Legend757
Topic Author

Large Mandatory Meeting For AS Employees

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I heard from a good source today that a mandatory meeting was to be held this week for all AS station managers (others may have been in attendance) in SEA. According to my source, the managers were told that this meeting was of highest importance and they were to cancel any other plans they had. Sounds like the meeting was urgent and somewhat last minute.

I know how rumors fly on a.net, but does anyone know anything else about this meeting?

[Edited 2014-12-12 14:57:17]

Prost

RE: Large Mandatory Meeting For AS Employees

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Let's think positive. Their profits are going to be so large they want to make certain that all of the Alaska employees have the best investment advice available to properly take care of their profit sharing checks.

B757capt

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:53 pm

Dropping out of the code share with DL and strengthening partnership with others????
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

DocLightning

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Ordering 787s for delivery in three months to start TPAC service?

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

boeing773er

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Definitely announcing Delta is buying them, and dehubbing Seattle.

But all jokes aside, sounds pretty serious news to call such an important meeting last minute. If I'd have to bet any money there is going to be some news about their partnership with Delta. Things seem to be getting tense between the two especially after DL just de-evaluated AS in their FF program.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 pm

On this related note, I look at A.net daily and it seems like postings about DL buying AS seems to have pretty much stopped, like no-one believes it will happen anymore.

I do know that at my company we've have very important mandatory meetings in which we all wonder what is going on, but then it turns out to be much smaller than we thought.

One time we have big "drop what you are doing" meeting and all of us thought it was some huge deal. It turned out someone was having a sex change and they wanted to get the word out to prevent any misunderstandings in the future. I kid you not.

The OP mentioned that it was for station managers. If it were a huge shoe dropping like a takeover, then I would think it would be more than just station managers.

Maybe AS will drop the first bag fee?

flyby519

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Odd that it is targeted towards station managers. Maybe they are going to outsource a bunch of airport/ground ops staff?

32andBelow

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 6):

Odd that it is targeted towards station managers. Maybe they are going to outsource a bunch of airport/ground ops staff?

The ramp is already outsourced everywhere but Alaska. Several small stations are contract, I doubt any large ones will become contract.

Station managers would be the largest group that would have to travel to the potential event. I'm sure corporate staff just walked over during normal business if they were requested.

cjpmaestro

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Dropping code share with DL and going exclusive AA and OW. Just a wild guess.

Legend757
Topic Author

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 5):
The OP mentioned that it was for station managers. If it were a huge shoe dropping like a takeover, then I would think it would be more than just station managers.
Quoting flyby519 (Reply 6):

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 7):
Station managers would be the largest group that would have to travel to the potential event. I'm sure corporate staff just walked over during normal business if they were requested.

I said station managers because that is the only group I was informed attended, but I am not sure if others were told to be there as well. Like "32andBelow" said, Other AS employees would have already been there.

jetmatt777

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:55 pm

It's not uncommon to have station managers attend meetings at once.

Station managers are responsible for ensuring the operation at their station is running in sync with the operation at large. They are not involved with upper level strategy, network planning, etc. Network planning scheduled the flight, and the VP's give the station managers instruction on how to run their station.

Station managers, like front line employees, are among the last to know of strategy changes. Their job is to implement the changes, not decide them. So a meeting with all station managers could be as simple as just outlining the 2015 Operation Plan and goals. Give some pats on the back for a good year, work hard next year. Let's cut down on injuries and sick time, etc. etc. It's probably nothing major.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Prost

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:02 am

Possible executive changes/management changes? Or maybe some sort of training program that will be implemented for Alaska employees in the early year, and management wants to prepare the employees?

Or...I hate bringing this up. Delta's internal website is talking a lot about how they're closing (not closed mind you, but closing) the gap for the J.D. Power award. In the half yearly report card, the gap has narrowed considerably, and the report card is showing where Delta has made improvements. Alaska is a great airline, and maybe Seattle wanted to remind all the station managers just how great they are and what they can do to keep the distance that they have against Delta?

32andBelow

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:06 am

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 10):
So a meeting with all station managers could be as simple as just outlining the 2015 Operation Plan and goals. Give some pats on the back for a good year, work hard next year. Let's cut down on injuries and sick time, etc. etc. It's probably nothing major.

But a short notice meeting? A meeting such as that could be scheduled months in advance.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:27 am

If AS had TPAC ambitions/intentions. would they announce them at a meeting like this?

Quoting cjpmaestro (Reply 8):

Oh how I would be so happy if that actually happened.       That would be a wonderful Christmas   
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

AADFWFlyer

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:46 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 13):

As I agree, and would be one happier camper if that happened as well!!! A very nice Christmas present indeed!!! Exclusive AA and OW..... nice!!!

airportugal310

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:09 am

Ya my colleague at AS had to get a waiver to be excused from this meeting..he knows what its about and he said it was nothing too crazy and actually good

But he didn't say what, exactly
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

beachbum1970

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 am

I hope it's not more outsourcing of their customer service, reservations, or other stations where they still have their own employees. I will never forgive AS for outsourcing their ramp at their SEA hub. Another reason I would never want an Alaska and Hawaiian Airlines merger. At least HA has kept their own employees working in HNL. If AS and HA merged I have a feeling AS would outsource all the HA ramp employees everywhere.

Freshside3

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:28 am

Quoting B757capt (Reply 2):
Dropping out of the code share with DL and strengthening partnership with others????
Quoting cjpmaestro (Reply 8):

I strongly suspect this meeting that it's something to do with DL, too.

Quoting beachbum1970 (Reply 16):
I will never forgive AS for outsourcing their ramp at their SEA hub.

The earnings at Menzies, who is doing the AS ramp, have gone down this year....

NW

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 am

You don't bring station managers in for a alliance announcements and the current agreement does not end till 2016.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with DL now only 5 points away from AS for the top JD Power spot.

DocLightning

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:03 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 5):
On this related note, I look at A.net daily and it seems like postings about DL buying AS seems to have pretty much stopped, like no-one believes it will happen anymore.

I don't doubt DL might like to, but there's no way the Feds will allow that.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

hz747300

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:12 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
I don't doubt DL might like to, but there's no way the Feds will allow that.

Ha, they have allowed all the others...
Keep on truckin'...

deltadawg

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:32 am

I heard from a reliable third party source that has a cousin that lives with a outsourced divorced cousin in law that the HUGE announcement is actually AS is buying 55 new 788's for initiating TPAC and TATL service from SEA to LTN/ORY/DUS/PIS/NAY/DAD/GOI/NGB/LBA & KEF. This is pretty reliable!!!!  

If, and only if it is not the above mentioned fact then it is most definitely news that AS is buying DL in a hostile takeover and they are dehubbing ATL! That is the Gods honest lying truth!   
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

Jetfixr757

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:28 am

Positioning for a WN take over...the 800 is the right jet for wn/as.
Jet

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:45 am

Needing a waiver to miss a meeting sounds pretty serious if true! It could be nothing but my guess has to be its about Delta. Seems like an educated guess to make, even if we all know it could be something totally unrelated.

Don't AS and DL have contracts in place, i don't think its as easy as saying goodbye Delta we are no longer your partner tomorrow. I think people at AS realized they made a huge mistake with Delta along time ago, they are legally locked in for a while i think, no? DL knows AS will never resign they just used this as a way to slip into SEA with a trojan horse and even better they are still getting AS to feed their Asian flights.

Hawaiian merge anyone? Outsourcing station employees anyone?

nwcoflyer

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:52 am

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 10):
It's not uncommon to have station managers attend meetings at once.

Station managers are responsible for ensuring the operation at their station is running in sync with the operation at large. They are not involved with upper level strategy, network planning, etc. Network planning scheduled the flight, and the VP's give the station managers instruction on how to run their station.

Station managers, like front line employees, are among the last to know of strategy changes. Their job is to implement the changes, not decide them. So a meeting with all station managers could be as simple as just outlining the 2015 Operation Plan and goals. Give some pats on the back for a good year, work hard next year. Let's cut down on injuries and sick time, etc. etc. It's probably nothing major.

Bingo. As a GM I have been to many of these meetings. Strange that it would be on short notice, but in this industry nothing surprises me. AS is a great airline that runs a tight ship. Wouldn't surprise me if they just really wanted to press holiday and new year performance to the GM's/station managers (whatever they like to call them at AS).

airportugal310

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:55 am

I don't think it's an HA merge. Not that it would be a bad thing per se, but usually when that sort of thing is going to be announced there is a huge run on getting your house in order beforehand and none of that has happened at the Pualani Palace. And no rumor of it at all. Zero.

At least that's my experience at old companies I worked at that were about to be sold.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

peterinlisbon

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:00 am

Maybe it's just to announce the results of this year's annual prize draw. First prize is a new car, second prize is a cuttlery set and the third prize is you're fired. Maybe your friend got the waiver because he already won the first prize.

F9Animal

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:38 am

Just flew AS roundtip from SEA to OGG and back. In fact, landed 2 hours ago. The service was great, and the flight crew was as good as it gets. They didn't lose my bags, and all flights were on time. The PDX to OGG had the sky interior and charging ports. Nice bird!

Anyways, flights were fully booked. Not a single open seat. Alaska has really found a niche in Hawaii! I would love to see them grow or add some inter island flying. Any rumours on that front?

I also saw Alaska crews staying at the Marriott! That place is nice as it gets!
I Am A Different Animal!!

HPRamper

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:43 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 20):

The domestic system has reached a sort of equilibrium now amongst the majors. DOJ and DOT have gotten a lot of flak for their decisions and I think they realize as well as we do that another round of consolidation involving the big players would throw things out of whack yet again.

Obviously the real mistake was made allowing the DL-NW deal to go through. After that the other legacies really didn't have any other options to stay competitive against the new goliath.

Faro

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:06 pm

No more nuts in paper bags maybe...just to be on the safe side...

Faro
The chalice not my son

yeelep

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Quoting Prost (Reply 11):
Delta's internal website is talking a lot about how they're closing (not closed mind you, but closing) the gap for the J.D. Power award. In the half yearly report card, the gap has narrowed considerably, and the report card is showing where Delta has made improvements.

You may be onto something. Alaska's internal website is also talking a lot about this subject.

flyiguy

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:59 pm

WN/AS merger as the WN/FL final digestion is this month...Just a though

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

malaysia

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Could be a blast to notify that all of Alaska stations will be outsourced including ANC? these can just be either performance meetings or meetings that bring ugly news, but it could just be a leadership training seminar.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

L0VE2FLY

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Whatever the reason is, I hope it's not a potential merger. We don't want yet another long established airline to fly into the sunset, especially an excellent carrier like AS.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I hope there is something seriously strategic coming out of this meeting.

Quoting flyiguy (Reply 31):
WN/AS merger as the WN/FL final digestion is this month...Just a though

Why would AS want to commit suicide and end up like FL? Im sure AS mgmt and employees have too much pride to want the Alaska brand painted over with that horrid WN livery.   
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

EIPremier

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Just a random guess, but could it have something to do with the new IFE tablets and streaming content?

L-188

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 17):
The earnings at Menzies, who is doing the AS ramp,

Who in their right mind names a company after a woman's time of the month?

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 32):
Could be a blast to notify that all of Alaska stations will be outsourced including ANC? these can just be either performance meetings or meetings that bring ugly news, but it could just be a leadership training seminar

Logistical nightmare, which is why they didn't go third party before. Maybe at ANC, FAI, JNU but most of the other stations don't have third party service providers available. I definitely don't know who would be available to work turns in Cordova.

Ok my wild arse guess(es)

They are

A: Bringing back Russia far east service
B: Adding seasonal service from Japan to ANC/FAI for Japanese Aurora mating tourism.
C: Will implement an all Airbus fleet
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

F9Animal

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 32):
Could be a blast to notify that all of Alaska stations will be outsourced including ANC? these can just be either performance meetings or meetings that bring ugly news, but it could just be a leadership training seminar.

Why outsource? I mean, the airline is doing great. No need to mess with a formula that works. It would be costly, and would certainly destroy that JD award for sure.

I know that the flight attendants are talking about their contract. Perhaps they are preparing for some labor problems?
I Am A Different Animal!!

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
DL might like to, but there's no way the Feds will allow that.

What are you basing this on, the fact that they've allowed essentially every merger that a major carrier has been willing to fight for? Or something else?

Ha, they have allowed all the others.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

HAL

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:11 pm

You have to look at who was called to the meeting to get an idea of its contents. Station managers have nothing to do with a merger, any more than mechanics or rampers. That is almost strictly a financial issue. Station managers do however deal with the public as top-line customer service representatives. If there were issues related to quality (i.e. J.D. Powers rankings) you can bet the station managers will be called in.

It seems pretty clear it's an internal issue, probably related to customer service.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 28):
The domestic system has reached a sort of equilibrium now amongst the majors.

Who's to say where that "equilibrium" is? For most countries, it's one global legacy and a few LoCos in between.

That's by far what the general market seems to have settled on.... the only real exceptions appear to be Japan, China, Korea, the US, and (sort of) India. And for how long, is anyone's guess.

DOJ and DOT have gotten a lot of flak for their decisions

When's that ever stopped/changed them?

Obviously the real mistake was made allowing the DL-NW deal to go through

Based on what?

If the '00s is our time frame, then it doesn't make much sense to point to DL/NW as the genesis of modern mergers/acquisitions, considering that UA/US sparked the frenzy, and AA/TW was the first to successfully finalize.

Before that, we hadn't really seen much merger-mania for almost 20yrs (though I do realize that the death/divestment of PA/EA was a big contributor to that).
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DocLightning

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:57 pm

They allowed three mergers. Now there are three roughly equal legacy carriers, AA, DL, and UA. To allow DL to merge again would be to allow the other two to do the same all over again.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

HPRamper

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 40):
Who's to say where that "equilibrium" is? For most countries, it's one global legacy and a few LoCos in between.

That's by far what the general market seems to have settled on.... the only real exceptions appear to be Japan, China, Korea, the US, and (sort of) India. And for how long, is anyone's guess.

Look around. Three legacies + WN who all have roughly the same scope of size and market share overall. A bunch of smaller regional types that all seem profitable. You can point at other countries but the truth of the matter is most of them never had as many airlines as the U.S. has had over the years. I'm not talking about other countries. I'm talking about U.S.

When's that ever stopped/changed them?

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say it would stop them. I'm saying they are aware. Big difference.

Based on what?

If the '00s is our time frame, then it doesn't make much sense to point to DL/NW as the genesis of modern mergers/acquisitions, considering that UA/US sparked the frenzy, and AA/TW was the first to successfully finalize.

UA/US never happened so you can throw that out the window. I'm not going to start way back in 2000-2001 - and it was "way back" considering the speed at which the industry changes - AA/TW just wasn't part of the newest wave of consolidation and by 2001 TW was barely a shell of what it had been anyway. Anybody can nitpick claiming merger X and merger Y started it all the way back to regulation but that's just being pompous. The most current wave of mega-consolidation is DL/NW, UA/CO, and AA/US. Before these three the domestic market was incredibly fragmented among quasi-regional legacies.

b747400erf

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 36):

Who in their right mind names a company after a woman's time of the month?

I was shocked at such an ignorant comment, but then I noticed your signature, and it all makes sense. Stephen Colbert must have had to stop his parody program as people like you became so extreme there is no line anymore between parody and reality.

HPRamper

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 43):
I was shocked at such an ignorant comment, but then I noticed your signature, and it all makes sense. Stephen Colbert must have had to stop his parody program as people like you became so extreme there is no line anymore between parody and reality.

It was a joke. Maybe you should find more worthy things to try and be "shocked" about.

7673mech

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:44 pm

43 post's in and no solid posts.
Typical of what this site has become.
Too bad.

b747400erf

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 44):

It was a joke. Maybe you should find more worthy things to try and be "shocked" about.

It was a classless joke typical of that person Colbert parodies. My "shocked" comment was sarcasm.

[Edited 2014-12-13 13:55:42]

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Everyone settle down; it's about the mid-year scores for JD Power and focusing on ways to improve the customer experience and increase the lead over DL going forward.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 23):
I think people at AS realized they made a huge mistake with Delta along time ago, they are legally locked in for a while i think, no?

That blade cuts both ways; AS still gets $190M or so of annual revenue from DL thanks to the agreement, and AS has no interest in leaving the agreement prematurely.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Prost

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:03 pm

So I guessed correctly! Do I get a cookie?

HAL

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):
Everyone settle down; it's about the mid-year scores for JD Power and focusing on ways to improve the customer experience and increase the lead over DL going forward.
Quoting HAL (Reply 39):
If there were issues related to quality (i.e. J.D. Powers rankings) you can bet the station managers will be called in.

It seems pretty clear it's an internal issue, probably related to customer service.

Thanks EA CO AS. As a few clear heads suggested (yes, me too.   ), just look at who is going and you'll get a good idea of what a meeting is about. If you truly think that the station managers would be the first to be informed about a merger, you don't know squat about the airline industry.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos