Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B742
Topic Author

UK-Thailand: EK, QR, EY or TG?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Planning on travelling to Thailand next month, some great fares from London to Phuket/Krabi on the following airlines:

My options are In economy for:
Emirates 388 and 77W
Qatar Airways 388/788/359 and 332
Etihad 388 and 77W
Thai 388/77W and 333

I've flown all airlines except EY before, but have been to AUH.

Which would you pick and why?

theobcman

Re: UK-Thailand: EK, QR, EY or TG?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Definitely QR from that list for me. Look at all those aircraft types, great service, good seats & IFE. Plus I'm loyal to OW so QR for me every time.

An767

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 am

I would pick TG, flown them a few times and always found the service pretty good , never been on the 380 with them , As for the ME 3 only flown EK and tbh I try to avoid them service is very hit and miss
AN767

n729pa

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Personally I'd probably pick TG. I've always wanted to fly Thai and what better way to do it than on their A380.

I wouldn't consider EK, I tried them back from SYD and really wasn't overly impressed by the hype.

As a One World FF, I'd be tempted by Qatar - a good mix of equipment A380/A350/A380/B777 from LHR alone, and I know people who were impressed by the QR service/experience.

So for me a toss up between TG and QR
Maybe EY
Not EK

Etihad...maybe, nothing against them, and I hear they've good.

jumpjets

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:59 pm

I notice you don't mention BA - is that a conscious choice, or maybe you aren't ending your journey at BKK - but BA do codeshare I believe with Bangkok Airways on certain domestic routes.

usflyer123

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:51 pm

i usually try to pick the airline who is in the alliance i have the most miles in. but from the airlines listed above i would pick TG, they are wonderful and i think you wont have many chances of flying them if you live in the UK. QR is also excellent! EY and EK are nice too, but connecting at DXB or AUH is not very pleasant...

hoons90

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:52 am

Hands down... Emirates!

Delicious and plentiful food, top notch IFE, warm and friendly flight attendants and really comfortable seats on the A380. I've also flown Etihad and they simply don't compare. I've never flown QR so I can't comment, and I've only flown TG domestically, so I'm not sure what their long haul flights are like.

fessor

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:31 am

Would go for TG or EK
QR is servicevise a real hit and miss the crew can be good but sometimes also some of the worst in the sky, and then for any rice i would avoid the QR 787 they have the worst seats in the sky
EK to BKK and then connect on PG would be the best but TG is not far behind

i travel to Thailand more times every year and QR are the worst, even Norwegian is better

gabrielchew

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:02 am

B742 wrote:
Planning on travelling to Thailand next month, some great fares from London to Phuket/Krabi on the following airlines:

My options are In economy for:
Emirates 388 and 77W
Qatar Airways 388/788/359 and 332
Etihad 388 and 77W
Thai 388/77W and 333

I've flown all airlines except EY before, but have been to AUH. Which would you pick and why?

I got back from New Zealand yesterday flying TG (380/772), so have very recent experience of TG....no problems! The 380 is very spacious, and neither of my LHR-BKK flights were full. I had a pair of seats to myself on the upper deck outbound, and 4 across for the nighttime flight back yesterday. Food was good, and plenty of drinks. One sour crew member on both flights, but the majority were good. Great IFE on the A380. Connecting in BKK is ok, and on the return you can go through immigration in HKT I think.

Of the others, I would warn against EK 777 in Y, as it's very cramped, but otherwise quite like them in the air. I've flown a lot with QR, and like their service. EY, I wasn't such a fan of, especially the lack of consistency in product, although I love their new branding. Personally, I don't like transiting in any of the ME3 hubs, although AUH is by far the busiest, and DXB the largest, with the possibility of some very long walks and terminal changes.

Tip arriving in HKT....take a standard metered taxi (air con). You may have to ask a million people, but there is a stand! (I used it in July) I ended up paying around 20% of the hotel car price, and 50% of the "airport limo" prices. Just make sure you have some cash on you. The new terminal should be open by now.

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:49 am

If you're in Y then I like TG. I have not flown EY but EK/QR always feel solid without being exceptional, but inconsistent. I would avoid QR because scheduled type and actual type with them are two very different things. a QR A350 or 9 abreast 777 is a nice plane, a 10 abreast 777 or a 787 isn't - and the odds are high you will get one as a sub.

jumpjets

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Rather than start a new topic - can I ask a couple of my own questions.

I am flying to Cambodia shortly from LHR and my options have boiled down to Thai or Malaysian. On timing and slightly on cost Thai is my preference, especially as I haven't been on Thai before. Does anyone have any strong views on which would be better, principally for the long haul segments between BKK and LHR?

The segment between BKK and Siem Reap is Thai Smile - I cant find much about their fleet other than our flight is an A320 - its only 50 minutes so doesn't matter hugely but is it standard Thai layout as I see on Seatguru or is there a 'special' low cost pack em in tight variant for Thai smile?

Finally our connection time to Siem Reap at BKK is only one hour ten minutes - does anyone have a view on whether that is a comfortable amount of time to make the connection?

gabrielchew

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:34 pm

jumpjets wrote:
Rather than start a new topic - can I ask a couple of my own questions.

I am flying to Cambodia shortly from LHR and my options have boiled down to Thai or Malaysian. On timing and slightly on cost Thai is my preference, especially as I haven't been on Thai before. Does anyone have any strong views on which would be better, principally for the long haul segments between BKK and LHR?

The segment between BKK and Siem Reap is Thai Smile - I cant find much about their fleet other than our flight is an A320 - its only 50 minutes so doesn't matter hugely but is it standard Thai layout as I see on Seatguru or is there a 'special' low cost pack em in tight variant for Thai smile?

Finally our connection time to Siem Reap at BKK is only one hour ten minutes - does anyone have a view on whether that is a comfortable amount of time to make the connection?

Thai Smile is very similar to regular Thai. You get a free snack and a bottle of water, which is all you need on a short flight. 70 mins connection in BKK is short, but doable. Just make sure you move quickly!

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Please keep in mind that Thomson Airways also flies direct Gatwick - Phuket and they offer some great fares. Downside is that they only got one flight per week, but that should be enough.

n729pa

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm

So B742...I assume you have now made the trip...who did you chose, why and what were they like?

jumpjets

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Gabriel/Patrick - thanks for the thoughts. Have settled on the Thai Airways option - my first ride with them and only my second on an A380. Also looking forward to a domestic flight within Cambodia - bit disappointed it will be on an ATR or A321 - had hoped they might have been flying something a bit more exotic!

jetwet1

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 am

Important thing to remember in Cambodia, the price given for anything is negotiable, do not be afraid to haggle and I mean seriously haggle, take the price quoted for anything, divide it by 10

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:01 pm

The exotic aircraft have mostly gone, even from this corner of the world. There is only one Cambodian airline that has an exotic type in it's fleet, that's Cambodia Bayon Airlines flying the Xian MA60.

Surprisingly there's very little Boeings in southeast Asia, it's mostly Airbus for international and ATR for domestic.

AirbusA343

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd choose QR or EY. I'd pick QR because of the selection of aircraft (especially the A359). I'd pick EY only in your situation because you've never been on them, I'm the type of guy that likes trying out different airlines.

Fiend

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:14 am

My airline of choice to BKK from the UK currently is QR. I fly from MAN, so TG is out of the equation for me. EY has a lower baggage allowance (23kg) so that leaves it between QR and EK, but with EK now charging extra for seat selection on promo fares I'll go for QR.

My Mrs is Thai and likes to bring back a lot of Thai ingredients back with us hence the need for 30Kg baggage allowance

TWA772LR

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 am

I'd go on Thai. It's nonstop and a more "exotic" airline, plus it'll be a cool start to a trip in Thailand.

I'd also consider EY since you say you haven't flown them yet, just to do something new. :)

newbief1yer

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Regarding Cambodia, I just flew via CZ from London. A decent option with a stop over in CAN.
Almost tried out Cambodia Bayon XianM60, but in the end went for Sky Angkor bog standard A320.

Hope you enjoy Cambodia, it's a lovely country with a very harsh past.