usdcaguy

Re: Most underrated airline?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm

I vote for MEA. Of course, the landing into BEY is one of the world's most scenic, so I'm biased. AF does a great job in business, though coach can be so cramped on the 777, it's now cliche to discuss it on anet!

joseIV

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 pm

AF is underrated given the reputation they have on this site. Their new onboard economy product on the 77W is quite good. I was pleasantly surprised on my flight between CDG-DXB this past November, and found the overall flight quite enjoyable. Great food and service and good IFE made the flight go by quickly, and the seats are much more comfortable than an 9 abreast 787.

GA and TG are underrated too compared to SQ. Their onboard product and service are on the levels of SQ and have enjoyed their product on short-haul sectors. Will definately pay extra to fly these carriers as opposed to LCCs.

aklrno

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm surprised to be saying this, but I've had nothing but excellent service from UA for the last couple of years. Three years ago not so much, but things are great now!

There are always people here denigrating WN, but I think they have been great all along. Calmest boarding process in the business.

coolian2

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 pm

ZKOXA wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Jetstar AU/NZ.

:checkmark:

They get so much hate from NZ and Australia for being a cheap and therefore rubbish airline, said to be unsafe, but have an amazing safety record. Jetstar is no different to NZ on short domestic routes and in Australia are basically on par with VA. And you just can't beat the cheap fares, it's almost always guaranteed that Auckland to Wellington or Christchurch will not cost more than $50 NZD!

ZKOXA

I've told this story on the forum before, but the FA noticed my elderly father was struggling and offered a wheelchair when we got to our destination. I thought like hell it would be there, especially given nobody asked until we were on the plane....after we'd be given a cockpit tour, what was in the airbridge as we eventually stopped talking to the flight crew who loved their jobs?

My ex lived in Christchurch and every single flight I took was on time or early. Admittedly I haven't faced IRROPS with them, but they're good as far as I care, and I would go and tell the Qantas Group that every time.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

crazyplane1234

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 pm

joseIV wrote:
...Their new onboard economy product on the 77W...much more comfortable than an 9 abreast 787.

Aren't the seats exactly the same width?

Swadian
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:59 pm

Agree with RJ and MEA, everyone talks about the ME3 but rarely about RJ or MEA.
Agree with SU, many people still think they are bad, being ex-Soviet and all.
Agree with the major US airlines, I'd venture to say Americans like to complain too much.
Agree with LCCs and ULCC, they are hated but they are cheap and you get what you pay for.
Disagree with Porter and Sun Country, would not say they are "underrated" rather than they are just not well-known. Those who do fly Sun Country or Porter rate them highly (most of the time).
Disagree with AC, AF, LX, and NH, they are/are going 10-abreast in Y on 777s. Hardly deserving 4-star and 5-star status, especially since NH is worse than JL in many respects. If anything, Skytrax overrates AF (we don't trust Skytrax but the general public does).
Disagree with WN, they are rated highly by the general public, so are not 'underrated'.

LATAM vs Avianca is going to be really interesting as they are the only major international airlines left in South America.
SMS Kaiser

BuildingMyBento

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:07 am

I've had some decent flights with SV (Saudia) over the past few years.

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am

sevenair wrote:
Ryanair. Cheap, get you from A to B. No pomp. No ceremony. Fabulous safety record. Amazing rout choice and frequency. OK legroom and onboard prices.

Absolutely. Perfect for short haul. Excellent choice, serves a ton of airports. fantastic prices and now more often than not friendly crews with a smile, decent BOB and generous carry-on policy. Beats BA in my book!

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 am

I've personally had some really excellent long-hauls on MH, UL and TG. And I mean REALLY good.

vrbarreto

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Rendition air. Drink as much as you like.. Er can. Bring as much baggage as you can fit. Your own seat or four. Non stop rock music and the food is to die for. Your own personal in flight supervisor and iterenany planner. No queuing up at immigration at either end and the best thing. Any travel bans don't apply to you.

Otherwise I would nominate Sky Europe but they were destroyed by Ryan air.

Air India can be very hit and miss.. Allowed my parents to book extra leg room seats on an exit row despite my mother being in a wheelchair. My father told this to them over the phone but still they took the money.. Did give them a block of 3 seats between the 2 of them in a very full flight though once we queried what was going on at the airport. Also took good care of them all the way to their destination in India.

theasianguy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 am

The most underrated airlines IMO are JAL and EVA Air by far.

JAL has some of the lowest density cabins of any airline, period. While shrinking seats and service cuts are the industry norm, JAL increased Y seat pitch to 34" and width to 19". Meal quality has increased dramatically from 5 years ago, and F and J offer lie flat, full privacy suites. Their goal is not to become a household name and connect boatloads of passengers from North America to Asia. Their primary goal is just to provide the most comfortable experience carrying Japanese O&D passengers home and abroad. Sure, their fares are some of the highest out there, but their clientele are passengers who are willing to pay the premium. Today, they are one of the most profitable carriers in the world, best on time rating, and definitely comparable to SQ or NH.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have BR, which fills cabins with more low-yielding passengers but still offers a quality product. EVA is hardly known outside of Taiwan, but are a great way to get from North America to SE Asia economically. Food, drink, service, and seats are all excellent in Y. I've found their service to be better than CX, EK, TG, and OZ. Elite class is usually not a fortune over Y, and definitely a better experience than UA/AA business. Royal Laurel is one of the best business products out there, bordering on First class quality with Rimowa kits, wines, and PJ's. Hopefully, they can maintain this level of service as they rapidly expand into North America.

BoeingGuy

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 am

China Airlines. Flew them recently and was very impressed with them. Airplanes were nice inside, especially the 777-300ER and service was good.

RyanairGuru

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Avianca - I didn't so much have low expectations, as no expectations, but VERY impressed by everything from the service to the food to the crew. Excellent airline.

Qantas - There are not many airlines left in the world who still serve full hot meals on 1 hour domestic flights, but specifically what I feel QF don't get acknowledged for is that they continue to do so despite the competition (VA, JQ, TT) all offer LCC product (and sorry, I am definitely calling VA LCC in short-haul economy, business class is admittedly very good). It must be tempting for Qantas to devalue their product as they aren't really competing with anyone using it, but they never have.

United - Agree with everyone who says the haters are not quick to praise when they get it right. United are generally very good and occasionally excellent in my experience and I certainly don't have any qualms with them. For the record I was stuck in LAX during the system outage on 7 July 2015 so I have been with them through IRROPS situations as well as good times.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jrfspa320

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:10 am

UL and MH have great crews and are definitely underrated

blink182

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:57 am

Aeromexico. For the most part, a new fleet, and the economy product on their Dreamliners is downright spacious. An 8 hour MEX-SCL flight featured two meals and Y class amenity kits. Crews friendly and IFE on their 738s and Dreamliners sufficient and available in several languages. Their MEX hub facilities leave a lot to be desired, but their on board and inflight product and crews are a full notch or two above their North American competition.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Ryanair01

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:19 pm

I've always found Aeroflot to be comfortable with good meals, staff are reserved (like most sober Russians ;-) ) but helpful. ANA are also very good in my experience. Cabin crew on Malaysia Airlines are superb too (although much else is fairly shambolic). I was also pleasantly surprised by Delta from London to New York, comfortable cabin, entertainment that kept me entertained and very personable crew. I found TAP longhaul crews very professional, with good food and seating - but let down by poor IFE.
Last edited by Ryanair01 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryanair01

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:30 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Qantas - There are not many airlines left in the world who still serve full hot meals on 1 hour domestic flights, but specifically what I feel QF don't get acknowledged for is that they continue to do so despite the competition (VA, JQ, TT) all offer LCC product (and sorry, I am definitely calling VA LCC in short-haul economy, business class is admittedly very good). It must be tempting for Qantas to devalue their product as they aren't really competing with anyone using it, but they never have.

QF's evening service on the MEL/SYD/BNE triangle is genuinely terrific, a full hot (and usually tasty) meal with wine plus PTVs (or PTV style) on 1h 30m flights, although it is only for a few hours a day. Outside of that the meal service is nothing special. I've always been surprised they've not reduced hot evening meals in line with the rest of the day, but congratulations for not.

DC1979

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 am

Based on my last set of flights, I'd have to say United. I really think they are starting to get their act together. My last few flights with them were excellent. I was actually shocked at how amazing the service was. I thought it may have been a one off, but the next flight was excellent as well. I used to avoid UA, but based on the last few experiences with them I will definitely consider flying them again.

KentB27

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 am

I would have to say United as well. They have been excellent every time I've flown them.

Back in the day Aloha Airlines was awesome but they've been out of the scheduled passenger service game now for nearly a decade.

I disagree with everyone saying WN is underrated though. If anything, WN is overrated.

angusjt

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:39 am

Scoot - They offer you a fairly cheap price to get to Singapore which further allows you to connect to many other destinations, all on the 787, admittingly their food can be a bit grotty

Jetstar - you get a fairly comfortable seat combined with ok tasting meals, staff are usually easy to approach with few exceptions

lesfalls

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

I would say Aeroflot. Everyone was telling me how bad they were before my flight but all that I heard ended up not being true at all. It was the only flight that I received TWO hot meals ,slippers and a sleeping mask on a TATL flight. The crew were also quite professional.
My Instagram account: @Jfkairlinespotting

ojjunior

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Have yous guys flown any Brazil domestic legs recently?
Try to fly JJ and G3 a few times then fly AD, you'll clearly see who's underrated...

hoons90

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 am

Air Asia X. Got a lie-flat seat (albeit angled) on a 5 hour 45 min flight. The cost was only USD270 one-way! That was the actual price of the ticket, and not an upgrade fee!
Crew were very polite, and food was decent as well, even if the portions were so-so.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

n729pa

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 pm

I've just got home having been to Lisbon for the day from LHR. Not for the first time but the first time on TAP. Wasn't expecting a lot to be honest but wanted to try them and log another airline. The crew were great on both flights. A nice fresh edible roll, a smoothie then a coffee and I was still offered another drink too. Cabins were clean seat pretty comfortable and crew well turned out too. Hmmm hope you're reading this BA. you've lost my custom to AMS and CDG to KL and AF. ZRH and GVA have always been LX, HEL AY and LH to FRA/MUC ....now you've got a fight to LIS on too....poor food and drink and lack of service from the crew...I might have expected that from TAP but I'm fully taken aback by their service today. Well done to them!

bfitzflyer

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:56 am

Flown CI 3 out of the past 4 years in all 3 classes and have been pretty impressed. Used to think EVA was way better, but the new 777W product is really well done.

ooslc

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 am

I say Aeroflot. I flew J on a domestic Russia flight (~2.5 hours). Was a wonderful experience and the food was pretty darn good. The flight attendants were super nice too!
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

directorguy

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:52 am

I would say Saudi Arabian Airlines is underrated.
I've flown them a few times over the past few years, and I've had good experiences with them. Generous baggage allowance, good catering, and considerate cabin crew. Sometimes they offer very cheap tickets to the US from the Middle East/India/SE Asia and excellent value for money.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:44 pm

I would say China Airlines. I flew them to Burma, via TPE, and have a very good experience. Service was good. Airplanes were spotless. Everything was smooth. I would not hesitate to fly with them again.

ojjunior

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:11 pm

zkojq wrote:
LAN/LATAM.

I believe you're talking about the old Chilean LAN's portion in the current LATAM's network, right? I'm confident you haven't flown TAM Brasil enough and if had, not many times, otherwise I'm positive your comment would be different...

zkojq

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:31 pm

ojjunior wrote:
zkojq wrote:
LAN/LATAM.

I believe you're talking about the old Chilean LAN's portion in the current LATAM's network, right?

Yes, correct. I've been told that the former TAM portion of LATAM is very hit and miss. Lets hope they improve to LAN standards soon. :)
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-200 ZK-OKD, 787-9 ZK-NZH PW94

ojjunior

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:58 pm

zkojq wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
zkojq wrote:
LAN/LATAM.

I believe you're talking about the old Chilean LAN's portion in the current LATAM's network, right?

Yes, correct. I've been told that the former TAM portion of LATAM is very hit and miss. Lets hope they improve to LAN standards soon. :)

Couldn't have said better. The poor Brazilians pax are in a real need of it!