ALTF4
Topic Author

What do people dislike about DL?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Not sure where this one will go, but a bit curious what responses will be.

Here's the thing. I fly DL a lot, based on flight time (maybe not as much based on segments). Out of 65+ flights this past year, 54 were DL. Out of the 65+ flights, 54 were in J class (or F domestic on DL), and probably 40+ of those were at least long-haul (over 7 hrs), if not ULH - so I am basing my experiences mostly on J experience. Other airlines include AS, BA, CZ, KE, MU, AF, EK, MS, SQ, and AZ.

I'm consistently fascinated by the dislike so many people have for DL. This isn't just on A.net, but elsewhere as well. I realize the scales get tipped when flying with DL on platinum and diamond status, as I have not flown in economy except once or twice with them (mainly when my wife is flying with me and we get upgrade listed based on her status). I never get real answers, however, on why DL is "the worst". On a JNB-ATL flight, half the J class was a tour group and said they would never fly DL again. Why? Their flight from PHL to ATL to continue to JNB was canceled due to weather in PHL (a few in the group were on AA from PHL to ATL and the AA flight was canceled too), and it was such a large group, that DL had to string them across the next three flights to JNB. It seems many 'issues' with DL are similar - one-off issues that may or may not be in DL's control.

In general, I have found:
  • J class product on DL is superior to AF, EK, and KE. AF and EK have 'fake' lie-flat seats that are still six-across; so when I (naturally) have the window seat, I'm climbing over the guy next to me. Have not experienced A380 products with any of these airlines, so that may be different. IFE is decent on DL as well, especially compared to AF and EK's absurd, over-the-top mess of screens and remotes with hardly any content.
  • Catering and overall experience is more universally acceptable on DL versus other airlines. I know I'm biased as DL serves American food, and I am an American. But very few people eat the cheese on AF J class, for example. KE was thoughtful to leave all of the spice out of their food and let each person add as much or as little as they wished - but the overall food was lacking quality, IMO.
  • Domestically, DL's upgrades are a nice perk. I wouldn't pay full F fare for a ticket. But getting a free upgrade, and getting it in a fair, orderly way, is a nice perk.
  • DL miles, for all the crap they get, seem valuable to me. One US-Europe round-trip, maybe with another hop on a SkyTeam partner, in J can be enough for my wife and I to fly ATL-ANC round-trip for free. I'm not sure what EK and SQ have from a rewards standpoint, but Delta catches a lot of flak for their SkyMiles; but the rewards seem decent.
  • Additional medallion perks are nice; not a huge "wow" factor, but nice. 4 domestic upgrades? Worked easily on ATL-SFO round-trip. Haven't tried the global upgrades yet.
  • FAs are, in my opinion, genuinely nicer, in general. Sure, they aren't all younger than 30 - but aren't we past judging service on that by now? They have a routine and a schedule but are always willing to accommodate. For example, serving a dinner service FCO-ATL when departure is at 9:50am is a little odd to me, and the FAs were happy to serve me later in the flight. (And, I've had dinner service at the same weird times with other airlines, too - so I don't think that is a DL-only thing?)
  • Change fees and etc are annoying, but many airlines have that. DL seems generous on waiving those, and since they alter schedules by a few minutes even a month or two out from your flight, you can often tweak your itinerary for free. Another airline changed the departure time on me by 45 minutes and I was told there was nothing they could do.

Anyway, you get the point. This is ALL anecdotal evidence, and I'm certainly viewing things from a biased point of view of flying with them almost exclusively in J and F for a while.

What are some things you dislike about DL when compared to other airlines? Please keep them to consistent issues; I didn't mention any once-off "great" experiences I had with them, only highlighted some of the consistent things that seem like DL is a quality product. So please do the same from the other point of view.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

TYCOON

Re: What do people dislike about DL?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:49 pm

I agree with you if comparing DL to other U.S. airlines. It is by far my favourite of the U.S. carriers across the Atlantic but that is not saying much really. I used to be a Platinum member and still am a lifetime Silver Medallion and Million Miler. I also happen to be an AF Platinum for Life FF. I no longer use my DL account, but rather my AF one (as I live in Paris now).
I have flown a number of trans-Atlantic flights with all of the major alliances, so in addition to U.S. ones (AA, DL, UA) I have also flown BA, KL, SN, LH, SK, LX, AZ, TP, IB and of course AF across the pond in business or in first. And, for me, there is no comparison between DL and AF... AF blows DL out of the water. The new business class on AF is fantastic... actually in my view it is the best of any European airline (I have tried them all). On board catering including the cheese which I and many others DO eat is miles ahead of DL. Just look at the quality (or lack thereof) of the wines and champagne DL serves compared to AF or even to BA... Two other things that really drive me nuts on DL (or any U.S. carrier) is 1) flight attendants are way too chatty - "Listen, I am not your best friend I'm just a passenger!"; so I much prefer the reserved and professional manner of AF FAs; and 2) inflight entertainment on DL is what I call mass dumbing down... The selection is heavy weighted to idiotic mass audience comedies or thrillers or sci-fi flicks whereas AF has some of those, but are much stronger in artsier, international films which suits me best.
I guess in the end it is to each his/her own...

jetwet1

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 am

ALTF4 wrote:
[list][*]J class product on DL is superior to AF, EK, and KE. AF and EK have 'fake' lie-flat seats that are still six-across; so when I (naturally) have the window seat, I'm climbing over the guy next to me. Have not experienced A380 products with any of these airlines, so that may be different. IFE is decent on DL as well, especially compared to AF and EK's absurd, over-the-top mess of screens and remotes with hardly any content.

The new J on AF looks very nice, probably superior to DL, but yes, I prefer DL J to BA/VS/LX

ALTF4 wrote:
[*]Catering and overall experience is more universally acceptable on DL versus other airlines. I know I'm biased as DL serves American food, and I am an American. But very few people eat the cheese on AF J class, for example. KE was thoughtful to leave all of the spice out of their food and let each person add as much or as little as they wished - but the overall food was lacking quality, IMO.

I can honestly say I have not had a bad meal on DL in a long time, the short rib they had out of ATL a couple of years ago jumps to mind as a great meal, also, amazingly the simple ham sandwich out of PUJ was fantastic.

ALTF4 wrote:
[*]Domestically, DL's upgrades are a nice perk. I wouldn't pay full F fare for a ticket. But getting a free upgrade, and getting it in a fair, orderly way, is a nice perk.

And becoming rare again, honestly, I don't care about upgrades, i've been lucky enough to work for companies that put me in paid 1st, but looking at the upgrade list at ATL or DTW it's insane the number of high status fliers that have zero chance of getting that upgrade.

ALTF4 wrote:
[*]DL miles, for all the crap they get, seem valuable to me. One US-Europe round-trip, maybe with another hop on a SkyTeam partner, in J can be enough for my wife and I to fly ATL-ANC round-trip for free. I'm not sure what EK and SQ have from a rewards standpoint, but Delta catches a lot of flak for their SkyMiles; but the rewards seem decent.

LMAO, yes, Skypesos catches flak, it's been the constant devaluing more than anything, but in comparison to say the VS Flying Club, Skypesos is a dream.

ALTF4 wrote:
[*]Additional medallion perks are nice; not a huge "wow" factor, but nice. 4 domestic upgrades? Worked easily on ATL-SFO round-trip. Haven't tried the global upgrades yet.

You are getting something for "free", you can't complain, though some people will.

There are 2 big issues for me, one is going away, the other seems to be here to stay.

The first is the different entertainment systems on the domestic runs, yes I know we should all be happy with a book or what is on our tablet, but there are times I just want to sit back and zone out, having to look up at a monitor is annoying (first world problem) or having some ancient system in the seat back that may or may not work is the same pain, now this is slowly going away, so all good there.

The other hints to your change fee, when the crap hits the fan a company the helps always makes life easy.

To give you an example, last year I had a medical emergency, we had 4 legs scheduled on B6 and I had 4 on DL by myself.

My wife called both airlines to try and resolve the issues, B6 were amazing, all fees waived and we even got a card from the B6 family wishing me a speedy recovery.

DL, let's just say they were not that helpful, I wouldn't say rude, but more of a "we don't really care" thing, I was expecting a little more as a diamond member.

ACDC8

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:53 am

I flew DL in economy earlier this year and I have zero complaints - I was very impressed. Staff was courteous, service was great, planes were fresh and comfortable.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

danvs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:41 am

I've flown 5 legs on DL, 4 of them in 2012 (GRU-ATL-MDW-ATL-SCL) and 1 this month (JFK-GRU).
In 2012 my impression was that service was ok, sometimes good, sometimes average.
On my last trip, however, I was impressed with the service we, Y passengers, got. Not only FAs were corteous and efficient, but also it was evident that they loved their jobs. All of them 45+ years-old, and all provided us an outstanding, excellent service. I never dreamed of getting such a good service from a US Airline, but DL proved me wrong.
Food in Y was above average, both on my 2012 flights and on my recent flight.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:13 am

I fly Delta very regularly (about 4-5 times a month) and I usually have not complaints. They have very consistent service and I have been very lucky with delays *knock on wood*

Though I am waiting on a particular poster to "chime in" about Delta's Regionals and how they are worse than anything in the world! ;)
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Adipasquale

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am

I've flown around 20 segments on DL and DCI carriers (mostly OO) this year, so not a ton, but enough to get a good feel for the product they offer. Out of the US3, they are definitely my preference, enough so that I'm a SkyMiles member even though it is relatively devalued compared to UA and AA's FF programs. The domestic mainline product is very good, IMHO, the majority of the 757s have been refurbished, the A32Xs and 737s aren't bad, and the MD88s are still okay. I also love connecting through DTW, the McNamara terminal is an excellent facility.
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Though I am waiting on a particular poster to "chime in" about Delta's Regionals and how they are worse than anything in the world!

I really can't understand how people have legitimate gripes with the DCI products offered. In the past calendar year, I have flown every type besides the E145 (CR2,7,9 E170,175) that is operated under DCI branding, with Republic, GoJet, SkyWest, and Endeavor...and I don't really have a bad thing to say.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

HAJflyer99

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I haven't flown Delta extremely often, just 4 flight between Amsterdam and the US and 2 sectors domestic. Once in 2013 and once just a few weeks ago. I can definitely relate to your opinion about Delta being an airline that is absolutely fine... of course flying Y maybe not be the same as on SQ but their product is good.
- The new cabins on longhauls (especially the A330s) are quite nice, although pitch is industry standard
- Their IFE has enough amount to cover a TATL flight ( I don't need 200 movies to chose from tbh)
- Their crews quite amazes me. They may not be all super-friendly but if not they seem to make a professional and efficient job. For me Delta has the flight crews that seem most professional and also proud of their brand based on my experience.

They may not be top-notch but they by far aren't the worst :)

Corpsnerd09

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:24 am

ALTF4 wrote:
Not sure where this one will go, but a bit curious what responses will be.

Here's the thing. I fly DL a lot, based on flight time (maybe not as much based on segments). Out of 65+ flights this past year, 54 were DL. Out of the 65+ flights, 54 were in J class (or F domestic on DL), and probably 40+ of those were at least long-haul (over 7 hrs), if not ULH - so I am basing my experiences mostly on J experience. Other airlines include AS, BA, CZ, KE, MU, AF, EK, MS, SQ, and AZ.

I'm consistently fascinated by the dislike so many people have for DL. This isn't just on A.net, but elsewhere as well. I realize the scales get tipped when flying with DL on platinum and diamond status, as I have not flown in economy except once or twice with them (mainly when my wife is flying with me and we get upgrade listed based on her status). I never get real answers, however, on why DL is "the worst". On a JNB-ATL flight, half the J class was a tour group and said they would never fly DL again. Why? Their flight from PHL to ATL to continue to JNB was canceled due to weather in PHL (a few in the group were on AA from PHL to ATL and the AA flight was canceled too), and it was such a large group, that DL had to string them across the next three flights to JNB. It seems many 'issues' with DL are similar - one-off issues that may or may not be in DL's control.

In general, I have found:
  • J class product on DL is superior to AF, EK, and KE. AF and EK have 'fake' lie-flat seats that are still six-across; so when I (naturally) have the window seat, I'm climbing over the guy next to me. Have not experienced A380 products with any of these airlines, so that may be different. IFE is decent on DL as well, especially compared to AF and EK's absurd, over-the-top mess of screens and remotes with hardly any content.
  • Catering and overall experience is more universally acceptable on DL versus other airlines. I know I'm biased as DL serves American food, and I am an American. But very few people eat the cheese on AF J class, for example. KE was thoughtful to leave all of the spice out of their food and let each person add as much or as little as they wished - but the overall food was lacking quality, IMO.
  • Domestically, DL's upgrades are a nice perk. I wouldn't pay full F fare for a ticket. But getting a free upgrade, and getting it in a fair, orderly way, is a nice perk.
  • DL miles, for all the crap they get, seem valuable to me. One US-Europe round-trip, maybe with another hop on a SkyTeam partner, in J can be enough for my wife and I to fly ATL-ANC round-trip for free. I'm not sure what EK and SQ have from a rewards standpoint, but Delta catches a lot of flak for their SkyMiles; but the rewards seem decent.
  • Additional medallion perks are nice; not a huge "wow" factor, but nice. 4 domestic upgrades? Worked easily on ATL-SFO round-trip. Haven't tried the global upgrades yet.
  • FAs are, in my opinion, genuinely nicer, in general. Sure, they aren't all younger than 30 - but aren't we past judging service on that by now? They have a routine and a schedule but are always willing to accommodate. For example, serving a dinner service FCO-ATL when departure is at 9:50am is a little odd to me, and the FAs were happy to serve me later in the flight. (And, I've had dinner service at the same weird times with other airlines, too - so I don't think that is a DL-only thing?)
  • Change fees and etc are annoying, but many airlines have that. DL seems generous on waiving those, and since they alter schedules by a few minutes even a month or two out from your flight, you can often tweak your itinerary for free. Another airline changed the departure time on me by 45 minutes and I was told there was nothing they could do.

Anyway, you get the point. This is ALL anecdotal evidence, and I'm certainly viewing things from a biased point of view of flying with them almost exclusively in J and F for a while.

What are some things you dislike about DL when compared to other airlines? Please keep them to consistent issues; I didn't mention any once-off "great" experiences I had with them, only highlighted some of the consistent things that seem like DL is a quality product. So please do the same from the other point of view.

I think you may have experienced what happens a lot in complaints against businesses that the general public doesn't understand. You as an aviation enthusiast likely knows a lot more about the airline industry and so you will know what to expect and you'll understand a lot of how the airline operates so the typical problems that are out of DL or anyone else's control you simply ignore, as you should.

After working the complaints department in an industry that most people don't understand, I can tell you that the majority of our complaints came from people that expected things to work a certain way or expected certain offerings before they even booked the ticket that were in reality never available... not because of "lack of service" but because that's just not how it works, and has worked, but they just didn't know that.

Watching how airlines and the industry are portrayed on TV and movies makes it very clear that most people have no idea how an airline is really run day to day, and have incorrect expectations that translate into a negative experience when none had occurred. Hence why your example of that group you encountered seemed so strange to you. It's also the reason why many people will claim an airline like Emirates is great without ever having flown them... Hearsay works.

Best thing to do, however, is to not listen to the every day opinions from most unfrequent travelers since their perceptions are often wrong and biased and instead focus on statistics overall to determine the real performance of each airline.

Not surprisingly, many people will come to an airport ready to expect a bad experience if they've heard a friend or relative had one, which too creates a situation where nothing can be done correctly regardless (likely what happened with your group example).

I hope my explanation makes sense.

vhtje

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

I have nothing against DL. I am sure they are a lovely airline with dedicated, professional and excellent staff who serve their customers well. (And, probably, a small minority of staff who serve their customers less well.) I am sure their aircraft are safe and comfortable. In other words: I am pretty certain that the DL experience is very similar to AA and UA. Small things may differ - DL better here, AA better there - of course, but on the whole I am certain DL compete well.

But I have never flown them so I cannot be sure. Why have I never flown them? Pragmatically, for two reasons. Firstly, they are in the wrong alliance for me. Secondly my US travel tends to focus around ORD, SFO, JFK and LAX, between these cities and between these cities and London. So, as routes go, whilst I might be able to use DL, they are not DL strongholds so DL will not be as convenient.

But the REAL reason I avoid DL is because of the legion of DL fanboys on this site who turn EVERY topic into a DL lovefest. Topic on Concorde service to Barbados? Someone, usually within 5 replies of the topic start, will mention DL and how DL would have had the best Concorde service, like EVER, if only DL had ordered Concorde. Then someone will mention in reply about how DL did evaluate Concorde and then BANG the thread is off and the thread has been hijacked by the DL fanboys once again. It is just too sick-making, and as a result I will never, ever, set foot on a DL aircraft.

But like I said, I am sure they are a wonderful airline.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

global2

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 pm

[*]Domestically, DL's upgrades are a nice perk. I wouldn't pay full F fare for a ticket. But getting a free upgrade, and getting it in a fair, orderly way, is a nice perk.
[*]DL miles, for all the crap they get, seem valuable to me. One US-Europe round-trip, maybe with another hop on a SkyTeam partner, in J can be enough for my wife and I to fly ATL-ANC round-trip for free. I'm not sure what EK and SQ have from a rewards standpoint, but Delta catches a lot of flak for their SkyMiles; but the rewards seem decent.
[

From 2000 up until a couple years ago I used to fly a lot internationally which was great for racking up miles and achieving status: Gold, and evenutally Platinum on AA, and once I made Silver on DL. Upgrading on AA was relatively easy, either for free, or using miles. Redeeming miles for travel always seemed to work easily enough, whenever I chose to fly. DL on the other hand never gave me a single upgrade--not once in all that time. Whenever I did try to use my Skypesos there never seemed to be any availability. I know it may seem whiny to complain about never having got a free upgrade, but I'm simply comparing my experience on one airline vs. another.
But what bothers me about DL the most is that it is the industry leader when it comes to lowering the bar as far as FF programs go. They are always finding new ways to devalue the program which sadly causes the other airlines to follow suit. Revenue-based miles is one example. And with the current AA management, I fear they will try to give DL a run for its money when it comes to downgrading the FF program further.

On the flying front, I will say that I flew JFK--SEA recently in Y+: AA on the outbound, DL on the return. DL was more generous as far as snacks.

Planesmart

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
It's also the reason why many people will claim an airline like Emirates is great without ever having flown them...(.

Or why even more people on here will claim an airline like Emirates is bad, when they have never flown on them. Or claim to be well travelled internationally, when their 'international' experience is Mexico, Canada and flying to the 50th state.

aerorobnz

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 pm

First and foremost because in domestic first or Skyteam Gold they won't allow access to the lounge. I find this very poor in terms of not even offering a quiet place to sit. I don't expect flash for domestic.

Y class is better, than their domestic competition but it's all relative to UA/AA so the bar isn't high.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

KLDC10

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm a big fan of Delta. I think, as others have posted, lots of passengers complain about things outside the control of any airline. This is not restricted to Delta - just take a look at some online reviews of American, United, even the "5-Star" airlines have their share of bad reviews too. I must say that a similar attitude does seem to appear on A.Net from certain posters sometimes, though this is probably just a case of people having their particular favorite airline - you can find posts slinging mud at United and American too.

From my experience, flying on Delta is consistently pleasurable - I've yet to have a bad flight, or receive bad service. Most of my flying with Delta is in Domestic First, though I have also sampled Domestic and Transatlantic Economy, so I'm reporting from a wide experience.

As @aerorobnz points out, the lack of lounge access when flying Domestic First is really quite annoying. Having bought a First Class ticket, I'm not willing to shell out even more money for lounge access - I did once, back when lounge passes were transferable between airports on the same day and I had a long day of travel, but that was the only time. I probably wouldn't even consider it now that you have to buy a new pass for each airport you visit on a particular day. However, Delta is not unique in this regard, and it is an area in which the US3 really disappoint. I had the same experience flying First on United, and, per their website, American enforces the same policy.

The lounge issue aside, Delta staff are consistently friendly, happy to help and show pride in their company. Catering is good - both in Domestic First and International Economy, and I absolutely recommend flying with them.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

jetblueguy22

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:08 pm

global2 wrote:
[

From 2000 up until a couple years ago I used to fly a lot internationally which was great for racking up miles and achieving status: Gold, and evenutally Platinum on AA, and once I made Silver on DL. Upgrading on AA was relatively easy, either for free, or using miles. Redeeming miles for travel always seemed to work easily enough, whenever I chose to fly. DL on the other hand never gave me a single upgrade--not once in all that time. Whenever I did try to use my Skypesos there never seemed to be any availability. I know it may seem whiny to complain about never having got a free upgrade, but I'm simply comparing my experience on one airline vs. another.
But what bothers me about DL the most is that it is the industry leader when it comes to lowering the bar as far as FF programs go. They are always finding new ways to devalue the program which sadly causes the other airlines to follow suit. Revenue-based miles is one example. And with the current AA management, I fear they will try to give DL a run for its money when it comes to downgrading the FF program further.

On the flying front, I will say that I flew JFK--SEA recently in Y+: AA on the outbound, DL on the return. DL was more generous as far as snacks.

Unless you're Diamond on DL upgrades are very hard to come by these days.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 pm

For me the biggest problem recently with DL has been a lot of gate agents (and to a lesser degree counter agents) with really bad attitudes. They are under a lot of pressure, especially on D0, and it shows. Lounge crowding is also a big issue in some cities. I can't recall the last time I had anything but top-notch service onboard.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AAlaxfan

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:47 pm

I recently completed my second RT to MKE. One was DL LAX-MSP-MKE-MSP-LAX. The other was AA LGB-PHX-MKE-PHX-LGB. Here's my take: THey were both great and sucked. The DL flights were on better aircraft B757, DC9, B737, B757 all with IFE, WIFI and power except the DC9. AA had CRJ900 and A320. The CRJ had the most comfortable seating than any of the other aircraft but no WIFI. The A320 was LUS and had WIFI. but no power or IFE, which to me is unacceptable. FA's for all flights were friendly, attentive and pleasent. AA had better catering as my DL meals were lacking in substance. Connecting was the biggest issue I had with DL. I had delay free connections with AA with plenty of hold room space in PHX. In MSP not only were the connections delayed, 1 hour outbound, 1.5 hours return, but the hold room space in MSP is completely inadequate in the G concourse.

With this in mind, here's why I don't like DL. Hold rooms, catering, it's constant self praise ( I don't like chest thumping egoists), and the fanboys on this site that say it can do no wrong. I think this, the chest thumping and fanboy-ism, is the major reason people on this site dislike DL. My problem with AA. Inconsistent hard products.

Anyway you look at it, both have positives, both have negatives. My money will still go to the one with the better schedule / price combination, as long as I'm not connecting in MSP!
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

spacecadet

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:54 am

DL is a weird airline in that they do a lot of things right and a lot of other things really, really wrong. I think of them as almost like the Apple (the iPhone company) of airlines - some people love them, some people absolutely hate them, and both camps have perfectly valid reasons for their opinions. It really depends on how and why you use them, and how often you have to interact with them.

I fly them quite a bit, personally, because they're the only local airline other than JetBlue to consistently offer economy plus (Economy Comfort+) on most flights. And I use their lounges too, with my AMEX card. Generally I find their hard product to be pretty good, although I feel like 35" of seat pitch in EC+ is a little stingy compared to JetBlue's EMS. I like the lounges too, although the food in Orlando was definitely subpar. But generally, good.

The few big criticisms of them that I have, though, are:

a) Delta SkyMiles is basically a useless program unless you are an *extremely* frequent flier. I've basically given up on *ever* using it, even when transferring my AMEX points. Their award tickets are ridiculously expensive and their status levels impossible to attain for anyone but real road warriors. I guess you can argue that they've just given the words "frequent flier program" real meaning, but it's not at all competitive with their... er, competitors.

b) They took *forever* to give me the promised travel vouchers for delaying me by *twelve hours* the day they had that big computer meltdown. I don't understand why it would take them a month to verify that I was on one of the affected flights. That ended up costing me money because I had booked another trip (hotel, rental car, other reservations) in the meantime based on that promise, and I ended up having to buy the plane tickets. I really have a feeling this was intentional on their part to try to make back some of that money from people like me.

c) Before I got my AMEX Platinum card that gives me lounge access automatically, I purchased a first class domestic ticket at full fare from the DL web site, and I *could not get in* to their lounge at JFK! WTF is that?! That is straight up nonsense. (I'd use a different word if I wasn't trying to be polite.) There is *no situation* in which a first class ticket holder should not be able to get into the airline lounge. Every single first class ticket holder should have access to the lounge, regardless of where they're flying or who they bought their ticket from. I even bought mine through the airline itself! What the hell does "first class" even mean?!

In general I feel like they are real tightwads. They try to weasel every dime out of you that they can get, and then they give you as little as possible in return. In many cases you *can't* even buy their best service! When I bought my first class JFK-FLL ticket, *how* could I have actually purchased access to the Sky Lounge? I couldn't! I bought the best ticket I could. That is 100% ridiculous.

I still fly with them because I need comfort and they fly where I need to go, and now I can get in to their lounges *thanks to AMEX*. But it's not hard for me to understand why some people would hate them.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

UltimateDelta

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:19 am

As my username might suggest, I definitely consider myself a fan of DL. That said, I can easily think of a few things that annoy me about them:

-The fact that Comfort+ is now its own fare class. Admittedly, I was recently offered the opportunity to buy it for a relatively decent price for an upcoming trip, but I preferred being able to do it whenever I felt like it, and usually for cheaper than it is now

-The excessive availability of priority boarding. The few times I've flown in Y+ and gotten it, it's offered zero benefit because it seems like half the people on the plane have gotten it, as well. At the very least, I feel like it should be more expensive to purchase for the cabins that don't automatically get it.

-SkyMiles. In general, I don't have too many complaints, since award tickets between OMA and SLC (where I fly the most) aren't all that expensive. It would be nice if you would at least get MQMs on award tickets, though, because:
spacecadet wrote:
their status levels impossible to attain for anyone but real road warriors

I also can't figure out how they calculate the MQDs; it seems to be an arbitrary number that is, of course, considerably less than whatever the fare was (excluding taxes, obviously).

As far as the onboard experience goes, I really have no complaints there, and I really enjoy the Delta app. As long as they remain a convenient and decent-value option for getting where I need to go, I'm more than happy to stick with them!

*One last thing, not that it's a major issue: the "experiences" that you can bid on with miles are really lame. I think a tour of TechOps would be a way cooler way to spend them than sitting in a box at a Yankees game or getting on the VIP list at a nightclub or whatever else they come up with.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

chiawei

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:10 am

1. I think Delta J seat in the 777 is narrow and horrible. KE apex seat are better. But delta is getting new seat for business class. So this could change soon.

2. Delta J food is better than other US airlines. But to say it's better than KE or AF is absurd.

I usually take Delta once in a blue moon. But they are just slightly better than UA/AA. Certainly no match to Asian carriers.

Lastly, Korean Air attendant are much better in their presentation to the passenger.

JFK31R

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Delta is a fine, reliable airline. I just don't find them to be such a great value for my travel needs.

I do find the CR9 to be rather uncomfortable, and they fly A LOT of those on east coast routes that are mainline on most other carriers.

usdcaguy

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Everyone has been posting very interesting replies for this. I would say that DL is an excellent domestic carrier. To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I was delayed more than 15 minutes on one of their flights, and recently, I have loved the fact that they have been paying so much attention to D0. Also love their Economy Comfort+ product and friendly flight attendants. Knowing that I'm pushing back on time really makes me think highly of whomever I'm flying, and I really like getting in 5-10 minutes earlier than scheduled. That said, here are some issues that could be addressed:

1 - Staff at hub airports can seem incredibly distracted at the gate and unprepared to help you. If you have any kind of problem, like needing to be put on the standby list or wanting to make a change, they often need to ask someone else, and usually that other person is busy and walks away from the podium at the moment you ask for help. Red coats are often either nowhere to be found or are too busy to help you. The gate interaction experience differs wildly from carriers like AA, where many of the agents seem more professional and with it.

2 - The screens displaying standby lists at the gate are not fast enough. They have too many ads and PSAs that slow down the changing of standby lists to cleared lists so you have to wait forever to see your name.

3 - There is no plan to install PTVs across the entire fleet. Having stuff on DL Studio to watch is nice if you have a device to use it, but you have to have it with you, and you have to have the battery charged and a set of headphones.

These are just some annoyances, but they fact that they are annoyances and not major problems is already a good thing. Although I do prefer J class service on AF to J class on DL, I do like the friendly, laid-back flight attendants on Delta, especially at night when you might want a few more cocktails, bottles of water, etc. to make the flight more comfortable.