Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BreninTW
Topic Author

Bright lights just south of St Petersburg (RU)

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 am

Just before Chinese New Year, I was flying from Hong Kong to London on CX. We flew across Russia and just south of St Petersburg* I noticed large square/rectangular light installations below me. They were a very bright orange and made me think of LED lights. They were much brighter than the street/city lighting I could see in the distance.

As we continued flying, I saw similar installations that appeared to be off the Dutch coast* (I might be mistaken, as these had light cloud/fog cover and I couldn't clearly see any coastline).

Does anyone have any idea what these could be? They were too square to be natural, and inordinately bright. The light appeared (to me) to be too constant to be fire.

* I got my location data from the aircraft moving map, so it might not be absolutely accurate. The map did show us flying south of the city when I saw the first set of lights, and I certainly could see city lights out of my window.

Leej

Re: Bright lights just south of St Petersburg (RU)

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 am

Maybe petrochemical installations - oil or gas refineries with burnoff?

BreninTW
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am

Leej wrote:
Maybe petrochemical installations - oil or gas refineries with burnoff?

That was one of my first guesses as well, but I doubted myself ... so decided to ask :rotfl:

CrimsonNL

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 am

BreninTW wrote:

As we continued flying, I saw similar installations that appeared to be off the Dutch coast* (I might be mistaken, as these had light cloud/fog cover and I couldn't clearly see any coastline).

Those could be ships anchored at sea outside harbor entrances. If it was on land then they were most likely greenhouses which light up the entire cloud ceiling for many kilometers.

Martijn

VSMUT

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 am

CrimsonNL wrote:
BreninTW wrote:

Those could be ships anchored at sea outside harbor entrances. If it was on land then they were most likely greenhouses which light up the entire cloud ceiling for many kilometers.

Martijn

Speaking of bright lights in the Netherlands:

On a recent flight out of AMS from RWY 18L heading roughly due south (nighttime) I spotted a massive "TV-screen"/monitor on the left side of the aircraft. Any idea what it was? It was very shortly after takeoff.

CrimsonNL

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Speaking of bright lights in the Netherlands:

On a recent flight out of AMS from RWY 18L heading roughly due south (nighttime) I spotted a massive "TV-screen"/monitor on the left side of the aircraft. Any idea what it was? It was very shortly after takeoff.

That's the Ziggo Dome concert venue for sure;

https://youtu.be/dBsfnFpk1ik

Martijn