Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

My first flight on a Boeing 787

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:37 am

Hello

On Friday, I flew on a Boeing 787 for the first time. The flight was on the LAX-DFW route, and it was an AA 788. I was a little disappointed by the size of the windows, because I thought they would be huge, but after I flew an Airbus A321s back, I realize that the windows where large. I was impressed that the pilots took it up to 41000 ft for such a short flight, and a 787 makes for a great 767 replacement. Now don't expect the rocket climb of a 757, now it do have a pretty smooth yet somewhat choppy climb.

DocLightning

Re: My first flight on a Boeing 787

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:05 am

747400sp wrote:
Hello

On Friday, I flew on a Boeing 787 for the first time. The flight was on the LAX-DFW route, and it was an AA 788. I was a little disappointed by the size of the windows, because I thought they would be huge, but after I flew an Airbus A321s back, I realize that the windows where large. I was impressed that the pilots took it up to 41000 ft for such a short flight, and a 787 makes for a great 767 replacement. Now don't expect the rocket climb of a 757, now it do have a pretty smooth yet somewhat choppy climb.

On my first 787 flight I got a rocket climb that would have done any 752 proud. Depends on the flight. The 788 has an enormous wing for such a small aircraft (really optimized for the 789). On a short flight with a small fuel load it would make sense to climb as high as possible. Not only does this allow the aircraft to minimize drag, but it also means that on the descent they can basically just coast down.

YYZSpotter1991

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:16 pm

I flew on my first 788 via BA 93 from LHR-YYZ last June to conclude a 6-week sojourn including a month-long tour of the continent. I liked the larger windows, higher altitude and comfy seats (I'm average height so I didn't have an issue with seat pitch and width). The flight itself left 2 hours late and I had some minor audio issues with my IFE, but the flight itself was smooth and faster than my other westbound flights to date.

theobcman

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 pm

I am a massive 787 fan. Having traveled on a few I really like them. Seat width / pitch not an issue and really think I did feel better after 12 hours of flying.

I think it's been a game changer - look at the airlines & routes being flown with/because of this aircraft. Norweigan a prime example!

jumpjets

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:52 pm

My first 787 flight was a LAN 788 MAD-SCL so a long flight for an introduction to the type. Despite it being 9 abreast in Y and full - not to mention me being 6'2 and 240lbs - I found it reasonably comfortable and was able to sleep for part of the journey which for me is quite unusual.

My second 787 was LAN again, SCL-IPC a couple of weeks later. I then had an opportunity to make a direct comparison with the LAN 767 which was my ride back from the island to SCL - the 787 won hands down for comfort and IFE. The overall service from the FAs and food was reasonably good and pretty much the same on both flights

JFK31R

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 am

I'm a big fan of the Dreamliner as well. I've flown on AM & DY 788 and was very impressed with both.
We actually made it from JFK-LGW in under 5 1/2 hours.
I found the way that the window tint makes it a great deal easier to sleep during the day. "Dreamwhiners" will abound, complaining about 3-3-3 but that's reality of air travel these days.
And if you're flying in Y, many airlines have 2-3-2 in the last few rows; I did that on DY and was very comfortable.

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:59 am

My first, and so far only, 787 ride was the day the grounding was lifted. I flew a UA 788 from IAH-EWR. It was amazing! The 2 things that really stuck out where the clarity of the PA system, and the fact the toilet lid shut itself before it flushed!
:mrgreen: