Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

masgniw
Topic Author

Favorite transcon (LAX/SFO - NYC/BOS) product in Y?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Title says it all - I'd even count routes with a layover (WN?) if you think it stands out.

I've done these sorts of flights mostly on DL, which have been very passable.

KLMatSJC

Re: Favorite transcon (LAX/SFO - NYC/BOS) product in Y?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Well DL is supposedly trying out free meals in Y on SFO/LAX-JFK, so I'd go with them if it sticks. Plus, you get the added benefit of flying a 752 or a 763, as opposed to the A321.

Rookie87

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 am

Never did the DL, but I've been on Jet Blue and Virgin America on the transcon and prefer AA. You get a blanket, free IFE, and only 72 passengers in Y with you so it never feels crowded. LAX/SFO-JFK

The one issue I had with Jet Blue is that I didn't know how to turn off the TV screen since the light was bothering me while I tried to sleep. Great service, you get a small water bottle too.

syvjeff

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:09 pm

I generally grab the international DL wide bodies on LAX-JFK run. Last 3 flights have been on A330 and 767-400. Shhh.....I usually book large emergency exit row in 3/4s toward the back of aircraft.

Socrates17

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Amtrak.
Lake Shore LImited > California Zephyr if going to San Francisco,
Lake Shore Limited > Southwest Chief if going to Los Angeles,
Lake Shore Limited > Empire Builder if going to Seattle.
I've taken all 3. Alternatively, I will drive (and I have driven) transcon. If time does not permit train/auto, I'll only use JetBlue.
What am I doing on this board, you ask? I love flying intercontinentally, especially to Europe (where I'll switch to trains and/or EasyJet) and Asia (where I take trains if practical, such as Hong Kong to Shanghai; or any *A carrier if not, such as CAN to ICN).

masgniw
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Socrates17 wrote:
Amtrak.
I've taken all 3. Alternatively, I will drive (and I have driven) transcon. If time does not permit train/auto, I'll only use JetBlue.
What am I doing on this board, you ask? I love flying intercontinentally, especially to Europe (where I'll switch to trains and/or EasyJet) and Asia (where I take trains if practical, such as Hong Kong to Shanghai; or any *A carrier if not, such as CAN to ICN).

Haha I guess I never specified air travel...

I would love to try Amtrak. Certainly a life goal. Unfortunately I never have the spare time. Plus the cost is amazingly high.

DaveFly

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm

I once took Amtrak from New York Penn Station to West Palm Beach. I rented a private compartment with a bed, sink, toilet. It was all very nice.

I'll never do it again. Just put me on the airplane, I'll be much happier.

DaveFly

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Oh, and the transcons .... I've flown American, Delta, United, JetBlue -- all on the base Y fare. JetBlue had the most legroom. That's the winner for me.

Socrates17

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:56 pm

masgniw wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
Amtrak.

Haha I guess I never specified air travel...

I would love to try Amtrak. Certainly a life goal. Unfortunately I never have the spare time. Plus the cost is amazingly high.

Actually, in coach, fares aren't that bad. But, not being a masochist, I insist on some sort of bedroom for overnight and those ARE really expensive. I just checked on the fare for the Coast Starlight, Los Angeles > San Francisco, for my daughter for Spring Break and it was $62 in coach for an 11 hour ride up the California coast. The Coast Starlight is one of their most beautiful rides, although little on Earth beats the California Zephyr going through Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada in the dead of Winter.

JFK31R

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:15 am

For me it's B6 hands down. The mint A321s are very comfortable and modern.
I was very much looking forward to my JFK-LAX trip last year on a DL 763, but I felt really squished :crowded: on that old bird.