Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vatveng

RE: Southwest Airlines New Livery Pictures Part 2

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 47):
LOL, except still the Canyon Blue livery on the plane. Hope someone Photoshops that sooner than later.

The mobile website has the new livery... complete with a heart on the bottom of the plane.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 am

Quoting UALWN (Reply 49):
All in all, I truly dislike this livery

Well, it goes well with the Andorran flag at least.

Quoting vatveng (Reply 50):
complete with a heart on the bottom of the plane.

That'll be recognizable from the ground.

-Dave

UALWN

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 51):
Well, it goes well with the Andorran flag at least.

Or Romania's, Moldova's, Chad's, Colombia's, Ecuador's... But even the yellow in those flags doesn't seem to be as in-your-face primary as the one in WN's livery. And those freaking titles in white! Note how none of those flags has anything substantial in white over those three primary colors.

vatveng

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 51):

That'll be recognizable from the ground.

Honestly, I thought it looked like the Superman S on my phone's screen. It wasn't until I noticed the logo next to "Southwest" at the very top of the page that I realized they were the same thing.

a36001

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 am

Red Blue and Yellow? Is this a joke? Who at SWA said to their branding consultants "we want the three most gaudy mis-matching colours you can get, so we can throw them all over one of Boeings finest".

They have gone from a semi iconic livery to a somewhat classy livery to this. Brash is good, but this brash is trash!

!!!!

a36001

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am

Red Blue and Yellow? Is this a joke? Who at SWA said to their branding consultants "we want the three most gaudy mis-matching colours you can get, so we can throw them all over one of Boeings finest".

They have gone from a semi iconic livery to a somewhat classy livery to this. Brash is good, but this brash is trash!

!!!!

VC10er

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:24 am

It lost it's original idea 

The old all-tan/orange was inspired by the mountains, plateaus and dessert of the southwest. It was NEVER pretty, but it did look like the idea it was inspired by. The blue was meant to add the big blue sky and help the livery not look so drab 1970's - now the idea is gone. It's just visually loud. Hey, it's Southwest, not ever meant to be stylish - I just wish I saw an idea that evokes something.

It certainly will stand out on a runway!

rj777

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 am

At BWI getting ready to head back to MKE, the new logo is already on the Arrivals & Departures boards!

BestWestern

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:24 pm

In comparison to the Delta and American liveries and logos, this is second rate, alongside the united mess.

commavia

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Southwest's website has now gone live with a few elements of the new branding, including the new heart logo - which I actually like. I actually think those shades of red, yellow and blue look good as "stripes" across the "badge" of the heart logo, but personally, I still don't like the way they look on the plane.

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:36 pm

I dub thee the Circus Livery*

*I called it!

I actually thought it would have just updated the font and, in keeping with the places colors, gone with a "Forest Green" (replace the blue with green and the red with blue) or "Mountain Grey" livery (replace the blue with grey and the red with green).

av8orwalk

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Looks like the ticket counter in Dallas was updated overnight. Lookin' good!

http://imgur.com/nU0y60o

GSPSPOT

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Quoting av8orwalk (Reply 61):

Saw that on the local morning news. Translates MUCH better to the terminal/ticket counter environment than it looks on the a/c without a doubt.

Quoting VC10er (Reply 56):
The old all-tan/orange was inspired by the mountains, plateaus and dessert of the southwest. It was NEVER pretty, but it did look like the idea it was inspired by. The blue was meant to add the big blue sky and help the livery not look so drab 1970's - now the idea is gone. It's just visually loud.

VERY well-put!

Sooner787

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm curious of how they will integrate this new livery with all the

state flag planes they have in their fleet.

Or will they special liveries be a casualty of the re-branding?

justplanenutz

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Not sure what all the fuss is--the iconic Southwest livery was replaced ~15 years ago. This is just another update, one that is more modern, cleaner and likely cheaper. It is MEANT to be different (who knew white/grey planes with splashes of red/blue were so popular).

For the record, the best liveries EVER were Braniff. Whether you prefer Jellybean, Flying Colors or Ultra is a matter of personal preference.

LoneStarMike

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:22 pm

And where does all this white come from when there was none before? Not only in the title (hideous), but also in the separations between colors in the tail (they were in non-primary yellow before)

Their original livery had white titles, white pinstripes separating the three larger stripes on the tail and the windows were outlined in white.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

LoneStarMike

N766UA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Ya know, after reading through all of the SWA literature (propoganda?) about the new livery and seeing the jet from a few new angles, I actually don't hate it. In fact, I rather like the heart on the belly. The tail is uninspired and dull, and doesn't really say anything to me... just reminds me of a lollipop, honestly... but it's certainly still Southwesty. I prefer canyon blue, but at least it'll still stand out.

hufftheweevil

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:31 pm

The orange and mustard of the original livery were unique. This looks like it's been designed by a child with a basic 6-crayon box of Crayola. I can't imagine WN without the orange. And where does all this white come from when there was none before? Not only in the title (hideous), but also in the separations between colors in the tail (they were in non-primary yellow before). And why did they get rid of the titles in the tail? All in all, I truly dislike this livery (while I'm starting to like AA's more and more).

Those are exactly my thoughts.

However, I must say that seeing the little heart on the bottom....that's an excellent touch. And if the "yellow" turns out to be more orangish and not so bright in person, I may actually grow to like this one.

jreuschl

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:32 pm

We'll probably get over it. It does look better on the website and in the ticketing area. I think they still could have kept the nice red belly, and made Southwest look a little less cartoonish by having it so big.

ER757

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Like the blue - the red and yellow, not so much. And the titles are awful.

That is a nice touch.

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 62):
Quoting av8orwalk (Reply 61):

Saw that on the local morning news. Translates MUCH better to the terminal/ticket counter environment than it looks on the a/c without a doubt.

Agreed

DCA-ROCguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Well, another die-cast I need to get of a new livery. I'll join the collective sigh of relief that WN didn't go Euro-White.

It's OK, but would be better with orange instead of the bright yellow, as others have noted. And make the dividing lines the old goldish color. Also, make the heart on the bottom of the plane bigger, it'll stand out more.

Jim

jmw99ttu

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm passing through DEN right now and the new branding is on the arrivals/departure boards here as well.

At first glance I thought this new livery was terrible, but it's already growing on me some. Like many others, I feel the yellow is a little harsh. I also find the small heart by the boarding door a little odd. I'll try to hold off loving or hating it until I see it in person.

JetBuddy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Looking at it makes me hungry.. and somehow I doubt that's what they intended.

I'd love their original livery back... including flight attendants in hotpants and gogo boots. But I'm not holding my breath.

[Edited 2014-09-08 07:51:41]

william

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm

9lflyguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4j1mV5e-6A

I actually kind of like it in actual light!

JetBuddy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Quoting william (Reply 73):

Here it is

http://www.southwest-heart.com/

It looks pretty fresh from that angle.

MaverickTTT

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 pm

It actually looks really good in the daylight. I despised it when I first saw it, but now I'm good with it.

Here's a video of it being painted.

garpd

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Seriously, A.net seems to be populated by a lot of armchair non-experts, spoiled brats and "my opinion is more important" type folks.

You constantly bemoan the new euro-white trend of liveries, screaming for more colour.
But when WN deliver a colourful and eye catching livery, you're baulking at it?

UALWN

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 65):
Their original livery had white titles

Yes, but it was white on mustard (yellow/orange on mustard would have been hard to read). In the current livery it's orange on blue, which looks much better than white on blue.

ridgid727

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 72):
Looking at it makes me hungry.. and somehow I doubt that's what they intended.

Then go out and eat to your hearts content.

The traveling public will like it. My neighbor can't say enough good about WN. He flys 5 to 6 times a week, and has earned companion passes for the last 7 or 8 years. He can take his wife with him wherever he wants. Those are the people that keep WN in the air, and not those that get hungry looking at the new livery

[Edited 2014-09-08 07:59:46]

N766UA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 77):
You constantly bemoan the new euro-white trend of liveries, screaming for more colour.

Meh, you're right. Compared to essentially all of Europe... this one's a winner!  

dumbell2424

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:57 pm

In actual sunlight, it doesn't look half bad IMO

http://twitter.com/AirlineReporter/status/508987795080486912/photo/1

@AirlineReporter
A good look at Heart One on the ramp at DAL #southwestheart

9lflyguy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzKckUmy1Ho

And the paint process!

americanairdfw

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:59 pm

JetBuddy

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 79):
Then go out and eat to your hearts content.

The traveling public will like it. My neighbor can't say enough good about WN. He flys 5 to 6 times a week, and has earned companion passes for the last 7 or 8 years. He can take his wife with him wherever he wants. Those are the people that keep WN in the air, and not those that get hngy looking at the new livery

I hope they charge extra for food on board, the new livery will help the sales.

But seriously, yes you're right. I've never flown on Southwest and probably never will. The general public don't care that much about liveries anyway.

Designs have a tendency to grow on people. Just like with the BMW 5-series that came in 2003, the Bangle design. People hated it, then suddenly it was the hottest thing out there and still looks like a modern design. Same with the AA livery.. I was very sceptical towards that one, mostly because I love bare metal liveries and hated seeing the old AA one go. But I'm really loving the new AA livery now. It looks fantastic. I suspect we'll get the same reactions with this Southwest livery. I'm already starting to like it, esepcially when you see it in daylight and in flight.

Western727

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Hmmm...WN's livery's growing on me a lot quicker than AA's has.

I know, it's just a livery, but as a guy in marketing and corporate branding, I still have a hard time with AA's tail design. I frequent WN and AA, being an AUS-based domestic FF. I find myself struggling with AA's new livery when I'm at DFW, including my most recent connection there two weeks ago. I have hopes that they'll revise it within a couple of years to tone down the loud & gaudy tail design.

pasu129

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 pm

They did on their website as well, guess this is permanent...

Southwest Airlines

[Edited 2014-09-08 08:19:32]

Quantos

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:21 pm

I like the colors themselves. The geometry is fine as well. I just think the tail is a bit weird looking with no text or logo on it.

ckfred

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting iksu (Reply 39):

And people are bashing AA's new livery, have they seen this? The ugliest livery in USA just got even more ugly. I guess that's progress of some kind... That's just awful!

It's still better than what Hughes Air West had in the 1970s, bright yellow planes with purple trim and a very strange font. And, when the planes were dirty, the yellow was even more hideous.

Dallas

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 86):
They did on their website as well, guess this is permanent...

Southwest Airlines

So, are you getting a new screen name?   

Silver1SWA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Seriously, A.net seems to be populated by a lot of armchair non-experts, spoiled brats and "my opinion is more important" type folks.

I'm seriously tired of this "at least it's not euro-white" argument. That doesn't give an ugly design a pass, IMO. And the white trend was what, 10+ years ago?

Anyway, I could get used to this new livery. Still, my biggest issue with it is the winglets. Tone those down a bit, maybe paint them blue and I think it will look much better.

Tugger

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 16):
And with this new livery rollout, the brick just made relations with its employees that are still in labor negotiations much, much more difficult. It's hard to plead poverty when you're committing to rolling out an entirely new brand initiative.

Meh, I don't think one means the other. They are separate issues really. And one of managements most important tasks is to keep the brand up, to keep sales moving forward. Negotiations with the employees will go well or they won't based on other elements than a new livery. Only if they go very wrong would it ever really become an issue.

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 11):
As I've said several times during this discussion, I'm no fan of the current livery, but getting rid of the red underbody is just wrong.
Quoting f18raider (Reply 17):
Side by side:

I am actually liking the new blue more than the "canyon blue". (By the way, what the heck is "canyon" blue? What canyon is blue or how do they relate? Never understood it, it was just a name.)

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 68):
I think they still could have kept the nice red belly, and made Southwest look a little less cartoonish by having it so big.

I'll agree with this. I think the red belly would have been a good thing to do with the new livery (a nod to the "red bellied warbirds of yore) and the titles, in my own irrelevant opinion, should be above the windows (or go all out and put appliques on windows so they appear white and get rid of the "gunshot" effect").

Tugg

Silver1SWA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 91):
Meh, I don't think one means the other. They are separate issues really. And one of managements most important tasks is to keep the brand up, to keep sales moving forward. Negotiations with the employees will go well or they won't based on other elements than a new livery. Only if they go very wrong would it ever really become an issue.

I'm already hearing "they don't have money to give us a raise but have money to paint the planes?"

N766UA

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Quoting Dallas (Reply 89):
So, are you getting a new screen name?

Oh yeah! He lost the royal rumor rumble!! Man that's gotta be one of the biggest defeats in website history, too. How embarrassing.

ont 737

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I was nervous when I saw the leaked photos. After seeing it up close (and in sunlight), I like it.

Also there were two -300s in a hangar next to it. When I see the two paint jobs next to each other, I like the new one better.

Side note, when we were able to walk up to it and take photos, the most popular photo was to laydown and snap a pitcure of the heart on the belly.

Rdh3e

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Quoting AmericanAirDFW (Reply 83):

Why does that pic have a scimitar on one side and not the other?

Dallas

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 95):
Why does that pic have a scimitar on one side and not the other?

I thought the same, then I looked a bit closer. It is hard to tell at first glance, but there are two scimitars.

americanairdfw

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 95):

Thats part of the background on the mobile site , i used the save image as feature and i guess it cut off the scimitar or maybe its the angle? It didnt save the background so it was replaced with white on here

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Quoting AmericanAirDFW (Reply 83):

It looks particularly well from that angle  

I say the same thing.
I get called immature   

Quoting Reply 94):
Also there were two -300s in a hangar next to it. When I see the two paint jobs next to each other, I like the new one better.

I wonder how long it'll take to repaint the entire fleet!    I imagine not all the -300s and no -500s will get it.

MaverickTTT

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 98):
I wonder how long it'll take to repaint the entire fleet!    I imagine not all the -300s and no -500s will get it.
WFAA's Jason Whitely is reporting that SWA is saying seven years. You've got to figure that the -300/-500 fleet likely won't see the new livery.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos