BTVB6Flyer

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed May 03, 2017 3:15 am

Has anyone heard of any new future stations or new routes away from the hub?

I've also found it interesting that the CVG-TPA-CVG flights the 2x daily; are almsot on top of eachother and than you have the BWI-TPA-BWI route in the middle of the night.

Any rhyme or reason to this or just simply fleet utilization?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 4:41 am

I have heard a number of speculated stations, but nothing reliable about what's next. BWI isn't really "new" in the sense of serving new territory. It's a way of adding 4 flights to that area, flights that ABE would have trouble handling with its existing cargo ramp and building. As noted in more detail above, ABE is geographically-better for certain services to the New York area, while BWI had some immediately-available space on the ramp and indoors and is close enough for a lot of things. ABE's ramp and building were struggling with 5 daily flights, at least given their arrival and departure times, so adding 3 when they wanted them to arrive was out of the question. So Amazon reduced ABE to 4, and put four at BWI.

Really "new" areas would be something like MSP, MSY, MCI/STL, MIA/PBI/FLL, ATL, etc., in my humble view.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 am

Photo of the next GTI aircraft after conversion. N1229A. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8575730

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 7:10 am

Photo of the next GTI aircraft after conversion. N1229A. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8575730

Should be leaving for HHN then RME later today.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am

N1229A is on its way from TLV as GTI9623. I think it's stopping at HHN on the way. Then presumably to KRME for paint.

WAGermanPilot

Wed May 03, 2017 6:29 pm

wjcandee wrote:
N1229A is on its way from TLV as GTI9623. I think it's stopping at HHN on the way. Then presumably to KRME for paint.

Interesting

Do you have any info on the ATN birds sitting in TLV? I know of the winglet ones, 1 will be sent into the Amazon network. 2 are going to be pure ATN birds.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 7:24 pm

WAGermanPilot wrote:

Do you have any info on the ATN birds sitting in TLV? I know of the winglet ones, 1 will be sent into the Amazon network. 2 are going to be pure ATN birds.

Here are the CAM-owned aircraft in conversion (all at TLV).

371AA (to be 353AZ) should be out of conversion by the end of May, maybe a tad sooner. So figure optimistically mid-June for painting and indoc.

337AZ (was 386AA) is about two weeks later than that. (Winglet-equipped.)

370AA should be done by early July. (May be for a non-Amazon customer of CAM.)

395CM (was 378AN) should be out in early August. Confirmed ATI-livery spare in support of Amazon contract. (Winglet-equipped.)

386AA (to be 396CM) should be out by the end of August. For ATI, for spare/charter/AMC-charter.

382AN should be done by the beginning of October. Not assigned yet to a customer; if Amazon wants it, I'm sure they can have it (which is likely the case with all of these aircraft except maybe 370AA).

372AA is I think still at ILN, having arrived about a month ago. CAM brought it out of the desert a couple of days before 382AN (using the same crew to fly it), but 382 ended up going to TLV a few days later whereas 372AA is still at ILN. It had some issues at ROW, causing a couple-of-day delay in bringing it up from ROW, and then it experienced a cracked windshield and some other stuff on the way to ILN. Acey said it also would be getting an engine change or two. I didn't think it would take a month for AMES at ILN to get it ready to fly to TLV, but I guess it has (or IAI/Bedek isn't ready to receive it now, but then why pull it from the desert so soon after buying it from Jetran?). Eventually, it will be going to TLV for conversion, which takes roughly six months, give or take a few weeks. I am not aware of it having been assigned yet to a customer.

For perspective on conversion length of time, most of the CAM aircraft took just about 6 months to convert, all at TLV. Two came out of conversion at TLV in 5 months (396AX/347AZ and 359AZ), but one of them then spent over a month at ILN to have an AD done. Conversely, the latest Atlas conversion from TLV was there a bit over 7 months. Atlas is using both TLV (BDSF) and QPG (BCF) conversion houses. Some of the Atlas aircraft going through the shop at QPG have been converted in well-under 5 months. (1217A, for example, was done in 4-months-and-a-week after arrival.)

bravoindia

Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but 371AA should be the only one on wills last post for the sake of copy for the length, that does not have winglets?
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 am

bravoindia wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but 371AA should be the only one on wills last post for the sake of copy for the length, that does not have winglets?

Correct, almost. The one that will be 396cm doesn't have winglets, either. The confusion is my fault, because I was tired and typoed the donor aircraft as 386AA, which has winglets and will become 337AZ. The correct donor aircraft for 396CM is 368AA, which doesn't have winglets.

Whiplash6

Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 am

Does anyone have any more info on if/when service will begin to Opa Locka?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 am

Whiplash6 wrote:
Does anyone have any more info on if/when service will begin to Opa Locka?

OPF is well-located for Amazon's facilities in South Florida, and has a longer main runway than ABE, for example. I was under the impression, though, from something I read a while back, that it was out of consideration for a variety of reasons, including existing NIMBY issues, no 3rd shift in the tower, etc., etc. But if you're hearing about it again, maybe that has changed.

I'm also not sure how far along they have come with the very-political 900K sq ft warehouse project on county-owned land at the airport. The land has long been leased in a sweetheart deal to the foundation of a former congresswoman which was unsuccessfully trying to develop it with a politically-connected local developer. The whole thing was about to crater when the foundation didn't meat its deadlines to get something going -- and then along came Amazon. From a distance, the whole development backstory seems a little stinky, but I guess Amazon doesn't need to worry about that as long as the competence level of its landlord is high enough to produce the facility it wants, and its connections to this group should put it in the good graces of certain political sects. And in fact, maybe these connections will incline the locals to quiet the NIMBYs. Me, personally, I don't like to get involved with these kinds of deals because there is signfiicant potential for hassles of myriad kinds, but I assume that Amazon knows what it's doing.

yochai

Thu May 04, 2017 1:54 pm

N1229A is on the way back to IAI Bedek fro HHN and should land in TLV in a few minutes as GTI9602...probably major mx issue. The frame was in a horrible shape to begin with, no surprise it took longer than others to be converted, and now this.

Whiplash6

Thu May 04, 2017 5:28 pm

yochai wrote:
N1229A is on the way back to IAI Bedek fro HHN and should land in TLV in a few minutes as GTI9602...probably major mx issue. The frame was in a horrible shape to begin with, no surprise it took longer than others to be converted, and now this.

I believe it's unable to pump fuel from the center tanks, which is a problem.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm

yochai wrote:

Do you have any photos of it? I found this, but I would rather post yours (and, of course, one from Anet)...

Jetfixr757

Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 pm

It seems lots are quick to speculate but none have facts. IAI does not have an STC for winglet equipped 767-300's. So for now all stop on that. 1229A did not have a pump issue. That's all i have to say.
Jet

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Jetfixr757 wrote:
It seems lots are quick to speculate but none have facts. IAI does not have an STC for winglet equipped 767-300's. So for now all stop on that. 1229A did not have a pump issue. That's all i have to say.
Jet

Thanks for the update, Jet. I think we were "speculating" about delivery dates on the WL 767s based on the expectation that the winglet issue was under control, as were the companies that have sent WL 767s to TLV for conversion. None of the customers have yet announced or even internally-communicated an expectation that delivery dates will slip. Based on your post, maybe that is coming? Or maybe IAI solves the problem.

IAI had expected the winglet STC to come through in Feb 2017, and its marketing materials and public communications reflect the ability (subject to approval) to do that work. And there has been an STC for BCF winglets since something like 2009, both for adding the winglets to BCFs and for BCF conversions of frames that already have winglets. This means that there are potential solutions if IAI has run into insurmountable problems, which I doubt.

If you want to give us more color on this, great. If not, that's okay, too.

Whiplash6

Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Jetfixr757 wrote:
Jet

Oh my fault. I guess I misunderstood the crew. Maybe "inop" means something different in Europe. Carry on, mechanic.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 pm

ATSG's first-quarter earnings report says 9 767-300s were awaiting or undergoing conversion as of March 31, 2017, including two purchased in the first quarter. http://www.atsginc.com/Press-Releases/2 ... -05-03.pdf

If we count two as having been delivered since then, I think we have accounted for all of them in post 1107 and my subsequent correction of tail numbers (my second reference to 386 being a typo where I meant 368). Oddly, Loadstar says that ATSG reported 10 in conversion as of 3/31/17, which seems at odds with the press release they quoted.

Newbiepilot

Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Whiplash6 wrote:
yochai wrote:

I believe it's unable to pump fuel from the center tanks, which is a problem.

Is that the only reason why they went back to TLV? Would it have been caused by work done in the conversion process?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Huh. Seems like Amazon is looking for a passionate, experienced advocate to interface with its carriers, monitor their performance, and deploy carrots and sticks as required. They already have an internal group to monitor the carriers, but it looks like they want a talented, respected person who can speak the language (and who understands what goes into the sausage) to be their voice. It's the kind of job that I, for one, think would be really fun. Of course, it also means, I think, that they don't think the carriers' performance is as good as it could be. Otherwise, they would be leaving the air component as an externally-operating black box into which you pour cargo at one end and have it come out the other end on time.

Job posting: https://www.amazon.jobs/jobs/526440

bravoindia

Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am

Abe will have at least 2 maybe 3 flights added by end of month and at least one by Atlas. We'll see, maybe someone else knows different.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

Jetfixr757

Sat May 06, 2017 7:55 am

Whiplash6 wrote:
Jetfixr757 wrote:
Jet

Oh my fault. I guess I misunderstood the crew. Maybe "inop" means something different in Europe. Carry on, mechanic.

You did not get the full story.....They were operative my source tells me the jettison pump breakers were pulled.
Jet

travaz

Sat May 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Does anyone know if they are running a schedule on the weekends? I have an order that is coming from the east coast (I am in PHX) and it is scheduled for delivery Sunday. I was curious to know if they are going to operate 7 days a week.

Acey559

Sat May 06, 2017 3:58 pm

travaz wrote:
Does anyone know if they are running a schedule on the weekends? I have an order that is coming from the east coast (I am in PHX) and it is scheduled for delivery Sunday. I was curious to know if they are going to operate 7 days a week.

Yes, the operation runs seven days a week. I'm not sure if every area has home delivery on Sunday, but I can tell you for sure that the air operation runs every day.

BTVB6Flyer

Sat May 06, 2017 4:54 pm

3x Daily today being run on CVG-TPA-CVG

WAGermanPilot

Sat May 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Looks like today's Atlas flight from CVG to ONT is being operated on N1217A.

WAGermanPilot

Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Jetfixr757 wrote:
Jet

Thanks for the update, Jet. I think we were "speculating" about delivery dates on the WL 767s based on the expectation that the winglet issue was under control, as were the companies that have sent WL 767s to TLV for conversion. None of the customers have yet announced or even internally-communicated an expectation that delivery dates will slip. Based on your post, maybe that is coming? Or maybe IAI solves the problem.

IAI had expected the winglet STC to come through in Feb 2017, and its marketing materials and public communications reflect the ability (subject to approval) to do that work. And there has been an STC for BCF winglets since something like 2009, both for adding the winglets to BCFs and for BCF conversions of frames that already have winglets. This means that there are potential solutions if IAI has run into insurmountable problems, which I doubt.

If you want to give us more color on this, great. If not, that's okay, too.

Does this apply to those aircraft already equipped with winglets?

georgiabill

Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Has Amazon selected an airport or airports for flights into New England? Hoping they would consider MHT, but the area lost out for a distribution center site

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 8:26 pm

WAGermanPilot wrote:

Yeah, they would need an STC to convert aircraft that have winglets, and they would need an STC to add winglets to already-converted aircraft.

APB and Boeing got an STC years ago that addressed both. So, right now, QPC can convert aircraft with winglets into BCFs.

IAI/Bedek started the process of getting an STC to do the former, some time ago. They did a prototype conversion that was to go to DHL. N284DH, ln 28040. The STC was expected in February, and they have been accepting aircraft with winglets for conversion in anticipation of having that STC. That's the last time I saw anything on it; guess I will have to do some research to see if there is anything out there publicly on the issue. EDIT: Okay, did a little research. The converted aircraft was doing test flights as recently as 3 weeks ago. April 12 seems to be the most recent. So I guess it's still in progress, or the tests were done and submitted and now they are waiting. I just don't know.

Yochai? Any color on this? Last we heard, you mentioned that it hadn't been sent yet to DHL because of missing paperwork from the prior owners. Nothing about lack of an STC for the conversion. I frankly had assumed that the STC had come through and it just hadn't been publicized...
Last edited by wjcandee on Sat May 06, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Acey559

Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
georgiabill wrote:
Has Amazon selected an airport or airports for flights into New England? Hoping they would consider MHT, but the area lost out for a distribution center site

Nothing yet. I'd heard BOS a while back but that doesn't jive with their penchant for using smaller airports. MHT would be great, I like that area a lot. PSM could well be an option also but I'm just speculating as I don't know where the distribution/fulfillment centers are. I've been hearing for a while that DEN, MSP and SLC are on the short list for service, but nothing to substantiate that outside of crew room banter.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Shifting topics.

Question for pilots and loadmasters: How is the operation at CVG going? Is it like it was typically for Amazon, where you walk out to an aircraft that is loaded, fueled and buttoned-up? Or is it the usual DHL last-minute-this and last-minute-that, while you sit in the pointy end waiting?

Same question about the new day sort.

cvgComair

Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 pm

N1399A has left KMZJ, says its bound for KCVG, but the flightplan shows it going to EDFH.
Next: CVG-CDG-ATH (Delta Air Lines B767-300ER, Air France A319)
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 10:20 pm

cvgComair wrote:
N1399A has left KMZJ, says its bound for KCVG, but the flightplan shows it going to EDFH.

It was going to go nonstop to HHN and then to TLV for conversion. However, it was diverted in flight to CVG. Could be for any number of reasons.

Maybe you can get a photo with whatever of Mega Global Air's livery is left on it... Definitely one we don't see much in these parts...

MajMattMason

Sun May 07, 2017 1:37 am

wjcandee wrote:
Shifting topics.

Question for pilots and loadmasters: How is the operation at CVG going? Is it like it was typically for Amazon, where you walk out to an aircraft that is loaded, fueled and buttoned-up? Or is it the usual DHL last-minute-this and last-minute-that, while you sit in the pointy end waiting?

I've worked three flight out of CVG, and each one was an hour plus late. In typical DHL fashion, they are trying to reinvent the wheel and come up with their own loading procedures. ILN Loadmasters and rampers have tried to make time saving suggestions, but they have fallen on deaf ears.

FX1816

Sun May 07, 2017 1:56 am

We have the winglet equipped 767 for Atlas here today at ONT, it looks great. Pretty cool to see 4 planes over at the old terminal with 3 of them being painted in Prime Air colors.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 am

MajMattMason wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Shifting topics.

I've worked three flight out of CVG, and each one was an hour plus late. In typical DHL fashion, they are trying to reinvent the wheel and come up with their own loading procedures. ILN Loadmasters and rampers have tried to make time saving suggestions, but they have fallen on deaf ears.

Well, this was exactly what I expected was going to happen. DHL never learned from their business killing fiasco at ILN when they wouldn't listen and tried to do every stupid thing their way on one single weekend, and they lost billions of dollars as a result when they had to shut down their domestic operation after their customers fled.

Maybe Amazon will now get a glimpse of what they are doing to themselves by climbing into bed with the Deutsche Dummkopfs.

I think Amazon started the CVG operation without a sort, thinking "How bad could it be? It's just a Cross Dock operation now." I think the answer is that it can be pretty darn bad. Wait until they start sorting.
Last edited by wjcandee on Sun May 07, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiplash6

Sun May 07, 2017 2:26 am

Jetfixr757 wrote:
Whiplash6 wrote:
Jetfixr757 wrote:
Jet

You did not get the full story.....They were operative my source tells me the jettison pump breakers were pulled.
Jet

That would explain the center tank filling up with unusable fuel.

WAGermanPilot

Sun May 07, 2017 3:52 am

FX1816 wrote:
We have the winglet equipped 767 for Atlas here today at ONT, it looks great. Pretty cool to see 4 planes over at the old terminal with 3 of them being painted in Prime Air colors.

I love how it looks. First thought it was UPS coming in.

Also got 313AZ for ATN. Haven't seen that one before. Fleet is growing slowly.

BTVB6Flyer

Sun May 07, 2017 4:07 am

Does anyone know if CVG-TPA is going to stay 3x daily? The latest flight, aircraft wise came into TPA from HRL.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 4:38 am

FX1816 wrote:

And it's only going to grow at ONT.

I like the way it looks, but I would love to see either a yellow smile or a yellow A on there. Maybe it's too small for that. But I am hoping, as another member expressed, to see the ATI globe on the ATI-painted one that is upcoming in a few months.

PS From the photos I have now seen, it looks as if that aircraft, 1217A, was in fact painted in QPG before it left for the US. The TLV-converted ones have been painted in the US.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 7:21 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Does anyone know if CVG-TPA is going to stay 3x daily? The latest flight, aircraft wise came into TPA from HRL.

Actually, I think it went to CVG and then to TPA and then home to CVG. n744AX

I think that third flight down, ABX4413, was an extra section for some reason, given that the flight number is variation of the normal ABX3413 CVG-TPA. Not so sure what coming back was, under a 6000-series flight number. I'm not sure you are going to see the three flights every day. I think for now the regular schedule is the 767-300 on Atlas and the 767-200 on ABX.

ABX doesn't "assign" aircraft to Amazon per se, although certain aircraft more regularly do the Amazon flights, which makes following them a little more difficult.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 7:30 am

bravoindia wrote:
Abe will have at least 2 maybe 3 flights added by end of month and at least one by Atlas. We'll see, maybe someone else knows different.

That's great news if true. They will have to be outside your cargo rush hour, but, if so, it would seem that they could be accommodated on the ramp and maybe by the building. Maybe they are coming up with some more building space.

Atlas was pretty-clearly out of there for now, so it would be interesting to see them come back so soon.

Three new flights by the end of the month would seem to require some creative utilization of the existing fleet, or additional flights being given to ABX, because the rest of the current fleet has at least one route per day, plus 2 767-300 spares and one 767-200 ATI spare. I suppose the spares could be reduced, but unless some additional utilization of the existing fleet is planned (or more ABX flights), there is nothing coming aboard in the next couple of weeks that I am aware of, especially given that the latest Atlas aircraft from TLV just went back for additional work and likely is not yet painted. If there is one coming soon from QPG, then those are apparently arriving already-painted, but would still take a little bit to put into revenue service.

Regardless, it is great news that you are getting more service at ABE.

yochai

Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 am

wjcandee wrote:
WAGermanPilot wrote:

Yeah, they would need an STC to convert aircraft that have winglets, and they would need an STC to add winglets to already-converted aircraft.

APB and Boeing got an STC years ago that addressed both. So, right now, QPC can convert aircraft with winglets into BCFs.

IAI/Bedek started the process of getting an STC to do the former, some time ago. They did a prototype conversion that was to go to DHL. N284DH, ln 28040. The STC was expected in February, and they have been accepting aircraft with winglets for conversion in anticipation of having that STC. That's the last time I saw anything on it; guess I will have to do some research to see if there is anything out there publicly on the issue. EDIT: Okay, did a little research. The converted aircraft was doing test flights as recently as 3 weeks ago. April 12 seems to be the most recent. So I guess it's still in progress, or the tests were done and submitted and now they are waiting. I just don't know.

Yochai? Any color on this? Last we heard, you mentioned that it hadn't been sent yet to DHL because of missing paperwork from the prior owners. Nothing about lack of an STC for the conversion. I frankly had assumed that the STC had come through and it just hadn't been publicized...

From a friend working for Bedek, they do seem to have some issues with the STC for winglet equipped 767's, but they should sort it out soon according to him.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 am

yochai wrote:
From a friend working for Bedek, they do seem to have some issues with the STC for winglet equipped 767's, but they should sort it out soon according to him.

Cool! Thanks for the authoritative update!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 am

So I looked at all the Sunday flights, and as a broad sweeping generalization, everything that bypasses CVG, and almost everything going TO CVG was on-time. However, virtually everything LEAVING CVG was late, by about an hour on average, often much more.

DHL has had a week to figure out how to do what the LGSTX crews at ILN did, and the LGSTX crews usually had the aircraft ready to go well before the departure time, in the best traditions of Airborne Express. Predictable, and sad. Me, personally, I would love to see the whole thing moved back to ILN, at least until Amazon's own sort facilities at CVG are ready, or maybe even chuck the whole CVG thing and see if the idiots on the Hooterville Airport Board, and the Ohio government, would play ball now.

If DHL can't run a simple cross-dock operation, as we expected they would have trouble doing, God forbid what is going to happen when they try to run a day sort.

flyDTW1992

Mon May 08, 2017 9:13 am

wjcandee wrote:
So I looked at all the Sunday flights, and as a broad sweeping generalization, everything that bypasses CVG, and almost everything going TO CVG was on-time. However, virtually everything LEAVING CVG was late, by about an hour on average, often much more.

Frequently the case with DHL ops as it is. Although usually more like 30 minutes to an hour. I wouldn't give up on them just yet as from what I hear they're still hiring for ground handling, and the increased volume for the station's ATSG and Atlas mechanics and ops personnel is naturally going to take a toll early on. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the AMZ delays at CVG thus far have had more to do with flight ops adjusting in a broader sense as opposed to solely DHL's ground handling.

There are just too many parties involved for it to be a seamless transition. DHL knows how that goes, and are slowly but surely learning to deal with the complexities of their ecosystem, but plugging AMZ into it will naturally create some hiccups off the bat.
Now you're flying smart

WAGermanPilot

Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 pm

wjcandee wrote:

DHL has had a week to figure out how to do what the LGSTX crews at ILN did, and the LGSTX crews usually had the aircraft ready to go well before the departure time, in the best traditions of Airborne Express. Predictable, and sad. Me, personally, I would love to see the whole thing moved back to ILN, at least until Amazon's own sort facilities at CVG are ready, or maybe even chuck the whole CVG thing and see if the idiots on the Hooterville Airport Board, and the Ohio government, would play ball now.

If DHL can't run a simple cross-dock operation, as we expected they would have trouble doing, God forbid what is going to happen when they try to run a day sort.

I have seen a lot of our ULD's not even in proper configuration. Nets loose. Not attached to the ULD properly. And you are right on flights late. My last CVG-ONT flight always goes late. Still haven't heard when we move from PAG/PAJ to the AAX can.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Small excerpt about the Amazon Cargo Ops at TPA from Tampa Bay Times. Includes apparent Cargo expansion and some incentives.

"Business is going well enough that LGSTX Services Inc., a firm under the same parent company as Air Transport Services, wants to lease additional warehouse space from the Tampa airport.

Hillsborough County Aviation Authority board members approved a proposal Thursday for LGSTX Services to take over the lease of a 7,680-square-foot cargo building from United Airlines to use for storage and the creation of pallets for packing and shipping. The lease, which extends to September 2018 and includes renewal options, will generate more than $91,000 in rent and fees annually.

In addition, board members agreed to change the language of the airport's air service incentive program to accommodate more domestic cargo freight business. The incentive program has been used mostly to lure new commercial airliners and flights to Tampa Bay, like the direct flight to Frankfurt, Germany, on Lufthansa and to Panama City, Panama on Copa Airlines. The airport waives fees and has written checks for marketing reimbursements through the program.

For cargo flights, the incentive program only allowed international carriers to participate. That changed Thursday when board members voted to revise the language to include incentives for all cargo air service."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/a ... rt/2322927

bravoindia

Tue May 09, 2017 3:32 pm

wjcandee wrote:
bravoindia wrote:

That's great news if true. They will have to be outside your cargo rush hour, but, if so, it would seem that they could be accommodated on the ramp and maybe by the building. Maybe they are coming up with some more building space.

Atlas was pretty-clearly out of there for now, so it would be interesting to see them come back so soon.

Three new flights by the end of the month would seem to require some creative utilization of the existing fleet, or additional flights being given to ABX, because the rest of the current fleet has at least one route per day, plus 2 767-300 spares and one 767-200 ATI spare. I suppose the spares could be reduced, but unless some additional utilization of the existing fleet is planned (or more ABX flights), there is nothing coming aboard in the next couple of weeks that I am aware of, especially given that the latest Atlas aircraft from TLV just went back for additional work and likely is not yet painted. If there is one coming soon from QPG, then those are apparently arriving already-painted, but would still take a little bit to put into revenue service.

Regardless, it is great news that you are getting more service at ABE.

Looks like some Atlas movements today at ABE. We'll see what transpires.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

A388

Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Have any international destinations been announced by now? I remember reading here that Amazon also uses DHL for there shipments. Is that still the case now? Will Amazon leave the international flying to integrators such as DHL, UPS, FedEx?

I also remember seeing a headline of Alibaba having an impact on cargo carriers too, is this correct?

A388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos