Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gazdon121
Topic Author

Stansted Announce SAS From October 15

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 pm

As this is news from Stansted from Stansted airport it deserves it's own thread

Today on twitter stansted announced that SAS will start flying there from October15.

Could this be stansteds biggest passenger international airline

I can not seem to copy a link as i am on my phone

adriaticflight

RE: Stansted Announce SAS From October 15

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Great news for Stansted! Nice to see another airline there even if it is a city already served from Stansted by Ryanair.

Quoting Gazdon121 (Thread starter):
Could this be stansteds biggest passenger international airline

Ryanair is more than three times larger than SAS. Easyjet is also more than double the size.

I take your point that Stansted has very few legacy carriers.

SKAirbus

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 pm

SAS made a lot of money selling the LHR slots, and I guess they chose to move GOT to STN because it is more of an O&D/Leisure route compared to SVG (very oil heavy), ARN, CPH and OSL.

I guess the main disadvantage here is that if there was any transfer traffic (say from SK to SQ/TG/UA etc) at LHR T2 with passengers from GOT then this will either be gone or people will fly BA instead.

JetBuddy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 3):
SAS made a lot of money selling the LHR slots, and I guess they chose to move GOT to STN because it is more of an O&D/Leisure route compared to SVG (very oil heavy), ARN, CPH and OSL.

I guess the main disadvantage here is that if there was any transfer traffic (say from SK to SQ/TG/UA etc) at LHR T2 with passengers from GOT then this will either be gone or people will fly BA instead.

Yes, but they upgauged the LHR routes to larger aircraft at the same time. If I understand it correctly they're still flying the same amount of seats in and out of LHR.

Anyway, good for Stansted.

TC957

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:27 pm

STN always had good Scandinavian links in the past. Makes sense to use STN for point to point traffic since it's a good 15 - 20 mins less flying time compared to stacking for LHR, more than 50 miles further away.

PlymSpotter

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Perhaps also a reaction to SunAir's Cambridge service for Astra Zenica.

Dan  

richcandy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Didn't SK fly to and from STN, years ago?

TC957

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
Perhaps also a reaction to SunAir's Cambridge service for Astra Zenica.

Yes - good point - I'm sure they'll pick up a good few corporate travellers from Astra Zeneca.

Gazdon121
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting adriaticflight (Reply 2):

Sorry I should of been a bit clearer
For international travel as SAS fly long Hall as easy jet and Ryanair are more European carriers

phlwok

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Quoting richcandy (Reply 7):
Didn't SK fly to and from STN, years ago?

I don't know when they stopped, but last I flew in there on SK was from CPH in August 2001.

larshjort

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 3):

All that traffic could go through CPH or FRA.

/Lars

vv701

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 8):
Yes - good point - I'm sure they'll pick up a good few corporate travellers from Astra Zeneca.

AstraZeneca are sponsoring the BA / Sun-Air CBG-GOT-CBG flight as part of their plan to move their HQ to Cambridge by late next year, They currently have around 1,000 R&D employees in the city. This will grow to around 2,500 by the end of next year. It already has about 2,400 R&D employees in Gothenburg.

On every Sun-Air flight on the planned four-times weekly CBG-GOT-CBG (BA8235/36) service AstraZeneca have contracted to buy a minimum of 20 of the 32 available seatst. These flights are being timed to meet the pharmaceutical company's needs.

The aircraft will over-night at CBG for an early morning departure after an evening arrival. This timetable is specified by AstraZeneca to make most efficient use of their employees' time.

Another advantage of this arrangement will be ground transportation from GOT. With 20 plus employees on the Sun-Air flight all needing to travel to the company's Gothenburg facility onward transport can be arranged in advance and will be efficient and cost effective.

Under the above circumstances I think it unlikely that many AstraZeneca employees will be making the longer journey to the very much more crowded STN to take a less conveniently timed flight from a much busier airport while needing to make their own travel arrangements once they land in Sweden unless, on a particular day, all 32 seats on the Sun-Air Dornier are taken.

Note here that there are no other scheduled services currently operating from CBG. So these flights will be just about as hasle free as is possible. Certainly no queues. But no retail opportunities before boarding the morning flight. And if a passenger is delayed while driving to CBG they may even hold the flight!

smbukas

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:49 pm

It is interesting move, but...

How SAS is going to compete for their customers?

- BA is flying GOT-LHR: I could see most of premium passengers flying BA now;
- Norwegian is flying GOT-LGW: quite good low cost product and good airport-air;
- Ryanair is flying GOT-STN after GSE is closed: very low-end pricing competitor.

How SAS will win their customer? Will they beat FR on price? Or they expect to keep current LHR-GOT passenger on STN-GOT only based on service and loyalty? Strange.

I see this is a temporary move for BA, just as a step of leaving GOT-LON market at all. I do not see possibility to win BA, DY or FR passengers for SAS, serving STN-GOT.

axelesgg

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:56 pm

This is ridiculous by SAS, why in gods name Stansted?
At least they could have choosed Gatwick, there is lots of passengers transiting on the Heathrow route!
You can already fly GOT-STN with Ryanair, and there is not much difference between SAS Go and the Ryanair service.
The best thing that could happen is if BA starts 767 service.

We also had GOT-FRA with SAS a few years ago, that route was cancelled as well. The direct routes from GOT with SAS now are just a joke as Dublin or Athens one weekly service. Shame on you SAS.

JetBuddy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting smbukas (Reply 13):
How SAS will win their customer? Will they beat FR on price? Or they expect to keep current LHR-GOT passenger on STN-GOT only based on service and loyalty? Strange.

SK is not trying to beat FR on price. They have a completely different image, completely different customers. Yes, service and loyalty, bonus points and so on is what they can compete with.

debonair

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Quoting axelesgg (Reply 14):
You can already fly GOT-STN with Ryanair, and there is not much difference between SAS Go and the Ryanair service.

Please! Okay, the only big difference about service is that you will get free coffee & tea in SAS GO - but on top, you will get top trained crew and *A mileage!

axelesgg

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Quoting debonair (Reply 16):
Please! Okay, the only big difference about service is that you will get free coffee & tea in SAS GO - but on top, you will get top trained crew and *A mileage!

A cup of tea or coffee, you can buy a coffee maker for the price you save on flying FR. SAS hire a lots of new and unexperienced crew these days, to cut costs, you may get those on your flight.
The mileage isn't really service, but I agree. 100% miles on all Go tickets is really nice!
Leisure travellers will fly to STN, they won't fly for the free cup of coffee or mileage. The price only matters for them, unfortunately...

I must say that I fly SAS and never Ryanair, will take the detour via CPH rather than FR

Gazdon121
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:17 am

Still great news for STN to get a new carrier

Navigator

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:39 am

Quoting Gazdon121 (Thread starter):

Or they will more likely connect through other hubs like FRA, AMS etc

Gazdon121
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting Navigator (Reply 19):

Your comment says I quoted what u are replying to and that was not my comment

vv701

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Some a-netters may be unawarre that the reason for the move of the SK GOT flight from LHR to STN.

SK sold the slots used by this flight to TK for 'a net' US$ 22 million. Earlier this year they sold another LHR slot pair to an unidentified carrier for US$ 60 million. This earlier sale was transferred at the start of the current Summer Season. The latest transfer to TK will be at the start of the next Winter Season.

Left with 19 daily LHR slot pairs SK has publicly stated that they do not plan any further LHR slot sales. They have also said that by using larger aircraft they will not reduce the number of seats offered to and from LHR following the sales.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos