rampkontroler
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 1:54 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 am

Does anyone know which aircraft operated ATI 3022 ONT-ABE today, 4/8/17 Thanks.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 am

rampkontroler wrote:
Does anyone know which aircraft operated ATI 3022 ONT-ABE today, 4/8/17 Thanks.


307AZ. It's been on that route for more than a week.
 
rampkontroler
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 1:54 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks so much wjcandee...much appreciated!
 
flyDTW1992
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 pm

wjcandee wrote:
By the way, just throwing this out there...

I personally hope that there is no labor action by ABX pilots on 5/1, but not for the reason you might think.

I personally believe -- and I understand that I am pessimistic about this stuff, but I still believe it -- that the DHL ground handling show on 5/1 is going to be a serious goatrope. Maybe not, but that's my prediction, for what it's worth.

If the ABX guys go out on 5/1, the blame for all the potential DHL ground handling screw-ups will fall on them, and DHL, ATSG, and everyone else will be off the hook in the eyes of Amazon and DHL for the disruption caused. In my view, if there's a legitimate reason to walk out on 5/1, it will still be there on 5/8. Assuming that the reason for any labor action would be to punish the employer, better to do so, I would think, after the finger pointing for the difficulties in transition has passed, and you can take a clean shot. A week or so later, we will have seen whether the Emperor has clothes on or not.

Woohoo, I don't work that day!
Now you're flying smart
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 am

ABX stepped in to cover Atlas from SEA-ABE Monday morning. ABX3306, a 767-200, replaced the GTI 767-300 that should have run GTI3406 on Monday morning.

GTI3407, the ABE-SEA leg, is normally scheduled to depart at 11pm. Since the route started, it has departed later and later every evening, departing Saturday night/Sunday morning at 1:12am. This isn't necessarily the airline's fault; it could be that the LVIA loading personnel aren't getting the aircraft loaded in time. N1997A has been the aircraft on the route; N1049A went to MIA a week ago and was positioned there. On Sunday, 1997 came in to ABE about 1pm and then didn't roll out late that night like it was supposed to do.

There was no cover flight for GTI3407. Then, on what was to be 1997A's return leg, which was supposed to leave SEA at 5:45am PST for ABE, ABX was called in to run the leg with a 767-200. It ultimately left SEA at about 6:30am, less than an hour behind. Good job ABX crew!!

GTI then called N1049A up from Miami in the early morning Eastern time. It arrived at about 8am Monday and sat.

During the day Monday, GTI got 1997A working again at ABE, and it departed as GTI3407 at about 3:30pm Monday, 16.5 hours late. It has now turned and headed back to ABE, again about 16.5 hours behind.

Meanwhile, after resting all day, N1049A picked up GTI3407 Monday night, about what has become its usual 1:15 behind schedule, departing at 12:19am Tuesday. (Again, this likely reflects on the loading crew or late truck arrivals from origination points, not necessarily the airline/aircraft.)

So, to summarize, after GTI had sent its spare (1049A) from ABE to MIA for a week, the aircraft operating the ABE-SEA-ABE route (1997A) went tech at ABE, and there was no spare aircraft nearby to cover it. The spare aircraft came up from MIA, but not in time to cover the outbound leg in a timely way. ABX covered the return leg, then GTI got its outbound leg in the air 16 hours late, and used the spare (1049A) to have tonight's outbound leg leave basically on-time. The original aircraft is making its way back to ABE, still about 16 hours late, maybe with a load, maybe not (presumably with at least some stuff, because the ABX flight was on a 767-200, not a 767-300). All should now be back to normal. We will see if they leave a spare in ABE now, or whether one aircraft subsequently returns to MIA.
 
bravoindia
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm

There has been a lot of 767 activity this past few days from all of the above. Also it appears the spare is sitting in the normal spot at Gate 3. GTI3404 is from Lackland today? Is that going to be permanent?
Jet-A, coffee, headset.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:36 am

bravoindia wrote:
GTI3404 is from Lackland today? Is that going to be permanent?


GTI3403/3404 are going through SKF again today instead of DFW, so maybe that's the new route... (ONT-SKF-ABE-ONT GTI3403/3404/3405)
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 am

Just an update on the Amazon-serving fleet at ATI:

N739AX, a 767-200, an Amerijet lease return, has been going through heavy maintenance the last several months in anticipation of joining the ATI fleet so that N255CM can be moved to duty as a spare. The aircraft is an ex-Delta frame, line number 26 and 34.4 years old, delivered December 1982, according to Planespotters.net. It took a test flight today, climbed to FL400, flew around for about an hour and 20 minutes, and landed back at ILN. Accordingly, it may be ready to join the active fleet shortly. It flew with an ATI flight number (ATN739), and so would appear to be now on the certificate.

N763CX, which had been in regular service at ATI in support of Amazon, was pulled from service at ILN about 53 days ago to undergo an AD and some other maintenance. It, too, took a test flight today, but I am surmising that it wasn't as successful, given that it basically took off, climbed to about 8000 feet, turned around, and came home, cutting short its planned excursion.

N396AX, an ex-Omni 767-300 which will become N347AZ, is still in paint at GYR following conversion at TLV, and should be done by next Friday. (The AX is the Omni suffix, not an ABX Air suffix in this case.) Originally delivered to Air New Zealand in October 1994, line number 555, so 22.6 years old, according to Planespotters.net.

The other five 767-300s at ATI all seem regularly to be working. Those are 307, 311, 313, 331, and 359. The remaining two of the original 8 ordered will be 337 and 353. As mentioned before, two prime numbers (get it?) in this sequence (317 and 349) were skipped. CAM has reserved 317, but 349 is some guy in Palm Beach's X-Air.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 am

N739AX.... what a well used airframe. 90,000 hours and 43,000 cycles. I'm just glad she hasn't been sent off to the scrapers yet.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Spacepope wrote:
N739AX.... what a well used airframe. 90,000 hours and 43,000 cycles. I'm just glad she hasn't been sent off to the scrapers yet.


Remarkable that she still has 17,000 cycles until she has to have the rear bulkhead AD done. That's 28 years at one round-trip per day, 300 days a year.
 
MajMattMason
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
N739AX.... what a well used airframe. 90,000 hours and 43,000 cycles. I'm just glad she hasn't been sent off to the scrapers yet.


Remarkable that she still has 17,000 cycles until she has to have the rear bulkhead AD done. That's 28 years at one round-trip per day, 300 days a year.


Actually WJCANDEE, that is the very reason 739 was in Heavy MX. She had her "knickers" replaced.
Someone mentioned that this was the third or fourth aft pressure bulkhead done by AMES. Maybe that's the reason its been four or five months late. They haven't quite got the hang of it yet. But again..... this is AMES (Airborne Express MX) we're talking about here.
 
MajMattMason
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Just an update on the Amazon-serving fleet at ATI:

N739AX, a 767-200, an Amerijet lease return, has been going through heavy maintenance the last several months in anticipation of joining the ATI fleet so that N255CM can be moved to duty as a spare. The aircraft is an ex-Delta frame, line number 26 and 34.4 years old, delivered December 1982, according to Planespotters.net. It took a test flight today, climbed to FL400, flew around for about an hour and 20 minutes, and landed back at ILN. Accordingly, it may be ready to join the active fleet shortly. It flew with an ATI flight number (ATN739), and so would appear to be now on the certificate.

N763CX, which had been in regular service at ATI in support of Amazon, was pulled from service at ILN about 53 days ago to undergo an AD and some other maintenance. It, too, took a test flight today, but I am surmising that it wasn't as successful, given that it basically took off, climbed to about 8000 feet, turned around, and came home, cutting short its planned excursion.

N396AX, an ex-Omni 767-300 which will become N347AZ, is still in paint at GYR following conversion at TLV, and should be done by next Friday. (The AX is the Omni suffix, not an ABX Air suffix in this case.) Originally delivered to Air New Zealand in October 1994, line number 555, so 22.6 years old, according to Planespotters.net.

The other five 767-300s at ATI all seem regularly to be working. Those are 307, 311, 313, 331, and 359. The remaining two of the original 8 ordered will be 337 and 353. As mentioned before, two prime numbers (get it?) in this sequence (317 and 349) were skipped. CAM has reserved 317, but 349 is some guy in Palm Beach's X-Air.


And a heads up, as you mentioned, 347AZ is due out of paint on the end of this month (April).

353AZ (371AA) is due on or about the end of May.
337AZ (386AA) is due on or about mid June.
395CM (378AN) is due on or about the beginning or August. She will be painted in ATI livery and will be doing charter work.

Both 337AZ and 395CM are winglet birds. The ATI "red globe" livery looks pretty good on N751CX (a winglet 757 combi). I think it will look even better on a 767-300 winglet bird.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 pm

MajMattMason wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
N739AX.... what a well used airframe. 90,000 hours and 43,000 cycles. I'm just glad she hasn't been sent off to the scrapers yet.


Remarkable that she still has 17,000 cycles until she has to have the rear bulkhead AD done. That's 28 years at one round-trip per day, 300 days a year.


Actually WJCANDEE, that is the very reason 739 was in Heavy MX. She had her "knickers" replaced.
Someone mentioned that this was the third or fourth aft pressure bulkhead done by AMES. Maybe that's the reason its been four or five months late. They haven't quite got the hang of it yet. But again..... this is AMES (Airborne Express MX) we're talking about here.


I recall AMES showing the rear pressure bulkhead replacement on one of their 762s many years ago. They seem to be pretty proficient at it, it's just a pretty involved process. The whole tail section needs to come off to do it.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:58 pm

763 is currently in DFW so it appears to be back in service at this time. 255CM is now in for an A check while 347 shows it is due out of GYR on the 20th. Assume about a week of conformity and it is planned to be on line by May 1.

I'll be curious to see if Amazon decides to put a logo on the winglets. Hopefully so, I think that would look cool.
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Spacepope wrote:
MajMattMason wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Remarkable that she still has 17,000 cycles until she has to have the rear bulkhead AD done. That's 28 years at one round-trip per day, 300 days a year.


Actually WJCANDEE, that is the very reason 739 was in Heavy MX. She had her "knickers" replaced.
Someone mentioned that this was the third or fourth aft pressure bulkhead done by AMES. Maybe that's the reason its been four or five months late. They haven't quite got the hang of it yet. But again..... this is AMES (Airborne Express MX) we're talking about here.


I recall AMES showing the rear pressure bulkhead replacement on one of their 762s many years ago. They seem to be pretty proficient at it, it's just a pretty involved process. The whole tail section needs to come off to do it.


You're correct, the whole tail comes off for that AD. I saw a picture of 739 a few weeks ago when it was all torn apart. Pretty amazing what those guys are able to do. Apparently AMES and Boeing are the only ones able to perform that work, which is pretty neat.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I didn't realize that they were doing the bulkhead replacement. That's about $700K for parts, and a few hundred thousand for labor. A big investment in this old aircraft. I know you guys occasionally poo-poo AMES, but it has long had an industry reputation as a quality operation.

Press release re bulkhead replacement: http://www.atsginc.com/docs/2013/January_28_2013.pdf

Youtube video of bulkhead replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rcdq9sacQQ

Aviation Geek Wet Dream drone video of the shops (actually pretty-good video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfq-9F3rrcs

Thanks for the updated schedule, Matt and Acey!
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 am

wjcandee wrote:
I didn't realize that they were doing the bulkhead replacement. That's about $700K for parts, and a few hundred thousand for labor. A big investment in this old aircraft. I know you guys occasionally poo-poo AMES, but it has long had an industry reputation as a quality operation.

Press release re bulkhead replacement: http://www.atsginc.com/docs/2013/January_28_2013.pdf

Youtube video of bulkhead replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rcdq9sacQQ

Aviation Geek Wet Dream drone video of the shops (actually pretty-good video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfq-9F3rrcs

Thanks for the updated schedule, Matt and Acey!


Sure thing! 739 looks like it's getting close but shows it's not on the Ops Specs yet. Fleet status shows maintenance working out a few post-C Check items, then it should be ready to go. 347 shows an update for 04/20 so hopefully it'll be coming to ILN Thursday and going through conformity to be on cert around 05/01.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 am

FWIW, on Tuesday morning, ATI covered GTI3407, the ABE-SEA flight, using 307AZ, which flew in from ILN for the occasion, about 7 hours behind schedule. (N1093A was the GTI aircraft that couldn't fly, but which now appears to be fixed.) 307 then flew down to SCK and took the SCK-ABE flight. ABX then covered the return flight from SEA, GTI3406, as ABX3306, with a 767-200.

Later Tuesday, ATI's 311AZ did an air return to CLT, and had to be recovered by an ATI 767-200, 714AX, which came down from ABE.

The ABX and ATI flights are otherwise generally-speaking running pretty-reliably, given the number of routes they are handling now. Interesting to see the operational challenges that GTI seems to be having on its two routes. I assume that it's just teething pains on the converted aircraft and they'll get it straightened out. That said, it was 1997A that didn't fly last Monday. (And curiously, 1049A was in Allentown when all this was happening, and flew down to MIA later on Tuesday.)

[As long as we're talking about maintenance, I thought that that shop video at AMES was actually pretty-entertaining, and it highlighted something that I hadn't really focused on, which is the number of 737s that AMES was working on even prior to the acquisition of PEMCO, which does a lot of 737 work. DC9 derivatives are obviously frames that AMES has a lot of tribal knowledge on, but I hadn't thought much about the 737s. And, for what it's worth, this new AMES division, PEMCO, just picked up a good 3-year contract from Frontier to do a complete range of maintenance on the Frontier Airbus aircraft, which is about 60 aircraft at this point, larger than I realized (which is probably because they only fly nonstop to DEN and MIA from NYC). PEMCO will do heavy checks, as well as induction and exit, and drop-in, on-call and away maintenance. The contract has two one-year extension options. A nice win.])
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

According to the CVG airport board, Amazon plans to have CVG "support a fleet of 100+ Prime Air cargo planes". It is located on the fourth page of the document. Unlike news articles, CVG is probably the only source that knows what Amazon's long-term plans are, so I think this is pretty credible: http://www.cvgairport.com/docs/default- ... f?sfvrsn=6

Seems like new order aircraft would be a given if they plan on eventually having a fleet of over 100 aircraft (unless Boeing continues 767 production past the military orders). Would love to see a large 747-8F order :-).
Next: CMH-BOS, Delta Air Lines E170
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 pm

I think the key word is up to 100. That's a long-term plan. It's like saying that we will have 80% of our energy from windmills by 2030. The basic idea is to plan now and get City approval 4 the most you possibly expect to do, because the city will certainly try to hold you hostage 20 years from now when you want to expand if you don't get the approvals upfront. That's what's going on with the hundred aircraft. They're not doing a hundred aircraft anytime soon.
 
BTVB6Flyer
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Perhaps related; perhaps not, but in TPA's latest 'updated' Master Plan it added a ton more focus on PEMCO/MRO and Cargo additions. Specifically with the addition of a 4th MRO hanger and a new cargo area near all of the MRO/PEMCO hangers, west of the current FX cargo area.

This was not a part of the first released Master Plan a couple years ago.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 am

TPA plainly will get a number more Amazon flights, given its strategic location and the distribution centers there. And Pemco seems well positioned for growth and has locked in some good medium term contracts.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:49 pm

And, as expected, N396AX (to be renumbered N347AZ) is finished with paint and should be departing GYR for ILN around 11am Mountain Time. That's the sixth 767-300 for ATI.

Meanwhile, the fourth 767-300 for Atlas (N1217A) is still at KRME, where it went for painting after conversion. Should be out of paint around now.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm

739AX did its first revenue run for ATI today, flying ILN-ABE. So that makes a total of 7 767-200s at ATI for Amazon. (714AX, 791AX, 255CM, 761CX, 762CX, 763CX, 739AX)

396AX (to be 347AZ) came to ILN yesterday as an owner-operated CAM aircraft, not on an ATI flight number yet.
 
kitplane01
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:44 am

Spacepope wrote:

I recall AMES showing the rear pressure bulkhead replacement on one of their 762s many years ago. They seem to be pretty proficient at it, it's just a pretty involved process. The whole tail section needs to come off to do it.



Do you mean they literally divide the fuselage into two parts? Jeezsh!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 am

kitplane01 wrote:

Do you mean they literally divide the fuselage into two parts? Jeezsh!


See the video links at # 1016 above.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:18 am

wjcandee wrote:
739AX did its first revenue run for ATI today, flying ILN-ABE. So that makes a total of 7 767-200s at ATI for Amazon. (714AX, 791AX, 255CM, 761CX, 762CX, 763CX, 739AX)

396AX (to be 347AZ) came to ILN yesterday as an owner-operated CAM aircraft, not on an ATI flight number yet.


It's going through conformity now though it isn't on the Ops Specs yet so that explains the CAM flight number. N347AZ and N359AZ should both go into service on or around May 1.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:08 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

I recall AMES showing the rear pressure bulkhead replacement on one of their 762s many years ago. They seem to be pretty proficient at it, it's just a pretty involved process. The whole tail section needs to come off to do it.



Do you mean they literally divide the fuselage into two parts? Jeezsh!


Yep.

Image
The last of the famous international playboys
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks for the update, Acey! Note: 359 is already flying...
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm

It's funny you say that because I could have sworn I saw 359 on the fleet status page, but our weekly update from this past Wednesday said EIS of May 1 and I didn't double-check. Odd. But that's what I get posting in the middle of the night waiting for the cargo to be loaded. :D
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 am

Acey, We appreciate all the insights, always!!! I like that time of night!
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 am

So ATN3002, which normally runs ILN-ABE, inaugurated the BWI station today, changing its previous ABE destination to a new BWI destination instead. 763cx, a 767-200, flew there this afternoon and should come back in the morning as ATN3001. Presumably, that change will stick, as did the ONT-DFW-ABE change to ONT-SFK-ABE.

ONT, SEA, SKF and PHX flights all continued to fly to ABE.

I think this is the beginning of the significant route realignments and changes that will take place around May 1. Will be interesting to see whether CVG-ABE comes back on that date.
 
User avatar
AirportRival
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

I saw truck loads of brand new Amazon ULD's being taken to DHL's CVG facility this morning. Doesn't seem like the theory that they will continue their current operation of building pallets at outstations and just transferring them at the hub isn't holding up.
A319, A320, A321, B1900F, B737-400, B737-400F, B737-700, B737-800, B757-200, B757-200F, B767-200F, B767-300F, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, ERJ-145, E-170, E-175, MD-80, SD3-60F
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:45 pm

AirportRival wrote:
I saw truck loads of brand new Amazon ULD's being taken to DHL's CVG facility this morning. Doesn't seem like the theory that they will continue their current operation of building pallets at outstations and just transferring them at the hub isn't holding up.

Thanks for that information, I think you are right. I know it's been mentioned in most articles that Amazon plans on using DHL's sort facility. If they were not going to sort individual packages, they would have started their operations in the North Cargo complex and not at DHL's site. I think we are also going to see them partnering and I think we could see Amazon Cargo on DHL flights very soon.
Next: CMH-BOS, Delta Air Lines E170
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

My take is:

Sorting? Some but not all. Eventually but not quite yet.

Cans? Yep. As above.

Amazon on DHL or DHL on Amazon? NO.
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 pm

AirportRival wrote:
I saw truck loads of brand new Amazon ULD's being taken to DHL's CVG facility this morning. Doesn't seem like the theory that they will continue their current operation of building pallets at outstations and just transferring them at the hub isn't holding up.


They've been buying ULDs for a few months now. I saw a couple show up in Wilmington back around January and most recently, I was in RFD this past week and there were about 30-40 lined up around the building.
 
bravoindia
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 pm

wjcandee wrote:
So ATN3002, which normally runs ILN-ABE, inaugurated the BWI station today, changing its previous ABE destination to a new BWI destination instead. 763cx, a 767-200, flew there this afternoon and should come back in the morning as ATN3001. Presumably, that change will stick, as did the ONT-DFW-ABE change to ONT-SFK-ABE.

ONT, SEA, SKF and PHX flights all continued to fly to ABE.

I think this is the beginning of the significant route realignments and changes that will take place around May 1. Will be interesting to see whether CVG-ABE comes back on that date.


Any chance this has to do with the fact that ABE had no room 12-2 local on the ramp for the arrivals from ONT, ILN, and SEA? I mean just to do it before 5/1? The ramp has been packed and we have had to hold any one of them on a taxiway until they can get GTI3405 on the way to ONT.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Interesting. I wasn't too clear. I was thinking that CVG-BWI would likely be permanent, but I wondered whether there would also be a CVG-ABE starting up again on or about May 1. Your post makes me think that maybe there won't be, at least not right away. Why do it if there's no room?

I am sure that any regular restrictions at the airport would lead to changes by Amazon, as they are constantly-identifying and trying to solve issues in their air network. It's pretty-clear that it isn't at the level of operational efficiency or reliability as the rest of their AFS distribution operation.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Okay, so N347AZ is taking its first flight under its new tail number. (Previously, its pre-and-post-conversion flights were as N396AX, its old Omni reg.) Looks like a test flight from ILN-ILN. Hopefully, everything will be shaken out and it will be in service before Monday, which is May 1, the date that all cross-dock operations move to CVG from ILN.

This is the sixth converted 767-300 for ATI's Amazon service.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N347AZ
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 am

So for what it's worth, 359AZ, flying this morning's (4/29) ILN-ONT, ATN3029, diverted back to ILN after about 10 minutes in the air, stopping its climb at FL220 before turning back.

This is the most recent (5th) of the converted 767-300s that is actually in revenue service. Don't know yet the reason for the return. We will see whether they have to swap the freight to another aircraft.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:00 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Okay, so N347AZ is taking its first flight under its new tail number. (Previously, its pre-and-post-conversion flights were as N396AX, its old Omni reg.) Looks like a test flight from ILN-ILN. Hopefully, everything will be shaken out and it will be in service before Monday, which is May 1, the date that all cross-dock operations move to CVG from ILN.

This is the sixth converted 767-300 for ATI's Amazon service.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N347AZ


Just amazing she's getting another life as a freighter. 91,000 hours on her in October 2016 (but only around 16,000 cycles).
The last of the famous international playboys
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Looks like AMES is going to be busy this weekend if it wants the whole fleet to be ready for May 1.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 am

I don't know the significance of it, but it looks like AAWH has set up a new company to own the aircraft that it leases to Amazon.

The company is called Andromeda Leasing I LLC, and, as of Thursday, 1997a and 1049a were reregistered with it as the owner. It's address is at 2000 Westchester Ave in Purchase, so it's an Atlas-related LLC. 1217a (which is under a ferry permit) and 1093a are still registered to Titan. Interesting, and probably something to do with the financing of the airframes. It's a Delaware LLC . As is typical, it has CSC as its registered agent, so the Delaware filings actually tell us less than the FAA filings. There are some other Andromeda Leasings out there, hence the "I" in its name, and this one is definitively Atlas-related.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 am

wjcandee wrote:
I don't know the significance of it, but it looks like AAWH has set up a new company to own the aircraft that it leases to Amazon.

The company is called Andromeda Leasing I LLC, and, as of Thursday, 1997a and 1049a were reregistered with it as the owner. It's address is at 2000 Westchester Ave in Purchase, so it's an Atlas-related LLC. 1217a (which is under a ferry permit) and 1093a are still registered to Titan. Interesting, and probably something to do with the financing of the airframes. It's a Delaware LLC . As is typical, it has CSC as its registered agent, so the Delaware filings actually tell us less than the FAA filings. There are some other Andromeda Leasings out there, hence the "I" in its name, and this one is definitively Atlas-related.


It might just be a financing thing. Atlas might have issued some private asset backed securities to buy the plane, so the LLC is owned by the owners of the securities, but Atlas manages it..
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am

The next B767-300BDSF for Amazon, N1229A, ex Ethiopian ET-AQG is scheduled for delivery ex TLV tomorrow to Hahn.
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:59 pm

yochai wrote:
The next B767-300BDSF for Amazon, N1229A, ex Ethiopian ET-AQG is scheduled for delivery ex TLV tomorrow to Hahn.


Thanks, Yochai!!
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 pm

So the two Atlas Air aircraft that had been sitting for a while at RME are on the move today, in anticipation of service tomorrow, May 1. Atlas has to get them in position for the May 1 flight schedule.

The two aircraft at Griffis (RME) are 1093A and 1217A. N1093A is going to move from RME to SEA today (oddly, as flight number GTI1997, which would make you think it was the GTI aircraft with that tail number, but it isn't). N1217A is going to move from RME to CVG today.

1997A and 1049A are in regular service. 1997A is on the ONT-SKF-ABE-ONT route. It will end up at ONT later today. 1049A is on the SEA-ABE-SEA route. It will end up in SEA later today.

The aircraft that Yochai references, N1229A, has been in TLV almost 7 months, which is a little longer than IAI/Bedek usually takes, although it may not have begun conversion immediately after arriving from Ethiopia. This is a relatively young frame, about 18 years old. I assume that it will go from TLV to HHN and then to RME for paint at Premier, so could be in service for Atlas before the end of May.

(As a New Yorker, I am happy to see Premier's relationship with Atlas bringing it such a nice stream of additional business up there at RME. Senators Hillary and Schumer had put a lot of pressure on JetBlue to use Empire Aero Center, then owned by IAI after it was remodeled from Strategic Air Command facilities in the early 2000s. They announced an agreement in 2006 involving SR Technics at Empire, for maintenance and MRO work on JetBlue's fleet. That deal between IAI and SR Technics did not pan out. Premier Aviation, a Canadian company, ultimately bought Empire Aero Center from IAI in 2010. JetBlue has sent a steady stream of aircraft to Premier for drop-in and other maintenance for several years, and Atlas uses it for a variety of MRO services, including painting. It's the only MRO in the US that is certified to work on the 747-8, and it's a convenient short flight for JetBlue from both JFK and Boston. Premier has painted all of Atlas's Prime Air aircraft, as well as the first painted ATI 767-300, after which the ATSG/CAM aircraft have been painted at Dean Baldwin Painting, which has been Airborne/ABX/ATSG's aircraft painter for decades.)
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 pm

And the aircraft positionings for tomorrow continue on ABX and ATI as well.

ATI:

714AX is back in service and out on a regular ILN-PHX run. ATN3005
791AX is at ILN since yesterday, and I think it's time for a C check.
255CM arrived at SCK on a regular ILN-SCK run. ATN3003.
761CX is on the way to SEA on a regular ILN-SEA run, but it's a 767-200 moving to SEA instead of the usual ATI 767-300. ATN3015.
762CX is at DFW on a regular ILN-DFW run. ATN3007.
763CX is going to ONT, substituting for ABX on the ILN-ONT run, and so putting an ATI 767-200 at ONT instead of an ABX one. ATN3201 instead of ABX3101.

307AZ is repositioning to BWI. ATN9202
311AZ finished the ABE-RFD-ONT-ABE turn today back in ABE. ATN3022
313AZ is finishing its SCK-ABE-CLT-SCK turn back in SCK. ATN3033.
331AZ is moving to SCK by substituting for ABX on ILN-SCK. ATN3223 instead of ABX3123.
359AZ is repaired after its engine issue and stepped into the ABX PHX-ABE-TPA-PHX route at ABE; flew to TPA and now to end at PHX. ATN3209 replacing ABX3109..
Brand-spankin-new (well, converted) 347AZ stepped into the ABX ONT-RFD-CLT-ONT route and is on its way to end at ONT. ATN3225 replacing ABX3125.

ABX:
768AX flew to RFD in lieu of an ATI flight and is there. ABX3324.
744AX flew to ONT from ILN in lieu of the ABX flight that usually goes there from CLT. ABX3329
749AX ended at CLT on its regular run and didn't continue back to ONT. ABX3128.
750AX flew to CVG on an Amazon repositioning flight number from RFD. ABX3391.
795AX covered the ATI ILN-BWI flight today and is at BWI. ABX3302.
774AX ended at ABE today. ABX3112.

It's quite unclear what's happening with the ABX aircraft and what they will be doing tomorrow.

Gonna be fun to see the mix of existing and new routes that will begin tomorrow!
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 pm

I see that 739AX is currently flying on ONT-CVG, set to arrive at 5:00 pm, is this an Amazon plane? Based on its flight schedule, it appears it has been running ONT-ILN, so I think this is the first "scheduled" cargo flight on Amazon to CVG (not counting the ILN-CVG shuttle). DHL does not operate a CVG-ONT route, so I am pretty sure this is an Amazon aircraft.
Next: CMH-BOS, Delta Air Lines E170
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
wjcandee
Topic Author
Posts: 6033
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Oops, on the Atlas post, I was mistaken about N1049A. Looks like instead of returning to SEA, it's now moving to TPA. Based on the anticipated schedule for GTI noted here a few weeks ago, GTI will be taking over TPA-CVG, so that makes sense. And a different GTI 767-300, as noted above, is moving to SEA today. Whiplash told us that GTI would be flying SEA-CVG-SEA, TPA-CVG-TPA, so this is all consistent.

Whiplash also described a GTI route ONT-SKF-CVG-ONT. 1997A is going to be back at ONT tonight, so that is consistent as well.

The wild card is the 767-300 that moved from RME to CVG. Spare? Or a new route now that GTI has 4 aircraft available?
Last edited by wjcandee on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos