directly into the cabin, or we were flying over dense white cloud.

I've only ever been expressly told to close the window shade, by a Virgin Atlantic FA at sunrise over the Atlantic. Delta flight attendants never mentioned or gestured to me when it was a sunny day over the Atlantic and most of the cabin had closed their shades, and only once did a Singapore Airlines flight attendant gently squint and shield her eyes from the glare as to imply to me that it was a little too bright.

If my fellow passenger were to ask me to close the shade, I'd more than happily oblige if it was preventing their sleep, in the same vain, I'd hope they'd extend the same courtesy of allowing me to at least have it open a little to look out still, or fully open when it's not so sunny.

Georgetown

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 pm

aeromoe wrote:
But if my window shade is up at night it's because I'm looking out the window...not because I've fallen asleep and left it up. Regards....

Agree. In that instance it's obviously A OK. I personally find that looking at cities at night from the air one of the coolest parts of flying. Chicago being one of the easiest to pick out (and a reminder that you have another 4+ hours to go on a westbound transcon).
Let's go Hoyas!

Avinamaine

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

I'm trying to sit at the window, but sometimes it could be an aisle seat. Usually, I took short flights, so it wasn't a problem. But I have to say for me it's uncomfortable if a window shade is closed or there's no window at all (and I'm not kidding). My last flight (for 1,5 hours) I sat with a man sitting near the window and using sleep mask in the morning (7 am). It's ok, maybe it was the last seat on the low-cost airplane, but in other situations, I guess you can always choose one. If you scared or smth else, take an aisle seat, and everyone would be happy) you can't get it both ways.
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
Get help with an assignment https://essayshark.com. Stay stressless ;)