AmricanShamrok

RE: Irish 14/15 ... The (Irish) Summer Edition

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 42):
Did the 752 that arrived in SNN position to DUB to operate this mornings 07.50 service?

No, I believe the aircraft that operated last night's AG128 (YYZ-DUB) operated the AG103/AG102 rotation today (EI-LBR).

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:23 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 50):

Indeed that should of clicked with me.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 46):
Currently they dont see it working for them. Maybe that will change. They concentrate on filling up their Business Class product its quite cut throat against EK currently. With talks of QR looking at DUB in future many in the industry think if DUB got to EK EY QR one would exit. There is only so much demand especially in Premium classes. The OZ traffic looking at just one market is not what it once was thats for sure.

EK do reasonably well in F, see no reason why EY would not attract some business. EK may attract soft fares however if EY send the 412 capacity 777 and it runs at least 50% empty (a generous estimate) a 777 with F would likely make more with filling a few F seats.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 48):
For me, any east coast destination other than MIA will be a disappointment.

EI tend to play it safe so I expect it's really a 50/50 chance. For some reason them stating extra capacity to MCO is been looked at it reduces the chances of MIA in my view but who knows.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 37):
- Minister said to be focusing on heavy rail link option (not Dart or Luas) for airport as neither of the "light" options can meet the capacity requirements.

Ah yes the light rail which didn't enter the airport!!

I think at this stage is it inevitable that DART link will be given the go ahead and DART Underground will likely be given backing so in future years DUB is opened up to the complete rail network without capacity restrictions.

EIDL

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:58 am

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 51):
I think at this stage is it inevitable that DART link will be given the go ahead and DART Underground will likely be given backing so in future years DUB is opened up to the complete rail network without capacity restrictions.

Except the huge capacity issues on the Northern Line which there's still no concrete plans to fix - and which the GNR(I) knew were coming in the late 1950s!

OA260

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 am

The rail ink to the airport should have been fast tracked when the so called Celtic Tiger times were here. It was a total lack of planning. It should have been one of the priority projects and would have lead to an easing of the congestion on the roads.

----

Talks over regular pilgrimage flights from USA to Knock

Both Aer Lingus and Ireland West Airport have said talks are ongoing to introduce scheduled transatlantic pilgrimage flights from New York and Boston in the future.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0809/720099-knock-pilgrimage-flight/

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 53):
The rail ink to the airport should have been fast tracked when the so called Celtic Tiger times were here. It was a total lack of planning. It should have been one of the priority projects and would have lead to an easing of the congestion on the roads.

I agree; there were so many things that could have been done and weren't; it was poor leadership. Bertie Ahern ... too much of a politician to be a good leader. And transport ministers who never seemed to be quite sure that they had appointed to that position, because they never seemed very interested.

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 33):
How strange that after all these years the first charter pilgrimage to Knock from the USA, a key rational for the original development of the airport, should turn up almost 30 years late!

I am surprised at this; I am sure that just shortly after the opening of NOC, back in the 1980s, a TransAmerica DC8-71 landed there on a pilgrimage flight.

iRISH251

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 54):
Quoting dstc47 (Reply 33):How strange that after all these years the first charter pilgrimage to Knock from the USA, a key rational for the original development of the airport, should turn up almost 30 years late!

I am surprised at this; I am sure that just shortly after the opening of NOC, back in the 1980s, a TransAmerica DC8-71 landed there on a pilgrimage flight.

I have a vague recollection of an American Trans Air 757 or two visiting also, though maybe not on official "pilgrimage" business.

tonymctigue

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 am

Quoting irish251 (Reply 55):
I have a vague recollection of an American Trans Air 757 or two visiting also, though maybe not on official "pilgrimage" business.

Perhaps you are thinking of this North American B767 carrying a media delegation for the G8 summit which landed at NOC in 2013?

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandWestKnock/videos/10201371973882464/
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

Clydenairways

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Yes you are correct, i remember it as well. It was on the news also.

Quoting irish251 (Reply 55):

These were in the 90's but i can't remember the exact year.

daninafryingpan

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi all

Was at BFS this morning to pick up a relative. The glass screen separating the domestic baggage reclaim from the rest of the arrivals area has been removed and the viewing gallery reinstated!

The viewing gallery is in exact same place as it was previously, but with the added addition of an arrival/departures screen, a monitor showing FR24.com and live ATC played in the area. Pretty cool!

Just like being a kid again 

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 52):

Not wanting to get into it to much but a 15 minute airport service will be possible from late next year once current works are finished. Ideally really long term tracks need to increase from 2 to 4 and separate DART.

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 46):
I cant wait for Aer Space personally. It will be great to have something akin to the old days of Premier although not as nice. Your favourite seats will still be there if you book into the new cabin From what I have heard its not going to be an outrageous price.

I'll be very interested to see the pricing really. I want to see how it compares to BA to LHR and also what other routes it will be available on.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Cipango

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

HiFly were operating an EI flight on an A340 today from BRU. Did an aircraft go tech?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

sawtooth

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Correct - AirAtlantic 747, Iceland Air & TransAmerican DC8s in the late 86-88 and TransAir Tri-Star charters in the early 90s. But the SNN Stopover scuppered interest from US tour operators.

OA260

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Ryanair in talks on first transfer deals with long-haul carriers

Ryanair (RYA.I) is in talks with British Airways and Iberia owner International Airlines Group (ICAG.L) and Aer Lingus (AERL.I) about providing transfer connections for its rivals' long-haul services for the first time in its 30-year history, Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told Reuters on Monday.

The move is a major change for how Europe's largest low-cost carrier operates, it having previously shunned the transfer market due to the costs involved.

"What we see over the next five, 10 years is that we become a feeder for other long-haul airlines," O'Leary said in an interview at his office in Dublin.

"The advantage for them is they would get much cheaper short-haul feed than they would from anybody else, but what they have to get themselves mentally over is that they would have to take responsibility for missed connections."

Under the proposed system, customers would buy their tickets from the long-haul carrier, who would be responsible for checking in the customer, handling their bags and taking responsibility for any missed connections.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...ir-interline-idUKKCN0QF1OP20150810

SuperSix2

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Anybody have any ideas on this EI flight? EI1127 on 5K A343 CS-TQZ

http://www.flightradar24.com/EI1127/7142bd4

dstc47

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Quoting sawtooth (Reply 62):
Quoting kaitak (Reply 54):I am surprised at this; I am sure that just shortly after the opening of NOC, back in the 1980s, a TransAmerica DC8-71 landed there on a pilgrimage flight.

I seem to recall one UK pilgrimage also - from Liverpool?
Not to forget the brief transatlantic operation by FlyGlobespan - not a pilgrimage operation but certainly offered as much pain and suffering as any!

KIRFlyer

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi All,

Bit of a random question, I was thinking of the following the last day:

Before T2 was built, all US bound flights departed from the B gates in T1, they would have been pre cleared(most anyways). How was the pre-clearance set up in T1? Was in efficient?

I've never flown from DUB to the U.S.! For the countless times I've travelled, I always went from SNN or connected via LHR from ORK or SNN, or connected in the U.S. from SNN. I have the SNN picture in my head, big long queues, and then the "holding area" around the gates afterwards.

When I think of this picture in T1 in Dublin, I keep thinking it must have been a hurrendous experience. Did people pre-clear and board straight away, or was/is there a waiting area underneath the B gates. How many pre-clearance desks were there per gate?

OA260

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Quoting SuperSix2 (Reply 64):

Operating the ORD flight it seems.

OA260

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 66):
When I think of this picture in T1 in Dublin, I keep thinking it must have been a hurrendous experience. Did people pre-clear and board straight away, or was/is there a waiting area underneath the B gates. How many pre-clearance desks were there per gate?

You went down some steps in Pier B cleared and then were in a holding area which lacked any real facilities and was certainly not a pleasant experience. In the GC lounge they used to call people like they do now to go and clear and how early that was depended on the length of the lines. Basically the latest you could leave it the better.

tonystan

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 66):
Before T2 was built, all US bound flights departed from the B gates in T1, they would have been pre cleared(most anyways). How was the pre-clearance set up in T1? Was in efficient?

I've never flown from DUB to the U.S.! For the countless times I've travelled, I always went from SNN or connected via LHR from ORK or SNN, or connected in the U.S. from SNN. I have the SNN picture in my head, big long queues, and then the "holding area" around the gates afterwards.

To summerise....it was hell!

Directly underneath the main gate area in Pier B was the US immigration facility in what is now the opened up arrivals garda immigration hall (it was there back in the days of US Immigration however passengers where channelled through the glass corridors to the passport booths).

I think the stairs down was between gates B23/24 and you entered a small enough queuing area with a few desks to complete forms. Often the queues trailed upstairs to the main gates area.

Passengers once processed where dumped in a dreary almost windowless holding area with limited seating and a tiny coffee shop which was created out of a small office. Here you waited until your flight was ready for boarding.

On busy days it was a nightmare down there and often became overcrowded. Many will remember that a lot of Aer Lingus flights failed to receive US Pre Clearance in the last days of T1 with many an A330 parked down at Pier D.

Only those who remember the old set up can truly appreciate the new facility!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

iRISH251

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 67):
Operating the ORD flight it seems.

Departed shortly after 8 p.m. with pax from yesterday's EI125, which had to return with a medical emergency and was later cancelled as the crew had insufficient duty hours remaining to undertake the flight.

SuperSix2

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting irish251 (Reply 70):
Departed shortly after 8 p.m. with pax from yesterday's EI125, which had to return with a medical emergency and was later cancelled as the crew had insufficient duty hours remaining to undertake the flight.

I would of thought EI would have a standby crew to takeover the flight, its not like the aircraft was stuck at another location. It doesn't seem very cost efficient to hire in a widebody while they have a perfectly serviceable aircraft at DUB.

Maybe im over thinking this?

SS2

iRISH251

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting SuperSix2 (Reply 71):
Quoting irish251 (Reply 70):

I would have thought EI would have a standby crew to takeover the flight, it's not like the aircraft was stuck at another location. It doesn't seem very cost efficient to hire in a widebody while they have a perfectly serviceable aircraft at DUB.

Maybe I'm over thinking this?

SS2

I don't know but I'm sure the options were weighed up by the people whose job it is to do so. The knock-on effects on the next day's westbound schedule may have been part of the consideration as well. The A330 concerned (EI-DUO) operated EI119 to IAD today. The fact that it is peak season means that there is not much capacity available for hire-in at short notice, either in the USA or Europe, which probably accounts for the Hi-Fly A340 not operating until this evening.

Cipango

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:06 pm

I see LX flights DUB-GVA return going for £40/€57.

Too cheap for a full service airline. Is this indicative that it isn't doing well on the route or just a good deal?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Eagleboy

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:14 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 69):
To summerise....it was hell!
...............................................................................................
..............................................................................................
Only those who remember the old set up can truly appreciate the new facility!

"Hell" may be an exaggeration...however it was really bad compared to the relative luxury of the current set-up.

Quoting SuperSix2 (Reply 71):
I would of thought EI would have a standby crew to takeover the flight, its not like the aircraft was stuck at another location. It doesn't seem very cost efficient to hire in a widebody while they have a perfectly serviceable aircraft at DUB.

Ei are running on minimum crew numbers and maximum crew hours over the last few years. They don't have 2 flight crew/8 cabin crew sitting at home. 5-8 years ago they could have incentivised some to come in on days off....not all time off is at close to legal limits.
An additional factor is that 5-8 years ago crew's would have be willing to come in on days off to get the operation back on track (with an equal and positive change to personal rosters)......The suspension of 30-40% of EI cabin crew in Feb 2011 eroded that goodwill from cabin staff.

Quoting irish251 (Reply 72):
The fact that it is peak season means that there is not much capacity available for hire-in at short notice,

I thinl EI only have a "spare" A330 on Tuesday and a Thursday...so any disruption outside of this is unfixable and as in this case, requires a hire-in.

OA260

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 73):

Too cheap for a full service airline. Is this indicative that it isn't doing well on the route or just a good deal?

Just a seat sale. ZRH is available too although a lot less dates to be had. Great fares though for LX. We often see them from other airports around Europe but not too many from DUB.

Clydenairways

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 63):
Ryanair in talks on first transfer deals with long-haul carriers

Ryanair (RYA.I) is in talks with British Airways and Iberia owner International Airlines Group (ICAG.L) and Aer Lingus (AERL.I) about providing transfer connections for its rivals' long-haul services for the first time in its 30-year history, Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told Reuters on Monday.

The move is a major change for how Europe's largest low-cost carrier operates, it having previously shunned the transfer market due to the costs involved.

"What we see over the next five, 10 years is that we become a feeder for other long-haul airlines," O'Leary said in an interview at his office in Dublin.

"The advantage for them is they would get much cheaper short-haul feed than they would from anybody else, but what they have to get themselves mentally over is that they would have to take responsibility for missed connections."

Under the proposed system, customers would buy their tickets from the long-haul carrier, who would be responsible for checking in the customer, handling their bags and taking responsibility for any missed connections.

Very interesting. FR continue to adapt their business model when they need to.

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...-the-way-this-autumn-31429859.html
It looks like FR could go on a bit of price war with EI after the IAG sale is wrapped up. I think EI regional could bear the brunt of this, as it's likely to be focused on IRL-UK routes.

Also interesting would be the impact of FR doing an interline deal with IAG and the fact they could provide feed at a cheaper cost than anybody else. Again how would this affect EIR. I'm sure FR wouldn't timetable any flights to meet any longhaul banks so EI would still need EIR for that, but it's interesting to think about this possible transfer deal would work.

JAmie2k9

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 76):

FR price war is just more indo rubbish, FR fares fell 4-8% last winter and they expect some falls this year but closer to 4% rather than 8%. MOL has even said thee won't be a price war.

shamrock604

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Pan Am once flew to Cork? WTF?

http://www.departedflights.com/PA020172.html

iRISH251

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 78):

You'll need more evidence than that! I don't recall PA ever operating to Cork and I cannot imagine them landing a 707 there when SNN was only "up the road" and with a nice long runway. The European-based 727s of that time did not stray much from the IGS and feeder services to hubs such as LHR, so it's unlikely that those were seen at ORK unless on some sort of once-off hire-in or charter.

Clydenairways

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Yellow dots are just hotels, scroll down

OA260

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Great map though. Some of those routes would be pure Gold to do back then .  

---

Ryanair to include rivals' prices on new website

Ryanair aims to take on online travel companies with a new website that will offer its 100 million annual passengers flight price comparisons, cheap hotel rooms and location-sensitive restaurant discounts, Michael O’Leary has said.

The overhaul of the Ryanair.com site, being developed by about 200 IT staff hired over the past 18 months, is in part a defensive strategy to avoid becoming dependent on third-party sites such as Skyscanner.com and Google Flights for ticket sales.

Ryanair's plans contrast with that of Lufthansa, which is also seeking to direct more customers to its own website but by introducing a fee for bookings made using the global distribution systems such as Amadeus, Sabre and Travelport.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015...e-price-comparison-on-new-website/

[Edited 2015-08-11 07:16:37]

EIDL

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:54 pm

What did the original, PanAm-owned InterContinentals in Cork and Limerick become? The Dublin one is now the Ballsbridge Hotel.

Found a photo of the Cork one online and it looks like it *might* have been the original Cork Airport hotel (single storey building like the old bit of it) - which has changed hands and names more times than most people can count.

dergay

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 82):

What did the original, PanAm-owned InterContinentals in Cork and Limerick become? The Dublin one is now the Ballsbridge Hotel.

I'm fairly sure they were sold to the Jury's Group and became Jury's Cork and Limerick respectively - God knows what they are now after multiple re-incarnations, sales, re-branding etc!
Flown on A300,A310,A318,A319,A320,A321,A330,B707,B720,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,L382,L1011,C5,DC-3,DC8,

BrianDromey

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 82):

It became the Jury's hotel on the Western Road, which was later sold to the Doyle Group to form JurysDoyle Hotels. Over time the group sold off most of the Jury's hotels and all of the Jury's Inns, essentially left with the original Doyle Hotels, which were renamed the Doyle Collection. Jury's Cork hotel was completely redeveloped by O'Callaghan properties in the late 2000s and the hotel rebuilt, it was closed for a year, or more. Although it did reopen as Jury's Cork it was later renamed The River Lee Hotel - A Doyle Colletion Hotel.

Miami

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 am

Looks like LAX and MIA could very well be the next US cities for Aer Lingus.

Quote:
IAG chief executive Willie Walsh has said he'll provide more detail about his plans for Aer Lingus at an investor day in November.

He intends to use Aer Lingus to grow IAG's transatlantic services. New routes that are likely to go ahead include Dublin-Los Angeles, and another service to the US east coast.

Announcing first half results last week, Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh said that Miami is one city that may be of interest to the airline.
http://www.independent.ie/business/i...n-passengers-in-july-31435406.html
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

shamrock604

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:32 am

Quoting irish251 (Reply 79):
You'll need more evidence than that! I don't recall PA ever operating to Cork and I cannot imagine them landing a 707 there when SNN was only "up the road" and with a nice long runway. The European-based 727s of that time did not stray much from the IGS and feeder services to hubs such as LHR, so it's unlikely that those were seen at ORK unless on some sort of once-off hire-in or charter.

I wasn't stating, more asking out of sheer amazement!

PA barely managed a week in DUB, with the stopover requirement then in place, so ORK-SNN-JFK would seem even more outlandish.

Eagleboy

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:06 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 85):
Looks like LAX and MIA could very well be the next US cities for Aer Lingus.

That would be great...however Mr Kavanagh misled us last year with his "expansion in Florida" comment.

OA260

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 am

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. From 3rd of July 2015 customers travelling on an early morning flights, departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service.

• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 – 22:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• If one of more passengers in a booking has a checked bag, one customer may check in all bags on the booking once they have to hand the boarding passes and passports of their travelling companions.

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

[Edited 2015-08-12 03:28:24]

shamrock350

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 88):

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. From 3rd of July 2015 customers travelling on an early morning flights, departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure.

Interesting move and something we can assume they will roll out at other bases over time. I wonder how Aer Lingus has seen this perform for them over the past year or two since they introduced it, clearly well enough for them to offer it at Cork recently. Personally I'd find it a bit of a hassle making two trips to the airport and most of my packing happens the night before anyway! It's probably targeted at people a little more organised than myself.

EIDL

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:21 am

It's extremely useful for those staying in airport hotels, as their near or onsite already. Other than that, unless you live it work close it's not really worth it

shamrock604

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 89):
Interesting move and something we can assume they will roll out at other bases over time. I wonder how Aer Lingus has seen this perform for them over the past year or two since they introduced it, clearly well enough for them to offer it at Cork recently. Personally I'd find it a bit of a hassle making two trips to the airport and most of my packing happens the night before anyway! It's probably targeted at people a little more organised than myself.

Quoting EIDL (Reply 90):
It's extremely useful for those staying in airport hotels, as their near or onsite already. Other than that, unless you live it work close it's not really worth it

To be able to bypass that check in queue in the mornings? I'd happily take up the offer.

I wonder will we see EI implement IB's self bag tagging solution? It would certainly help the congestion at T2 in the mornings.

shamrock350

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 91):
I wonder will we see EI implement IB's self bag tagging solution? It would certainly help the congestion at T2 in the mornings.

It was trialled by EI in the basement check in area but wasn't implemented when they moved into T2, apparently many struggled with the task of tagging their own bags which is quite embarrassing if true but maybe now with better technology and clearer instructions it will be easier to introduce again. The first time I used it was with Norwegian at OSL a few years back, it was a little intimidating at first but worked incredibly well overall and I would welcome its use at EI and DUB. It might be worth trialling it at a smaller base first, maybe at BHD and ORK or even LHR before bringing it DUB.

Eagleboy

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:25 pm

I wonder how Aer Lingus has seen this perform for them over the past year or two since they introduced it, clearly well enough for them to offer it at Cork recently. Personally I'd find it a bit of a hassle making two trips to the airport and most of my packing happens the night before anyway! It's probably targeted at people a little more organised than myself.

Again we see FR moving into what was previously EI territory....I've said it for years....if FR just upgrade their customer experience then with there huge operation and low costbase, they could wipe the floor with any airline.

As for the evening bag drop. Its a great idea. Imagine a family going off, once baggs are packed then mum or dad can drop the bags off the evening before. So in the morning the only hassle is getting the kids dressed and guide them to security....no queuing with bored kids who need to herded like cats.

OA260

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

It's probably targeted at people a little more organised than myself.

I have used it a few times in the past with different carriers. Mostly for longer flights and when I have been staying at an airport hotel and didnt want to carry a case on shuttles etc... I first used it with AA at LHR T3 many years ago. Its not a new concept in that regard.

I guess if you are a Family with 4 heavy cases and staying at the Airport hotel overnight its handy to get rid of them and just keep one trolley cabin case for the overnight stuff.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 91):

Do you mean this one? I used it works ok.

These things all help generally to reduce lines especially first thing in the morning. I think if more people can check in the night before and/or use self bag tag then it will all ease congestion if they do it right.

JAmie2k9

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 88):
• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 – 22:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

Not exactly customer friendly compared to EI's 4-8 service, not sure how successful it will be for them.

shamrock604

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 92):
It was trialled by EI in the basement check in area but wasn't implemented when they moved into T2, apparently many struggled with the task of tagging their own bags which is quite embarrassing if true but maybe now with better technology and clearer instructions it will be easier to introduce again. The first time I used it was with Norwegian at OSL a few years back, it was a little intimidating at first but worked incredibly well overall and I would welcome its use at EI and DUB. It might be worth trialling it at a smaller base first, maybe at BHD and ORK or even LHR before bringing it DUB.

Used LH's self tag at Munich recently, that was even easier again. Traditional label, but all adhesive on one side, nothing to remove, just fold it over the handle, and you're done.

OA260

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

In response to the news item first raised in the UK it has now focused on Ireland too.

Passengers not obliged to show boarding cards in airport shops

Retailers operating in Dubin Airport have said consumers don’t have to show boarding passes when making purchases but sources working across the retail sector in the airport have warned that a widespread failure to produce them would ultimately see prices rise.
Speaking in response to queries from this newspaper, WH Smith which operates several concessions in the airport said boarding passes “were requested from customers and not demanded” and there was no obligation on the part of consumers to comply with the request.
Similarly the DAA, the company that manages the shops at Dublin and Cork airports, said it asked all customers for boarding passes but would only insist they were produced when customers were attempting to buy duty-free products such as tobacco and alcohol.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/r...g-cards-in-airport-shops-1.2314584

Statement from Dublin Airport :

daa Statement Re Airport Shopping August 11 2015Duty free shopping within the European Union ended in 1999 and last year 81% of passengers using Dublin Airport travelled to duty paid destinations.Within shops operated by daa's ARI subsidiary, we offer a single price to all customers across many product categories, whether they are travelling to a duty paid or to a duty free destination. In this way, we pass on VAT savings for duty free passengers to all of our customers.We guarantee that perfumes, aftershaves and other fragrances are 20% cheaper than downtown prices and we are also 15% cheaper than downtown prices for skincare and make up products. These savings apply to all passengers, regardless of whether or not they are flying to a duty free destination. There are two separate prices for most of our alcohol products - the duty paid price and the duty free price, which is significantly cheaper. A one litre bottle of Jameson whiskey for example is currently priced at €21 duty free and €42 duty paid, while a one litre bottle of Kilbeggan whiskey is priced at €38 duty paid and €20 duty free.Separately, we also have a range of premium liquor brands, including Hendricks Gin, Grey Goose vodka and Coole Swan liqueur, which have a single price for all destinations, whether they are duty free or duty paid. This offers significant discounts on downtown prices to all passengers, whether or not they are travelling to a duty free destination.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...Statement_Re_Airport_Shopping.aspx

ClassicLover

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:06 pm

I like the Qantas solution to bag tags the best.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/q-bag-tag/global/en

You buy it, you keep it, you use it anytime you like.

Frequent flyers also get free ones based on their status level and anyone can use them.

I guess the only reason they work is because Qantas has a large domestic network and all the airports are set up for them. It would be a big deal to get all the airports in Europe to use them for example I guess.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 98):
I like the Qantas solution to bag tags the best.

They are smart I must say obviously no good for EI as no Domestic network left anymore.

It would be good to have a worldwide system that meant it was able to be used on a much wider scale. BA were doing a trial with theirs last year. I quite liked those.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos