SURFER

RE: Irish 19/15 - Sciathain Glas

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Quoting irish251 (Reply 47):

Has the potential but DUB will find it hard to attract tech/transit traffic with no pick up or drop off of passengers. Sure it has the space but operators will look at a traditionally more quiet airport like Shannon or Prestwick. With tech transit business time is money and an operator will look at where they can get in and out of as quick as possible, short taxi times, no slots, no possibility of delays by ground services.
I'm sure the DAA would be more interested in point to point traffic for the use of the ramp space in the future.

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting SURFER (Reply 50):

While you may have a point SNN/PIK have no transit flights besides the BA ex SNN. The level of transit traffic is declining so any airport have an equal opportunity to attract such traffic. I don't really buy the delay thing as a major factor.

SURFER

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 51):

From speaking with operators the "delay thing" is a very big deciding factor. Average taxi times in SNN for example are 4 to 5mins that's even during peak busy time during the summer and compare that to DUB for example during morning rush hour in DUB. You miss a slot out of a large airport like DUB by the time flight plan is refiled you may be looking at a 45min delay.
SNN has only the BA as a scheduled transit flight but has a large amount of non schedule transit traffic such as Omni, Atlas Air, delivery traffic, corporate jets etc.

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting SURFER (Reply 52):

DUB has all those types of traffic in fact more corporate jet traffic, plenty of delivery traffic. The delay thing is an issue however the situation at DUB is blown out of proportion a lot. If anything it's airline policy that causes the bulk of problems.

EI320

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 53):
Quoting SURFER (Reply 52):

DUB has all those types of traffic in fact more corporate jet traffic, plenty of delivery traffic. The delay thing is an issue however the situation at DUB is blown out of proportion a lot. If anything it's airline policy that causes the bulk of problems.

Which particular policies are contributing to the congestion?

iRISH251

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm

As I mentioned, the parking location used by ET's IAD and YYZ flights allows rapid access onto the taxiway system and shorter taxi distances from/to the runway as compared to the main ramp area. Unless the inbound flights are delayed, the turnaround at DUB is a fairly slick affair and has the aircraft on their way before the main morning rush gets going.

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 54):

Various problems, there is no reasons why an aircraft should be delayed when scheduled for push back. Inadequate ground staff, gate closures are relaxed etc. Unless there is a tech problem with the aircraft there is no real justification for delayed push back.

Wind and Fog are the biggest issues which cannot be controlled and tend to cause atc delays but the majority of problems are not the fault of atc at the airport. Atc at the airport have the limit set per hour during peak time and queues are always going to exist when lining up for departure.

[Edited 2015-10-27 14:39:45]

SURFER

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Jamie it does have corporate traffic but not corporate tech stop traffic. The vast majority of corporate aircraft arriving into Dublin
are dropping/ picking up passengers and a good percentage staying for a number of days. It's actually on par with SNN for corporate movements.
Delivery flights in DUB are the same with most originating or ending there not doing a quick gas and go.

EI320

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 56):

Quoting EI320 (Reply 54):

Various problems, there is no reasons why an aircraft should be delayed when scheduled for push back. Inadequate ground staff, gate closures are relaxed etc. Unless there is a tech problem with the aircraft there is no real justification for delayed push back.

Wind and Fog are the biggest issues which cannot be controlled and tend to cause atc delays but the majority of problems are not the fault of atc at the airport.

All valid points, but I'm not sure if the argument that operator-induced delays are causing "the bulk of" the congestion holds much water. Such delays are not unique to DUB and are to be expected in the context of day-to-day operations. The majority of delays, which are largely confined to the morning period, are just down to very high traffic volumes trying to navigate aprons and taxiways that are ill-suited to facilitating fast, easy access between stands and the active runway. The toast-rack principle established at LHR T5 is a good example of airport infrastructure that facilities efficient operations at a busy hub airport.

321neo

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:27 pm

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf94/829.pdf

BA/EI make an application to the US DOT for codesharing. Things must be very busy behind the scenes!  

OA260

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:36 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 59):

This was a natural progression and part of the JV plans. Indeed there are lots of things going on in the background some we will notice and others we will never know about.

BestWestern

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

What sort of a sales presence does EI have in the UK and Spain?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ClassicLover

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:34 pm

BA/EI make an application to the US DOT for codesharing. Things must be very busy behind the scenes

Interesting to see American, Delta, JetBlue and United (among others) who were copied via e-mail.

Meanwhile, I was on the BOS-DUB last night. We had to return to stand to offload an unresponsive passenger and then we had to wait a little longer to refuel after our tour of the BOS taxiways.

The BOS-SNN service was cancelled last night and some passengers were accommodated on our service and were being bussed across the country. I don't think that would be the most fun after over 6 hours on board an aircraft, but needs must I suppose.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

BrianDromey

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Looks like BE are calling time on the LCY-DUB service from the summer schedule, according to slot requested filed with ACL in the UK. BA are increasing to 34 services a week (wow!). By my counting it makes 8 daily LHR-DUB and 6 daily (weekday) LCY-DUB services. Not bad for an airline that had didn't fly its own metal into Ireland 3 years ago. I think DUB will be one of the largest European stations for BA. I wonder if IAG will really require 38 daily LHR-DUB services in the long term? I'd like to think that more A321s and less frequency would allow the likes of NOC to gain 2x daily LHR service, for example.
The 18 weekly LCY-ORK service also continues.  

BestWestern

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:14 am

BE or WX calling time?

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 63):

BA started the sixth daily LCY in June and resumed early last month full time.

Agree about LHR long term but think BA will gradually scale back when they need to but I really can't see NOC-LHR service.

BE cancelled LCY last May.

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:10 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 64):

BE or WX calling time?
Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 65):

BE cancelled LCY last May.

I didn't realise that BE had already canned the DUB-LCY. Apologies for that. There's no suggestion that WX are going anywhere.

ClassicLover

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 63):
By my counting it makes 8 daily LHR-DUB and 6 daily (weekday) LCY-DUB services. Not bad for an airline that had didn't fly its own metal into Ireland 3 years ago.

Not bad at all - they're going to need a lounge at Dublin soon!

I'll be interested to see how the harmonising of schedules with Aer Lingus goes eventually.

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting classiclover (Reply 67):

Not bad at all - they're going to need a lounge at Dublin soon!

I'll be interested to see how the harmonising of schedules with Aer Lingus goes eventually.

I'd doubt they'll open a lounge in DUB. They'll have the use of the EI lounge imminently. I've never seen it too crowded, so there should be able to accommodate the BA and other, daily min all numbers, of oneworld passengers.

Harmonising of schedules will be interesting, I imagine night stops will be eliminated for both EI and BA. Thinking about it, can EI swap slots with BA to achieve this, under the terms of agreement with the Irish Government? I don't think they'll do much to harmonise products in Y. BA and IB are very different in front (IB arguably superior), and behind the curtain (BA arguably superior).

321neo

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:25 pm

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...ervices_From_Dublin_To_Athens.aspx

'Aegean Airlines, which is part of the Star Alliance network, will operate an A320 aircraft twice weekly from Dublin to Athens commencing June 20 until September 19, 2016.'

Another new airline for DUB, and quite a surprising one too!  

Eirules

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 69):

Excellent news. EI have had ATH to themselves for too long and this is a perfect way for me to get my Star Gold renewed
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Will FR come along next....

Still good to have them, now all they need to do is open Cyprus route!

[Edited 2015-10-29 11:55:33]

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 71):
Still good to have them, now all they need to do is open Cyprus route!

I see Cyprus is about to get a China route too ... can we be far behind!?

Also, EY had announced its Summer schedule for 2016 and it will be a double daily A332, until 15 Sept, when it goes back to single daily, but that single daily acft reverts to a 77W. Sadly no sign of the 789; I understand some will be configured for 2 class, so maybe we'll see them then.

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 72):

That's mad they are getting a route, direct or via somewhere?

On a completely un related topic notice that ET have outlined their A359 config of 2 class 343 seats. One would expect EI to have a similar config on at least some of the A359's.

ClassicLover

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 68):
I'd doubt they'll open a lounge in DUB. They'll have the use of the EI lounge imminently. I've never seen it too crowded, so there should be able to accommodate the BA and other, daily min all numbers, of oneworld passengers.

I don't think so, the EI lounge is usually very busy - at least in my experience. It's also not that great a lounge when it comes down to it. The food and beverage is very limited.

A lot of BA passengers have status, so it would be far too many people for the Gold Circle lounge to take.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 68):
Harmonising of schedules will be interesting, I imagine night stops will be eliminated for both EI and BA. Thinking about it, can EI swap slots with BA to achieve this, under the terms of agreement with the Irish Government? I don't think they'll do much to harmonise products in Y. BA and IB are very different in front (IB arguably superior), and behind the curtain (BA arguably superior).

For sure night stops would be eliminated. I imagine the slots are allowed to be swapped about, as long as Aer Lingus continues to have the same amount? You'd expect that to be the case, but it may not be. I'd love to be privy to that kind of detail in the contract!

OA260

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 am

Great to see they finally made the announcement it had been on the cards and discussed on Greek forums for the last 6-8 months. A perfect route for me personally     Another nice option for us *G .

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:02 am

Quoting classiclover (Reply 74):
A lot of BA passengers have status, so it would be far too many people for the Gold Circle lounge to take.

I can't see IAG paying the DAA for access when they have their own operated lounge. Either way, once EI joins one world BA Silver and Gold members will have access to EI's lounge, either on BA or EI metal. Similarly EI passengers will have access to the BA branded lounges across Europe.
I don't think the EI Dublin lounge is an outlier when compared to other lounges. I'd argue its far superior to any of the dreadful Swissport Aspire lounges, which are dire. When it comes down to it BA's lounges really aren't up to much these days, either. Many have shabby furniture and hot food is rare outside LHR. The toilets and showers at T5 are horrible. The drink selection is usually reasonable, but the main benefit is that there is usually someone in the lounge who can re-book in the event something goes wrong, which I've never seen in a 3rd party lounge. From December BA won't have a branded lounge at LGW, at all, until November 2016. They will, instead, use the number 1 lounge.

OA260

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 76):

Agree about Swissport/Aspire lounges with a few exceptions. The Swissport lounge at ATH is one which is quite pleasant. The EI GC lounge is a nice lounge just lacks catering. Maybe that will be addressed going forward.

BA Galleries Club are not what they were but for those of us that are OW Emerald the Galleries First are still quite acceptable.

BestWestern

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 76):
The toilets and showers at T5 are horrible.

The AF lounges and bathrooms are far superior to BA's common garden 7k round trip to the US lounges.

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:55 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 78):
AF lounges and bathrooms are far superior to BA's common garden 7k round trip to the US lounges

I've only ever been in an AF "Salon" once, at CDG. I don't recall which terminal, the bathrooms don't leap out as a memorable feature, so that's probably a good thing! Must have been cleaner than their planes anyway! The lounges at T5 LHR are really starting to get a bit threadbare. The fabrics are frayed and the flooring has seen better days too. Apparently a "refresh" is planned. Outside LHR things are generally better, but a lot of lounges have a strange "terraces" and "galleries" mix of decor and furniture. BA has a huge amount of premium travellers, so their lounges really take a huge number of passengers. I think 6-8k passengers a day have lounge access. Or the entire throughout of ORK on a busy day!

On another thread the ET configuration was discussed.

Quoting viasa (Reply 5):
heard that they will have 348 seats: C30Y318

If expect EI to have a few more J seats.

OA260

Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 79):

When I was in the AF lounges they were pleasant but not outstanding!

----

Aer Lingus made an operating profit of €45m between 18 August and 30 September, according to results filed today.

The period covers the point from which the airline was acquired by International Airlines Group up to the end of its third quarter result period.

IAG’s operating profit for the year to the end of September was €1.25bn, with the group stating that revenue had risen by 15.2% in the third quarter.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1030/738415-iag-q3-results/

commavia

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:58 pm

BA/EI make an application to the US DOT for codesharing. Things must be very busy behind the scenes!

Will be interesting to see when the applications are filed to incorporate Aer Lingus into the oneworld ATI/JV and any closer cooperation with AA.

Quoting classiclover (Reply 62):
Interesting to see American, Delta, JetBlue and United (among others) who were copied via e-mail.

That's stand procedure with DOT filings - at least in the U.S. Applicants include counterparts from virtually all other interested parties (airlines) in the 'service list' to be copied on such regulatory actions.

BestWestern

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:45 am

I'm spoilt for lounges in HK - the new CX bridge lounge is fantastic, as is the Qantas lounge. Skyteam opened a lounge here last week, and I will have a look on Tuesday. The new Plaza Premium lounge in the west hall is an excellent Pay In lounge.

The EI profits this summer snapshot demonstrate the intense seasonality of the yield at the company.

321neo

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:10 am

An Irish-registered Airbus A321, EI-ETJ, has disappeared while operating a flight for the Russian airline Kolavia/Metrojet. The aircraft appears to be on lease from AerCap.

[Edited 2015-10-31 01:11:43]

JAmie2k9

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 82):

All airlines have a major peak time of the year, its must many seem to manage the losses in Q1 and/or Q4 but in fairness EI made really good progress in the last year or two and it can only improve under IAG.

Eagleboy

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:28 pm

The EI profits this summer snapshot demonstrate the intense seasonality of the yield at the company.

But this is something that EI are trying to alleviate, short term seasonal staffing, hire-ins for peak season.
(Although I have it on good authority that a couple of 'seasonal' employee's in their Customer Relations section have had contract extended due to the increase in customer prolems relating to the new catering process.

EI are currently making a big internal drive on punctuality, new system in place will mean no more cabin cleaning at out-stations.

JAmie2k9

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Seems to be a rumour on pprune that BA CItyflyer may be looking at 3 daily service to BHD with E170 (slots held at LCY and un-named airport)

If it does happen Flybe really given them a wake up call and it will likely pave the way for a slight scale back on BHD-LHR with BA?, they are down slightly on LHR ex DUB (x8/7 to x6 most days) because of LCY service increasing to x6 daily.

[Edited 2015-10-31 10:43:40]

ClassicLover

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm spoilt for lounges in HK - the new CX bridge lounge is fantastic, as is the Qantas lounge.

The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge is beautiful! I was absolutely thrilled with the design of it when I saw it last year.

This year when I go to Sydney to see my family and friends I'll have Emerald status with oneworld so I'll be trying the First Class lounges at last!

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 85):
EI are currently making a big internal drive on punctuality, new system in place will mean no more cabin cleaning at out-stations.

I'm glad to hear that. I virtually never have late flights on BA, while many flights I take on EI are delayed to one extent or another. This is a positive thing!

JAmie2k9

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 85):

What about handling at Euro stations, anything up to 1 hour late departures most of the summer inbound to DUB....

BestWestern

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:38 am

CityJet executive chairman Pat Byrne told me he expects own-branded flying to make up just 30-40% of his operations, with the other 60% being performed for other carriers.

“The North American model is being replicated in Europe 15 years later,” he said. “Larger airlines are divesting their smaller subsidiaries and using lease-providers in Europe. That’s going to be the bulk of our business development,” Byrne said.

http://m.atwonline.com/blog/strength-numbers

Quoting classiclover (Reply 87):
I'll have Emerald status with oneworld so I'll be trying the First Class lounges at last!

The dining in the CX first lounge in HKG is simply fantastic - as is the champagne bar, but I find the QF lounge more comfortable.

SURFER

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 am

The 4th 757 to be operated on behalf of EI arrived in SNN overnight reg EI-CJX. Ex National airlines / Thomas Cook aircraft previous registration being N135CA.

EIDL

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:42 am

Bit old and the wrong engine surely?

shamrocka330

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Are you sure?

I thought this aircraft was being converted to cargo for National Air Cargo?

Interestingly, that registration EI-CJX was the registration of this aircraft when it was in service with Transaero Airlines in 1994.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

SuperSix2

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Quoting SURFER (Reply 90):

According to Airfleets (i know it's not reliable sometimes) EI-CJX is on order to National Air as N135CA.

opticalilyushin

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:34 pm

BA's Belfast - Heathrow route is massively successful for the airline, but I'm sure if they could feed their business traffic through LCY they'd be happy to remove a service or two from Heathrow to compensate. I wonder if it's easy to convert short haul and domestic slots to long haul?

SURFER

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:37 pm

National took this aircraft and another from Thomas Cook for passenger charter but have decided not to operate either aircraft. Wonder will ASL equip this 757 with winglets? The Finnair aircraft were all winglet equipped when delivered to ASL.

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting opticalilyushin (Reply 94):

BA's Belfast - Heathrow route is massively successful for the airline, but I'm sure if they could feed their business traffic through LCY they'd be happy to remove a service or two from Heathrow to compensate. I wonder if it's easy to convert short haul and domestic slots to long haul?

It will depend how IAG look at the LHR-Ireland network as a whole. Could the market be adequately served with fewer flights, but with slightly larger aircraft? Moving from a mainly A319/A320 mix to a mainly A320/321 mix. The other question is weither IAG have a better use for the slots? The lack of long-haul frames at BA and the addition of flights like LHR-Billund and leisure flights to the med suggests that they might not. Yield is what IAG are chasing, at the expense of new/"interesting" routes.

OA260

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:43 pm

I think that a BHD-LCY would be good if they were able to do it without impacting the LHR operation too much. The BHD-LHR also gets a lot of connecting Mid and Long haul connections and they do not want to effect that either. In fact the top 5 destinations out of BHD-LHR-XXX is rather interesting!

JAmie2k9

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 pm

Of course it is and no major changes will be made but EI will going A320 at some stage next year and BA going to LCY could give them an opportunity to for example reduce some flights on certain days etc. DUB-LHR traffic for BA has dipped since LCY started so I expect there will a small drop naturally.

If it happens I expect some minor adjustments will be made to LHR without impacting on onward connections once LCY has been established and if it was to be increased more than x3 if successful.

EI121

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Not sure if this has been posted:

"IAG boss Walsh - new Dublin runway is 'inevitable'"

Interesting read. I wonder could we see the start of construction of the new runway next year? How Long would if take for a new runaway to be built and in operation?

Also Walsh says that he expects EI to add 1 or 2 new US routes per year particularly to cities which have strong Irish diaspora. I wonder what cities this could be considering that most of the Irish diaspora cities are served from DUB some of which a multiply frequencies per day.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/business/i...runway-is-inevitable-34157168.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos