Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ordell
Topic Author

So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:52 am

Starring Tom Hanks

And directed by Clint Eastwood.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-Hudson-River-miracle-landing.html

This should be interesting. It's going to need FX and Clint doesn't really do FX movies.

flyDTW1992

RE: So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting ordell (Thread starter):
This should be interesting. It's going to need FX and Clint doesn't really do FX movies.

American Sniper? Flags of Our Fathers?

But anyway, I'm still a little skeptical regarding this movie, I don't see how they can fill a full length film. While not the most boring thing in the world by any means, his life prior to the "miracle" wasn't really movie-worthy, and an entire movie about an ordeal that really only lasted half an hour doesn't make much sense either.

777way

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:23 am

More suited for a TV movie like in the 80s.

HAL

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:47 am

Quoting ordell (Thread starter):
It's going to need FX and Clint doesn't really do FX movies.

Firefox.
Space Cowboys.

HAL

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:13 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 2):
More suited for a TV movie like in the 80s.

Was thinking the same thing.

That, and isn't this guy already at 14:59 already?  

catiii

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 am

In related news, Harrison Ford has signed on to play the captain in the movie about the Northwest 337 incident. They took off right before US 1549, actually missed the birds, and made it safely to their final destination. Heroic  

AirlineCritic

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:01 am

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 1):
I don't see how they can fill a full length film.

Slo-mo!

You can also add a half an hour segment at the beginning detailed the happy life and family members of the geese, until evil metal monster came and ate them.

drerx7

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Not to mention. ..no offense to the Sully fans out there...but he seems like the most boring dry person out there. All his commentary on news segments feel like lectures on paint drying.

G500

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:13 pm

is anybody surprised they're making a movie about Sully?

This is America, we'll make money out of everything and anything

"The French invented the croissant, we put cheese, sausage, bacon on them, and figured out a way to sell millions... we simply throw them out of a window and say, here's your croissant you fat bleep bleep" Richard Jeeni

tz757300

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 4):
and isn't this guy already at 14:59 already?

I agree. How much can the world milk this incident?

Revelation

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 6):
Slo-mo!

That, and a lot of flashbacks and all kinds of side stories will be added.

Expect to see a lot of much younger/hotter actors and actresses in a lot of wet clothes.

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 7):
he seems like the most boring dry person out there

Sully won't be playing himself in the movie, Tom Hanks will.

Think 'Apollo 13', it's the same formula.

smokeybandit

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:47 pm

How can you make a feature length movie about a 6-minute long event?

drerx7

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Hmm...kind of a Captain Phillips vibe...maybe a February or October style movie release.

G500

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting smokeybandit (Reply 11):

Yea. They will make a whole movie from a 6 mns event. It will start with Sully falling in love with his wife all over again, probably at a Starbucks. Then US Airways will try to keep them apart. Then he saves a puppy on his way to the airport. Then the accident

jetwet1

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 6):
You can also add a half an hour segment at the beginning detailed the happy life and family members of the geese, until evil metal monster came and ate them.

And how the geese can't get good cell service.....

Don't forget the time they had in the water as well.

It could actually turn out to be a decent movie, as long as they don't try to turn Sully into a super hero, play it as it happened and it will be fine.

OMP777X

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Aaron Eckhart is a great actor, and actually looks the part of the FO. I'm sure they'll throw in the whole aftermath of the accident and have them show simulator recreations done by other pilots which indicate that Sully and Skiles were actual heroes. That adds another half an hour onto our 6 minutes. Then, once they hear the dramatic news and the NTSB clears them of any wrongdoing, there will be a cheerful BBQ back at Sully's place followed by separate drunken romantic moments between crew members and their loved ones behind closed doors. That all should tack on another 30 minute scene, give or take. After that, once he's all rested up he heads out onto the talk show circuit, does some late night appearances, and then he throws out the first pitch at Game 1 of the World Series. Then he delivers a baby on a subway train as he is headed on his way to have a big parade for US1549 with him on top of a float at the end going through Times Square. After the parade route is finished, he flips off the float down on top of a horse, and he rides off into the sunset towards his retirement pad down in Florida. Then they list a whole bunch of facts on the screen about how incredible it was that they all survived, and what all of the important survivors do in life now. That ate up another 30 minutes or so, and now you can cue the credits.

I'm betting that it will be filmed in IMAX 3D so that the flight's crash scene will make you feel like you were really there (since everyone survived they can get away with this), so people who are thrill seekers can pay extra for that whole thing. I'll check it out for sure at some point. No doubt it will be interesting to see for those of us all on here, and I'm sure we'll have a new thread pop up then so people can pick apart the movie, the facts of the event, and then criticize the plane itself at some point in the process as well.

Either way, it was a job well done by Sully, Skiles, and crew, so I say let them milk it one last time for the feature length film and whatever they can get out of it.

Best,

OMP777X

MaverickTTT

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 4):
That, and isn't this guy already at 14:59 already?

Good grief, THIS.

Sully and Skiles did an amazing thing that day. Sully just managed to turn that single event into a career. I know very few people in the industry who don't roll their eyes at the sound of the name "Sully" these days. Just retire already, man.

ordell
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:44 pm

I recall reading that he walked through the plane four times to make sure no one was left behind. Bet on that being a plot point.

I'm willing to bet there will be some focus/emphasis on the fact he was forced into retirement just18 months after the incident as per mandatory retirement at 60. He didn't go quietly, we all know that. Gotta figure a movie being filmed by an 85-year-old director who hasn't hung it up yet would be sympathetic to a pilot forced out of a job he loved.

maxpower1954

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting ordell (Reply 17):
I recall reading that he walked through the plane four times to make sure no one was left behind. Bet on that being a plot point.

I'm willing to bet there will be some focus/emphasis on the fact he was forced into retirement just18 months after the incident as per mandatory retirement at 60. He didn't go quietly, we all know that. Gotta figure a movie being filmed by an 85-year-old director who hasn't hung it up yet would be sympathetic to a pilot forced out of a job he loved.

He also actually left the slide raft to go back into the cockpit and retrieve the maintenance logbook! When the andrenaline kicks in you do things that make no sense later.

No...the age 60 rule went away at the end of 2007. The accident occurred in January 2009. Sully was then 58, now he's 64.

According to my friend who gave Sully his line check after the incident, he was more than ready to go at that point. That was a pretty hard act to follow and even with the totally successful outcome you are forever "that guy". If a baggage loader rams the side of your airplane or a tire blows out on landing the headline will read "Hudson River hero involved in landing mishap" or some such thing. I've been flying jetliners since 1978 and I still love my job but I know when it's time. Better to go out on top like Johnny Carson than hang on forever like Sylvester Stallone.

[Edited 2015-10-03 10:17:07]

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting G500 (Reply 8):
is anybody surprised they're making a movie about Sully?

Actually, sorta am.

All they do is remakes, nowadays.  

SXDFC

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Film one of the pax traveling via mass transit and then going through security at LGA.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):
Film one of the pax traveling via mass transit and then going through security at LGA.

You sir, just won the internet!

Vio

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 am

I think it'll be a great movie. I don't know why some people here think that they can't make a movie about a man's life. Sully's life is a lot more complex than an actual event. The man has done some pretty impressive things in life.

Don't forget that someone actually made this movie. (Not that I'm hinting or think that Clint Eastwood would make anything close to this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhL3GQGfL14

barney captain

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:00 am

Maybe this guy can help with the life-jacket donning scene.....  

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I know he's under stress)

[Edited 2015-10-03 19:08:17]

[Edited 2015-10-03 19:09:55]

ordell
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:24 am

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 18):

No...the age 60 rule went away at the end of 2007. The accident occurred in January 2009. Sully was then 58, now he's 64.

really? What's the retirement age now?

So was Sully pushed out or did he jump? His bitterness seemed to indicate he was forced out but I didn't follow the news that close.

And while some of you are sick of the guy, don't forget the short attention span of the non-pilot/aviation public. Most have forgotten about him. TBH, I'm kinda surprised it took this long. We're on the second Steve Jobs movie and he died 4 years ago.

barney captain

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:32 am

In the US, the mandatory retirement age is 65.

maxpower1954

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:33 am

Quoting ordell (Reply 24):
really? What's the retirement age now?

So was Sully pushed out or did he jump? His bitterness seemed to indicate he was forced out but I didn't follow the news that close.

Age 65. Just over four years to go for me!

His bitterness had to do the loss of our pension in bankruptcy, the degradation of our careers after 9/11 and the general perception of poor treatment from the Parker team - some of it legitimate, some was imagined. He re-qualified and flew for another year after the accident he wasn't forced out or any nonsense like that. Like I said in my post, after what he went through the rest of your career the slightest event gets blown out of proportion.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:33 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 22):
I don't know why some people here think that they can't make a movie about a man's life.

Who here has said that?

Some just feel like he's becoming the Kardashian of the aviation world (i.e. famous for one unfortunate event, that he'll milk the hell out of for the rest of time), and they're expressing their opinion as such.

Nobody's saying he or "they" can't do anything.

barney captain

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:54 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 27):
Some just feel like he's becoming the Kardashian of the aviation world (i.e. famous for one unfortunate event, that he'll milk the hell out of for the rest of time), and they're expressing their opinion as such.

If you're attempting to compare what those two did that day on the Hudson, to what Kardashian did that day on the mattress - then I have to call a major foul. And a complete and utter insult to the professionals that saved lives that day.

I also don't see Captain Sully "milking" the system. If anything, the "system" is milking him - wanting interviews and movie rights. I doubt he solicits much of the attention he receives, unlike that waste of space KK.

charlienorth

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 am

Well...would you rather have them make Paul Blart Mall Cop 3?  

Max Q

Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 7):
Not to mention. ..no offense to the Sully fans out there...but he seems like the most boring dry person out there. All his commentary on news segments feel like lectures on paint drying.

What do you expect, Donald Trump ?

Seriously, he is a professional Pilot, not an actor or reality talk show host and its ridiculous to expect otherwise.
When it counted he excelled at what he does, that's what matters.

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 26):
His bitterness had to do the loss of our pension in bankruptcy, the degradation of our careers after 9/11

Been through that myself and I couldn't empathize more.

Best wishes MP.

rcair1

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 16):
Sully and Skiles did an amazing thing that day. Sully just managed to turn that single event into a career. I know very few people in the industry who don't roll their eyes at the sound of the name "Sully" these days. Just retire already, man.

I'm sorry MaverickTTT - this is just an insult. None of the crew's career started the day 1549 went in the drink - certainly not Sully's or Skiles. I'm quite sure neither was thinking - gee if I do this right I can have a career on TV - as they settled down over the river. They were consummate professionals - like many before them - but when they did their job it was captured on live TV.

Quoting barney captain (Reply 28):
If you're attempting to compare what those two did that day on the Hudson, to what Kardashian did that day on the mattress - then I have to call a major foul. And a complete and utter insult to the professionals that saved lives that day.

. Well said barney captain. It is a mark of jealousy.

I also don't see Captain Sully "milking" the system. If anything, the "system" is milking him - wanting interviews and movie rights. I doubt he solicits much of the attention he receives, unlike that waste of space KK.

Again - agreed. And even if he did leverage his good work on that day to launch a new phase of his career, what of it!
I'm currently about to start a new job and my role in a rather major disaster was a factor in landing that job. Am I milking the system or am I using my skills and abilities to move forward in my career? Who in the world does not use their job experiences - particularly highly regarded ones - to help their career.

MaverickTTT

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 31):
I'm sorry MaverickTTT - this is just an insult. None of the crew's career started the day 1549 went in the drink - certainly not Sully's or Skiles. I'm quite sure neither was thinking - gee if I do this right I can have a career on TV - as they settled down over the river. They were consummate professionals - like many before them - but when they did their job it was captured on live TV.

Well, it wasn't exactly intended as a compliment...but, you entirely missed the point of my comment. Sully and Skiles were/are great airmen and had great careers as professional pilots. They were absolutely consummate professionals in the moment their skills were needed most and they did their jobs admirably. I am, in no way, trying to diminish the amazing feat they pulled off that day.

My point was that, in the aftermath of 1549, Sully has managed to insert himself into the discussion every aviation story he can get squeeze himself into to the point of over-saturation. We don't need Sully's "expert" opinion on everything aviation-related.

ordell
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 32):
My point was that, in the aftermath of 1549, Sully has managed to insert himself into the discussion every aviation story he can get squeeze himself into to the point of over-saturation. We don't need Sully's "expert" opinion on everything aviation-related.

Is he? Or is the media going to him? When there is an aviation story, the press will turn to retired pilots who can comment without jeopardizing a job. Can you name a more recognizable name than Sully? If I was doing a story on aviation safety issues, of course I would ping his publicist. And it sounds like he has plenty of free time.

Plus, add into it that you are paid for media appearances. most people don't know this. Any time he appears on the news or CNN, he gets some $$$. And if he lost his pension like someone said, then who can fault him?

brilondon

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):

I think they will be focusing on the passengers from their arrival at the airport to the conclusion of the incident.
That should take it into a 2 hour ordeal plus the time on the ground at LGA, I think it could be an epic movie.

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 26):
Age 65. Just over four years to go for me!

I thought that as long as you qualify you can keep going.

Quoting charlienorth (Reply 29):
Well...would you rather have them make Paul Blart Mall Cop 3?  

I could not possibly be worse than two, oh but I forgot about Star Wars 1,2,3, or was that 4,5,6...

I don't think that the real hero in my opinion is the pilot but the plane manufacture for building a great aircraft that could make such a landing possible.

JetBuddy

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:53 pm

I was sceptical towards this movie until I learned that Clint Eastwood is directing and Tom Hanks is playing Sully. Now my hopes are up. But please dont' put a 737 in the role of the aircraft, as was the rumor a while ago.

Revelation

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 16):

The image of pilots in the news is usually terrible. You've got pilots showing up to work legally drunk, mentally ill pilots flying their a/c into a mountain, pilots overflying their destination because they're paying more attention to their laptops instead of the flying, etc. I think other pilots would be glad that this guy is being treated as a hero and projecting a positive image for his profession.

And even if he did leverage his good work on that day to launch a new phase of his career, what of it!

Quoting brilondon (Reply 34):
I don't think that the real hero in my opinion is the pilot but the plane manufacture for building a great aircraft that could make such a landing possible.

The safe landing would not have happened without the pilot so you have it backwards, IMHO.

flyingturtle

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:17 pm

The film will probably be around the saddened family who lost a dog in the planes belly, and their ordeal on future flights because the smaller Airbii make woof-woof when starting up the engines.

Or about Dr. Blofeld breeding intelligent geese and releasing them for attacking innocent pilots.

Or the tedious accident investigation and the complete relief when they finally found the airplane floating in the Hudson, after searching for the wreck for years using ocean current modelling and sonar.

The climactic point will be the violent struggle between CPT and the FO which grew out of discussing whether to proceed to CLT or not. Despite losing arms and legs by the crash axe, Sully managed to toss the FO out the plane, and land on the Hudson. A true hero, unseen before in cinema!

David

[Edited 2015-10-04 10:34:49]

Vio

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:45 pm

I have the out most respect for this man. His speech to Congress was amazing. Please watch this. All of us professional pilots agree 100% that his remarks are SPOT ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kePiiZ8_YA

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:19 pm

If you're attempting to compare what those two did that day on the Hudson, to what Kardashian did that day on the mattress - then I have to call a major foul.

Call it what you will, but the point remains: one incident, milked (successfully) into perpetuity, by the individual involved and others who weren't.

It is a mark of jealousy.

...uh-huh, because that makes sense.  

catiii

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 am

Quoting ordell (Reply 17):

He wasn't forced into anything and, given he opted to retire early obviously went quietly...

Quoting ordell (Reply 33):
Can you name a more recognizable name than Sully?

Les Abend, John Nance, John Travolta...

Max Q

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 am

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 32):

That's inaccurate, in fact ridiculous.

Anyway I'd rather see Sully's educated, professional, well spoken opinion than some of the self educated, opinionated, 'experts' such as Richard Quest and the even more ignorant, idiotic Mary Schiavo.

These two morons seem to pop up every time there's any kind of aviation incident and their lack of real aviation knowledge is stunning but that's to be expected, as one is a journalist who's a regular airline passenger (the source of his wisdom) and the other a lawyer who ran the DOT, a political appointment she thinks qualifies her as an aviation professional somehow.

Sully and his FO did an outstanding job that day, he didn't seek the 'limelight' but took advantage of it appropriately and has been an excellent spokesman for the industry and real aviation expert since, we need more like him, Les Abend etc..

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 41):
Anyway I'd rather see Sully's educated, professional, well spoken opinion than some of the self educated, opinionated, 'experts' such as Richard Quest and the even more ignorant, idiotic Mary Schiavo.

Hmm, then again-- you do have a pretty good point there.

Don't have much quarrel with Richard, though he doesn't seem to know anything more than any given spotter would.
Mary on the other hand.....

litz

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:45 pm

for anyone interested in possibly appearing in the film as an extra, it's shooting scenes in the Atlanta area now ...

(local area is huge for film production now, so not really surprising ...)

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/12/...t-sully-starts-filming-in-atlanta/

flyoregon

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:22 pm

They already made a movie about Sulley...

United787

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 21):
  You sir, just won the internet!

Second place... this won the internet!

Quoting barney captain (Reply 23):
Maybe this guy can help with the life-jacket donning scene.....  

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I know he's under stress)

ordell
Topic Author

Re: So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Just saw an ad for the movie. It opens September 9.

litz

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 pm

ads have been airing heavily during the Olympics ...

Erebus

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Anyone have any information about the aircraft used in the movie? Type, Reg, Airline?

Karlos

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:55 am

So.... when does UA811 the movie come out?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos