Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CrimsonNL
Topic Author

Late night transfer from TPE to Taipei city

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 am

Hi all,

I've got a trip planned to TPE, where I will be spending 2 days for sightseeing. I'm arriving around midnight on Sunday (so the night from Sun/Mon) in order to (hopefully) catch the China Airlines 744. I need to get to downtown Taipei around 0030-0100 assuming I arrive on schedule.

The new airport MRT should start at March 2 which is about a week before I get there, however I cannot find any time tables. Does anyone know any public transport options from TPE to the city during night time? I'm hoping for something more economical then a taxi. My hotel is right next to the Taipei Main Station so that will be my final destination.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Martijn

BreninTW

Re: Late night transfer from TPE to Taipei city

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:59 am

Hi Martijn,

According to this article the airport MRT will stop running at 11 PM, so you're out of luck on that one.

You can catch a bus from the airport to Taipei Main Station for NT$125 each was. The bus will drop you off at one of two stops at the Main Station (it's changed a lot since I last took the bus, so I'm afraid I can't tell you which one will be the best stop -- I think it will be the East stop). The times on the website are confusing, but the bus effectively runs 24 hours.

Which terminal are you arriving at? It can be a little confusing to find the bus stops -- if you're arriving at T1, you need to go downstairs at some point to get to the boarding area. There are ticket vending machines at the bus boarding area that have an English interface.

What are your plans in Taipei -- anything in particular?

For reference, a taxi to the train station will cost around NT$1,500 (which is about 45 Euro). You can also hire a car and driver for about NT$1,200 (about 37 Euro).

seat64k

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

One thing to note is that taxi drivers are not guaranteed to speak any English (in my sample of three, none did). So whether you take a taxi from TPE or from where-ever the bus drops you, I highly recommend that you prepare the name and address of your accommodation printed in Chinese (make sure it's traditional characters - ask) to show the driver. Unless, of course, you speak Mandarin :)

I got in similarly late on my first visit. I took the bus from TPE - I don't remember the name of the place we were dropped off, but I just got a taxi there. Even though I spoke enough Mandarin to get by with the basics, I still wasn't able to explain to the driver where I was going (not a big name hotel, but a small private B&B), and ended up saying the name of the neighbourhood/MTR station and then ended up running around in pouring rain for half an hour.

mercure1

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Always have taken the taxi from the airport. Never had any issues.

BreninTW

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 am

seat64k wrote:
One thing to note is that taxi drivers are not guaranteed to speak any English (in my sample of three, none did). So whether you take a taxi from TPE or from where-ever the bus drops you, I highly recommend that you prepare the name and address of your accommodation printed in Chinese (make sure it's traditional characters - ask) to show the driver. Unless, of course, you speak Mandarin :)

I got in similarly late on my first visit. I took the bus from TPE - I don't remember the name of the place we were dropped off, but I just got a taxi there. Even though I spoke enough Mandarin to get by with the basics, I still wasn't able to explain to the driver where I was going (not a big name hotel, but a small private B&B), and ended up saying the name of the neighbourhood/MTR station and then ended up running around in pouring rain for half an hour.

Valid point on the English. I've been here so long, I don't even try to speak English anymore when I take a taxi, so I had forgotten about that. In fact, it's better to assume that the taxi drivers WON'T speak English, so having your destination in Chinese is a must. The bus drivers almost certainly won't speak English either, but many of the buses now have automated destination announcement systems that tell you where you are arriving in English as well as a selection of other (local) languages. You should be able to ask at the information counter at arrivals for them to write down your hotel details in Chinese (but I'm not sure what time the counters close, if at all). If that isn't possible, it's a quick walk around the corner to the check-in counters, where I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

If things really fall apart, give your hotel a call and ask them to help out, or you can try to call 1999 -- it's the Taipei City helpline and they do offer English service (but you may find that the on-duty English-speaker has left for the day). I don't know if 1999 will work from a foreign number, but no harm in trying.

CrimsonNL
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 am

Hi guys!

BreninTW wrote:
Hi Martijn,

You can catch a bus from the airport to Taipei Main Station for NT$125 each was. The bus will drop you off at one of two stops at the Main Station (it's changed a lot since I last took the bus, so I'm afraid I can't tell you which one will be the best stop -- I think it will be the East stop). The times on the website are confusing, but the bus effectively runs 24 hours.

Thanks, that's a helpful link. I guess I will try to find that bus :) Depending on the time I have in TPE (CI involuntarily rebooked my on an earlier flight out then I wanted) I'm just going to visit the usual tourist stuff. I should have about one and a half day depending on my return flight.

seat64k wrote:

Ah yes I learned that the hard way too in PEK a few years ago ;) My hotel reservation does have the address listed on it in mandarin!

Thanks for the replies!

Martijn