Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Which is the better airport: DEN vs DTW?

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:02 am

Having recently flown into both back to back, I have to say I am both impressed and surprised at how similar they are:

Both have a "stacked" style, making them operationally efficient and easily accessible for turnarounds.

Both have numerous runways oriented for optimal flexibility with weather and wind, due to northern locations.

Both are large hub airports, and are easily the best hubs in the US, for DL and UA, and are open and clean.

So, which is better and why? This is not scientific or anything, just a point to point comparison, thanks!

N809FR

Re: Which is the better airport: DEN vs DTW?

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:15 am

DEN is the better airport, though DTW is a very well run facility. DTW without NW/DL wouldn't be nearly the airport it is in terms of destinations, whereas DEN has two strong "hub/focus city" airlines as well as a plethora of competition despite F9's recent drawback.

ikolkyo

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:46 am

Better in what way? There are many parts of an airport that can be very good or bad.

Capt.Fantastic

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:58 am

These are different airports serving different parts of the country. They each have their own advantages, but I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other.
For destinations within the USA, DEN offers much more variety.
For international travel, DTW offers more non-stops to more places

In terms of overall facilities, I personally prefer DTW.
IMHO, DTW is the best place to make connections in the USA.

PEK777

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:22 am

This should be in the 'travel polls and preferences' section and the original poster should be banned for violation of the forum rules. Mods, please move to the appropriate forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and for keeping the civil aviation forum civil and free of opinions.

N809FR

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:27 am

PEK777 wrote:
This should be in the 'travel polls and preferences' section and the original poster should be banned for violation of the forum rules. Mods, please move to the appropriate forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and for keeping the civil aviation forum civil and free of opinions.

Banned? Seems a little harsh, granted that is only my opinion, much like most posts on this website.

jetblue777

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:28 am

PEK777 wrote:

Alright, relax yourself.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:53 am

"Being in a northern location" has mothing to do with the runway configurations and whatnot.

compensateme

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:55 am

DEN was an all-new airport, DTW was built on an existing footprint for cost & efficiency and lacks much of the aesthetic appeal DEN offers. In fairness, construction cost swelled in the late 1990s and accelerated in the 2000s. Had DIA been planned a decade later, it likely would've been cost inefficient to the point that Stapleton may have been renovated instead.

N809FR wrote:
DEN is the better airport, though DTW is a very well run facility. DTW without NW/DL wouldn't be nearly the airport it is in terms of destinations, whereas DEN has two strong "hub/focus city" airlines as well as a plethora of competition despite F9's recent drawback.

Sometimes I wonder about the comments people make on here. Hubs inflate service -- that's kinda what they're suppose to do. This includes DTW, ATL and of course DEN.

FWIW, DTW planned a midfield terminal in the early 1980s but couldn't garner support amongst the incumbent airlines, whose sweetheart lease didn't expire until 2008. Even in a fantasy world in which DTW was not a hub facility, new facilities would've undoubtedly been constructed for opening in 2008, just as the North Terminal was (the reason construction was delayed several years is because DTW couldn't convince incumbent airlines to exit their leases early).

flyguy89

Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:30 am

From a passenger perspective I've always preferred DTW. DEN is a great facility, but in my experience it's so large that it seems like many of the gates are a good hike from the concessions area. Purely subjective, but DTW just seems to have concessions more spread out and they never seem too far from my gates.

WA707atMSP

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:51 am

When I have a tight connection, I far prefer DTW, because the in-terminal monorail makes it a lot faster to get from one end of the terminal to the other. The gap between moving sidewalks at the center of the main DL concourse is also a lot smaller at DTW than it is at UA's concourse in DEN.

When I have a longer layover, I prefer DEN because of the sky bridge between the A Concourse and the ticketing area, which is my favorite place to spot. As others have said on another thread, the dots on the glass at DTW make photography from inside the terminal very difficult.

SuseJ772

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I have flown the DEN market more time than I can count from many different markets I have lived it. Just last week I flew into DTW from TPA for the first time and I have to say I am really impressed with DTW. It is a beautiful airport and I felt very well run too.

I would say they are pretty equal EXCEPT now that DEN has the light rail, that might push it over for me. But still, DTW was great. Way better than I expected.

OzarkD9S

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 pm

Well last year I took my Mom to BTV for her birthday (October) and to see the fall foilage. Booked UA STL-EWR-BTV-ORD-STL. At STL UA called me to the podium. They needed to get crew members to EWR and offered to re-book us on DL STL-DTW-BTV in exchange for $600 worth of vouchers EACH! How could I say no? Of course we gated at the ass end of B and had to get to the opposite ass end of A. The A train in the terminal was inoperative. Mom was 80 and slowing down a bit and it was a LONG haul for us. I would give DEN the thumbs up vs. DTW on the connecting issue as UA is in a single, albeit long concourse there. I would give them equal ratings on amenities airside, but DEN does have the smoking rooms upstairs to pacify my filthy habit.